Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Now we are all sons of bitches.
Hell Gem
I've been playing the hell out of this game the last couple of weeks and having a lot of fun. I've got a question for anyone who purchased a pack with a premium tower upgrade though. I've got far enough along the season unlocks that I should be able to summon Venomess this weekend, but I'm thinking I'll likely bump up to a Founder Pack with a premium pass that gives the instant unlock at some point before the season is up. My understanding is that we'll be able to upgrade characters through awakening using extra/duplicate unlock parts from the tower at some point. So I'm trying to figure out, does the premium unlock give the four parts over again if you've already unlocked her by way of the tower? If not then I'm guessing I should wait until I buy the higher tier pack before unlocking her to ensure the awakening parts are available when that finally becomes an option. Anyone got her before purchasing the upgrade?

I started off with Niss since I played a ton of Hades and figured a hit-and-run style character might tweak the same circuits in my brain. Turns out that muscle memory definitely did help right out the gate, but I had to unlearn some bad habits soon after since the stamina and dash cooldowns mean you can't spam them nearly as much. The combo system with the daggers was also an adjustment, but there's a lot more depth to it than it seems like on the surface. Very happy with it so far. Plus it's just so goddamned lovely to look at.

EDIT - VVV Thanks for that. Looks like I'll be holding off then.

NObodyNOWHERE fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Sep 16, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Hell Gem
Tempest was the first thing I unlocked through grinding and it was almost totally by accident, so I'm surprised that anyone had to work for it much. Drops are so luck dependent that I realize this may be completely atypical. All the components are definitely available early though. I find daggers the most fun so far, but Tempest is so strong once it's fully leveled that it's hard to go back. This has been especially the case now that I've started unlocking other characters. It's just so much easier to get early leveling done when you have a big fuckoff gun that can carry you through higher level bosses and dungeons that you shouldn't be able to get away with during the extra-squishy phase. It's a fun weapon. You get into a nice rhythm of shoot-move-shoot-move since you've got that longish pause between shots. Arcstorm is also very strong with similar feel, but better range.

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Hell Gem

PrinnySquad posted:

About 50 runs to get the essence, everything else was a breeze.

God, that sucks lol. I think I have like four and I wasn't even trying for them. RNG is a motherfuck in this game.

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Hell Gem
I haven't had as much trouble with the Archaic Bones, but I haven't done the grind for Kyros or Senja yet either. At least the event for the bones comes up a lot in my experience. I've done a bunch of reps in Bloodworks and the Pit doing that repeatable Kite quest for tower XP and I feel like the drill event pops up a little over 50% of the time. So I can get a pretty steady trickle of those since I tend to run those maps without matchmaking and they give a bone every time. It's the trickster coins that have been the bigger pain for me. That event seems way more rare in my experience and you may not get a coin. I did luck out and get the trrickster apartment item though, so I've picked up a few extra coins that way and that helped mitigate some of my poo poo luck doing Codex runs. Celestial Orbs comes up way too seldom too and I still do that every chance I get because I want the home item that can give. I am an absolute dumbass sucker for the home cosmetics.

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Hell Gem
Hey thanks for doing these write-ups. I’m deciding who the next character I want to grind out will be, so the Kyros info is helpful.

I’ve been having a good time with the new stuff that dropped. New boss is fun and not too punishing, even though I don’t normally like forced invulnerability phases.

There’s still a bunch of work to do, so I’ll be glad if rumors they’re pushing back the full release end up being true. The game is fun enough when you’re actually playing that I’d hate to see it get undermined by sub-par UI or funky network issues at FTP start. There’s enough weird meme negativity online that they’re going to have to pretty much stick the landing at release to win over the narrative. Game continues to be very good though. The first big gripe I’ve had come up is since I started grinding Pyre. I can’t imagine what that was like when the timer was 4 hours. I’ve got four or five clears so far and only got a useful drop one time lol. Only six more items needed! It also feels super awful to finally get a spawn and then not have enough people around so you fail the damage check at the end.

