Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

We watched Shrek at least 4 different times in my 9th grade English class and it was because there was this kid named Aiden who was so into Shrek that every time we had a substitute he would start off class by saying "Mrs. Jones told us we were going to watch Shrek today, I brought it from home" (he always had a copy of the Shrek DVD in his backpack)

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Sep 3, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Wow.

lipid
Feb 21, 2001
We watched Space Camp. But our teacher fast forwarded through the scene where Jinx gives Max AIDS.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
For some reason the movie of choice at schools I went to was that Adam Sandler movie Big Daddy. All the time. I loving hate that movie.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

redshirt posted:

I got to watch the Challenger explode in school, totally rad. Rest of the day off.

:smith::hf::smith:

It may have just been coincidental timing, but within the same week we did one of those things where you write your name and address on a card and attach it to a helium balloon and let it go, and see who gets a response from the furthest place.

Also somehow I must've watched Pure Country at least twenty times in 8th grade :dafuq:

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

The Challenger exploded because its HP dropped to zero.

vaginite
Feb 8, 2006

I'm comin' for you, colonel.

When I was like 6 me and another boy were dancing around together holding hands, and a teacher told us that's how you get AIDS.

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

I watched the twin towers burn down in the lobby of my college class I was waiting on that was cancelled :911:

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

I watched the Mask of Zorro numerous times in Spanish class, including several times without the teacher even bothering to put them n the Spanish dub

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

deep dish peat moss posted:

We watched Shrek at least 4 different times in my 9th grade English class and it was because there was this kid named Aiden who was so into Shrek that every time we had a substitute he would start off class by saying "Mrs. Jones told us we were going to watch Shrek today, I brought it from home" (he always had a copy of the Shrek DVD in his backpack)

Lol what’s Aiden’s username

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

Lol what’s Aiden’s username

Yeah BAGS FLY AT NOON I WONDER whom amongst us

Dumb Sex-Parrot
Dec 25, 2020

Valko posted:

One of my classmates had an older sister who went on a weekend long field trip with their biology teacher. They all decided to go to the cinema one night. The biology teacher was a devout christian, possibly one of those born again types. The film they went to see was Trainspotting. The biology teacher was traumatised and wouldn't shut up about it the rest of the weekend.

How well did Biology Teacher teach evolution in class?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

lmfao

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

I give your invention the worst grade imaginable: An A-minus-minus!

Total Clam
I was in my 4th year of teaching when this came out. So, no.

And, no, I did not show it to my students. I teach 7th and 8th grade.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Genesplicer posted:

I was in my 4th year of teaching when this came out. So, no.

And, no, I did not show it to my students. I teach 7th and 8th grade.

What is something you teach the 7th graders specifically? If you would.

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

Total Clam
Right now we are looking at the history of science (Something I teach that is not part of the curriculum, but I feel is important to understand if you want to know how we got where we are today.) Next, we will be studying the Geology of Mars.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Genesplicer posted:

Right now we are looking at the history of science (Something I teach that is not part of the curriculum, but I feel is important to understand if you want to know how we got where we are today.) Next, we will be studying the Geology of Mars.

I have been reading the book called "Red Mars" by Kim Stanley Robinson.

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

Total Clam

redshirt posted:

I have been reading the book called "Red Mars" by Kim Stanley Robinson.

Make sure you read the other two books in the series, as well. It's a great trilogy.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Genesplicer posted:

Make sure you read the other two books in the series, as well. It's a great trilogy.

I already have both in my library.

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH
Kids was practically a parody of the After School Special by being so over the top but it doesn't surprise me it would be shown health class in an unironic way, I remember my health teacher in 9th grade not showing but recommending Trainspotting and Requiem for a Dream

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Private Cumshoe posted:

Kids was practically a parody of the After School Special by being so over the top but it doesn't surprise me it would be shown health class in an unironic way, I remember my health teacher in 9th grade not showing but recommending Trainspotting and Requiem for a Dream

Both are far better films.

Halisnacks
Jul 18, 2009
It feels quaint that the moral panic back then was kids doing drugs, having unsafe (and non-consensual) sex, engaging in violence, being homophobic. Like, even if the film was extremely exaggerated, we can probably agree we don’t want young teenagers doing these things, and in the case of violence, hate and non-consensual sex, we don’t want anyone doing these things.

Now the moral panic is what… fear that kids will think deeply about and perhaps question their gender identity?

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

We watched some early 80s/late 70s after school special crap with feathered hair people about a guy ruining his life by knocking a girl up. Corny as poo poo, but “glove up stupid, don’t ruin your life” as a guiding philosophy has now worked for two generations.

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

cool

Hatsune Mike
Oct 9, 2013

I had to watch this poo poo in middle school health class

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Hatsune Mike posted:

I had to watch this poo poo in middle school health class

Public school?

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
I remember watching the film Shattered Glass a million times in HS and reading The Lottery at least five times (and no other Shirley Jackson, which is a shame).

I was 10 when 9/11 happened and my teacher was a Vietnam vet who DID NOT sugarcoat a single thing about what happened (or anything - ever). Once he learned of something, he told us pretty much afterwards. We spent the school day just talking and kind of processing what we learned as we learned of it as a class, which in 2023 seems downright progressive.

Now as an adult, I couldn’t imagine being a teacher that day having to inform a room of approx 25 ten year olds of literally 9/11 happening and managing to keep it all together. We don’t pay teachers enough.

