Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Sagebrush posted:

english people are so weird looking

please, turn on your monitor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

the one that ended april 11, 2004

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
:negative:

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

Internet Old One posted:

The best social media era was like 2009-2013

the best social media era was the era before social media existed

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

for consoles, early cd era & early console internet era for sure, so basically the entirety of the 90s

I always found it cool that there was so much more non-game content released for consoles at this time, tho the majority of it never left japan. anything from like, games being bundled with omake disks, radio dramas and art CDs, aquarium style visualizers, to like, these fully packed intranet experiences which were loaded with interesting data and multimedia that can really help capture what certain eras and scenes were like

the cd era had the most magic for me before everything was ironed out tech wise & there was still a bunch of experimentation going on. studios were willing to release rly weird stuff & this sort of ended at the ps2 era, after which that space was more filled with the indie dev scene as targeting consoles became less prohibitive

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
the immediate jump from "you got a couple MBs of storage" to "you get 700MBs (but i hope you like having to deal with seek times)" was huge, yeah. i'm trying to think of other instances of performance jumps on the same order of magnitude and there aren't many. the switch from 56K to broadband would probably be comparable. usb replacing parallel/serial ports could be one too, though frankly they should've made the usb connectors have screws like parallel/serial. no cables accidentally getting unplugged that way, and it feels cooler imo

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Sweevo posted:

the best social media era was the era before social media existed

nah tbf when facebook first went public, and all it was was posting on other peoples walls, and the excitement of adding people and finding out your mutual friends.: that was pretty decent

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

usb replacing parallel/serial ports could be one too, though frankly they should've made the usb connectors have screws like parallel/serial. no cables accidentally getting unplugged that way, and it feels cooler imo

this is why you should never ask nerds about design decisions

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

though frankly they should've made the usb connectors have screws like parallel/serial

aaaaaaaaa :blastu:

well-read undead
Dec 13, 2022

i strongly suspect someone with that opinion never spent much time connecting serial and parallel devices

my fingertips feel raw just thinking about it

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
conversely, actually ever cable should be magsafe

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
wanna move your pc? a swift karate chop down the back of your case and boom it’s ready to get moved

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
wanna plug things in? just hold the cable close and coz each different plug has a different arrangement of magnets the right cord just goes
in the right place

well-read undead
Dec 13, 2022

now i want to see someone make a magsafe connector with screws just so i can be horrified by it

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
bring back the scsi cable spring clips

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

Jonny 290 posted:

bring back the scsi cable spring clips

these were the best retaining devices imo. easy on, easy off, cheap to make, easy to trim off if you didnt want em, just better.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

though frankly they should've made the usb connectors have screws like parallel/serial. no cables accidentally getting unplugged that way, and it feels cooler imo

every person who has ever screwed in connectors thinks those screws are vital to holding the two halves of the universe together and tightens them accordingly

gently caress them forever

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
lol

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
if someone trips over this cable, it is vital is causes catastrophic damage

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

echinopsis posted:

conversely, actually ever cable should be magsafe

I haven’t tried it but they do got adapters to do that now for usb c

https://www.amazon.com/Magnetic-DuHeSin-Straight-Transfer-Thunderbolt/dp/B0BMX53FF9/

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
high enough voltage that we’ve got arcing? count me in

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

CC LIMERICK CONTEST GRAND CHAMPION
There once was a poster named Troof
Who was getting quite long in the toof
the babbage era

he was brilliant enough to design the analytical engine and wise enough to not actually build it

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

computers built from relays would have been so much cooler

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kaQETdfi5jU

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

my god. it's full of posts
a selection of images from the best computer era, which took place between 2001-2005 in poland

it was all downhill from there let's be real. everybody my age might have extreme scoliosis from those goddamn computer desks that everybody seemed to have but at least we used to be happy, once

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

well-read undead posted:

i strongly suspect someone with that opinion never spent much time connecting serial and parallel devices

my fingertips feel raw just thinking about it

it build character and the calluses eventually make your fingertips immune to masonry drill bits

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

my god. it's full of posts

sometimes i yearn for download sites

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

that just made me remember ninite

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

armpit_enjoyer posted:

sometimes i yearn for download sites

remember what they took from you ...........

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i miss icq.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

polyester concept posted:

that just made me remember ninite

hell yes ninite

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
the best era was firing up TeleMate to dial into local Citadel boards and play TW2002 and Land of Devastation.

we had a bbs that was a big loose-rule rpg and it loving ruled. i remember going to a swim meet and running into someone I knew from that board and it was so awkward