Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
October 14th (next saturday) is the protected date for the next update. Should be content. Maybe season 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

temple
Jul 29, 2006

KYROS!

(not much on shields, idk where that came from)

What it feels like

Abilities
Savage Rake
Bread and butter skill. Hits to the left or right, then switches sides. 3rd strike (from ability points) hits center. Absolutely clears packs of enemies, even better with the heal from rank 3 ability points. Sorta awkward to aim, may want to focus at target. Mostly useful on its own. Takes a while to shine but when it does, it rocks (can say this about all his abilities).
Siphon Radiant
Decent AoE in of itself. Dread Legion rush echo can make it better. Ability points makes it :eyepop:
Arcane Focus
The single target spell. Tiny hitbox, dangerous to use in some situations as it leaves Kyros wide open. Can be used with Instinct to build up ultimate meter. Arcane Focus is good for breaking guards and popping enemies in general if a team is hitting and building its damage.
Hand of Reckoning
Supremely powerful, clears waves. Later (much later) it can clear mini-bosses and elites. Instinct can help with getting multiple uses.

Stats: AP but needs little crit rating/power and defense. Kyros isn't a glass cannon unless he's built that way.
Weapon: Any. Nothing is bad nor great on him. Epitaph is good because the weapon skill will increase AP. But epitaph has its own issues with feeling sluggish.
Ability points: Savage Rake to max. Siphon Radiant to max. Read the descriptions, it makes sense.
Affinity: Focus for the 5 shards. Then maybe Instinct for the extra ultimate meter. I was screwed out of the 5 shards but a maxed Instinct gives a lot of casts of Hand of Reckoning.

This loving guy. The last wayfinder I played and the best so far. Takes a while to feel his power but around level 20, he turns all the way up. Don't neglect weapon skill, break power, or crit stats. Criticals will melt enemies due to the many casts and wide area he hits.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

Patch Oct 10th. Patch notes.

Live event: Call of the Void: Omen and Wolf need you! Strange rifts are appearing across the Highlands, and we’re calling upon your courage and curiosity to join us in unraveling its secrets. Your mission is to explore these rifts, where untold mysteries and surprises await your discovery.

New questions: The Final Score & Harbingers of Chaos: We’re introducing 2 new quests to challenge your skills. One of these quests will have you brave the fires of chaos as you confront the formidable Talon of Pyre in Harbingers of Chaos. The Final Score unlocks the fearsome Bloodbore, a weapon that has been constructed in secret within the Mines and is prepared to stop Wayfinders in their tracks!

New Boss: Bloodbore. New Weapon: Juggernaut - 2 Handed Breaker

The Trickster’s Chest event will no longer spawn. Other Trickster games (including a new one) will spawn instead in any biome.

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Now we are all sons of bitches.
Hell Gem
Hey thanks for doing these write-ups. I’m deciding who the next character I want to grind out will be, so the Kyros info is helpful.

I’ve been having a good time with the new stuff that dropped. New boss is fun and not too punishing, even though I don’t normally like forced invulnerability phases.

There’s still a bunch of work to do, so I’ll be glad if rumors they’re pushing back the full release end up being true. The game is fun enough when you’re actually playing that I’d hate to see it get undermined by sub-par UI or funky network issues at FTP start. There’s enough weird meme negativity online that they’re going to have to pretty much stick the landing at release to win over the narrative. Game continues to be very good though. The first big gripe I’ve had come up is since I started grinding Pyre. I can’t imagine what that was like when the timer was 4 hours. I’ve got four or five clears so far and only got a useful drop one time lol. Only six more items needed! It also feels super awful to finally get a spawn and then not have enough people around so you fail the damage check at the end.

Pryce
May 21, 2011
I finally have had time to put into this and it's...pretty good? I'm really concerned that it seems like no one is playing this game; matchmaking appears to be empty and I rarely see anyone in town. Hopefully that's just a "oh it's super early access and I'll come back closer to launch" and not a 'it's DOA' kind of issue.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Pryce posted:

I finally have had time to put into this and it's...pretty good? I'm really concerned that it seems like no one is playing this game; matchmaking appears to be empty and I rarely see anyone in town. Hopefully that's just a "oh it's super early access and I'll come back closer to launch" and not a 'it's DOA' kind of issue.

I’m hopeful that once it goes fully free it will see an uptick in players.

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Hell Gem
Seems like there’s usually about 800+ people playing on Steam on weeknights. That seems fine to me for where the game is at. I think the giant wave of 30K people trying to log in and blowing up the server at the beginning was unfortunate for multiple reasons and set weird expectations about what the player count should be (not by you, to be clear). The hub areas mostly stay populated and I get players in matchmaking more after than not if I’m doing something that isn’t niche. Lots of players have leveled past the early areas now, so I think those tend to get less traffic compared to the places where people grind materials or XP. Some of this could also be down to what server region you’re in too, I suppose.