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Hell Gem
Seems like there’s usually about 800+ people playing on Steam on weeknights. That seems fine to me for where the game is at. I think the giant wave of 30K people trying to log in and blowing up the server at the beginning was unfortunate for multiple reasons and set weird expectations about what the player count should be (not by you, to be clear). The hub areas mostly stay populated and I get players in matchmaking more after than not if I’m doing something that isn’t niche. Lots of players have leveled past the early areas now, so I think those tend to get less traffic compared to the places where people grind materials or XP. Some of this could also be down to what server region you’re in too, I suppose.

If there’s one big problem I see with longevity right now, it’s actually all the constant gleeful poo poo talk and negativity in the Steam forums and other places about the game and the way that can drive potential players away. The internet loves a dogpile. The game is very fun, but you’d never know it because the discourse is drowned out by a chorus of assholes screaming “lol DeD gAmE” and “trash dev” a million times. Steam is my preferred platform for games, but I honestly wish they would have done EA on Epic where they could have gotten a little EA exclusivity payout, taken their time getting things right, and then released without the online echo chamber of the Steam forums to worry about. This meme hivemind poo poo gets real old.

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Hell Gem

Pryce posted:

This is probably the issue I'm experiencing, I'm guessing. I hate when games don't have a 'full random' type queue, because this game has 27 different things to queue for technically (3x3x3 in the matchmaker, right?) so until you're in endgame you won't find people. They need to incentivize high-level players to queue with low-level or else the game feels dead early on.

I agree with all of this, except they actually do have that in the form of the Helper queue! It just doesn’t get used much because there’s not much upside for veteran players at the moment. You get helper coins for joining that queue, but the items you can trade them in for are so common that there’s no real point. I’m sure they don’t want to screw up the economy, but I f they would add some useful stuff like trickster coins or rarer materials in there it would solve that problem instantly.

The other thing they need to do is take away the incentives to run solo. Right now if my teammates die repeatedly in a level and I carry them through, I still get reduced rewards due to their deaths. That’s not a good approach. Likewise, if I’m trying to push through high level areas to XP boost a new character, I don’t want to screw someone over by messing up their rewards dying repeatedly. In either case, it’s better to just run solo.

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Hell Gem
I need to get Wingrave leveled up. I haven't messed with him at all even though I unlocked him a while ago. I very much missed having his ultimate available every time I got to the final damage race grinding Pyre.

Venomess was the second character that I maxed out. Even though I enjoyed playing her, I felt like I was missing something. I used Tempest and Arcstorm pretty much the whole way through with her and did just fine since they hit so hard, but her abilities just never clicked for me. The healing and damage both felt pretty underwhelming and her cloud slide maneuver is slow and doesn't seem to have I-frames, which was no beuno coming from Niss. I stacked way more WP for Venomess though, so maybe I should revisit with an AP and Crit build.

Very much looking forward to S2. I hope they don't wait until then to speed up XP grinding since I'm almost out of priority missions.

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Hell Gem
Another big content update tomorrow. Lots of bug-fixes, including a bunch of loading issues.

https://www.playwayfinder.com/en/news/wayfinder-mid-season-update-2-the-reaver-king

They're nerfing Titan's Bane into the core of the earth lol. I've nearly got everything to unlock it finally too. Perfect timing.

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Hell Gem
When designing and balancing a pve game, it seems like “give more fun things, not less” is always the winning move.

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Hell Gem
Yeah, it’s true and I get that. But at the same time, of the myriad complaints I’ve read about Wayfinder, both fair and unfair, not one has ever been “quit playing, sword was too strong.”

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Hell Gem
It’s going to take me seven rare drops from Pyre and three from Dread Legion to craft. That weapon had better loving rule to justify all that.

Just let me have my big fuckoff overpowered sword, for a treat.

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Hell Gem
Good stuff. Wish they would do some retroactive adjustments with tower xp as well. I have around 200 hours of game time and I’m still at level 95 on the tower. I came on after the early queue issues too.

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Hell Gem
Doing repeat Dread Legion runs now that I can beat it pretty consistently and trying to grind Senja. I'm frequently getting multiple big item drops per run. Got a dozen or so wins. So far I've landed:

10x Optic Cortex
4x Kyros summon parts
3x Dread Legion echo
and 6+ rare accessories

Not one part for Senja. I'm losing my god damned mind. I swear the game knows.

Also, they just announced a new patch coming soon to allow Affinity respecs. So that's good news.

