Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
Early Access released August 2023
Purchase a Founders package for early access

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oj2skkYKMUw&t=50shttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDrKSanUzfo
Play Wayfinder
Airship Syndicate Discord
User Feature/Suggestion Voting
Wayfinder Guides and Database
Wayfinder Wiki
Wayfinder Reddit

Free to Play
Action MMORPG
Solo or Squads
Role-lite
Dungeons and Open World
Matchmaking, Player Housing

Wayfinder has pieces of:
WoW mythic affixes
Dark Souls dodging
Warframe modding
Gear matters. Skill matters.
Content can be played entirely solo but it's best with a squad.

The Warmasters

Wingrave: Healing tank
Senja: Damage tank

The Arcanists

Kyros: Ranged AoE
Niss: Dodge damager

The Survivalists

Venomess: DoT healer
Silo: AoE CC

Swords and shields: Primary: Sword combo (+health damage) Alt: Shield combo (+guard damage). Can block and block counter.
Twohanders: Primary: Light attack Alt: Heavy attack. Can block and shoulder charge (+guard damage). More damage than swords but worse at blocking.
Daggers: Primary: 2 hit combo Alt: Flourish. Builds damage over time, flourish can damage and grant i-frames. Can parry for even more i-frames and damage.
Ranged: Rifles, Shotguns, Snipers, no defensive ability because they are ranged. Hit random targets on enemies for bonus damage and an active reload system.
More details on weapons

The world of Evenor was attacked by a mysterious force called the Gloom. Warriors fell in battle only to be recalled from the abyss as echoes of themselves. These Wayfinders can now travel the Gloom and seek a way to stop it before the world is consumed.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dRkveRxb_U8

Warning: Completing the tutorial asks if you want to change your wayfinder. You will have to replay the tutorial if you do. The initial wayfinder choices are all good. Silo and Venomess are solid because melee is brutal. Wingrave is the safest melee choice of the three melee wayfinders. Standard, non special weapons can be bought for currency and used immediately without crafting materials. Try them out. Be warned that you will die in melee. Often. Quests are fine for getting established. There is no leveling meta currently. You can fast travel to a checkpoint at anytime out of combat. Don’t worry about imbuements unless for a quest. Do any other side quests and priority quests until around level 20 or Reaver Woods. Warning: Old Kite and The Curator quests are long chains and repeatable. Don’t get bogged down until you have an alt.

Dungeons and characters have a rating. The rating value is dynamic and changes with your currently equipped items. It isn’t a hard rule. You can take on dungeons above your rating with skill. The number is a good guess at how hard it should feel.

Wayfinders and weapons get levels and unlock affinities. Skills and weapon masteries are safe to upgrade. Weapon affinities are safe to invest in because they use farmable resources. Focus on upgrading one weapon at a time. Wayfinder affinities require an affinity point and cap at level 30. Once allocated, the affinity point is permanent. The devs are working on a respec system. At worst, the affinity is sub-optimal. Here’s an estimate of what you should look for:
Warmasters (Wingrave and Senja): Weapon damage, resilience, health
Arcanists (Kyros and Niss): AP, anything other than defense
Survivalists (Silo and Venomess): Weapon damage, AP

Install echoes but don’t fuse them early on. Don’t waste resources on the buff potions. Gloomstone shards are the primary resource for upgrading your character. They are plentiful. Gold is plentiful too but it tends to be spent quickly. Any other resource can be farmed. Don’t sell accessories for gold until you know what you are doing. Around level 15-20ish, your character will plateau stat and rating wise. Then, start optimizing echoes and accessories. Gloomstones are used to upgrade affinities. Use the echo matrix to make gloomstones from gloomstone shards. The early game ends at Reaver Woods. You will be free to farm or progress the rest of the main storyline.

Lost zones (dungeons) are unlocked by quests, usually in the open world. Once available, any zone can be selected at the Gloom Gate in Skylight. Dungeons are either expeditions (regular runs) or hunts (boss runs). You can solo any zone. There are only two required fights per expedition. A player can run past everything and leave without their teammates if they want. Later, you can queue as a helper and get placed into an open squad of any zone, even zones you haven’t unlocked. Your character stats are scaled based on the dungeon. Helpers earn the same rewards plus a token, redeemable for shards and keys.