If there’s one big problem I see with longevity right now, it’s actually all the constant gleeful poo poo talk and negativity in the Steam forums and other places about the game and the way that can drive potential players away. The internet loves a dogpile. The game is very fun, but you’d never know it because the discourse is drowned out by a chorus of assholes screaming “lol DeD gAmE” and “trash dev” a million times. Steam is my preferred platform for games, but I honestly wish they would have done EA on Epic where they could have gotten a little EA exclusivity payout, taken their time getting things right, and then released without the online echo chamber of the Steam forums to worry about. This meme hivemind poo poo gets real old.

Pryce
May 21, 2011

NObodyNOWHERE posted:

Lots of players have leveled past the early areas now, so I think those tend to get less traffic compared to the places where people grind materials or XP.

This is probably the issue I'm experiencing, I'm guessing. I hate when games don't have a 'full random' type queue, because this game has 27 different things to queue for technically (3x3x3 in the matchmaker, right?) so until you're in endgame you won't find people. They need to incentivize high-level players to queue with low-level or else the game feels dead early on.

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Hell Gem

Pryce posted:

This is probably the issue I'm experiencing, I'm guessing. I hate when games don't have a 'full random' type queue, because this game has 27 different things to queue for technically (3x3x3 in the matchmaker, right?) so until you're in endgame you won't find people. They need to incentivize high-level players to queue with low-level or else the game feels dead early on.

I agree with all of this, except they actually do have that in the form of the Helper queue! It just doesn’t get used much because there’s not much upside for veteran players at the moment. You get helper coins for joining that queue, but the items you can trade them in for are so common that there’s no real point. I’m sure they don’t want to screw up the economy, but I f they would add some useful stuff like trickster coins or rarer materials in there it would solve that problem instantly.

The other thing they need to do is take away the incentives to run solo. Right now if my teammates die repeatedly in a level and I carry them through, I still get reduced rewards due to their deaths. That’s not a good approach. Likewise, if I’m trying to push through high level areas to XP boost a new character, I don’t want to screw someone over by messing up their rewards dying repeatedly. In either case, it’s better to just run solo.

PrinnySquad
Sep 20, 2008

It really isn't that complicated.
The helper queue world really benefit from some degree of power matching too. Can easily get matched into a mission where you're massively under geared and just a hindrance.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

Silence birds, charging bear. I wonder what's around the corner

gently caress you

aoe archer, aggressive af dagger guy, insta-death totem guy, hp sponge aoe witch with insta health drain homing mist

temple fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Oct 18, 2023

temple
Jul 29, 2006

VENOMESS!

(who is the alchemist?)

What it feels like

Abilities
Transfusion
Good heal on demand. Never seen it do much damage.
Vampiric Blast
Now we're cooking. A grenade fueled by any venom clouds in its radius. Sucks up the cloud and clears most weaker enemies. Deals nice damage while also healing. Perfect for melee allies. Works like a mini potion if there are spare clouds and it's off cooldown.
Venom Thrusters
The ability that ties everything together. Lays down some clouds to get the whole shabang started. Pretty cool that it's a movement ability, really made me "get" her. Does decent damage to weaker enemies and primes the rest of her abilities.
Deep Breath
Just a bigger boom. Not impressive but good to use regardless. Works better with ability points. If this isn't a wow reference, I'm going to be mad.

Stats: AP mostly. Weapon power is nice too. There's a style where you go ap and crit power and use Focus 5 for crit rate. So, stack crit power since crit rate is free echo-wise
Weapon: Fast ranged weapons and daggers to build venom stacks. Anything will work because venom will finish off enemies.
Ability points: It depends, in a good way. Every ability gets more damage and more heals so it a matter of what you like.
Transfusion 3 for the bonus needles or Vamp Blast 2 for more damage or Thrusters 1 for the extra cloud or Deep Breath 3 for faster charging
Affinity: Another set of choices. A fair build is getting all three to 5 because the first upgrades are the best. Healer? Max Discipline. Damage? Max Focus for a damage build. Instinct is the most optional of the three.

Venomess is perfect. Kind of boring to talk about her because she's the most complete of the wayfinders. She lacks in defense but heals. Kyros does more burst damage but she is more consistent. Windgrave is easier and uses less resources to heal but hers are more effective. You can tell the devs played and made her efficient.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

the phrasing on venomesses business card there is kind of confusing me, "her chemicals can poison her enemies and strengthen her foes" isn't she trying to weaken her foes with the poison previously mentioned in the same sentence

temple
Jul 29, 2006

Season 2, the next big update is targeted for late Nov/early Dec

temple
Jul 29, 2006

WINGRAVE!

