Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Sean Strickland world championship match.
This poll is closed.
No. 2 4.88%
gently caress you. 22 53.66%
I'm going to stop watching the UFC. 8 19.51%
I stopped watching the UFC years ago. 9 21.95%
Total: 41 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Shumagorath posted:

I know Jon Jones has snuffed out what little faith most of us had in USADA, but the spectacular falls of Hendricks and Weidman can’t be explained by time alone.

The crazy thing with Weidman is you kinda forget he lost his title almost 8 years ago now. So it's a long way off from where he was. He was only 31 when he lost to Rockhold and the fall off following was pretty damning. He got blasted with knees trying to shoot double legs on Romero and then Mousasi, barely managed to outsize fat Kelvin and then forgot you need to actually block right hands against Souza - seriously remember this fight?

I remember posting from round 1 that Weidman seemed to just completely be ignoring Souza throwing overhand rights and if he didn't start rolling or blocking them he was going to wear one and go to sleep and by the third round one got home and put him out.

I think it's a combination. The Usada thing was the right time as his fall off but three brutal knock outs in quick succession can definitely take your chin away. His knees were already shot in his twenties so I just don't know how much he's able to do that long cardio that tends to help with avoiding knockouts and aiding recovery etc.

Either way you spin it - it's a marked change in performance in a very truncated timeline.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Gastelum was horrid with his nutrition for a long, long time. Worked with Dolce once and made weight easily and then said something along the lines of dolce was too expensive to have in his fight camps for the info he provided and promptly got fat again.

But he's been seen drinking beers and eating burgers in the days leading up to fights in the past.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

One of the cooler fighters I had an interaction with was Bendo. We struck up a convo about nfl on twitter and had a conversation for about 2 hours in the DMs just geeking out about mma and nfl.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

This card will suck but at least theres a chance for some entertaining clashes. Also havin' a lol at Israel and Strickland both looking like absolute clowns but adesenya some how seeming just sadder and dumber. I just cannot bring myself to give a poo poo about that fight at all.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

kimbo305 posted:

When Conor's back? From what?

I would assume he needs to get checked and cleared by medical staff for his shattered leg to get licensed in most states in the US, plus as far as I'm aware he's still not back in the testing pool. I know the most concrete date I can find was back a month ago when he was yet to re-enter the pool and you need to be getting tested for 6 months before you can be cleared.

I would assume he's having private testing done and will enter as soon as the PCT is out of his system and he's lost a little weight to make the cut to 155 to avoid the metabolites showing up from body fat but realistically who knows. For all we know his leg still isn't right.

EDIT:

One of my friends was speculating today that Israel might be a little over fighting. His fight with Alex was the last L he had on his record that he wanted to overcome, he went pro something like 13 years ago and has talked openly about wanting a family one day. I thought on the weekend that while Strickland looked the best he's ever looked, Izzy just didn't seem to have prepared or have much of a gameplan - or one that I would have expected and father time is undefeated.

BlindSite fucked around with this message at 09:30 on Sep 13, 2023

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

I kinda think its fine. It's probably a good test for paddy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Can we not derail every sports thread with politic takes. Go to cspam or something.