Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man
me and a friend saw Kids in the theater. we were 15, so of course we laughed at a bunch of poo poo and goddamn did everyone- we were the youngest there by at least twenty years- glare at us while we were waiting to get picked up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halisnacks
Jul 18, 2009
We had cops come to our school and show us different street drugs. I remember them showing marijuana, cocaine, heroin, PCP and maybe mushrooms and MDMA. The message was “all of these will ruin your life”; there was no nuance about the different effects, harms, or abuse potential. Lots of classmates started discovering weed shortly after that, and I wonder if anyone internalised “hey if weed isn’t so bad, maybe those cops were exaggerating about the others”.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Halisnacks posted:

We had cops come to our school and show us different street drugs. I remember them showing marijuana, cocaine, heroin, PCP and maybe mushrooms and MDMA. The message was “all of these will ruin your life”; there was no nuance about the different effects, harms, or abuse potential. Lots of classmates started discovering weed shortly after that, and I wonder if anyone internalised “hey if weed isn’t so bad, maybe those cops were exaggerating about the others”.

i think it works both ways because i had a health teacher in 7th grade who described, in detail, the effects of different drugs, clearly based on personal experience, and for most of them it just really made me want to try them.

especially acid, like everything i heard about acid from various "warnings" in the 80s and 90s drove me directly into experimenting with psychedelics as soon as i could get my hands on them

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Kids is one of those movies you watch once in your life and never have a desire to revisit again.

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo
Goodness no, but I did see the Romeo and Juliet with the boobs in class

RapturesoftheDeep
Jan 6, 2013

Grey Cat posted:

Wait, guys don't have pubes growing out the top of their penis?

According to Wikipedia Harmony Korine does, but most of us don't, no.

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

maybealabia posted:

Goodness no, but I did see the Romeo and Juliet with the boobs in class

it's a rite of passage, frankly

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
I got a detention for making jokes during the beach landing in Saving Private Ryan.

I also slept through most of 13 Days, but the teacher forgave that because he also thought it was boring as gently caress.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

i didn’t see it in school but i did watch it with high school friends around that age. the main thing i remember is one of the titular kids (Telly or something like that?) bragging about his fingers smelling like butterscotch after he had sex. that memory still gets triggered occasionally and i’ll always wonder if somewhere out there some ladies really do have butterscotch canals.

i also remember playing earthbound around that time and i was a budding comedic talent so i entered “pussy” when the game asked you for your favorite thing. then when the game would tell me i caught a whiff of pussy later, i would think to myself “Mmmm butterscotch” and have a good chuckle.

Bad Purchase fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Sep 2, 2023

vaginite
Feb 8, 2006

I'm comin' for you, colonel.

I work with some guys that went to a Christian private school and said they had to watch this every Halloween (if you really want to watch this skip the terrible CGI 5 minute intro):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2Zjm9VW6Sg

highlight:

Whole thing is hilarious but would be terrifying to someone who is 10 and doesn't understand that all of these people are completely full of poo poo. Jeremiah Films, the guys who make it, still exist and I signed up to their website and it's just anti-sex ed videos and stuff, unfortunately in the "so bad it's good" category they were a one hit wonder :(

neato burrito
Aug 25, 2002

bitch better have my chex mix

Nooner posted:

Kids was playing but Ken Park is better

I was 24 when I watched that and was not ready for it :dogstare:

I really liked Gummo though, weird as gently caress. Also it had Dragonaut on the soundtrack.

edit: RIP Harold Hunter (the skinny black skateboarder kid)

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

The satanic panic would be funnier if people didn't literally get locked up and lose years of their lives to that bullshit.

I remember people in school talking about Kids, and the weird serial-liar kids would just keep making up increasingly outlandish stuff that happened in it, because none of them wanted to admit that they never actually saw it.

When I finally saw it years later, it was just a movie about a little sociopath being a little sociopath. Basically someone took all those moral panic news stories about teenagers and rolled them up into a film.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
We watched Veggie Tales whenever the teachers were bored. Despite being overtly religious, I don't remember it being terribly preachy.

neato burrito
Aug 25, 2002

bitch better have my chex mix

Growing up in south Texas (most everyone was poor and brown), they made us watch Stand And Deliver so, so much.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

We did watch a lot of scare-tactic stuff about AIDS though. Basically AIDS was everywhere, and if you didn't already have AIDS, you were going to get AIDS, and then you were going to loving die.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

The_Franz posted:

