Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Technowrite
Jan 18, 2006

I first battled the Metroids on Planet Zebes.
I hope they don't have a different sales page for each SKU because holy gently caress is it going to be annoying to try and get one on Friday if you're frantically reloading five pages to get to a buy it now screen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Spitesworth
Dec 31, 2007
Yoink.
You can "add to cart" from the shop landing page that shows all the different SKUs. No need to click through.

Technowrite
Jan 18, 2006

Dr. Spitesworth posted:

You can "add to cart" from the shop landing page that shows all the different SKUs. No need to click through.

Good deal. I just want one and I don't want to get all the way to the end and get screwed over because the user experience was not thought out.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

SeANMcBAY posted:

Maybe try connecting it to your Switch and updating the controller firmware in settings then try it again on the Pocket?

Tried it but they were fine, turns out the issue besides PEKBAC was you have to press the B button instead of A to confirm pairing. I was using the M30 to start the pairing process thus my confusion.

Since the Dock only allows 2 Bluetooth controllers, what 2.4 GHz controllers do you goons like?

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Island Nation posted:

Tried it but they were fine, turns out the issue besides PEKBAC was you have to press the B button instead of A to confirm pairing. I was using the M30 to start the pairing process thus my confusion.

Since the Dock only allows 2 Bluetooth controllers, what 2.4 GHz controllers do you goons like?

According to their documentation it’s 2.4 controllers that only allow 2 and Bluetooth allows 4 at once.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

mysteryberto posted:

The cartridge slot wasn’t a big draw for me but it’s cool to have! I picked up a Japanese copy of the game Warioware Twisted from eBay for $30. The cartridge has a rumble pack and gyroscope. There’s over 200 tiny mini games and most use the gyroscope. It’s a very bizarre and fun game. The Japanese version frequently sells for half or less of the English version. The game is action driven and I feel I’m not missing much by having it in Japanese. Plus google translate on the phone can cover a lot.

I picked this up and drat it's such a fun game. I have a question/warning though: I got the English version and it wouldn't boot on Pocket, told me to clean the pins. So I did this a few times, disassembling and using IPA to scrub the pins (there was some corrosion but nothing crazy). It kept refusing to boot until I tried it on Game Boy Micro, it worked no problem, then I put it in Pocket and it booted fine.

Anyone run into this situation, where cartridge apparently doesn't boot unless played on other hardware first? I'm wondering if Pocket stumbles over Warioware Twisted's gyro calibration the first time, or if my cartridge was really just that dirty, or if there was save file corruption or what.

Technowrite
Jan 18, 2006

And now we frantically refresh the Analogue page. Good luck, folks.

EDIT: gently caress YES I GOT A RED ONE

Technowrite fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Sep 29, 2023

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life
I got the transparent purple! Hell yeah

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

I managed to snag a blue Pocket.

Technowrite
Jan 18, 2006

I was pleasantly surprised how smooth it went. I remember waiting in agony to get the NT Mini a few years back for about 10-15 minutes and this was all done in 2 minutes. It's nice to see that it seems they've fixed server capacity issues.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Seems like they had a decent number of each color. First sellout was at about 5 minutes, and last sellout at about 14 minutes. Compare to the glow in the dark version, which sold out in 2 minutes.

Technowrite
Jan 18, 2006

Looks like transparent red was the last one available, which surprises me. I honestly thought that one would be the first to sell out.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Gamers love transparent purple stuff.

Jato
Dec 21, 2009

Got in for a purple one. Been wanting a pocket for a while so glad I managed to snag one of these in a cool color. Look forward to playing an old stack of GBA and GBC carts I have lying around.

Technowrite
Jan 18, 2006

I'm just excited to get one. Analogue, for all its faults as a company, seems to know exactly how to make a boutique-quality product that doesn't suck.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Glad you guys got one. It’s really a fantastic thing. I’ve been going through Wario Land 1 this week on mine.

Aardvark Barber
Sep 7, 2007

Delivery in less than two minutes or your money back!

I got a green one. Depending on how it looks in person/in the dock I might sell the black launch unit.

DisposableHero
Feb 25, 2005
bah weep granna weep ninny bong
Went green to match my n64. Otherwise purple would have been my go to choice. Glad it was not so painful to get one. I have an older black one but I think that'll become my brother's Christmas now.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

DisposableHero posted:

I have an older black one but I think that'll become my brother's Christmas now.

Hey, it's me ur brother

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

ok, I was sitting there with a gba screen replacement in the shopping cart when I decided I'd rather have one of these Analogue Pockets. Does this thing go straight into the game when you press the power button or is there an OS first? Because that's what annoys me the most about my current setup, which is a DS with a GBA flash cart in it.

Also, when is this thing available to order, come on!