What it feels like: :nws:

Abilities
Righteous Strike
Weak ability but gets many uses when doing melee attacks.
Radiant Pulse
Really useful when used well. Most projectiles are nullified but with ability points, it gives solid healing. Don't expect to stop huge ranged attacks.
Judgement
Taunts are sus in this game but it can allow ranged allies to heal. Judgement isn't as needed when managing Wingrave's other abilities.
Divine Aegis
Easily the most useful ultimate. Teammates down, aegis. Everyone injured, aegis. Nasty enemy mash, aegis. End of the mission, gently caress it aegis. Be mindful of the windup.

Stats: Any combination of max health, physical resistance, break power, resilience. Maybe a little weapon power. Make him tough enough is all.
Weapon: Sword&shield and twohanders. His passive needs melee. Twohanders add a lot of damage to his usually weak output
Ability points: Radiant Pulse 3 and Divine Aegis 3 are good picks. Radiant pulse is crazy healing. Judgement isn't bad either.
Affinity: Imo Instinct and Focus to max. Instinct is extreme healing, Focus will help with surviving. Discipline seems weaker.

What's not to love? He's not flashy on paper but feels good in melee. His heals aren't huge like Venomess but more consistent. Aegis can save any situation. Radiant pulse is fun. He doesn't do much damage but you don't need it. Equip sword&shield and park his round rear end in front of everything. In a pinch, righteous strike and radiant pulse does a little aoe.

temple fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Oct 28, 2023

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Hell Gem
I need to get Wingrave leveled up. I haven't messed with him at all even though I unlocked him a while ago. I very much missed having his ultimate available every time I got to the final damage race grinding Pyre.

Venomess was the second character that I maxed out. Even though I enjoyed playing her, I felt like I was missing something. I used Tempest and Arcstorm pretty much the whole way through with her and did just fine since they hit so hard, but her abilities just never clicked for me. The healing and damage both felt pretty underwhelming and her cloud slide maneuver is slow and doesn't seem to have I-frames, which was no beuno coming from Niss. I stacked way more WP for Venomess though, so maybe I should revisit with an AP and Crit build.

Very much looking forward to S2. I hope they don't wait until then to speed up XP grinding since I'm almost out of priority missions.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

NObodyNOWHERE posted:

I need to get Wingrave leveled up. I haven't messed with him at all even though I unlocked him a while ago. I very much missed having his ultimate available every time I got to the final damage race grinding Pyre.

Venomess was the second character that I maxed out. Even though I enjoyed playing her, I felt like I was missing something. I used Tempest and Arcstorm pretty much the whole way through with her and did just fine since they hit so hard, but her abilities just never clicked for me. The healing and damage both felt pretty underwhelming and her cloud slide maneuver is slow and doesn't seem to have I-frames, which was no beuno coming from Niss. I stacked way more WP for Venomess though, so maybe I should revisit with an AP and Crit build.

Very much looking forward to S2. I hope they don't wait until then to speed up XP grinding since I'm almost out of priority missions.

I don't see them adjusting xp up until the game exists EA, there just isn't the content to support it, and they're relying on the treadmill to keep people playing. The only thing that might allievate it a bit before the official launch is the exp scrolls.

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Hell Gem
Another big content update tomorrow. Lots of bug-fixes, including a bunch of loading issues.

https://www.playwayfinder.com/en/news/wayfinder-mid-season-update-2-the-reaver-king

They're nerfing Titan's Bane into the core of the earth lol. I've nearly got everything to unlock it finally too. Perfect timing.

PrinnySquad
Sep 20, 2008

quote:

Lowered the damage and break damage output of Titan’s Bane’s Weapon Ability. (We still want this weapon to feel powerful, this change is intended to tighten the gap between Titan’s Bane and other 2 Handed options). Additionally, Molten Cleave Weapon Ability: Base Damage reduced by 50% & Break Damage reduced by 80%

An 80% cut in break damage, welp at least I didn't finish leveling it I guess. Or maybe the other 2Hers were really just that awful?

temple
Jul 29, 2006

Titan Bane was ridiculous. Juggernaut is too.

temple fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Oct 31, 2023

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Hell Gem
When designing and balancing a pve game, it seems like “give more fun things, not less” is always the winning move.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

NObodyNOWHERE posted:

When designing and balancing a pve game, it seems like “give more fun things, not less” is always the winning move.

Play Warframe. There is a limit to power creep and fun

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Hell Gem
Yeah, it’s true and I get that. But at the same time, of the myriad complaints I’ve read about Wayfinder, both fair and unfair, not one has ever been “quit playing, sword was too strong.”

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

temple posted:

Play Warframe. There is a limit to power creep and fun

I think most people who paid for early access to a game with DE's name attached would be familiar with the way warframe is balanced and feel positively about the way you can break most content with almost any weapon or character.

I haven't unlocked that weapon, but the others I have feel underwhelming, so I'd certainly err on more power creep rather than less.

