Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Every language and/or dialect has to have a word for something physically located diagonally away from another thing. In the dialect of my language that I speak, such a thing is called "catty corner".

It's an adjective.

As in, "The house on the street was catty corner to the stop sign." I'd only use this phrase for physical objects out in the world. What's your phrase for that? I'd love to hear foreign words and weird words from foreign places.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

HTTP 400: Bad post
kitty corner

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH
Chrissy Dorner

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

I always thought it was caddy corner but that's probably just because I only ever heard my dad say it out loud, never written down.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
I'm pretty sure that every time I've had to describe something as diagonally across from something, I've just said "[thing A] is diagonally across from [thing B]"

I've heard of "kitty corner" and "catty corner", but I don't think I've never heard anyone use either of them

edit: fwiw "my culture" is Queens, New York, for context's sake

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005
I live in the United States in a major city and do not have a word for this. Across the street on the other side?

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Pet Cemetery

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

i usually just say "diagonal from"

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

diagonally across from

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
"diagonal from" or possibly even "across, but like, diagonally across"

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

No one ever uses this anymore, which is why I've never seen it written down. Diagonal from or diagonal across the intersection is good enough the 2 times I've needed to use it ever.

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

cattywampus

I live in massachusetts, as far as I know it’s an Irish expression

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQ1TNIYAds0

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo

pencilhands posted:

cattywampus

I live in massachusetts, as far as I know it’s an Irish expression

I realize who I'm replying to but that words means something different

Possibly :thejoke: or :ironicat:

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Lol yes also that... Someone told me cattywumpus growing up and I was like wtf is that and they said catty corner and said what the gently caress is that and they said eventually, diagonal across an intersection... And I was like why didn't you just say so

Edit:bumfuck middle America

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

maybealabia posted:

I realize who I'm replying to but that words means something different

Possibly :thejoke: or :ironicat:

I thought they meant the same thing

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

pencilhands posted:

I thought they meant the same thing

It does where I'm from no idea what that guy is getting at.

Wee
Dec 16, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Every language and/or dialect has to have a word for something physically located diagonally away

Diagonally away

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Kitty corner for real.

Zefiel
Sep 14, 2007

You can do whatever you want in life.

Contraesquina

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
My hometown has some kinda strange/particular colloquialisms including for this situation, but it not allowed to post the word we call it here :pwn:

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

100% DOG LOVER
ALL DOGS LOVED, ALL THE TIME
people say kitty corner around here (southern ontario) but i hate it so i say diagonally across. btw if anyone is wondering kitty/catty/caddy is from french, quatre

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo

Wendigee posted:

It does where I'm from no idea what that guy is getting at.

Well I'm no prescriptivist

I did look it up now and I do see that definition. I've only seen that word mean screwed up, like the way someone might say things went haywire or pear shaped

But I can see "slanted" as a reason for that

For the record I heard "kittycorner" growing up but I would probably say "diagonally across from"

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Earwicker posted:

i usually just say "diagonal from"

Yeah.

But my city is gridded out in the cardinal directions pointing north, so I tend to say “on the southwest corner of” or “on the northeastern corner” more than “diagonally from.” If you’re from here, you would also know that most east-west streets are Streets and north-south streets are Avenues which make giving directions easy.

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

btw if anyone is wondering kitty/catty/caddy is from french, quatre

For real? I guess I don't live in a city block so maybe the phrase is just not used here at all.

Is that the same reason they call things in Louisiana "the French quarter"? I don't really get it

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

people say kitty corner around here (southern ontario) but i hate it so i say diagonally across. btw if anyone is wondering kitty/catty/caddy is from french, quatre

drat Acadians!

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Nooner posted:

My hometown has some kinda strange/particular colloquialisms including for this situation, but it not allowed to post the word we call it here :pwn:

Make the post

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Nooner posted:

Post it you liar

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

Paralleln't

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Nooner posted:

Put it in spoiler with a legal disclaimer, waiving you of all responsibility.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I just want to hear what other languages call it, whether they have a word for physically diagonal or they use a phrase that translates to "corner of the snake"

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Grey Cat posted:

Paralleln't

Lol

Indiana
Feb 28, 2003
We named the dog Indiana!
Australian from Melbourne. I use diagonally. To converse with Americans, i use kitty corner. I am in the PNW.

surc
Aug 17, 2004

Wendigee posted:

For real? I guess I don't live in a city block so maybe the phrase is just not used here at all.

Is that the same reason they call things in Louisiana "the French quarter"? I don't really get it

The french quarter refers to the oldest part of New Orleans that the city grew/was built around. The city was founded by a french dude, but the USA bought Lousiana and like, the entire midwest from the French* in the Lousiana purchase, that's why creole and cajun food owns

*Even though it was p-much all already full of native americans and the french didn't own poo poo

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

I mean I'm aware it's French in origin I just don't get why they refer to a city in quarters.

I assumed it just meant section.

There's got to be more than 4 parts of a city that size?

Loden Taylor
Aug 11, 2003

over there (gestures)

surc
Aug 17, 2004

oh yeah that makes more sense than just assuming the whole term comes from that, but also there's a french word that specifically means district that's 'quartier' so I think it's probably from that

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

"Opposite"

You Are A Elf posted:

Yeah.

But my city is gridded out in the cardinal directions pointing north, so I tend to say “on the southwest corner of” or “on the northeastern corner” more than “diagonally from.” If you’re from here, you would also know that most east-west streets are Streets and north-south streets are Avenues which make giving directions easy.

Yeah this too. It's the only real benefit of mundane american gridcities but it is really handy for directions and stuff.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Wendigee posted:

I mean I'm aware it's French in origin I just don't get why they refer to a city in quarters.

I assumed it just meant section.

There's got to be more than 4 parts of a city that size?

there are various contexts in which the term "quarter" has come to roughly mean "section" or "place" not strictly a 4th of something. like when soldiers have quarters, etc.

calling parts of cities "quarters" is not just in french but italian also, im guessing it goes back to rome

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Sep 3, 2023

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Earwicker posted:

there are various contexts in which the term "quarter" has come to roughly mean "section" or "place" not strictly a 4th of something. like when soldiers have quarters, etc.

calling parts of cities "quarters" is not just in french but italian also, im guessing it goes back to rome

Fair enough.. I mean I'm used to hearing quarter refer to an area regardless of size or actual location because of war movies... But does courtier actually mean cattywumpus? Seems like it means the little dick that snuck around a court and made deals with the nobles

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

If cattywumpus is real why have I never heard of it in movies, tv, music, or books??