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

bone emulator posted:

ok, I was sitting there with a gba screen replacement in the shopping cart when I decided I'd rather have one of these Analogue Pockets. Does this thing go straight into the game when you press the power button or is there an OS first? Because that's what annoys me the most about my current setup, which is a DS with a GBA flash cart in it.

Also, when is this thing available to order, come on!

You can set it to boot directly into cart or the os (also openfpga) when powered on.

SeANMcBAY fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Sep 29, 2023

DisposableHero
Feb 25, 2005

Saoshyant posted:

Hey, it's me ur brother

My brother knows better than to post on decaying internet forums.

Technowrite
Jan 18, 2006

DisposableHero posted:

My brother knows better than to post on decaying internet forums.

So he's not Redditor, then?

DisposableHero
Feb 25, 2005

Technowrite posted:

So he's not Redditor, then?

Correct. He considers the internet at large a necessary inconvenience to his life. But it also makes it hard to get things like the Pocket.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
Was in line for a clear and purple in the cart at 11:01 and both said sold by the time I got through the queue.

Fun stuff.

There are literally hundreds of these listed on Ebay. Some of them low enough that they are only making like $15 in profit after fees and shipping. I don't know why they bother.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

katkillad2 posted:

Was in line for a clear and purple in the cart at 11:01 and both said sold by the time I got through the queue.

Fun stuff.

There are literally hundreds of these listed on Ebay. Some of them low enough that they are only making like $15 in profit after fees and shipping. I don't know why they bother.

It used to be like that but now I see them selling for quite a lot more. I’m sure the purple ones will resell for quite a lot.

Edit: Glanced at the subreddit for this thing and yeah, it sucks if you can’t get one of these things but wow, what a lot of annoying middle aged dudes acting like whiny brats.

SeANMcBAY fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Sep 29, 2023

IG-88
Apr 21, 2019

Man, is there really any need for a flashcart? As far as it seems it’s janky as gently caress and I can potentially just add them straight.

Convince me not to return the $80 cart to Amazon.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

IG-88 posted:

Man, is there really any need for a flashcart? As far as it seems it’s janky as gently caress and I can potentially just add them straight.

Are the screen filters worth 80$ to you? If not return it.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

IG-88 posted:

Probably not.

Also bear in mind that GB/GBC games run off of a GBA flashcart have kind of a messed up resolution. Like the aspect ratio is fine, it's just smaller because you're going through the GBA core or whatever.

This is largely irrelevant on an actual GBA, but you give up a decent amount of screen real estate on the Pocket.

mysteryberto
Apr 25, 2006
IIAM

IG-88 posted:

Depends on the flash cart. There is some advantage for flash carts that have real time clocks inside utilized by a few Pokémon games. I don’t have any interest in spending $$$ on a flash cart though.

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
:dukedog:

Ornamented Death posted:

Also bear in mind that GB/GBC games run off of a GBA flashcart have kind of a messed up resolution. Like the aspect ratio is fine, it's just smaller because you're going through the GBA core or whatever.

This is largely irrelevant on an actual GBA, but you give up a decent amount of screen real estate on the Pocket.

This is because GBA flashcarts cannot run GB/C roms natively, but instead use an emulator called Goomba. This also introduces a bunch of glitches and inaccuracy and is generally a terrible idea.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

You can get filters for GB/GBC by converting roms to .pocket files. You only miss out on GBA filters.

Aardvark Barber
Sep 7, 2007

I got an everdrive because I like switching between my Analogue Pocket and my Game Boy Micro.

The real time clock stuff is also nice to have, and screen filters on analogue are the best part of the device IMO.

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life
Is the ez flash omega the recommended gba flash cart? I was going to order one but there was a note on the page that says it does not work with the analogue Pocket so I didn't pull the trigger.

I would 100% only be interested in something with RTC functionality.

Substandard fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Oct 5, 2023

DisposableHero
Feb 25, 2005
I got a shipping notification for my Translucent Green pocket. I'll be honest I did not have high expectations for them shipping within the promised 2 week time frame based on past experience.

Aardvark Barber
Sep 7, 2007

I got my notice yesterday for my green as well.

Technowrite
Jan 18, 2006

I got a shipping notice on Tuesday for my transparent red. It still hasn't left California yet, though. Other folks on Reddit are already getting their's.

Evil Robot
May 20, 2001
Universally hated.
Grimey Drawer
Got my clear model. It's fantastic :)

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Evil Robot posted:

Got my clear model. It's fantastic :)

It really is. Having a blast with Wario Land 2 right now and gonna jump into 3 immediately after. I’ve always loved 2 and having a metroidvania-ish sequel to that sounds so exciting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aardvark Barber
Sep 7, 2007

My green model is getting delivered today, debating doing a button swap with my black unit.