Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

My brother just bought 8bitdo stuff for a NES recreation and the Analogue Super NT. Ran into a headache where the NES receiver won't work with the latest controller firmware, seemingly not having an update itself.

My old SN30+ controller has been solid for everything I've needed it for. NES/SNES Classic receiver (original purpose), PC, Mac, Android phone, Nvidia Shield, SNES Receiver, and now my Pocket Dock. I haven't updated its firmware for years though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I don’t like their SNES controllers. They feel off to me in various tiny ways only a dork like me would notice. I much prefer the Switch SNES pad. If 8bitdo made a kit to make it 2.4 I would buy it.

The Neo Geo pad is cool but I never touched the original one it’s based off of to really compare though.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I like the SN30+, even if the sticks aren't useful on the dock. My only major complaint is it wakes up and pairs to the dock if you plug it in to charge, which is annoying.

The dock is pretty nice and I'm reasonably impressed with the CRT effect for the SNES core, at least. Less impressed for Game Boy Color stuff.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
If Nintendo did PCE/TG16 for NSO, it might undercut both what I spent on TG16 games during the WiiU's eshop closure and my Duo purchase, but it'd be nice to get a Switch PCE/TG16 controller that works well and manages to be cheaper new than the old controllers are used on ebay.

IG-88
Apr 21, 2019

Weird. I got a case that made me have to use a usb c extender to connect to the dock. Everything was working fine. Today I went through, added a bunch of games and now it no longer works.

No changes in any or any of the cables. Tried swapping inputs, cables, power bricks, nothing. Only thing I haven’t tried is take the case off but I can’t find a wrench small enough now and troubleshooting everything else seems super reasonable right now.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

IG-88 posted:

Weird. I got a case that made me have to use a usb c extender to connect to the dock. Everything was working fine. Today I went through, added a bunch of games and now it no longer works.

No changes in any or any of the cables. Tried swapping inputs, cables, power bricks, nothing. Only thing I haven’t tried is take the case off but I can’t find a wrench small enough now and troubleshooting everything else seems super reasonable right now.

What case is it?

IG-88
Apr 21, 2019

SeANMcBAY posted:

What case is it?

Taking the case off fixed it. How weird.

Edit: and yeah, it works even with the usb c extender.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/1571895594/

IG-88 fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Dec 30, 2023

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Weird. I wonder why. That’s a cool looking case.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Weird. So I hit 7 on the Pocket updater to enable all the screen filters. The screen filters work for everything except the original GB and GBP filters. Those just give me the normal sharp pixels. :shrug:

Also, is there a jailbreak for the Analogue Duo? A friend just showed me his but we can’t see to find any info on a jailbreak.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
The GB core needs an update for those. The core has to do something to make them available.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Detective No. 27 posted:

Weird. So I hit 7 on the Pocket updater to enable all the screen filters. The screen filters work for everything except the original GB and GBP filters. Those just give me the normal sharp pixels. :shrug:

Also, is there a jailbreak for the Analogue Duo? A friend just showed me his but we can’t see to find any info on a jailbreak.

No jailbreak for the Duo yet.

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

hosed up that there's no Lynx core on this thing

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

bone emulator posted:

Probably not until a bit after the adapter comes out.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

bone emulator posted:

I always wanted an Atari lynx when I was a kid. The gameboy was still relatively new and I remember seeing an ad for it in a catalog of some kind (radio shack or toys r us?) and I was like “I must play that version of California games!”

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
There are some cool arcade ports on the Lynx, definitely worth checking out when we get the core/adapters. Pretty sure my pre-order for the Pocket adapters is over a year old now.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I'm having a weird issue with the scaling on the SNES core. If I do Normal or SP101 with Integer Scaling it gets all crushed. Fit and Int+ seem fine and everything looks right on-device.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

https://x.com/iam_agg/status/1742349428252635589?s=46&t=zpYUUMLitkL1LQfCkNP_qA
A new GBC core has dropped that has support for filters plus RTC support!

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

SeANMcBAY posted:

Fuckin siiiiiick

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I haven't added a core by hand before, is it just adding the Cores folder if I already have the Spiritualized one?

Edit: Yeah, almost. Need to have a gb_bios.bin file (I grabbed the one from Spiritualized GB) and it doesn't do the SP101, but the Backlit Color LCD looks identical after adding 0x42 to the modes list. I'm colorblind, but it looks the same to me, at least.

Echophonic fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Jan 3, 2024

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life

SeANMcBAY posted:

This is awesome, but it does make my everdrive x7 purchase seem less worthwhile.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

Substandard posted:

This is awesome, but it does make my everdrive x7 purchase seem less worthwhile.