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Hell Gem

PrinnySquad posted:

I spent far too much time unlocking Senja to realize I don't even like the way she plays.

Yeah, I don’t expect to be that into her at first, but the devs have said they plan to rework her since they know she has issues. I like her character design, so I’m hopeful the skill tweaks will make a difference down the line. If nothing else, unlocking her will satisfy my latent completionism.

That is, if I can ever get her drops. Got to around 25-30 Dread Legion runs in the tank last two nights and I’ve got one Senja drop.

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Hell Gem
I think they’ve done some work and have more improvements coming. The game runs pretty flawlessly for me when I’m in a randomized level or boss fight. The only places where I get consistent hiccups are in the hub area, like you said, almost always at the same exact spot approaching the gate. So I’m wondering if there’s some behind the scenes loading going on right there.

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Hell Gem
Yeah, I saw that too. The PlayStation issue is obviously really bad, but honestly I feel like most of the other stuff represents a positive change, provided they can get a publisher lined up. I hate how omnipresent the seasonal model is in gaming. Having a more consistent flow of new stuff to do and collect seems way better to me then getting a huge dump to grind through every 3-4 months. I feel like Airship has been a lot more nimble in their adjustments recently too. Quick fixes to the issues that irritate the community the most should always be priority when you’re doing EA. So I’m pretty happy with the game’s trajectory right now, but they’re going to need to secure funding to make it work.

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Hell Gem
Yeah, Niss is who I started with and I absolutely love everything about the character design and how she plays. She's easily my #1 favorite. Love the hit and run playstyle. Love that she has so many "oh poo poo emergency eject" options that also do killer damage. I seriously can't wait for them to add Awakening so I can get back to leveling her again. Just everything about her is fun to me.

EDIT - Also, Niss with Tempest is ludicrously good too. She's maybe the best in the game with a shotgun because she can get right in the pocket and blast fools with impunity since she has a ton of options to avoid sudden attacks and regain distance whenever it's needed. Pretty much the only time you're ever in real danger is if everything is on cooldown and you have no stamina, so as long as you leave a couple of abilities in the tank then you're free to go nuts with offense. It's really nice to catch an Equilibrium echo for her for this reason too, although that's a great thing to pick up for any character probably.

NObodyNOWHERE fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Nov 20, 2023

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Hell Gem
I believe the devs have said that only the materials are refunded, not the gold.

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Hell Gem
gently caress yes. Awakening will be in the December patch. Both characters and weapons.

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Hell Gem
Oh poo poo, patch is live for me. Just loaded into a new login screen. There's a blurb that says they're still waiting on Sony to approve the patch preview.

EDIT - Woo snow. New weapons are up. Looks like it's the whole patch. Awesome.

NObodyNOWHERE fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Dec 14, 2023

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Hell Gem
Yep, I won't be grinding every character, but I've been having fun getting my Niss up so far. Almost got her to 3-star now, but I stopped to level Heroic Kyros to 30 because I'm dumb as gently caress. He does look pretty bad rear end though.

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Hell Gem
The game certainly has some grindy bits, but I can't say I've ever been low on any imbuements. Seems like I'm just constantly picking up more and more running levels normally. I don't even remember the last time I had to craft any. Have you been running imbuements for every level even when not needed or something?

Try running the Eventide level a few times if you need gloom shards for crafting. All the deposits give you shards in that level, so you can get a bunch fast. It's also good for memory fragments. You can get around 1,600 to 1,700 of those per run when you get the tree event.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Hell Gem
Yeah, performance looks to be greatly improved in the places I’ve been. The new UI looks nice too, but there’s a really annoying bug in the echo system now. On your weapon echoes screen, it will show that some slots have been unequipped, but the echoes that were previously slotted will still count against your score total. So you probably can’t slot anything back in the empty space. The workaround is to unbind all weapon echoes then go into the selection menu and scan down the list for anything that shows it’s still equipped on that weapon. If you rebind them nd unequip again, you can clear the slots for real. You can fill all slots normally again after that.

It a really obnoxious bug and can kneecap your stats pretty bad until you take time to fix it. I didn’t notice at first and did a run in Reaver Woods. Initially I thought they had nerfed weapon damage by about half.