Like my ideal version of the game at the moment would fully remove stamina and make most nonboss mobs as easily destroyed as a common warframe mob, you're supposed to be mythic heroes reformed from the raw energy of the universe, not children with nerf weapons and bad cardio.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

Coolness Averted posted:

I think most people who paid for early access to a game with DE's name attached would be familiar with the way warframe is balanced and feel positively about the way you can break most content with almost any weapon or character.

I haven't unlocked that weapon, but the others I have feel underwhelming, so I'd certainly err on more power creep rather than less.

Like my ideal version of the game at the moment would fully remove stamina and make most nonboss mobs as easily destroyed as a common warframe mob, you're supposed to be mythic heroes reformed from the raw energy of the universe, not children with nerf weapons and bad cardio.

Just play warframe

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Hell Gem
It’s going to take me seven rare drops from Pyre and three from Dread Legion to craft. That weapon had better loving rule to justify all that.

Just let me have my big fuckoff overpowered sword, for a treat.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

temple posted:

Just play warframe
Wayfinder absolutely has some unique stuff that I hope sticks, but you're kidding yourself if you don't think the only thing keeping the game from being pre-tossed in the 'live service psuedo-MMO that's gonna die <1 year' trash heap is DE being attached and the hope that this game can expand like Warframe.

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Ahh nostalgia, you cruel bitch
DE's name being on it is the only reason I touched it with a 10 foot pole in the first place

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

MrTheDevious posted:

DE's name being on it is the only reason I touched it with a 10 foot pole in the first place

Right, there's a bunch of stuff like Heroic Kyros that are giant red flags unless you're familiar with Warframe and view it as equivalent to Excalibur Prime. With no attachment to DE or the cache of their brand, Wayfinder is just the next SpaceLords at best.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

There's something I left off about Righteous Strike on Wingrave. It will reduce damage while swing by 25% and 50% with one ability point. Due to the delay in healing, it will block damage then heal you for most of it afterwards. RS recharges fast and lets you stay in the thick of things if timed well. I'm mostly using twohanders on him and they can't cancel once swinging. Big attacks are timeable. Sword&shield attacks can be cancelled easily.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

quote:

Patch Notes - 0.1.10.0
* Increased XP gains from all enemies by 386%

This includes mini-bosses & bosses in expeditions and hunts

* Increased XP of the expedition completion bonus by 237%
* Increased Reward Tower XP from all repeatable sources by 325%

Opening chests, breaking resource nodes, collecting memory fragments, completing events, and completing expeditions & hunts

NOTE: We’ll revisit this Reward Tower increase in the future when the job board has been released

* Added XP multipliers to each mutator slot

10% bonus for one imbuement. 20% bonus for two imbuements. 30% bonus for three imbuements.

* Fixed an bug on the expedition/hunt completion screen that was displaying the incorrect XP gained
* Fixed a bug with Wingrave's Divine Aegis upgrade at rank 2 resulting in exponential increases in damage
* Fixed Tooth and Claw VFX being misaligned when sheathed

Wow

Pandaal
Mar 7, 2020

Have to imagine they’re just finally reacting to the chorus of “I like grindy games and this is bad even for me.” The game really is good but the xp gain was just minuscule.

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Hell Gem
Good stuff. Wish they would do some retroactive adjustments with tower xp as well. I have around 200 hours of game time and I’m still at level 95 on the tower. I came on after the early queue issues too.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

Just ran hollow heart and got 3 levels on my weapon

PrinnySquad
Sep 20, 2008

NObodyNOWHERE posted:

Good stuff. Wish they would do some retroactive adjustments with tower xp as well. I have around 200 hours of game time and I’m still at level 95 on the tower. I came on after the early queue issues too.

Yeah playing for a few hours to grind something and not get a single tower key had me giving on it just about tbh.

Pryce
May 21, 2011
Well drat this feels muuuuuuch better. Tower XP needs to get fixed (or provide some form of catchup) but leveling actually feels good now.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Coolness Averted posted:

Wayfinder absolutely has some unique stuff that I hope sticks, but you're kidding yourself if you don't think the only thing keeping the game from being pre-tossed in the 'live service psuedo-MMO that's gonna die <1 year' trash heap is DE being attached and the hope that this game can expand like Warframe.

MrTheDevious posted:

https://www.pcgamer.com/warframe-de...-its-developer/

lol

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
Well, I hope Airship can still get the game to a viable product and finds some way to fund the remaining development, because it's gonna be hard delivering that roadmap off of EA purchases and cosmetics.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

I really enjoy most of the games they’ve done(Darksiders Genesis kicked absolute rear end) but I also worry about funding and/or an increase in greediness

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
Not to mention they need to be ready for primetime in <3 months. They'll both have to deliver a better product and won't get a 20 buck price of admission.