Death: Players either revive each other in combat or respawn at a checkpoint. Players can revive each other indefinitely. Respawning is handled differently depending on the type of dungeon. Expeditions allow respawning at checkpoints and enemies won’t heal in most cases. Players can revive each other in hunts but can’t respawn until the squad wipes. Bosses reset after a wipe.

There’s a progress bar at the top of the screen with three chests. These are bonus rewards called Arclight. Advance the bar by killing enemies and doing events. Having players respawn will progressively lock bonus chests for that run. Revive people as much as possible. Just about anything not combat is considered an event. Even the dumbest “insert a key" interaction gives experience.

Wayfinders are crafted from Omen. Double click the wayfinder icon to see the parts and hover to see the resources required. Weapons come from Arsenal in Market Row. Standard weapons cost gold. Legendary weapons are crafted and have 20% better stats than the standard variants. Similar types of weapons are functionally the same, only with different special abilities. Crafted items take resources or special items. Most high quantity, common resources come from using imbuements to spawn them in lost zones. Dungeon difficulty increases the amount of common resources rewarded. Low quantity, rare resources come from hunts and zone events.

Of course, you can buy wayfinders and weapons with premium currency from the shop.
Note: Some of Venomess’s resources are found in the reward tower this season!

Imbuements are items found in lost zones or crafted at the echo matrix. They can be added and combined to make modifiers to the zone’s mechanics. Currently, there is no reason to use them except for quests and changing the resources found in breakable rocks and chests.

Modifiers can be combined

Wayfinders and gear have slots to equip echoes. Echoes upgrade two stats or one stat greatly. Echoes have a cost based on the power granted. The total value of installed echoes can’t exceed the item’s capacity. Echoes are dropped by enemies and each individual echo can have different rarities. The rarity determines the level. The higher the level, the more times an echo’s listed stats can be increased via fusing.

Fusion is adding echo dust and echo fragments to a base echo. Each fusion adds experience to the base echo and with enough experience, the base echo’s stats increase. The echo’s rarity determines how many levels or stat increases it can receive. Example: A common echo might be leveled three times and improve its stats portionally. A rare echo might be capable of ten levels. However, capacity cost increases with stats.

Echoes and items’ echo slots have a type. Matching an echo’s type to the slot’s type halves the echo’s capacity cost. There are special echoes called rush types. They drop from bosses. These modify core abilities, like dodging, ground slams, taking damage, etc. When fused, rush types do not get increased stats like regular echoes. Their capacity cost decreases.

Wayfinders can equip a weapon and three accessories. Weapons use the wayfinder’s weapon power, crit rating, and crit power stats. Accessories have listed stats that modify the character. Accessories come in sets with bonuses for equipping 2 and 3 items. Wayfinders and weapons get more capacity and slots as they level. Rarity determines the number of slots in accessories. The level determines the capacity. You may see many versions of the same accessory. Some accessories can be crafted by a vendor, which is useful for completing sets.

Players have the following stats:
Max health
Resilience: reduced guard damage received
Physical resistance: reduce weapon (regular attacks) from enemies
Magic resistance: reduce ability (special attacks) from enemies
Weapon power
Ability Power: increases ability numbers, not just damage but heals, etc
Crit rate: frequency of crits
Crit power: amount of extra damage from crits
Break power: increases damage to enemies’ guard

Guard is a unique mechanic to wayfinder. When players or enemies take damage, their guard value is lowered. At 0 (“guard break”), any damage will briefly stagger the character and potentially chain stun them. Guard affects players, enemies, and even bosses. Guard breaking is like a soft version of interrupt. Bosses have an “unstoppable” mechanic which allows them to proceed and perform scripted actions after a sustained guard break.

