Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
How much is this like warframe in gameplay loop and monetization? Warframe is something I keep going back to just because of it being a fun veg out game balanced around the players eventually breaking everything over their knee.
It looks like it both really could easily scratch the same itch, but seeing they've got season passes already live before launch makes me wary.
Also is it crossplay at all?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
Yeah, I guess I'll just wait to see what state it's in when it formally launches or see if anything fun gets posted here.
Warframe is a real success story for live service games/slow development, but there's been plenty of other games that never really build beyond a passable skeleton with potential. Hell we've even seen a few that sell esrly access and season passes, then shutter months after official launch -if they even get there.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
I would hope/imagine the ridiculous grind is going to be somewhat lessened once the game goes live/there's more content.
But yeah I hope their tower model of season pass takes off, since the big thing that always turns me off to games with season passes is how often they're balanced around playing a game like a part time job or tossing an extra 20-30 bucks at it every 30-90 days in addition to whatever other way they'll leech cash out of players.

That sort of FOMO has the opposite effect on me, where I'll do the math and realize I'll never finish it/get the stuff I want so I just stop playing period.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Chance posted:

I don't get what the load times even represent. I have the game on a really fast nvme drive and it still feels slower than loading into open world in warframe on my switch.

Probably server communications and figuring out what instance to drop you into.

I wound up trying the founder pack since I've wasted 20 bucks on worse and the game definitely has a decent skeleton, but I really think the grind is currently there to stretch out the relative lack of content. They've already reduced it a bit since EA started and have other roadmap stuff about reducing the worst parts of it.

Though I hope they wind up making stamina less of an issue for melee characters. Especially on sword and board it sucks that you have to both burn it blocking and on mobility.
The equipment and echo UI is really really bad too.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

PrinnySquad posted:

I hear as far as guns go, Tempest the shotgun is stupid good. But after spending far too long to unlock it, I've realized I don't really care for how guns feel in this game so I've barely used it.

I had the opposite experience, where I wanted to like sword and board, and I did until I started hitting roadblocks and mechanics that actively stymie melee like DPS race boss fights or bosses that ignore taunt. Melee in general is way too weak in this game once you factor in how much you have to keep moving or need to have reserve stamina to escape aoes.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

NObodyNOWHERE posted:

God, that sucks lol. I think I have like four and I wasn't even trying for them. RNG is a motherfuck in this game.

Yeah right now I can't see trying to farm stuff, especially since they specifically have a "reduce all the drops cruft and add ways to guarantee events like the trickster event spawn" in the roadmap.
Similarly the trickster shouldn't be locked to 1 player. Either everyone should get the reward or it sticks around until everyone wins.
Right now the game has more mechanics that discourage helping people vs fostering community. For example if I get into a dungeon and there's a bad player who immediately hits respawn every time they fall down, I'm given worse rewards for sticking around for 15 minutes helping then vs immediately noping out and starting again.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

PrinnySquad posted:

Archaic Bones are the absolute worst thing to try and get, random event on a particular map that you get 1 out of, and anything needs'em generally wants 15.

Yeah that's what I've heard. I still haven't finished getting a weapon or character to 30, but I can see if you manage to get there just basically shelving the game until ea season 2, poking around a bit, then shelving it until release. Otherwise you're just setting yourself up for burning out if you're gonna keep grinding to farm those rare drops.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
Is the helper queue bugged? Or just not actually implemented? Every time I've used it, it's tossed me in an expedition or hunt that was level 20+ regardless of my level.

If it's just going to toss you into any random instance that isn't empty regardless of if you'd actually be a help I don't really think it should exist, or shouldn't unlock unless you're level 30.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

NObodyNOWHERE posted:

I need to get Wingrave leveled up. I haven't messed with him at all even though I unlocked him a while ago. I very much missed having his ultimate available every time I got to the final damage race grinding Pyre.

Venomess was the second character that I maxed out. Even though I enjoyed playing her, I felt like I was missing something. I used Tempest and Arcstorm pretty much the whole way through with her and did just fine since they hit so hard, but her abilities just never clicked for me. The healing and damage both felt pretty underwhelming and her cloud slide maneuver is slow and doesn't seem to have I-frames, which was no beuno coming from Niss. I stacked way more WP for Venomess though, so maybe I should revisit with an AP and Crit build.

Very much looking forward to S2. I hope they don't wait until then to speed up XP grinding since I'm almost out of priority missions.

I don't see them adjusting xp up until the game exists EA, there just isn't the content to support it, and they're relying on the treadmill to keep people playing. The only thing that might allievate it a bit before the official launch is the exp scrolls.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

temple posted:

Play Warframe. There is a limit to power creep and fun

I think most people who paid for early access to a game with DE's name attached would be familiar with the way warframe is balanced and feel positively about the way you can break most content with almost any weapon or character.

I haven't unlocked that weapon, but the others I have feel underwhelming, so I'd certainly err on more power creep rather than less.

Like my ideal version of the game at the moment would fully remove stamina and make most nonboss mobs as easily destroyed as a common warframe mob, you're supposed to be mythic heroes reformed from the raw energy of the universe, not children with nerf weapons and bad cardio.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

temple posted:

Just play warframe
Wayfinder absolutely has some unique stuff that I hope sticks, but you're kidding yourself if you don't think the only thing keeping the game from being pre-tossed in the 'live service psuedo-MMO that's gonna die <1 year' trash heap is DE being attached and the hope that this game can expand like Warframe.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

MrTheDevious posted:

DE's name being on it is the only reason I touched it with a 10 foot pole in the first place

Right, there's a bunch of stuff like Heroic Kyros that are giant red flags unless you're familiar with Warframe and view it as equivalent to Excalibur Prime. With no attachment to DE or the cache of their brand, Wayfinder is just the next SpaceLords at best.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
Well, I hope Airship can still get the game to a viable product and finds some way to fund the remaining development, because it's gonna be hard delivering that roadmap off of EA purchases and cosmetics.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
Not to mention they need to be ready for primetime in <3 months. They'll both have to deliver a better product and won't get a 20 buck price of admission.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
So is that patch going to be rolled out to all platforms? Or are they still in the spot where ps4, ps5, and steam are running different versions?
I know last week they got ps5 in line with pc, but that left ps4 on its own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
Game might currently be broken on PS5 or there might be some busy server issues, r1 interactions with NPCs have about a 10% chance of triggering. The winter version of the city looks nice.