Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SeductiveReasoning
Nov 2, 2005

382 BC - 301 BC

SeANMcBAY posted:

One of the Pocket updater programs will generate them for you if everything otherwise is placed correctly on the sd card. I believe it’s the Pocket Sync one.

panella updater does this for sure. And downloads all arcade roms. High recommended. https://github.com/mattpannella/pupdate/releases/tag/3.1.0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Man, I love this thing. There’s just something about playing Mario’s Picross with the GB Light filter before bed.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

SeANMcBAY posted:

Man, I love this thing. There’s just something about playing Mario’s Picross with the GB Light filter before bed.

I just finished playing that! It was my bedtime wind-down game too lol

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Don't forget Picross 2! There's probably a language patch for it, but it's playable still in Japanese.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

The black and red pinball filter is also really nice for playing in the dark.

Framboise posted:

I just finished playing that! It was my bedtime wind-down game too lol

:hfive:

teethgrinder posted:

Don't forget Picross 2! There's probably a language patch for it, but it's playable still in Japanese.

I’ve been playing that along with the leaked Pokemon Picross that also has a translation patch. I really love the overworld in Picross 2 as explorer Mario but the music is a massive downgrade over the first one.

Mario’s Super Picross is also good but that one is way too small playing on the Pocket’s screen due to how the game’s UI is set up. I only play that one docked.

kittenchops
Jul 24, 2013

I just got one of these, it's very cool. I tried to play Pokemon yellow on it but my save was gone and any save I make disappears on the next load. I guess I could use save state, but I read you can't save the contents of your Pokemon boxes other than the current box?

Advance games look amazing on it and the filters are great!

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

kittenchops posted:

I just got one of these, it's very cool. I tried to play Pokemon yellow on it but my save was gone and any save I make disappears on the next load. I guess I could use save state, but I read you can't save the contents of your Pokemon boxes other than the current box?

Advance games look amazing on it and the filters are great!

99% your battery is dead in the cartridge. If you can solder it's really pretty easy to replace.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Picked up a black one of these with birthday money, had to wait until about a month ago for it to actually ship and I am mighty pleased. I got it to replace my old eBay GB Boy Colour after it went on the fritz; I want a back-lit color screen at my disposal and after that poor little Chinese console died I figured it was finally time to invest in quality.

I only got this for the cartridge support so after I got an SD card for firmware updates and storage I was beyond beyond pleased. Through some YouTubeing I found a handy all- in-one installer app for cores and such and having my lost 16-bit childhood at my fingertips just makes me giddy.

I just want to know how to use the other cores. Arcade cores seem great but I don't know where to start or what to look for; it sounds like people in this thread are having a lot of fun with them. I did install a Pokémon core, but how the hell does that thing work? I also grabbed a Tomagotchi core for nostalgia but all I got was a pulsing egg; no Tomagotchi.

Help me make the most of this thing!

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Grab one of the pc apps and it’ll set it all up for you. I personally like Pocket Sync most but can’t go wrong with Pocket Updater and pupdate as well.

SeANMcBAY fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Apr 2, 2024

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Propaganda Machine posted:

I just want to know how to use the other cores. Arcade cores seem great but I don't know where to start or what to look for; it sounds like people in this thread are having a lot of fun with them.
I'd say start with the Capcom CPS1, 1.5, and 2 cores. Lots of good stuff there. pupdate should grab the cores and roms for you.

quote:

I also grabbed a Tomagotchi core for nostalgia but all I got was a pulsing egg; no Tomagotchi.

Gotta wait 5 minutes for the egg to hatch. The Tamagotchi core is more of a novelty since the clock only runs while the core is active.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

https://x.com/analogue/status/1775176709282668945?s=46&t=zpYUUMLitkL1LQfCkNP_qA
More of these are going to be in stock very soon.

Join us. I love and play this thing more than PS5.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

SeANMcBAY posted:

https://x.com/analogue/status/1775176709282668945?s=46&t=zpYUUMLitkL1LQfCkNP_qA
More of these are going to be in stock very soon.

Join us. I love and play this thing more than PS5.

Well yeah, there’s games on the analogue pocket.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

otter posted:

Well yeah, there’s games on the analogue pocket.

I find myself adding new things every day with all the excellent rom hacks that keep coming out.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

SeANMcBAY posted:

I find myself adding new things every day with all the excellent rom hacks that keep coming out.

I almost took my Pocket to the beach coast this last weekend, but I figured (correctly) I’d be driving both ways. I’m another year older and I still haven’t finished Mother 3. I also still haven’t opened my second analogue pocket (clear red). I’m slacking.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I plan on playing all 3 Mothers again during the summer. It’ll be my first time playing 1 and 2 patched. Playing 1 with the 25th Anniversary faithful patch and 2 with the MaternalBound Redux patch.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

I need to play 1, but I figured I’d do that on the switch like I did with 2.
I started playing 3 in the summer last year and I want to be sure to have completed it before a full year.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

otter posted:

I need to play 1, but I figured I’d do that on the switch like I did with 2.
I started playing 3 in the summer last year and I want to be sure to have completed it before a full year.

