Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

well-read undead
Dec 13, 2022

Samuel L. ACKSYN posted:

those 3 months in the mid 90s when "cd-rom" was it's own genre of software

multimedia pc

full motion video

what a heady time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

well-read undead
Dec 13, 2022

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

remember dead pixels? and how you couldn't return your lovely 4:3 lcd monitor with a 10hz refresh rate unless it had like 5 of them and they were all roughly in the same spot and it wasn't close to the edges? that owned, because it meant that crt was still the dominant tech and those had a degauss button

i was just thinking about this the other day while looking at the modern marvel of my 4k oled tv

i remember being full of anxiety waiting for a new monitor to arrive, hoping that i didn’t pull the short straw, because at that time (wanna say mid- to late-00s) retailers and manufacturers all had absurd carve outs in their return policies and warranties for dead pixels

degauss was fun and all but i don’t miss having a massive 250lb box

well-read undead
Dec 13, 2022

i strongly suspect someone with that opinion never spent much time connecting serial and parallel devices

my fingertips feel raw just thinking about it

well-read undead
Dec 13, 2022

now i want to see someone make a magsafe connector with screws just so i can be horrified by it