Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH

teen witch posted:

I remember watching the film Shattered Glass a million times in HS

Maybe high schools just want people to get really into Chloe Sevigny which is understandable because she rules.

They should also screen Last Days of Disco and her oscar nod, Boys Don't Cry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mst4k
Apr 18, 2003

budlitemolaram

My PE teacher would bring the Tyson fights he recorded off HBO from the night before and we'd watch all 1:50 of the fight over and over! Hit em again Iron Mike!!!

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

mst4k posted:

My PE teacher would bring the Tyson fights he recorded off HBO from the night before and we'd watch all 1:50 of the fight over and over! Hit em again Iron Mike!!!

lol Nice. That Buster Douglas fight must have been shocking. I watched it on a projection TV in this grim basement.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Private Cumshoe posted:

Maybe high schools just want people to get really into Chloe Sevigny which is understandable because she rules.

They should also screen Last Days of Disco and her oscar nod, Boys Don't Cry.

Don’t worry, I was and remain fully on the Sevigny express. Her and Natasha Lyonne, god bless.

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.
We were shown Kids in the 11th or 12th year with very little context or explanation of what was actually happening in the film and the whys and wherefores.

Similarly, we also were shown Requiem for a Dream, not as an "artistic film that you need to wrestle with" but more an "if you think about drugs this will happen to you too"! I adore Aronofsky's films but I still can't watch it or hear Requiem's main theme without my stomach doing rolls.

In that way it worked(?) but I still ended up a drug-chasing reprobate in my adult life, so did it really?

I also remember a PSA-production-quality affair where a girl gets grounded when her parents find her cocaine stash.

Crystal Thenis
Mar 23, 2023

by sebmojo
I watched it when I was about 15 and it blew my mind and got me into some great music and went with the whole CKY thing

rewatching in my 20’s was rough and i think I would actively hate it now lol.

bully was cool but probably would be the same

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
I probably watched Stand and Deliver about a dozen times because the math teacher didn't have a lesson plan and didn't care.

Halisnacks
Jul 18, 2009
It’s too bad there isn’t a film-length version of Dopesick so today’s high schoolers could get a movie to watch to scare them about the opioid crisis, just how addictive that poo poo is, and also give them a healthy skepticism of capitalism.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Radio Paranoia posted:

Similarly, we also were shown Requiem for a Dream, not as an "artistic film that you need to wrestle with" but more an "if you think about drugs this will happen to you too"! I adore Aronofsky's films but I still can't watch it or hear Requiem's main theme without my stomach doing rolls.

yea its a shame that movie is so traumatizing because the music is actually extremely good. but its hard to hear without thinking of the movie

Crystal Thenis
Mar 23, 2023

by sebmojo

Earwicker posted:

yea its a shame that movie is so traumatizing because the music is actually extremely good. but its hard to hear without thinking of the movie

they used to use it for sky sports football in the UK

it reminds me of hanging around with nobheads

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

rear end to rear end

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

thats a weird thing to use it for but then i remember when some cruise ship company used iggy pop's "lust for life" for their commercials so i guess people will just strip the context from anything

Crystal Thenis
Mar 23, 2023

by sebmojo

Earwicker posted:

thats a weird thing to use it for but then i remember when some cruise ship company used iggy pop's "lust for life" for their commercials so i guess people will just strip the context from anything

I think it works to get people into a weird headspace

people would zone out to that intro music and then be drunk with shark eyes and turn into monsters. granted some of that is just sport but yeah, that music does stuff behind the scenes.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

We had a master chief who got shot in the head by a Korean gentleman during the police action. Onstensibly it was an eat your vitamins and go to college talk. He got diverted into talking about the alien conspiracy. He said we need to believe. He knew people. He said there were underground UFO bases throughout Appalachia with little grey alien worker drones. If they ever decided to attack, we don't stand a chance. So go to college.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Mulaney Power Move posted:

We had a master chief who got shot in the head by a Korean gentleman during the police action. Onstensibly it was an eat your vitamins and go to college talk. He got diverted into talking about the alien conspiracy. He said we need to believe. He knew people. He said there were underground UFO bases throughout Appalachia with little grey alien worker drones. If they ever decided to attack, we don't stand a chance. So go to college.

That's why I advertise as open to working with invading aliens on LinkedIn.

Plan R
Oct 5, 2021

For Romeo

teen witch posted:

I rented Kids from Blockbuster at like 14? It was like 2005, no one cared.

That was basically my experience. I hardly remember Rosario Dawson.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

Earwicker posted:

After I recovered from watching the movie - took a couple days - I ran out and bought the soundtrack by the Kronos Quartet, it is great music, but I still can’t not see the refrigerator moving when I hear one of the songs.

Extra row of tits
Oct 31, 2020

Poohs Packin posted:

I remember a couple of classes in our High School showing this movie in like 2003 or 2004 as part of some sociology or health initiative. This was in a suburban school in Michigan and was meant to be a warning or something about having sex or doing drugs I guess?

The movie was rated NC-17 at the time and they were showing it to sophomore classrooms, to children who were into pokemon and strugging in Algebra 2. It was mostly confusing to me because the movie showed a guy that had sex, rocked phat jeans, smoked weed, skateboarded and drank 40s all day while listening to classic NYC 90s hip-hop tracks. Honestly it looked like the coolest poo poo ever.

Turns out he has AIDS though which isn't cool, nor is unknowingly spreading it around or talking trash about virgins you banged.

I'm curious if anyone else had to watch this trash as a youngster or has any insight into what people were thinking showing this in public high schools.

It just seems like some administrator got wind of it, was totally out of touch, and decided that a bunch of suburban white kids needed to know the Sickening and Heartbreaking Truths of Washington Square Park in the 90s.

