Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

Dijkstracula posted:

actually I changed my mind, it’s this one because I get to post with all of you :shobon:

aw :shobon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
remember dead pixels? and how you couldn't return your lovely 4:3 lcd monitor with a 10hz refresh rate unless it had like 5 of them and they were all roughly in the same spot and it wasn't close to the edges? that owned, because it meant that crt was still the dominant tech and those had a degauss button

well-read undead
Dec 13, 2022

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

remember dead pixels? and how you couldn't return your lovely 4:3 lcd monitor with a 10hz refresh rate unless it had like 5 of them and they were all roughly in the same spot and it wasn't close to the edges? that owned, because it meant that crt was still the dominant tech and those had a degauss button

i was just thinking about this the other day while looking at the modern marvel of my 4k oled tv

i remember being full of anxiety waiting for a new monitor to arrive, hoping that i didn’t pull the short straw, because at that time (wanna say mid- to late-00s) retailers and manufacturers all had absurd carve outs in their return policies and warranties for dead pixels

degauss was fun and all but i don’t miss having a massive 250lb box

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
bah, how often do you need to move your monitor, i say as my desk cracks and splits in two and my gigantic sony trinitron turns my legs into gibs that perfectly match the models used in the original half-life

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

I always complained loudly about this and got a refund anyways

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.
Back when applications ran on your own computer and stored stuff locally and didn't need to make 70 calls to a remote server to display a hello message. :corsair:

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

Presto posted:

Back when applications ran on your own computer and stored stuff locally and didn't need to make 70 calls to a remote server to display a hello message. :corsair:

my man

matti
Mar 31, 2019

apple m1 macbook air era OP

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Jonny 290 posted:

fun era: when we were all rolling the dice on ECS K7S5A motherboards which were allowed to be sold despite having a ~20-30% DOA rate. Newegg's returns department must have had a gun in their mouth

Paired with the t-bird chips that you could crack the core on (i did this once) cause no heatspreader

cheap as HELL tho! could build a basic gaming machine for like $350

lol one of those ecs pieces of junk was my first motherboard

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

bah, how often do you need to move your monitor, i say as my desk cracks and splits in two and my gigantic sony trinitron turns my legs into gibs that perfectly match the models used in the original half-life

lol i had a big trinitron in college and asked my roommate to help me move it and he said why? its just a monitor and then he tried to pick it up by himself

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

when comet cursor was considered to be some of the worst software of all time because it tracked users with a unique serial number and collected privacy information. to this day it is considered one of the earliest examples of spyware (and also installed itself via realplayer and activex poo poo)

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

You can't spell 'vector field' without me, Professor!

MononcQc posted:

when comet cursor was considered to be some of the worst software of all time because it tracked users with a unique serial number and collected privacy information. to this day it is considered one of the earliest examples of spyware (and also installed itself via realplayer and activex poo poo)

this reminds me of how incredibly mad the internet got at the very idea of cookies and now look at the world

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
lol yeah. DELETE ALL COOKIES! DO NOT ACCEPT THEM! THAT'S HOW THEY TRACK YOU

10 years later: "ok i entered my cc number and a list of what scares me into this website to get 5% off candles, now what"

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
i will admit to being one of those people who was very unhappy when games started tracking what you're doing in-game and sending that data back to developers. in hindsight, this might not have been the most important issue to be mad about at the time

also, having been on the other side of that and looking at reports generated from tracking data has allowed me to gain a newfound appreciation for how incredibly stupid the average video game player is. how the gently caress are you morons not able to clear the goddamn tutorial? no it's not game design's fault; 80% of people do just fine and spend less than 10 seconds there so i can only assume that the remaining 20% have the brainpower of a bag of doorknobs. well whatever they already paid for the game; i don't care as long as they don't ask for a refund

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

i will admit to being one of those people who was very unhappy when games started tracking what you're doing in-game and sending that data back to developers. in hindsight, this might not have been the most important issue to be mad about at the time

also, having been on the other side of that and looking at reports generated from tracking data has allowed me to gain a newfound appreciation for how incredibly stupid the average video game player is. how the gently caress are you morons not able to clear the goddamn tutorial? no it's not game design's fault; 80% of people do just fine and spend less than 10 seconds there so i can only assume that the remaining 20% have the brainpower of a bag of doorknobs. well whatever they already paid for the game; i don't care as long as they don't ask for a refund

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=848Y1Uu5Htk

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

imo the game should just pop up a modal offering the refund to get it over with

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d3pQ0oO_cDE

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

the brainpower of a bag of doorknobs.

lol

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

how many of these reports would you say come from people who may not know how to read, speak a different language, or are just kids?