Characters heal over time when out of combat, slow at first then faster.
This interacts with poison and fire somehow to keep you alive (sometimes)
You cannot access your character screen at all in lost zones
Press F1 (PC) to see buffs
Under your health bar: Buffs are on the left, debuffs on the right. Rush echo abilities show up when off cooldown
Quests can be selected and most importantly de-selected in the quest screen to reduce clutter
Niss/Wingrave/Silo materials come from earlier lost zones than Senja/Kyros/Venomess
Crafting more of an owned buff potion increase its charges
Weapon scroll drops do not have a purpose currently
Heroic Kyros and future heroic wayfinders have slightly better stats
Physical and magical reduction stats don’t appear to have an effect on poison or fire damage. Could be so minor, it's unnoticed
No need to kill all the flora’s mushrooms unless there’s an arena. Jump over it silly!
It takes around 30+ gold piles with Greed mutators to see a substantial benefit or damage increase

temple fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Feb 20, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

How does this play with strictly a controller?

temple
Jul 29, 2006

MarcusSA posted:

From what I've heard, its plays fine with controller. Its supposedly designed for the PS5. The shooting is basic and has a zoom. The melee is probably better on a controller to be honest.

Pandaal
Mar 7, 2020

MarcusSA posted:

70% of the I’m playing this game is because it’s designed for console so controller support is 100%.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

You may want to make a note in the OP that this is $20 in early access with a plan to have a free to play release (just looked it up because OP says it features free to play but it doesn't yet).

temple
Jul 29, 2006

drat Dirty Ape posted:

You may want to make a note in the OP that this is $20 in early access with a plan to have a free to play release (just looked it up because OP says it features free to play but it doesn't yet).
I made a note. Purchasing a founders package gets early access.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Pandaal posted:

70% of the I’m playing this game is because it’s designed for console so controller support is 100%.

Thanks! I’d primarily play this on my portable.

Chance
Apr 28, 2002

This game looks beautiful and the base combat is enjoyable. But dang I hope they have a lot more actual content playspace for f2p launch.

Highlands zone is like one single nice WoW zone, and that's the whole explorable space of the game. And while it's nice there isn't crafting time, all rare material gathering being based on random possible events spawning in dungeons is quite brutal.

I'll probably play casually another week or two and then wait for many patches.

Edit: I play almost entirely with an Xbox controller on PC and it's great. Except a couple input bugs/omissions like if you go to world map (y) while moving cursor it will keep moving in the new map view even without input.

Also you can't preview reward tower items or zoom out camera on controller.

Chance fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Sep 3, 2023

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

I hope they get weird with the story since they're working with the Warframe guys.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

:vince:

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
It's action combat with full controller support on PC so I will definitely keep following it. Does not seem to be worth paying for at the moment however.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Azubah posted:

I hope they get weird with the story since they're working with the Warframe guys.

I hope they don't force me to play as Shinji like Warframe does

temple
Jul 29, 2006

This is an update to be slowly phased in
Wayfinder - Inventory + Server Update - 6 September 2023

quote:

Phase 1 - Player inventories will be limited to 100 accessories and 300 echoes.

Players can sell their accessories at Venge

Players can break down echoes into “Echo Dust”. That dust is then infuse into your echoes. (The dust system is currently 1:1 meaning an echo right now that infused gives you 150xp, you’ll get 150 dust)

Phase 2 - You will only be able to access your inventory and swap weapons and characters at a Signal Fire or Skylight.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Good news. I've stopped messing around with my echos cause changing them out takes like ten minutes.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I’m gonna guess that spending $50 on this is probably a bad idea?

Pandaal
Mar 7, 2020

MarcusSA posted:

You can spend $20 and if you like the game (+ gain a better understanding of what you’re getting in the $50 package) you can upgrade to the $50 one by just paying the difference. As “early access pricing” goes it’s about the least predatory way to go about it.

everwake
Aug 9, 2021

Discord: everwake#0311
Steam: Everwake
Xbox: everwake#3338
PlayStation: everwakePS
Nintendo: SW-0815-2733-9404
Mastodon: https://gamepad.club/@everwake

MarcusSA posted:

You can just spend $20 on the base game and if you want the more expensive packs later it will be discounted what you already paid. So it'll be $30 instead of $50.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Oh ok thanks! It’s listed weird on steam so I wasn’t sure.

I’ll pay the $20 as this kinda looks like my jam.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

It’s pretty lol that the default controller configuration on the PC is for the PS5 controller.