We did watch a lot of scare-tactic stuff about AIDS though. Basically AIDS was everywhere, and if you didn't already have AIDS, you were going to get AIDS, and then you were going to loving die.

someone had already put used syringes containing the aids virus into every phone booth coin return slot in town, it was inevitable

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

The standout moment of sex ed for me was one time when everyone was asked to write any questions they wanted to ask anonymously on index cards and hand them to the teacher, then the teacher went through to read them and one of the cards said "Can you get pregnant from standing in the river next to fish?" and the teacher was so incomprehensibly baffled by it that they couldn't even wheeze out a "No" for like two whole minutes

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Uh, that question was confidential dude

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
We spent half a year of music lessons watching musicals to learn about narrative music and theatrical composition (definitely not just because the music teacher loved them). I remember getting a detention for submitting an essay finding nothing of artistic merit in "seven brides for seven brothers".

I got quite a few detentions in film-watching lessons. Never enjoyed straining to make out a bad VHS quality image on a 21" CRT from three rows back.

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

deep dish peat moss posted:

The standout moment of sex ed for me was one time when everyone was asked to write any questions they wanted to ask anonymously on index cards and hand them to the teacher, then the teacher went through to read them and one of the cards said "Can you get pregnant from standing in the river next to fish?" and the teacher was so incomprehensibly baffled by it that they couldn't even wheeze out a "No" for like two whole minutes

Wtf could they even mean by this? I'm racking my brain.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I got to watch the Challenger explode in school, totally rad. Rest of the day off.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

The world should never know. But my assumption was that they saw pics of sperm and thought they were just little fish and maybe big river fish could swim up there and get a girl pregnant too?

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

redshirt posted:

I got to watch the Challenger explode in school, totally rad. Rest of the day off.

Hell yeah that was 9/11 for me except instead of giving us the day off they shuffled us all into the auditorium and made us write an essay about why firefighters are heroes.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

The world should never know. But my assumption was that they saw pics of sperm and thought they were just little fish and maybe big river fish could swim up there and get a girl pregnant too?

Or they learned about how fish eggs are fertilized and thought that milt did the same for humans?

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Hell yeah that was 9/11 for me except instead of giving us the day off they shuffled us all into the auditorium and made us write an essay about why firefighters are heroes.

I could write that essay. How did yours come out?

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

If I remember right they didn't even get reviewed by anyone at the school and were sent to some program that was forwarding them to first responders at ground zero, or something like that. I was always good at writing A+ essays an hour before class the morning they were due so I'm sure mine was fine

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

If I remember right they didn't even get reviewed by anyone at the school and were sent to some program that was forwarding them to first responders at ground zero, or something like that. I was always good at writing A+ essays an hour before class the morning they were due so I'm sure mine was fine

Nice. Thank you for your service.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer

The true hero of 9/11

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

of course you can. happened to me several times.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

The one grizzly bear cub in the class looking around nervously.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

We watched a VCR tape of a live birth in Sex Ed class and like an after school movie the big tough guy in class went white as a sheet and collapsed. Hilarious.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

My school was split between those of us who were excited we might get a day off (we did not) and those who wanted to join the Marine Corps right then and there.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

neato burrito posted:

Growing up in south Texas (most everyone was poor and brown), they made us watch Stand And Deliver so, so much.

:same: but alaska

also still mostly poor and brown though

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Basketball coach made us watch Hoosiers, but that movie was pretty awesome

I Miss Snausages
Mar 8, 2005
Volvorific!
We got a substitute in AP Lit to let us watch the new at the time Lolita remake for a few minutes, until she realized it was a bad idea.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

That's a hosed up movie to shown in school

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

redshirt posted:

Same. I’ll never forget my teacher’s face not knowing whether to recoil in horror or make a “whoops!” face.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I didn't see it as a kid, instead my ex insisted I watch it with her because it was one of her favourite movies. She proceeded to get drunker as we watched it and emotionally talked about how realistic.and relatable it was. It was a movie about people I specifically avoided when I was younger.

I, uh, did not like it.

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

syntaxfunction posted:

I didn't see it as a kid, instead my ex insisted I watch it with her because it was one of her favourite movies. She proceeded to get drunker as we watched it and emotionally talked about how realistic.and relatable it was. It was a movie about people I specifically avoided when I was younger.

I, uh, did not like it.

What the gently caress lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RapturesoftheDeep
Jan 6, 2013
Another great classroom watch was my Spanish teacher's home videos of his vacations to the Dominican Republic. One of them was like an hourlong recap of his visit to the local cockfighting arena.