I recall playing games as a kid where I couldn't get past the tutorial because they were in English and I couldn't understand it, so if anything required written instructions, I couldn't get it and had to figure it out from other cues or trial and error.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
the ones i'm thinking of were for games localized in many languages, including full voice acting for major ones. they weren't games that really required you to understand that much either so i really doubt it'd account for that by itself. as for kids, that's no excuse; if anything these days i'd expect the average 8 years old to be better at games than the average adult. full disclosure though, i never did any work that required me to look at that kind of data, that was just something i was shown a couple times so there's likely some self-selection bias at work here

i also had the "don't speak english" thing as a kid, but a steady stream of doom, command and conquer, and warcraft 2 and so on ended up being a pretty good way to learn the language

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
what’s the era where computers caught fire a lot and came preloaded with illegal software

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
the good era of computers lasted until april 12 2004 op

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
:negative:

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

I don't bother looking at the analytics on our game but if I saw "20% of players dont finish the tutorial" I'd be more inclined to assume that they just weren't inspired to continue playing the game. It's in the tutorial that you may realize for instance that you're not actually up to embark upon a grind to collect materials again.

Also sometimes games can be sort of ok then you log off for whatever reason and you just don't feel like playing that game again because it just didn't hook you.

That's what happened to me with elden ring, I did the tutorial and got to the open world then I went to sleep and never had any desire to play it again.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

goblin week posted:

the good era of computers lasted until april 12 2004 op

and then yeah by lil jon and usher came out, effectively ending good computers as we know them.

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

this era op

spice up your life

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

or maybe this one

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

what happened on the date?

*slaps table* she had a gamecube jerry

a gamecube?

A GAMECUBE what would my parents say? we’re an xbox family jerry

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

git apologist posted:

this era op

spice up your life

english people are so weird looking

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

git apologist posted:

or maybe this one

1999 baby

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

https://twitter.com/Slasher/status/1177711990111899649?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe
the era when computers had a TURBO button

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

MononcQc posted:

how many of these reports would you say come from people who may not know how to read, speak a different language, or are just kids?

I recall playing games as a kid where I couldn't get past the tutorial because they were in English and I couldn't understand it, so if anything required written instructions, I couldn't get it and had to figure it out from other cues or trial and error.

There was a period I was extremely busy and barely ever had time to play video games. It really sucked to make sure everything was already updated like 24 hours ahead of time and finally sit down to play my game and discover that watching the intro, making my dude, and completing the tutorial will probably take one and a half such sessions and the 2nd half will probably be me dying over and over as I get used to playing video games and basically I can look forward to actually enjoying the game in as little as a month.

Like I get that modern AAA games were basically not for my lifestyle at that moment but it still really blew and most games ended when I hit parts designed to drag the thing on for the benefit kids who spent like a month saving up $60.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

Poopernickel posted:

the era when computers had a TURBO button

and how even then during the era of turbo buttons / AT's, people still misunderstood what they were for and complained that when they turned on Turbo it made their computer slow.

(it was a backwards compatibility feature to downclock a 6/8mhz AT to XT 3.7mhz speed (or whatever the numbers were) so time-sensitive programs that relied on clock count in a loop would run right. like pac man where the ghosts just kill you immediately because it's running faster than you could play)

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

it also barely did anything at all on 286+ computers - maybe add a few wait states to memory access to slow the computer down ~10%

yet the pins were still on the motherboard until the pentium era

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
not only turbo buttons but the little two digit LED display that you would hard program to show the right numbers via jumper blocks for turbo and non

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life
The best home computer hardware era was 1976-1986. All sorts of wild poo poo came out and then it got lame.
The best BBS era was like 1985-1995
The best internet era was 1990-2008
The best social media era was like 2009-2013
The best mobile era was 2009-2015
The coolest unix era was from the start of the 3M concept until like 2002.
The hacking scene itself had like 4 distinct golden eras and now everyone is a suit blowing CISSP dicking around with metasploit. But we pretend it’s all good because people still say pwned, have BO, and have funky haircuts.

I suspect right now we’re in the best AIML era when it’s still kinda fun and there aren’t any laws about crippling LLMs against making a picture of Easy-E pozzing Musk’s neghole in an emerald mine and people still mostly have jobs.

poo poo is always cool until they settle on how to use it and how to make money on it :(

Internet Old One fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Sep 6, 2023

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

our old 486 had a turbo light, but no button to toggle it. there were pins on the board for a turbo button, but they weren't hooked to anything

that was the same era where you would find those 7 segment displays that showed the clock speed of the system in mhz, but, iirc, they were basically fake and just showed some hardcoded values

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

Internet Old One posted:

The best home computer hardware era was 1976-1986. All sorts of wild poo poo came out and then it got lame.
The best BBS era was like 1985-1995
The best internet era was 1990-2008
The best social media era was like 2009-2013
The best mobile era was 2009-2015
The coolest unix era was from the start of the 3M concept until like 2002.
The hacking scene itself had like 4 distinct golden eras and now everyone is a suit blowing CISSP dicking around with metasploit. But we pretend it’s all good because people still say pwned, have BO, and have funky haircuts.

I suspect right now we’re in the best AIML era when it’s still kinda fun and there aren’t any laws about crippling LLMs against making a picture of Easy-E pozzing Musk’s neghole in an emerald mine and people still mostly have jobs.

poo poo is always cool until they settle on how to use it and how to make money on it :(

thanks Internet Old One

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

Internet Old One posted:

yeah i think this is basically right