Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Sean Strickland world championship match.
This poll is closed.
No. 2 4.88%
gently caress you. 22 53.66%
I'm going to stop watching the UFC. 8 19.51%
I stopped watching the UFC years ago. 9 21.95%
Total: 41 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Lucasar
Jan 25, 2005

save a few for lefty too

Marching Powder posted:

one more thing about weidman, i have never seen anyone do that to kelvin gastellum. before or since.

I think Kelvin being able to commit to welterweight is one of my biggest what-ifs in MMA. I don't think he would've been champion (Woodley beat him and Usman probably would have as well) but he'd be a big problem for basically everybody else in the division.

Adesanya vs Gastelum I think is often overlooked as an all timer fight because it goes to a decision but for me that is one of the most watchable back and forth fights with a really compelling difference in body type, physical gifts, tactics, and preferred styles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lucasar
Jan 25, 2005

save a few for lefty too
You may want to start with the Machida as it's a bit longer and gives you a better sense of how well he was able to handle himself.

Lucasar
Jan 25, 2005

save a few for lefty too

Brut posted:

Is Topuria vs Holloway the fight to make, and then if Holloway wins convincingly you give him a 4th shot at Volk?

Give Topuria the title shot already!

Have Holloway do a vanity fight with O'Malley or something.

Lucasar
Jan 25, 2005

save a few for lefty too

Brut posted:

Yeah I guess I'm with you that Topuria deserves the shot.

I'm maybe with you on the "or something" for Holloway but I'm sick of champs moving up a weight class with 0 defenses, gently caress that, Merab deserves the 135 title shot.

Agreed on Merab. I was just trying to think of reasonable match-ups that would get Max paid.

Lucasar
Jan 25, 2005

save a few for lefty too
I think what makes a great champion is when one leaves the division better than they found it because they make everybody rise to their level.

Obviously Anderson was going to be susceptible to strong wrestlers, but his striking was so far ahead of the mean for his period that he forced all the strikers to become better in order to have any hope at all, and all the wrestlers had to shore up their striking and work on their entries just to deal with him.

Look at the progression of American style wrestlers who challenged Andy. From Hendo to Chael to Weidman you can see the game being forced to catch up to him before it can pass him.

Lucasar
Jan 25, 2005

save a few for lefty too
Just thought of this and I am going to :justpost: it before I forget it rather than waiting until it actually becomes relevant to the discussion.

ahem...

Ian Machado "About Nothing" Garry.

Thank you and good night.

Lucasar
Jan 25, 2005

save a few for lefty too
After all, the new best base for MMA is being a goober named Sean.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lucasar
Jan 25, 2005

save a few for lefty too
My first UFC was 100 to see how Brock would fare, though I ended up enjoying watching GSP breakdance all over Alves and seeing Hendo uncork an all time KO on Bisping.

I didn't really start following it though until later. I was housesitting and through boredom and curiosity started watching some old UFC cards that had been on Netflix back in the day. I remember being specifically impressed by Jon Jones. I started following it pretty religiously after that and only recently have I started to just skip cards altogether.