Brain Curry
Feb 15, 2007

People think that I'm lazy
People think that I'm this fool because
I give a fuck about the government
I didn't graduate from high school

We were fresh out of high school in 95, but we did watch Kids while drinking 40s and smoking weed, hooting and hollering as they showed Washington Square where we bought weed. Can’t imagine watching it in school what the gently caress

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

teen witch posted:

I remember watching the film Shattered Glass a million times in HS and reading The Lottery at least five times (and no other Shirley Jackson, which is a shame).

I was 10 when 9/11 happened and my teacher was a Vietnam vet who DID NOT sugarcoat a single thing about what happened (or anything - ever). Once he learned of something, he told us pretty much afterwards. We spent the school day just talking and kind of processing what we learned as we learned of it as a class, which in 2023 seems downright progressive.

Now as an adult, I couldn’t imagine being a teacher that day having to inform a room of approx 25 ten year olds of literally 9/11 happening and managing to keep it all together. We don’t pay teachers enough.

I'm imagining Walter from The Big Lebowski laying out 100 years of Middle East history.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
I watched kids and gummo in HS but not *in* HS.

What the gently caress was wrong with your teacher

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man
my great-great-aunt sang "My Little Rooster," which is the weird folk song in Gummo. based on the rest of the family, i'm pretty sure Gummo would have confused the gently caress out of her and Kids would have been terribly disappointing

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

redshirt posted:

I'm imagining Walter from The Big Lebowski laying out 100 years of Middle East history.

We had a LOT of Vietnam stories that year and some I still faintly remember. Nothing super gruesome but I learned about Agent Orange real quick.

He was also pretty to the point about shittier aspects of modern American history, he taught us about the Klan, internment camps, the effects of the nuclear bombs on Japan, and probably more if I ask some of my friends.

Fifth grade teacher, and in hindsight, if one angry right wing nut caught wind of that in tyool 2k23 he’d be fired, probably into the sun. We were his last class before he retired and then 9/11 his last year of teaching, so maybe it was a “what the gently caress are they going to do” type thing.

He was/still is also a fisherman and came in with a bluefish and flounder he caught the weekend prior, and dissected it in class, two kids fainted. He used the cleavers he joked about keeping in the back room for bad students. After the fish dissection, he fried it all up and we had it for lunch and it ruled.

He read us Harrison Bergeron, and for that I remain ever grateful. One of the best teachers I’ve ever had.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Samuel L. ACKSYN posted:

no but we watched that one with the student that jumps out the window after smoking crack or whatever

Lmao that was Helen Hunt

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_DqM9iqERg

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Halisnacks posted:

It feels quaint that the moral panic back then was kids doing drugs, having unsafe (and non-consensual) sex, engaging in violence, being homophobic. Like, even if the film was extremely exaggerated, we can probably agree we don’t want young teenagers doing these things, and in the case of violence, hate and non-consensual sex, we don’t want anyone doing these things.

Now the moral panic is what… fear that kids will think deeply about and perhaps question their gender identity?

in some places, yes, absolutely, that and being queer. there are parents clamoring to ban books from student libraries for mentioning positive homosexual relationships or coming of age stories.

but also, Kids was made before Columbine, which changed quite a lot, it was practically a different world. i wouldn't really lump "fear of school shootings" in with "moral panics" in the normal sense, obviously school shootings are a very real and horrible danger, but I do remember immediately after Columbine there were many instances where the reaction was to isolate any kids who wore black, played video games, listened to metal, did anything that suburban parents associated with the Columbine shooters due to how they were described in the media, which absolutely led to a lot of moral panic witch hunt bullshit.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
We were shown incredibly graphic anti drink driving stuff. I think it being just pre internet made it actually work as we were all pretty shocked by it.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

3 kids died the year before I got to high school in a crash, and they kept that vehicle by the front door for a year. Seemed terrifying and macabre as a freshman.

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

Earwicker posted:

in some places, yes, absolutely, that and being queer. there are parents clamoring to ban books from student libraries for mentioning positive homosexual relationships or coming of age stories.

but also, Kids was made before Columbine, which changed quite a lot, it was practically a different world. i wouldn't really lump "fear of school shootings" in with "moral panics" in the normal sense, obviously school shootings are a very real and horrible danger, but I do remember immediately after Columbine there were many instances where the reaction was to isolate any kids who wore black, played video games, listened to metal, did anything that suburban parents associated with the Columbine shooters due to how they were described in the media, which absolutely led to a lot of moral panic witch hunt bullshit.

my high school banned trench coats. but nobody wore a trench coat to begin with.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

driving like a complete idiot is one of the few things parents should actually be worried about teens (and young adults) doing and that they actually do and is actually dangerous. definitely the #1 cause of death among my high school classmates until i hit middle age

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Earwicker posted:

driving like a complete idiot is one of the few things parents should actually be worried about teens (and young adults) doing and that they actually do and is actually dangerous. definitely the #1 cause of death among my high school classmates until i hit middle age

Young and drunk is a deadly combination.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plan R
Oct 5, 2021

For Romeo

Buce posted:

my high school banned trench coats. but nobody wore a trench coat to begin with.

I remember my junior year, the seniors did the whole "Toga Day" thing. Imagine a sea of white and there's my friend (to this very day) with his red hair and his black trench coat.

This is like a month after Columbine.