Take your time with it. It’s truly fantastic.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

When I got mine the gameboy game club thread was in full swing, so that was a perfect way to play a bunch of random gameboy games that I would have had no idea to explore on my own. Now that the thread has died down, I'm slowly chipping my way through Super Metroid as a long overdue playthrough. But I do have a few gameboy (and game gear) games I want to go back to on my own accord after that. The pocket just makes it so easy and convenient to pick up and play any 2D game, so many of which I've procrastinated because I didn't want to deal with sitting down at my PC to emulate them. It's great for playing them while I got sports on the TV, or anything else going on in the background.

mysteryberto
Apr 25, 2006
IIAM
I’ve been playing a lot of NES on it lately. Tetris gym and Super Mario Bros. With the sleep states it’s the perfect console to play on 15 minute breaks from work.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

mysteryberto posted:

I’ve been playing a lot of NES on it lately. Tetris gym and Super Mario Bros. With the sleep states it’s the perfect console to play on 15 minute breaks from work.

Have cores been added that take advantage of the sleep mode proper, or still just save states?

Because that feature has kept me going through a couple of GBA carts, and I absolutely love it.

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

The lack of save states is hampering my enjoyment of the snes core in particular, I'd really like to have some rpgs on standby for some grinding whenever, but alas, I can't

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

harperdc posted:

Have cores been added that take advantage of the sleep mode proper, or still just save states?

Because that feature has kept me going through a couple of GBA carts, and I absolutely love it.
As far as I understand, they're one and the same. I don't remember if other cores have it, but the Agg23 NES core does (for "most" mappers).

Also It works if you convert GB/GBC games to Pocket format. Been using it for Mario Tennis currently.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

They are one and the same. All cores that can do save states also support sleep mode.

Unfortunately I really doubt the SNES core will ever get them.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Make your own then (tm)

mysteryberto
Apr 25, 2006
IIAM

harperdc posted:

Only cores with save states. It’s the biggest downside to FPGA in my opinion, mister is the same. I have no FPGA coding skills but would donate or subscribe to a patreon for development of a SNES FPGA core with save states.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

Jehde posted:

When I got mine the gameboy game club thread was in full swing, so that was a perfect way to play a bunch of random gameboy games that I would have had no idea to explore on my own.

Me too I'm actually still grinding away at Dragon Warrior Monsters Caravan Heart like a pig in poo poo. I miss that thread. I just have zero knowledge of the kind of semi obscure games that would get featured.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
Got my order in for the adapter set. I actually was sure that I had preordered them the first time around, but nope! Missed em somehow; weird, since NGP support was one of my most anticipated systems.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

Fallen Rib
There's only 9 games for the NGP?!

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
Hah! Fair. The C was silent

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

Manky posted:

Got my order in for the adapter set. I actually was sure that I had preordered them the first time around, but nope! Missed em somehow; weird, since NGP support was one of my most anticipated systems.

I'm still kind of pissed at myself for selling my NGPColor back in the early 2000s (for like $75) with the games. I didn't play it a ton at the time, and my roommate had stiffed me on rent and moved out mid-month, leaving me with a $1500 phone bill due to collect calls from her boyfriend in prison. I also had to sell my hi-8 camera for like $100.

gently caress YOU, Marlena.

Anyway. I was like, "Oh, I was going to buy the adapters so my set is complete" and then looked at it for $100 (plus shipping) and realized I have no Lynx or NGP carts. Now I will reallocate that money to buy an expensive amiibo.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Spiritualized NGP :pray:

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

acksplode posted:

Spiritualized NGP :pray:

Also Lynx and their TG16 core please.

I wonder if Analogue is done with adapters now or if they’ll do Wonderswan.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

SeANMcBAY posted:

Also Lynx and their TG16 core please.

I wonder if Analogue is done with adapters now or if they’ll do Wonderswan.

I think they're done. Wonderswan didn't come to the US and the adaptors are for devices that did.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

Fallen Rib
I traded my NGPC to a goon a few years ago but that was a great system and I encourage curious folk to check out some games. The fighters might be rough though because the NGPC joystick was loving, mmmph, chefkiss. And the Pocket dpad is very much not that.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

Marx Headroom posted:

I traded my NGPC to a goon a few years ago but that was a great system and I encourage curious folk to check out some games. The fighters might be rough though because the NGPC joystick was loving, mmmph, chefkiss. And the Pocket dpad is very much not that.

but the 8bitdo Neo geo controller which works on the Pocket and the switch almost is, and its $17 on woot.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

otter posted:

but the 8bitdo Neo geo controller which works on the Pocket and the switch almost is, and its $17 on woot.

Recommend this if you have the dock. It’s a great controller.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

also as a Neo Geo owner :smug:, I have an original wired pad that works with the AES, NGCD, MVS etc the 8bitdo is nearly exact.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

otter posted:

also as a Neo Geo owner :smug:, I have an original wired pad that works with the AES, NGCD, MVS etc the 8bitdo is nearly exact.

That’s good to hear since I’ve actually never used the original controller. I did use the original NGP though and that stick owned. Lots of fun playing SNK Vs. Capcom with my cousin. It was insane to have a fighting game of that quality on a handheld back then.

SeANMcBAY fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Apr 5, 2024

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

re: cores that support savestates/sleep, I ran pupdate.exe for the first time in a while and the message at the end has been updated too:

code:
Fun fact! The ONLY cores that support save states and sleep are the following:
    agg23.NES, agg23.NES_Analogizer, Spacemen3.PDP1, Spiritualized.GB,
    Spiritualized.GBA, Spiritualized.GBC
I have no idea what these "Analogizer" cores are, saw a few update. About to find out!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

The Analogizer is this physical device that plugs into the Pocket that allows you to feed analog video to a CRT. DAC support is taking so long that some took it into their own hands. No need to mess with those cores without that.