Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

Platystemon posted:

Why would people bring e-bikes?

Nothing is more than two miles from anything else and it’s as flat as any place on Earth gets.

they’re extremely popular with people who come solely to get hosed up at dance parties

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Platystemon posted:

Why would people bring e-bikes?

Nothing is more than two miles from anything else and it’s as flat as any place on Earth gets.

I don't have an ebike but some of them appear to come in forms that would be better than a normal mountain bike for getting around in terms of dust patches where you need a bigger wheel+weight for traction or bumpier areas where more suspension would be nice, and in a more casual posture. Or for dragging something behind you. But I never brought anything nice out with me back in the day (phone was turned off and in a plastic baggie) because I knew the dust would get everywhere and wreck things, so the idea of bringing a fancy bike is weird. I used to tow my wife around in a bizarre shopping cart/toddler carrier nightmare with solid wheels and was made of iron and looked like it would kill her at any moment.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Floating on loose ground is the draw of a “fat bike”. They don’t have to be electrified, but it’s common for electric bikes to use fat tires for comfort and because the weight/rolling resistance penalties matter less if a motor is paying them.

So why not bring an electric bike if that’s what’s available? Because the salt/sand destroys everything. Don’t even bring a nice pedal bike. Bring a beater.

Are fat tires and generous frame clearances enough to keep a person rolling on that muck? I kind of doubt it, seeing what happened to boots and not seeing videos of people biking, but maybe.

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!
E bikes are costlier, heavier, more wasteful, and less useful off-grid. They fit in perfectly with the paunchy techbro chic on display. It’s beautiful.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
when you're on all the drugs pedaling can be confusing instead of rocketing off into the dark with a push of a button

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

Philthy posted:

when you're on all the drugs pedaling can be confusing instead of rocketing off into the dark with a push of a button

this goon gets it

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Drugs and anything with a motor are one of those very fun and also very terrible ideas.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

They would've needed these to not get stuck in the mud, and it would've been a matter of time until the back tires were clay racing slicks

Also re: drugs and driving - my college buddies/my old landlord Heavily Emphasized that the point of Burning Man was to do a shitload of drugs and drive around. They went in the early/mid-90s, when it was obviously wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy less people, and tbh there really isn't poo poo to hit out there. My landlord described an art car project that allowed you to do drive-bys with actual AKs, and my buddies both talked about doing all the mushrooms in the world and hauling rear end across the desert on snowmobiles. Ofc you can't do any of that poo poo anymore.

Burning Man really isnt that far from Reno and weirdo-redneck culture used to influence it more.

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

Vampire Panties posted:

They would've needed these to not get stuck in the mud, and it would've been a matter of time until the back tires were clay racing slicks

Also re: drugs and driving - my college buddies/my old landlord Heavily Emphasized that the point of Burning Man was to do a shitload of drugs and drive around. They went in the early/mid-90s, when it was obviously wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy less people, and tbh there really isn't poo poo to hit out there. My landlord described an art car project that allowed you to do drive-bys with actual AKs, and my buddies both talked about doing all the mushrooms in the world and hauling rear end across the desert on snowmobiles. Ofc you can't do any of that poo poo anymore.

Burning Man really isnt that far from Reno and weirdo-redneck culture used to influence it more.

yeah, they were way cooler back then
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YinnJHknTXw

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

lol my Facebook aquaintance who went to Burning Man is getting roasted by his friends and is having none of it

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

i don’t think your friend gets burning man. sorry you had to find out this way

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Me when my camping trip gets rain: I am a TRAUMA SURVIVOR

mystes
May 31, 2006

Very weird and surprising that people are less sympathetic to people who go out to the middle of the desert to go to a very expensive party and intentionally put themselves in the path of bad weather than they are to people whose houses are destroyed by hurricanes, etc.

Also lol at people who go to burning man being furious that other people don't appreciate just how awesome and cool they are for doing that

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
At least he’s not in denial in calling it a “megaton nuke of a poo poo show”, but it’s pretty cringe to refer to himself as a trauma survivor.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

smoobles posted:

lol my Facebook aquaintance who went to Burning Man is getting roasted by his friends and is having none of it

loving :lol::lmao:

One of my medium-grade regrets is that I never got my poo poo together to go to Burning Man circa 00/01. I had an opportunity to go to Burning Man 2023, before the rain was predicted, but decided to pass because I felt like it wouldn't really be the same. Even if the weather had been nice, sharing a festival with a dude like the person quoted would've been a loving buzzkill and a half.

