Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012
I backed this on Kickstarter and I've been following along with the development and I'm thrilled that the developers have managed to survive both the normal calamities involved with setting up physical product and the emergence of Covid. I've gotten a handful of virtual games in via Tabletop Simulator and it's a very interesting game. There's a lot of oddities and little problems, but the tempo of the game and the interplay keep it moving.

spectralent posted:

I backed this, purely on the strength of the models and I'm constantly surprised how disruptions that'd sink smaller-scale projects have been weathered by the devs - on that basis alone I hope it does well.

That said, I never actually played the game - aside from customisability, what're the games' strengths? It looks kinda complicated!

I'd say that the game's biggest strength is its focus on planning out your turn, trying to divine what your opponent is likely to do, and foiling their plans. In the last game I played it genuinely came down to the bottom of the last turn to see if I could secure a win. (Unfortunately, my opponent was able to exploit my over-extension on exploiting their over-extension and I couldn't land a sufficiently decisive blow on any of their mechs.) If you ever played Frozen Synapse, the feeling of "simultaneous planning pileups" is pretty close to the way this game feels when it's being played.
e: also the plastic kits look really good

Wales Grey fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Sep 4, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU