Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PrinnySquad
Sep 20, 2008

It really isn't that complicated.

MarcusSA posted:

Game is pretty good on the steam deck.

Did you have to do any special setup to get it running? The one time I tried it just locked up on the login screen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

PrinnySquad posted:

Did you have to do any special setup to get it running? The one time I tried it just locked up on the login screen.

Actually no.

I’m using pretty much everything at medium but shadows turned down a notch.

Gets a pretty stable 40 overall and looks and plays good. I don’t think a 60 fps is possible unless you really drop the settings.

For some reason the npc interaction screens drop down to 20fps (it’s not really noticeable) and once you close that it slowly creeps back up to a locked 40. It’s a little weird but not game breaking.

I am using a resolution scale of 90 and I also turned vegetation down to low but overall it’s a very stable 40.

MarcusSA fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Sep 15, 2023

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Now we are all sons of bitches.
Hell Gem
I've been playing the hell out of this game the last couple of weeks and having a lot of fun. I've got a question for anyone who purchased a pack with a premium tower upgrade though. I've got far enough along the season unlocks that I should be able to summon Venomess this weekend, but I'm thinking I'll likely bump up to a Founder Pack with a premium pass that gives the instant unlock at some point before the season is up. My understanding is that we'll be able to upgrade characters through awakening using extra/duplicate unlock parts from the tower at some point. So I'm trying to figure out, does the premium unlock give the four parts over again if you've already unlocked her by way of the tower? If not then I'm guessing I should wait until I buy the higher tier pack before unlocking her to ensure the awakening parts are available when that finally becomes an option. Anyone got her before purchasing the upgrade?

I started off with Niss since I played a ton of Hades and figured a hit-and-run style character might tweak the same circuits in my brain. Turns out that muscle memory definitely did help right out the gate, but I had to unlearn some bad habits soon after since the stamina and dash cooldowns mean you can't spam them nearly as much. The combo system with the daggers was also an adjustment, but there's a lot more depth to it than it seems like on the surface. Very happy with it so far. Plus it's just so goddamned lovely to look at.

EDIT - VVV Thanks for that. Looks like I'll be holding off then.

NObodyNOWHERE fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Sep 16, 2023

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet

NObodyNOWHERE posted:

I've been playing the hell out of this game the last couple of weeks and having a lot of fun. I've got a question for anyone who purchased a pack with a premium tower upgrade though. I've got far enough along the season unlocks that I should be able to summon Venomess this weekend, but I'm thinking I'll likely bump up to a Founder Pack with a premium pass that gives the instant unlock at some point before the season is up. My understanding is that we'll be able to upgrade characters through awakening using extra/duplicate unlock parts from the tower at some point. So I'm trying to figure out, does the premium unlock give the four parts over again if you've already unlocked her by way of the tower? If not then I'm guessing I should wait until I buy the higher tier pack before unlocking her to ensure the awakening parts are available when that finally becomes an option. Anyone got her before purchasing the upgrade?

I started off with Niss since I played a ton of Hades and figured a hit-and-run style character might tweak the same circuits in my brain. Turns out that muscle memory definitely did help right out the gate, but I had to unlearn some bad habits soon after since the stamina and dash cooldowns mean you can't spam them nearly as much. The combo system with the daggers was also an adjustment, but there's a lot more depth to it than it seems like on the surface. Very happy with it so far. Plus it's just so goddamned lovely to look at.

You don't get parts. You get either tokens or the character unlocked. I have all characters with 2 tokens to spare (1 from compensation). oh yeah, I got niss the old fashioned way.

You just get more keys with premium from my obserservation. So with the founder's pack, you can bank any parts you have for the future and buy her with a token.

temple fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Sep 16, 2023

PrinnySquad
Sep 20, 2008

Grinding Archaic Bones really fuckin sucks, so if you're getting premium, at the bare minimum getting that token out of the way would save a headache for her (but not for the others).

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
How much is this like warframe in gameplay loop and monetization? Warframe is something I keep going back to just because of it being a fun veg out game balanced around the players eventually breaking everything over their knee.
It looks like it both really could easily scratch the same itch, but seeing they've got season passes already live before launch makes me wary.
Also is it crossplay at all?

Chance
Apr 28, 2002

It is not like Warframe at all except some surface system types. You mod weapons and characters with echos. You have set characters instead of making your own. And the majority of the game is re running procedural dungeon content to get crafting materials and blueprint drops.

But there is no player trading and the grind to get materials is long.

Procedural dungeons don't have nearly enough tiles and rare material drops are locked behind rare tiles or random event spawns so it feels very bad compared to Warframe.

In Warframe you run jackal ten times you have ten rhino blueprint parts. You might miss the one you need but it's consistent to get a drop.

In Wayfinder you might run codex halls ten times and never see the one event that can drop a halycon orb crafting material. And when you do see it you get 1.

Oh and you need 3x of any Wayfinder character blueprint part (still also three part types and a main bp so ten individual drops), not the 1 per part you would in Warframe. And again those are rare drops from bosses. Not all three from the same boss mind you.

I really like the game, it has fun action rpg combat, but it's the roughest imitation of Warframe systems as they were in their worst forms.

Oh and the mods are like Warframe a few years back when individual mods can only be on one character or item at a time so you need to farm and level many duplicates.

Edit crossplay is only PC and PlayStation. Game not out on Xbox yet

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
Yeah, I guess I'll just wait to see what state it's in when it formally launches or see if anything fun gets posted here.
Warframe is a real success story for live service games/slow development, but there's been plenty of other games that never really build beyond a passable skeleton with potential. Hell we've even seen a few that sell esrly access and season passes, then shutter months after official launch -if they even get there.

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

Slow Warframe?? Sign me up

Looks like a cool game but drat is it grindy as gently caress and I am 20$ poorer

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

So like... unlocking a single weapon or wayfarer is somewhat locked behind 100s of hours of grind

Does this mean I need to upgrade the initial weapon set (vanguard)?

PrinnySquad
Sep 20, 2008

Mr. Pickles posted:

So like... unlocking a single weapon or wayfarer is somewhat locked behind 100s of hours of grind

Level up your starting weapon and keep progressing the story. Once you have levels and a decent starter weapon, grinding out other things becomes way less of an ordeal. You can buy the basic versions of other weapon types to try them out, but I would not say investing in them beyond an initial try out period is worth your time/money. Also, just by advancing the story, quests etc., you'll generally end up on your way to building out a few weapons without too much extra grind (if you're lucky.)

For context, I've played a chunk, but haven't gone whole hog or anything

I have a few crafted weapons

But have a bunch more I could finish off without too much trouble

Probably spent 5x as long unlocking Venomess as I did any single weapon.

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

PrinnySquad posted:

Level up your starting weapon and keep progressing the story.

I can do that, TY !

temple
Jul 29, 2006

Mr. Pickles posted:

Its not that long. It looks daunting.
You need:
1 special item for the main "blueprint" that comes from mostly anywhere.
1 (3 total) specific drops for each part, usually from bosses.
12 special resources, from events or bosses.
Then a bunch of random high tier resources most people will already have or get in a 2-3 runs

Boss drops are a "blueprint" type part and a special resource (among other things). Usually, its farming one, maybe two bosses, and gathering resources.

Like Titan's Bane "shell":

Pristine Unstable Spectra (high tier dungeons with Chaos modifier)
Trickster's Coin (event)
Pyre's Torch (boss)
Calcified Spectra (high tier resource)
Gold

The "form" part is the same but swap Trickster for Phoenix events
The "spirit" part swaps Pyre's Torch for Dread Legion drops

temple fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Sep 22, 2023

temple
Jul 29, 2006

Next wayfinder no ETA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bW0cG_gGqxg

Next patch, sometime next week

quote:

The Echo Fusion system has been overhauled. Players can now break down their Echoes into Dust. Using the Echo Dust, players can increase the Rank of their Echoes.

Increased XP gained from Boss Hunts by 3x. Increased XP gained from mini bosses in Expeditions by 1.5x

Inventory Limits: Echoes (300) and Accessories (100). Added warnings for when players are approaching either item limit. When you have reached the limit, you cannot pick up anything else until you are back under the limit. On first load of the SELL screen, equipped accessories will display on the ALL panel and can be sold without warning the player. They do not appear on the ACCESSORY panel.

Bug Fixes:
Accessories are now able to be sold at Venge’s Shop in Skylight. All acquired Accessories will be sold at their intended cost per Accessory level.
Fixed Tooth & Claw, and Epitaph displaying rifle or shotgun skins.
Kyros: Fixed an issue causing Kyros' “Siphon Radiant” Ability buff to exceed its intended value of 10%.
Venomess: Fixed an issue causing Venomess’ Soothing Vapors Affinity Perk to not function. Soothing Vapors now correctly displays visual feedback that you are healing. Fixed an issue causing Venomess' Ultimate to fire off in the wrong direction. Fixed an issue causing masteries to be locked on Venomess. Reward Tower reward emote “Kiss of Venom” will appear in the players' inventory if/when unlocked. The player will see this in their inventory when Venomess is equipped as the playable Wayfinder.

temple fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Sep 22, 2023

temple
Jul 29, 2006

Patch is live

temple fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Sep 23, 2023

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Ahh nostalgia, you cruel bitch

Mr. Pickles posted:

You can farm some weapons rather early and quickly. I just started, farmed up a Tempest shotgun on my Wingrave at level 10, and it was so ungodly strong it carried me through the rest of the game all the way to 30/sphere 4 oneshotting everything but bosses.

PrinnySquad
Sep 20, 2008

quote:

WARNING: On first load of the SELL screen, equipped accessories display on the ALL panel and can be sold without warning the player. They do not appear on the ACCESSORY panel.

That sure is a thing they pushed to live.

PrinnySquad
Sep 20, 2008

24 Remnant Nexuses
8 Silo medallions

Not a single god damned Tempest Essence.

The design of the grind where you're hoping for the super rare single piece, instead of constantly building a pile of less rare bits really makes things feel far more tedious, even if the hypothetical end result took the same amount of runs to complete. Completely obliterated my corporeal form.

PrinnySquad fucked around with this message at 11:27 on Sep 25, 2023

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

I decided sword&board loving sucks and purchased a Typhoon axe to grind Executioner with until I unlock my lava sword

Aint too bad at all. That L1+R1 slam dunk is certainly more enjoyable than the sword&board buff, mainly because you get to spam it, whereas the sword and board move is just always on CD

PrinnySquad
Sep 20, 2008

Mr. Pickles posted:

I decided sword&board loving sucks and purchased a Typhoon axe to grind Executioner with until I unlock my lava sword

Aint too bad at all. That L1+R1 slam dunk is certainly more enjoyable than the sword&board buff, mainly because you get to spam it, whereas the sword and board move is just always on CD

This echo works very nicely for crowd clearing with greatswords. Pretty sure I got it in one of my 50 runs at the boss in Codex Halls trying to finish Tempest.

PrinnySquad fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Sep 26, 2023

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
I would hope/imagine the ridiculous grind is going to be somewhat lessened once the game goes live/there's more content.
But yeah I hope their tower model of season pass takes off, since the big thing that always turns me off to games with season passes is how often they're balanced around playing a game like a part time job or tossing an extra 20-30 bucks at it every 30-90 days in addition to whatever other way they'll leech cash out of players.

That sort of FOMO has the opposite effect on me, where I'll do the math and realize I'll never finish it/get the stuff I want so I just stop playing period.

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

I am playing like 1-2 dungeons a day, game can't hold my interest for much longer. Its not a bad game, aesthetics are good and combat is good but progress is bland to say the least

Its certainly a huge leap forward from Warframe though, that is for sure.

Pandaal
Mar 7, 2020

Mr. Pickles posted:

I am playing like 1-2 dungeons a day, game can't hold my interest for much longer. Its not a bad game, aesthetics are good and combat is good but progress is bland to say the least

Its certainly a huge leap forward from Warframe though, that is for sure.

Honesty what kills it for me is the load times. I like everything about it and am not opposed at all to fighting the same boss 30 times for a crafting mat. What I am opposed to is 10 minutes of menus and load screens between every encounter.

Chance
Apr 28, 2002

I don't get what the load times even represent. I have the game on a really fast nvme drive and it still feels slower than loading into open world in warframe on my switch.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Chance posted:

I don't get what the load times even represent. I have the game on a really fast nvme drive and it still feels slower than loading into open world in warframe on my switch.

Probably server communications and figuring out what instance to drop you into.

I wound up trying the founder pack since I've wasted 20 bucks on worse and the game definitely has a decent skeleton, but I really think the grind is currently there to stretch out the relative lack of content. They've already reduced it a bit since EA started and have other roadmap stuff about reducing the worst parts of it.

Though I hope they wind up making stamina less of an issue for melee characters. Especially on sword and board it sucks that you have to both burn it blocking and on mobility.
The equipment and echo UI is really really bad too.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

Anyone trying to 2 man Pyre is an idiot.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

The videos are terrible, I know.

Melee
Swords and shields

S&S are my favorites. Blocking doesn't cost stamina until it absorbs damage. Walk into crowds without fear. Shields get a generous block:stamina conversion. Only the strongest attacks can one shot through them. Radiant Dawn's weapon skill can block nearly anything without failing. Block countering with alt attack is fairly easy, maybe because the alt can be held. Countering with primary attack requires perfect timing. Alt attack breaks guard. Video on the complexities here. Sadly, S&S has low damage.
Block counter
https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_s1unwiMAIN1xr43zx.mp4
Twohanders

Strong but slow. Weaving is cool, just switch the between primary or alt before the finisher. To learn finishers, use Commander Creed's echo. Twohanders can block but the stamina conversion is poor. Enemy combos will leak through and large hits will hurt. Using block on mild attacks like phoenix's aoe works though. They don't block counter but block+attack does a shoulder tackle that breaks guard at the cost of stamina. Not worth it. The big difference with twohanders is the weapon skill can be spammed. Momentum builds faster than any other skill builder. Epitaph and its ap buff is tailor made for Kyros. These can demolish groups of weaker enemies. Good weapons if you know when to dodge vs block.
Shoulder charge
https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_s1unt3Rl2T1xr43zx.mp4
Daggers

Surprisingly powerful weapons. Four consecutive hits give a flourish pip. Empowered flourishes damage while granting invulnerability. Parrying is forgiving, parry early. It will "catch" the attack as long as its active. Sometimes, it will still grant invulnerability if late. Keep in mind when either playing Niss or using flourish that a parry follow up doesn't give any i-frames, unlike the other abilities.
https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_s1uny5xkjt1xr43zx.mp4
All melee weapons have a combo counter that increases damage. S&S and twohanders build up to 2x while daggers go to 3x.

Ranged
Rifles

Rifles are the safest weapons. One button can control it. Hold primary to continuously shoot, tap to reload, tap to hit the reload sweet spot, and hold primary again to keep shooting. Pretty cool. Sometimes, a hotspot appears based on the yellow bar by the crosshair. If the bar fills, it gets a weapon charge even if you don't hit the hotspot. I don't really care for ranged in this game but some do. There is a good variety of rifle types.
One button
https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_s1uo6b4QUF1xr43zx.mp4
Each weapon has stat differences and handles a bit different. Titan's bane is the best twohander. That's all I know.

temple fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Oct 1, 2023

PrinnySquad
Sep 20, 2008

I hear as far as guns go, Tempest the shotgun is stupid good. But after spending far too long to unlock it, I've realized I don't really care for how guns feel in this game so I've barely used it.

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Hell Gem
Tempest was the first thing I unlocked through grinding and it was almost totally by accident, so I'm surprised that anyone had to work for it much. Drops are so luck dependent that I realize this may be completely atypical. All the components are definitely available early though. I find daggers the most fun so far, but Tempest is so strong once it's fully leveled that it's hard to go back. This has been especially the case now that I've started unlocking other characters. It's just so much easier to get early leveling done when you have a big fuckoff gun that can carry you through higher level bosses and dungeons that you shouldn't be able to get away with during the extra-squishy phase. It's a fun weapon. You get into a nice rhythm of shoot-move-shoot-move since you've got that longish pause between shots. Arcstorm is also very strong with similar feel, but better range.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

PrinnySquad posted:

I hear as far as guns go, Tempest the shotgun is stupid good. But after spending far too long to unlock it, I've realized I don't really care for how guns feel in this game so I've barely used it.

I had the opposite experience, where I wanted to like sword and board, and I did until I started hitting roadblocks and mechanics that actively stymie melee like DPS race boss fights or bosses that ignore taunt. Melee in general is way too weak in this game once you factor in how much you have to keep moving or need to have reserve stamina to escape aoes.

PrinnySquad
Sep 20, 2008

NObodyNOWHERE posted:

Tempest was the first thing I unlocked through grinding and it was almost totally by accident, so I'm surprised that anyone had to work for it much. Drops are so luck dependent that I realize this may be completely atypical. All the components are definitely available early though. I find daggers the most fun so far, but Tempest is so strong once it's fully leveled that it's hard to go back. This has been especially the case now that I've started unlocking other characters. It's just so much easier to get early leveling done when you have a big fuckoff gun that can carry you through higher level bosses and dungeons that you shouldn't be able to get away with during the extra-squishy phase. It's a fun weapon. You get into a nice rhythm of shoot-move-shoot-move since you've got that longish pause between shots. Arcstorm is also very strong with similar feel, but better range.

About 50 runs to get the essence, everything else was a breeze.

Coolness Averted posted:

I had the opposite experience, where I wanted to like sword and board, and I did until I started hitting roadblocks and mechanics that actively stymie melee like DPS race boss fights or bosses that ignore taunt. Melee in general is way too weak in this game once you factor in how much you have to keep moving or need to have reserve stamina to escape aoes.

I predominantly use daggers and iframe through anything threatening. Cleared through all currently available content without much fuss beyond weapon agnostic boss jank.

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Hell Gem

PrinnySquad posted:

About 50 runs to get the essence, everything else was a breeze.

God, that sucks lol. I think I have like four and I wasn't even trying for them. RNG is a motherfuck in this game.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

NObodyNOWHERE posted:

God, that sucks lol. I think I have like four and I wasn't even trying for them. RNG is a motherfuck in this game.

Yeah right now I can't see trying to farm stuff, especially since they specifically have a "reduce all the drops cruft and add ways to guarantee events like the trickster event spawn" in the roadmap.
Similarly the trickster shouldn't be locked to 1 player. Either everyone should get the reward or it sticks around until everyone wins.
Right now the game has more mechanics that discourage helping people vs fostering community. For example if I get into a dungeon and there's a bad player who immediately hits respawn every time they fall down, I'm given worse rewards for sticking around for 15 minutes helping then vs immediately noping out and starting again.

PrinnySquad
Sep 20, 2008

Archaic Bones are the absolute worst thing to try and get, random event on a particular map that you get 1 out of, and anything needs'em generally wants 15.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

PrinnySquad posted:

Archaic Bones are the absolute worst thing to try and get, random event on a particular map that you get 1 out of, and anything needs'em generally wants 15.

Yeah that's what I've heard. I still haven't finished getting a weapon or character to 30, but I can see if you manage to get there just basically shelving the game until ea season 2, poking around a bit, then shelving it until release. Otherwise you're just setting yourself up for burning out if you're gonna keep grinding to farm those rare drops.

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Hell Gem
I haven't had as much trouble with the Archaic Bones, but I haven't done the grind for Kyros or Senja yet either. At least the event for the bones comes up a lot in my experience. I've done a bunch of reps in Bloodworks and the Pit doing that repeatable Kite quest for tower XP and I feel like the drill event pops up a little over 50% of the time. So I can get a pretty steady trickle of those since I tend to run those maps without matchmaking and they give a bone every time. It's the trickster coins that have been the bigger pain for me. That event seems way more rare in my experience and you may not get a coin. I did luck out and get the trrickster apartment item though, so I've picked up a few extra coins that way and that helped mitigate some of my poo poo luck doing Codex runs. Celestial Orbs comes up way too seldom too and I still do that every chance I get because I want the home item that can give. I am an absolute dumbass sucker for the home cosmetics.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

NObodyNOWHERE posted:

I haven't had as much trouble with the Archaic Bones, but I haven't done the grind for Kyros or Senja yet either. At least the event for the bones comes up a lot in my experience. I've done a bunch of reps in Bloodworks and the Pit doing that repeatable Kite quest for tower XP and I feel like the drill event pops up a little over 50% of the time. So I can get a pretty steady trickle of those since I tend to run those maps without matchmaking and they give a bone every time. It's the trickster coins that have been the bigger pain for me. That event seems way more rare in my experience and you may not get a coin. I did luck out and get the trrickster apartment item though, so I've picked up a few extra coins that way and that helped mitigate some of my poo poo luck doing Codex runs. Celestial Orbs comes up way too seldom too and I still do that every chance I get because I want the home item that can give. I am an absolute dumbass sucker for the home cosmetics.

Solo run undercroft straight to the 4 stair room. Abandon if it is the curator. Even you get a coin, you can abandon and keep it.

I didn't need bones but passively got them doing events. I had 12 by the time a weapon needed them. Coins are the same but I did farm undercroft a few times

Orbs can be found by checking the map layout when you load into Undercroft. Video

The hardest farm is Pyre bar none. AS said they will change it but it's bad for a number of reasons.

PrinnySquad
Sep 20, 2008

Bones had maybe a 30-40% chance of popping in my experience, and out of the things that ask for 15 drops, it's the only in one my experienced restricted to a specific zone. Trickster can spawn wherever, Loot Goblins wherever, Bones are in certain zones and other events can override their potential spawns.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
Is the helper queue bugged? Or just not actually implemented? Every time I've used it, it's tossed me in an expedition or hunt that was level 20+ regardless of my level.

If it's just going to toss you into any random instance that isn't empty regardless of if you'd actually be a help I don't really think it should exist, or shouldn't unlock unless you're level 30.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PrinnySquad
Sep 20, 2008

Coolness Averted posted:

Is the helper queue bugged? Or just not actually implemented? Every time I've used it, it's tossed me in an expedition or hunt that was level 20+ regardless of my level.

If it's just going to toss you into any random instance that isn't empty regardless of if you'd actually be a help I don't really think it should exist, or shouldn't unlock unless you're level 30.

Unfortunately that's "working as intended" in its current state.