Now I will go out into the desert by myself and do drugs like a normal person

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

smoobles posted:

"Trauma survivor"

Now that's insulting

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!
"there will be no commentary on this post" [10 comments]

Love to think they were all saying "you get the burn you need" or generally taking the piss but I doubt it.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Imagine going to a therapist for your Burning Man mud trauma.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

I'm sick of seeing animated weiners french kissing in every fucking GBS thread.
I have been hailed on multiple times while hiking in the mountains, you can't even imagine the amount of trauma I carry from that

really it's close to surviving a battlefield imo

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

smoobles posted:

"there will be no commentary on this post" next to the link that says "10 comments"

best bale
Jul 4, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

MrQwerty posted:

I have been hailed on multiple times while hiking in the mountains,
:smith::hf::smith:

quote:

really it's close to surviving a battlefield imo
Absolutely

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Ask me about my STD collection!

smoobles posted:

I swear everyone has a Facebook acquaintance who gets roasted for Burning Man poo poo.

I know this dude who quit his job and started a gofundme to pay for his trip and people were like "Are you serious? Are you a loving idiot?" And he also got all indignant, it was great. He did not go to Burning Man.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

this man is 45 years old btw

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

I'm sick of seeing animated weiners french kissing in every fucking GBS thread.

best bale posted:

:smith::hf::smith:

Absolutely

i am making fun of that person but yeah don't get hailed on by stuff bigger than peas in the open mountains, it sucks dick!

smoobles posted:

:lmao:

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Ask me about my STD collection!

smoobles posted:

I wouldn't assume an acquaintance of a goon would be any younger than this

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

smoobles posted:

:lmao: you have some amazing pals. the best

Sierra Nevadan
Nov 1, 2010

Vampire Panties posted:

Now I will go out into the desert by myself and do drugs like a normal person

I'm lucky to live close enough to go out there on off time. It truly is a awesome place without people around.

The early summer gets a lot of dirt bikers and people shooting guns and stuff though. The fall is great, but you have to really be up on the weather forecast. I go out where the hot springs are way out like 15 miles from where burning man happens.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Jelly posted:

I wouldn't assume an acquaintance of a goon would be any younger than this

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
those vietnam vets complained about humping through the bush knee deep in mud, but they got nothing on my camping trip in '21 when it rained for a day straight

best bale
Jul 4, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

MrQwerty posted:

i am making fun of that person but yeah don't get hailed on by stuff bigger than peas in the open mountains, it sucks dick!

I was just adding to your joke, I’ve never been hailed on. but I have seen the really small kind! Which I’m also now counting towards my tragedy survivor status

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

For the most part, everyone I know who was out there has gotten back now. Their reports have pretty much all been that it wasn't nearly as bad as everyone made it out to be. I think it's just the people who freaked out the most who got out first and have been flooding the internet with their stories.

That said, the mud was pretty crazy. Here's a friend's picture of their boots after taking a short walk while it was still wet out...

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

why are you getting your filthy boots on the rug, were you raised in a barn

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

LanceHunter posted:

For the most part, everyone I know who was out there has gotten back now. Their reports have pretty much all been that it wasn't nearly as bad as everyone made it out to be. I think it's just the people who freaked out the most who got out first and have been flooding the internet with their stories.

That said, the mud was pretty crazy. Here's a friend's picture of their boots after taking a short walk while it was still wet out...

Thats what the mud there does. The most common solutions ended up being bare feet, bags over shoes, socks, and socks over bags over socks.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

smoobles posted:

There will be no commentary on this post.

Just as bad at predicting the internet as he is at predicting the weather, I see

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

festivals rule but they always carry a risk of becoming an absolute gently caress if bad weather arrives

ive had great luck with weather but i have seen wind throw a bunch of e-z ups and un-staked tents in the air a few times

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Jelly posted:

I swear everyone has a Facebook acquaintance who gets roasted for Burning Man poo poo.

I know this dude who quit his job and started a gofundme to pay for his trip and people were like "Are you serious? Are you a loving idiot?" And he also got all indignant, it was great. He did not go to Burning Man.

I wish he went to burning man

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

Chief McHeath posted:

festivals rule but they always carry a risk of becoming an absolute gently caress if bad weather arrives

ive had great luck with weather but i have seen wind throw a bunch of e-z ups and un-staked tents in the air a few times

Get lag bolts

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

two lags and some chain to go between. rolling up like the ghost of jacob marley. it’s the only way to be sure. toss some ratchet straps in for good measure

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

Sierra Nevadan posted:

I'm lucky to live close enough to go out there on off time. It truly is a awesome place without people around.

The early summer gets a lot of dirt bikers and people shooting guns and stuff though. The fall is great, but you have to really be up on the weather forecast. I go out where the hot springs are way out like 15 miles from where burning man happens.

:haibrow: I'm at the southern range of the desert, but I've been to Joshua Tree quite a few times :okpos:

LanceHunter posted:

:lol: there's going to be a Burning Man flood of used/thrashed RVs with that poo poo caked everywhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!
Imagine a bunch of rich kids not knowing what to do when it rains when they go camping.

That's basically what this is, then they act like they are all victims.