The button prompts are totally wrong lol.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Wasn't DE working on some sort of slow paced open world thingy? Is this it or something else?

temple
Jul 29, 2006

Xun posted:

Wasn't DE working on some sort of slow paced open world thingy? Is this it or something else?

https://www.soulframe.com/en

Pryce
May 21, 2011

Xun posted:

They just put out a looooooong gameplay preview. Definitely looks like it's still Warframe under the hood but much more methodical and slower-paced.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PPPNbJ3UKc

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Slow Warframe is just DMC at this point.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

This game is unplayable. Either its people with no business in the dungeon or its people abandoning the group to find trickster first.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

pre:
Artifact	Location	Runs
AP	        The First	52
Gold	        Maras	        70
Heal	        Twins	         9
Break           Reaver King     54
                               184 Total
I'm free.

temple fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Nov 26, 2023

PrinnySquad
Sep 20, 2008

It really isn't that complicated.
I unlocked Senja and thought I'd use the helper queue to randomly pop in to places for XP.. it kept yeeting me into places I was WELL under geared for so, lesson learned I guess.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

PrinnySquad posted:

I unlocked Senja and thought I'd use the helper queue to randomly pop in to places for XP.. it kept yeeting me into places I was WELL under geared for so, lesson learned I guess.
There's no point unless you want keys

The nagging issue with the game right is gold. If gold was removed from upgrades, maybe lower the thousands of shards earned, it would be better.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe
I’ve put far too many hours into this game and I’m finding myself going back to it consistently. The content is real light, but what’s here is very interesting and has a lot of potential to turn out great if they don’t flub it with bad monetization or the like.

Gold being the limit is only really early on. Once you can run Repository, you can greed it out and get 10-15k per solo run.

I really enjoy the feel of changing out a weapon and getting an entirely new experience out of the same Wayfinder. I’ve been focusing pretty hard on Venomess in the current “endgame”, although I’ve unlocked every Wayfinder and weapon, gotten Wingrave to 30, and maxed 6 or 7 of the weapons so far. I’m chasing down rare accessories and echoes, and hunting for blue and purple versions of echoes.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

koreban posted:

I’ve put far too many hours into this game and I’m finding myself going back to it consistently. The content is real light, but what’s here is very interesting and has a lot of potential to turn out great if they don’t flub it with bad monetization or the like.

Gold being the limit is only really early on. Once you can run Repository, you can greed it out and get 10-15k per solo run.

I really enjoy the feel of changing out a weapon and getting an entirely new experience out of the same Wayfinder. I’ve been focusing pretty hard on Venomess in the current “endgame”, although I’ve unlocked every Wayfinder and weapon, gotten Wingrave to 30, and maxed 6 or 7 of the weapons so far. I’m chasing down rare accessories and echoes, and hunting for blue and purple versions of echoes.

Its something can't be explained or demonstrated just how fun and different each weapon plays. I started with silo, switched to niss, then went back to silo, now playing windgrave. They all play different but punchy. Each weapon in handles situations differently while using the same mechanics.

I can see repository having a lot of gold but I never thought it was that much.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe
Repository tends to be longer than codex or undercroft. It has those side rooms with chests, several events (equilibrium, third keeper, tracers, facsimile, etc.). If you get all of the chests and scoop the piles on S4, it adds up. Maras’ artifact gives 5% more gold as well.

PrinnySquad
Sep 20, 2008

Drop rate for Wayfinder bits seems painfully low, been trying to complete Venomess for a while (albeit playing pretty casually) and I'm 2/9 for her poo poo. Also while the server has gotten a LOT better, still seeing all sorts of issues. Between stutters, rubber banding, but then also just things breaking entirely.

Server freaked out during the dodge walls bit of The First fight while I was trying to pick someone up, I die, the dude I was trying to pick up gets perma frozen in an invincible get up state, and the other dude was long dead.
https://i.imgur.com/sfWU4Ym.mp4

Farming Devourer Claws, keep getting matched with the same guy, going fine, then one run he just explodes. Maybe the dude turned on cheat engine randomly for one run or just got a miracle crit, but given all our other runs together were far more "typical", my current theory is server shenanigans.
https://i.imgur.com/kPUlBps.mp4

And just absolutely everything around the Dread Legion fight, twice I've had to abandon it because it became unwinnable due to the orb dudes not dealing enough break damage and he doesn't spawn extra so he just floated up top, invincible and forever spamming ground AoEs. Let alone the questionable fight design of platform to the next area, but don't go too fast or you outrun the boss and take a ton of damage, but also if you spawn in while the fight is in progress you're just eating a ton of damage as you try to run to wherever he's at currently.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

PrinnySquad posted:

Farming Devourer Claws, keep getting matched with the same guy, going fine, then one run he just explodes. Maybe the dude turned on cheat engine randomly for one run or just got a miracle crit, but given all our other runs together were far more "typical", my current theory is server shenanigans.