Another in the long line of middle class “Everybody panic this is what all kids are doing today!!!” movies.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I'm a little too old for that to have been a high school thing for me, but I remember when it came out me and my friends were all 20=something druggie stoner partier types and we rented it, made it about 20 minutes in and shut it off because it sucked.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

they should make high school kids watch slacker in history class when the 90's come up

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Heathers should be mandatory viewing

Plan R
Oct 5, 2021

For Romeo
"Kids" was a hosed up movie, period.

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH

kri kri posted:

rear end to rear end

And a tooth for a drat tooth!

Wait that was Fear, which should also be shown in high schools because it's hilarious and teaches valuable lessons like, uh, don't be friends with Alyssa Milano

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Earwicker posted:

The US Beef lobbying group did a PSA with a clip of Reverend Horton Heat's "Eat Steak" as the music roughly around the same time, and it was similarly dissonant.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

CaptainSarcastic posted:

The US Beef lobbying group did a PSA with a clip of Reverend Horton Heat's "Eat Steak" as the music roughly around the same time, and it was similarly dissonant.

I followed The Reverend for a Summer Tour.

Plan R
Oct 5, 2021

For Romeo

kri kri posted:

rear end to rear end

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

teen witch posted:

I remember watching the film Shattered Glass a million times in HS and reading The Lottery at least five times (and no other Shirley Jackson, which is a shame).

is that the jukt micronics one? cuz i still say "jukt micronics" pretty frequently as i go about my life

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

Earwicker posted:

they should make high school kids watch slacker in history class when the 90's come up

and they should watch johnny mnemonic for an overview of what life was like in the 2020s

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
not a movie but after the AP US test, our teacher had us do this assignment where kids chose a song and had to explain its political or social significance after playing the song.

I think like five kids chose Fortunate Son, and we had to hear the song in full and the explanation, multiple times. CCR is cool but Christ I still never want to hear that song again.

(I chose Rockin’ in the Free World)

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Buce posted:

is that the jukt micronics one? cuz i still say "jukt micronics" pretty frequently as i go about my life

YES!!!!!!!!! My friends and I STILL use it as a Rusty Shackleford type name.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

teen witch posted:

not a movie but after the AP US test, our teacher had us do this assignment where kids chose a song and had to explain its political or social significance after playing the song.

I think like five kids chose Fortunate Son, and we had to hear the song in full and the explanation, multiple times. CCR is cool but Christ I still never want to hear that song again.

(I chose Rockin’ in the Free World)

What was the significance of "Rockin' in the Free World"?

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

teen witch posted:

YES!!!!!!!!! My friends and I STILL use it as a Rusty Shackleford type name.

very nice

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

redshirt posted:

What was the significance of "Rockin' in the Free World"?

Because I can’t resurrect my 2007 MacBook:

quote:

The lyrics criticize the George H. W. Bush administration, then in its first month, quoting Bush's famous "thousand points of light" remark from his 1989 inaugural address and his 1988 presidential campaign promise for America to become a "kinder, gentler nation". The song also refers to Ayatollah Khomeini's proclamation that the United States was the "Great Satan" and Jesse Jackson's 1988 campaign slogan, "Keep hope alive".

I expanded upon that a bit, managed to get an A in a class where the teacher wasn’t too fond of me.

I think only one person attempted the gauntlet known as We Didn’t Start The Fire, though to be fair this was on LI so it’s not like we didn’t know about that song already in excruciating depth.

Plan R
Oct 5, 2021

For Romeo
Don't throw Bloodhound Gang in there. We're all too old and too young for this poo poo.

Ralph Hurley
Aug 3, 2009

:barf::sweep::zoid:

Grey Cat posted:

Wtf could they even mean by this? I'm racking my brain.

It’s a red herring

Ralph Hurley
Aug 3, 2009

:barf::sweep::zoid:

Kids came out long after I graduated high school but I remember my sociology teacher senior year showing us a lot of movies and specials he had taped from TV because it was easier than teaching us sociology. Stuff like Geraldo Rivera interviewing Charles Manson.

He showed us a TV movie from 1972 called the Glass House. Alan Alda is a mild mannered guy who ends up in prison for murder but it was self defense. Gritty rear end movie, there was a gnarly scene where a certain bad thing you always hear about happening in prison happens to a younger inmate. I learned later it’s adapted from a Truman Capote novel. Apparently Billy Dee Williams is also in it but I don’t remember his character. And it was filmed in a real rear end prison with real inmates as extras. I’ve been morbidly curious about rewatching it at some point but it freaked me out even at 17.

Scenes I remember from Kids:

A lengthy scene with a group of very young boys passing a joint and swearing a lot. I got the feeling these were not actors but real actual hosed up children being exploited for the film.

One of the main characters wandering around the aftermath of the party drinking the dregs out of all the solo cups.

Two guys talking about how the one likes to gently caress underage girls while the other one sucks fruit juice out of a tampon and says he prefers his girls to have “mad flavor”

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler
I watched it when I was in high school but not in school, that's so bizarre to me. Personally I think everyone should have to watch But I'm a Cheerleader in high school. But with friends not at school that would be weird.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Kids was pretty much a perfect snapshot in time of early 90s skater kids. It mirrored our group so close that it really was a shock, minus the rape and AIDs. But I could absolutely see this happening with other kids all over the country because there are assholes everywhere.

BasicFunk
Feb 26, 2011

How's your Funkentelechy?
I had seen it at a friend's house, and jokingly suggested it to a teacher for us to watch in class. I didn't think anything of it, until he brought it in. The last few months before I graduated were kinda awkward.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

he was so good in men at work