I saw this and I've been poking around looking at buying a copy of Pokemon Crystal for like, $80-100 and not wanting to throw down on it.
Then I read your post and I'm like "wait a second, the x7 has a real time clock?" I bought one like a year or whatever ago and never even took it out of the package.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Can I have it? I'd use it with my GBC instead of keeping it in packaging. AP's openFPGA makes it a lot less tempting to pay a bunch for a fresh ED-GB X7 from Ukraine.

Polly Toodle
Apr 21, 2010

CHARIZARD used SMOKESCREEN
It doesn't affect GEORDI THE BLASTOISE!
Wow, it has fast forward? Awesome, I may actually be able to play Pokemon on this thing.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I want to play Pokemon hacks always but then I think I should probably play the newer official games I haven’t played yet. Then I see how they look and run.:(

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

Jehde posted:

Can I have it? I'd use it with my GBC instead of keeping it in packaging. AP's openFPGA makes it a lot less tempting to pay a bunch for a fresh ED-GB X7 from Ukraine.

I think I’m going to use it to play Pokemon Crystal.

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life

SeANMcBAY posted:

I want to play Pokemon hacks always but then I think I should probably play the newer official games I haven’t played yet. Then I see how they look and run.:(

I think a lot of the rom hacks are genuinely better games than the switch official games. I had a better time with Pokemon Unbound and Pokemon Emerald Rogue than Scarlet/Violet for sure.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Substandard posted:

I think a lot of the rom hacks are genuinely better games than the switch official games. I had a better time with Pokemon Unbound and Pokemon Emerald Rogue than Scarlet/Violet for sure.

I don’t doubt that but I want to see all the new mons.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
It's nice that you can curate your screen filter list. I just ended up write-protecting the video.json, so I can still do updates.

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life
The pocket dock is amazing. I've not seen anything else get close to the switch experience of seamlessly swapping from handheld to docked mode and swapping to controllers, etc.

I should have ordered it when I got the pocket!

Anyway I'm just more and more happy with the pocket overall. It's ridiculously expensive but it actually does seem better than any of the handheld emulator devices I've had.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
My only issue with the dock is how it doesn't really have guides, so I've got some pretty gross scratches near the USB port on the bottom. Definitely should have gotten a clear skin for the bottom before I started messing with it.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Echophonic posted:

My only issue with the dock is how it doesn't really have guides, so I've got some pretty gross scratches near the USB port on the bottom. Definitely should have gotten a clear skin for the bottom before I started messing with it.

Yup. Really hosed up mine good too.

The Automator
Jan 16, 2009
Looking at it, it’s kinda super super dumb they didn’t put some plastic locating nubs on that thing to guide it in

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
"It's kinda super dumb that they..." starts a lot of sentences about Analogue.

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life
Quick question on the 8bitdo M30. It has more buttons than the actual Analogue Pocket, is there any issue with getting all the face buttons to work for the genesis games?

I tried my bluetooth M30 and I felt like I was having issues with the Jump in Shinobi 3 not working correctly and wall jump failing a bunch, and I went back to my neo geo controller instead, but admittedly it is kind of a weird feeling thing in that game to begin with. Just curious if it is just me or anyone else has issues with C button mapping on the M30 for genesis or if it's fine and I just need to try some more games or learn to Shinobi?

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life
I switched over to the 2.4g version of the M30 and it seems to be fine. Maybe it was just me?

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Anyone else getting a virus scanner hit on the newly-renamed Pocket Updater? Defender is pretty unhappy with it, but virustotal doesn't seem to care.

DisposableHero
Feb 25, 2005
bah weep granna weep ninny bong

Echophonic posted:

Anyone else getting a virus scanner hit on the newly-renamed Pocket Updater? Defender is pretty unhappy with it, but virustotal doesn't seem to care.

I have not but defender's AV signature for an exe includes it's name and that can take a bit to update. They always default to thinking it's suspicious.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

DisposableHero posted:

I have not but defender's AV signature for an exe includes it's name and that can take a bit to update. They always default to thinking it's suspicious.

Guess it's fixed now, since now it's not throwing it. Yeah, just a false positive.

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

Wait, how do I get .jar files for PCE CD games?
I don't recall doing that before

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

bone emulator posted:

Wait, how do I get .jar files for PCE CD games?
I don't recall doing that before

One of the Pocket updater programs will generate them for you if everything otherwise is placed correctly on the sd card. I believe it’s the Pocket Sync one.