It's a known bug. If you push him out of the arena, he just dies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5p8Ub8R1Qvk

They tried to patch it by putting a wall over the balcony, but you can still pull it off by making him jump backward into the kill zone. Just go in with daggers and parry him with his back to the balcony and he'll die pretty quick.

PrinnySquad
Sep 20, 2008

Skippy McPants posted:

It's a known bug. If you push him out of the arena, he just dies.

They tried to patch it by putting a wall over the balcony, but you can still pull it off by making him jump backward into the kill zone. Just go in with daggers and parry him with his back to the balcony and he'll die pretty quick.

That's an even funnier answer than I could've hoped for.

In semi related news, down to just needing archaic bones and floral shards for Venomess now. Still wishing I could sell all these extra Senja summoning bits I don't need

PrinnySquad fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Sep 11, 2023

Doctor Yiff
Jan 2, 2008

more games should let you ring out the boss tbh

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Game is pretty good on the steam deck.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

PrinnySquad posted:

That's an even funnier answer than I could've hoped for.

In semi related news, down to just needing archaic bones and floral shards for Venomess now. Still wishing I could sell all these extra Senja summoning bits I don't need

You will eventually be able to ascend characters by re-summoning them for small bonuses.

Game is fun, I put in like 100 hours capping Venomess (because I am the Play every bad MMO goon). Will probably play more once they boost XP to get the initial roster up.

Overall the dev feels very "actually early access" with them making some mis-steps but they are trying, giving people a bunch of free stuff for the server fuckups was nice. Hopefully they can keep adding content/stuff to do. Maybe make chasing specific things easier.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

PrinnySquad posted:

Drop rate for Wayfinder bits seems painfully low, been trying to complete Venomess for a while (albeit playing pretty casually) and I'm 2/9 for her poo poo. Also while the server has gotten a LOT better, still seeing all sorts of issues. Between stutters, rubber banding, but then also just things breaking entirely.

Server freaked out during the dodge walls bit of The First fight while I was trying to pick someone up, I die, the dude I was trying to pick up gets perma frozen in an invincible get up state, and the other dude was long dead.
https://i.imgur.com/sfWU4Ym.mp4

https://i.imgur.com/kPUlBps.mp4

And just absolutely everything around the Dread Legion fight, twice I've had to abandon it because it became unwinnable due to the orb dudes not dealing enough break damage and he doesn't spawn extra so he just floated up top, invincible and forever spamming ground AoEs. Let alone the questionable fight design of platform to the next area, but don't go too fast or you outrun the boss and take a ton of damage, but also if you spawn in while the fight is in progress you're just eating a ton of damage as you try to run to wherever he's at currently.

this looks so bad lol, like one of those weird early 3d ipad games. I feel like I must be really missing something here because this is straight up the ugliest MMO I've seen in decades, it's like they bought all of the assets from a knockoff unity store where everything is made by an AI trained exclusively on the most annoying neon things in MOBAs and I thought it'd look better in motion but there's just a person kneeling on a dance floor while a monster kind of floats around dropping AOEs that also look like an unedited default effect

PrinnySquad
Sep 20, 2008

Honestly I mostly find the art really nice, a shame there's no turn off UI button [afaik]. Stylized and clean, but also in the vein of EA blues there's only 1 open world zone to really get the most out of it.

Randomized co-op PvE action RPG is a fun formula in general, but also on the note of EA blues, there's been a fair amount of poo poo that's been broken in my 40 some hours of game time.

https://i.imgur.com/G4348ar.mp4

PrinnySquad fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Sep 14, 2023

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I like the art as well. :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chance
Apr 28, 2002

Uh yeah this game has a lot of spaces that need giant improvement. Art is not one of them. The game is beautiful and looks like top tier wow or riot art.