Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

JnnyThndrs posted:

Possibly, but it makes a lot more sense in the context of ‘blew out’. That song came out at the absolute height of the CB craze, everybody and their brother was cosplaying at being truckers.

he's talking about breaking your sandals on the beach while burgin out and drinking a margarita

where is the CB radio on the beach

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Breaker Breaker 10 Forward. Sound off. Over.

Troublemaker
Mar 12, 2007

Blew out my flip-flop
Stepped on a pop top
Cut my heel, had to cruise on back home.

WTF does that have to do with CB radios?

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
As stupid as the comment is, flip-flop doesn’t even mean CB radio. It’s CB slang for return trip.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

tell me you're a CB operator in the RIP Jimmy Buffett thread without telling me you're a CB operator, with no context

I love these forums

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

As stupid as the comment is, flip-flop doesn’t even mean CB radio. It’s CB slang for return trip.

No poo poo, didn’t know that, ok, I’m a fuckin’ moron, sorry everybody.

emSparkly
Nov 21, 2022

I'm open to interpretation!

Troublemaker posted:

Blew out my flip-flop
Stepped on a pop top

I swear the album version he said "limp on back home" which makes more sense because if you had a vehicle then why is cutting your foot such a huge deal?

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

:Yeah over, this is Redshirt and I am here to sacrifice...

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

MrQwerty posted:

tell me you're a CB operator in the RIP Jimmy Buffett thread without telling me you're a CB operator, with no context

I love these forums
Everyone who was a white kid in the 70s knows the song Convoy.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

*pulls big semi chain twice

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Great big fuckin convoy

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Troublemaker posted:

Blew out my flip-flop
Stepped on a pop top

You see Jimmy was talking about his CB radio and that's when he stepped on a pop top and cut up his foot.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
I used to work for a company that made expensive audio players. Sometimes we would get customer devices back for analysis when they were malfunctioning. Most of them were unexceptional but every once in a while you’d get one that was entirely filled with jimmy buffett songs. Hundreds of them. These people were listening to only jimmy buffett all day every day. That’s my story, thanks for reading.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

The Management posted:

I used to work for a company that made expensive audio players. Sometimes we would get customer devices back for analysis when they were malfunctioning. Most of them were unexceptional but every once in a while you’d get one that was entirely filled with jimmy buffett songs. Hundreds of them. These people were listening to only jimmy buffett all day every day. That’s my story, thanks for reading.

My mom used to work with a Buffethead, my brother would watch her lab that took phenobarbitol for his seizures while she traveled around seeing Jimmy Buffet ~4 months out of the year

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

People do the same for Phish. Or the Dead. Or Taylor Swift. If they are into it, more power to them.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8hiOnLknh6s

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

MrQwerty posted:

Buffethead

Disrespectful.

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

emSparkly posted:

I swear the album version he said "limp on back home" which makes more sense because if you had a vehicle then why is cutting your foot such a huge deal?

He's just "cruising" around on foot, drunk on blended booze and near the beach. No vehicles involved. At most it would be some kind of water craft.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Szyznyk posted:

Disrespectful.

Margaritavillian?

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

MrQwerty posted:

Margaritavillian?

Seaweed Sam, the Beach Closer

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

God, please take Mike Love next. tia

Mindless
Dec 7, 2001

WANTED: INFO on Mindless. Anything! Everything! Send to
Pillbug
Across the country, hundreds of lakeside parrot themed bars are wailing into the dark, waving watered-down beers in the air and having boating accidents. For the Street Players, the set hasn't changed, but their hearts have.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I was at the gym today and I saw some boomers gather around the TV that plays CNN and they all had the exact same look on their faces that I haven't seen since a particular September day nearly 23 years ago. I didn't even need to look up to know what they were reacting to.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Mindless posted:

Across the country, hundreds of lakeside parrot themed bars are wailing into the dark, waving watered-down beers in the air and having boating accidents. For the Street Players, the set hasn't changed, but their hearts have.

I think you'd find it's the frozen margaritas that are watered down. Don't want to water down the beer as the bathrooms already got a line of people that can't hold their piss.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Detective No. 27 posted:

I was at the gym today and I saw some boomers gather around the TV that plays CNN and they all had the exact same look on their faces that I haven't seen since a particular September day nearly 23 years ago. I didn't even need to look up to know what they were reacting to.

A SECOND MARGARITA PLEASE JOSE

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

I tried googling "Jimmy buffet scandal" and "controversy" to see if there was some dark past that I had overlooked, but came up empty . it seems the man was a clean and wholesome beach bum (and I'm glad of it)!

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Thesaurus posted:

I tried googling "Jimmy buffet scandal" and "controversy" to see if there was some dark past that I had overlooked, but came up empty . it seems the man was a clean and wholesome beach bum (and I'm glad of it)!

Looks like he donated $966 to help John Fetterman so that’s a plus.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Dude just wanted to burg out on the beach with a stiff margarita and strum on a guitar, can't fault that

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

MrQwerty posted:

Dude just wanted to burg out on the beach with a stiff margarita and strum on a guitar, can't fault that

It's nobody's fault

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

He died is skin cancer. How Boomer of him

Lord Wexia
Sep 27, 2005

Boo zombie apocalypse.
Hooray beer!
Like many people, Jimmy Buffett is inseparable from my father in my memory. I am sad that Jimmy is no longer out there making drinks, flying, and boating. One of the best to ever do it.

Do yourself a favor and listen to some JB outside of the big 10

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Yes I am a goon
20 years too late
The memes don't thunder
There's no lolz to plunder
I'm an over 40 victim of fate
... arriving too late

Prof. Crocodile
Jun 27, 2020

MrQwerty posted:

My mom used to work with a Buffethead, my brother would watch her lab that took phenobarbitol for his seizures while she traveled around seeing Jimmy Buffet ~4 months out of the year

A guy I used to work with once described this phenomenon as 'like The Grateful Dead for orthodontists' and I think of that every time I hear a Jimmy Buffet song.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Lord Wexia posted:

He had 1 song

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

rodbeard posted:

He had 1 song

Cheeseburgerville

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
It's 5 o clock somewhere

stuxracer
May 4, 2006

I get nostalgic for family beach trips when I hear CBs in Paradise

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
Lahaina, Maui was wiped off the face of the Earth and now Jimmy Buffett is dead.

Island Vibes in complete shambles.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Lord Wexia posted:

Like many people, Jimmy Buffett is inseparable from my father in my memory. I am sad that Jimmy is no longer out there making drinks, flying, and boating. One of the best to ever do it.

Banana Wind is my favorite album. I had that thing on repeat as a kid

My dad too adored Buffett and I called him and he said he cried insanely hard at the news :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

When they play Fins at the Dolphins game now it’s going to be a real bring down. As a tribute it’s time to bring back Landshark Lager Stadium.