Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Captain Hygiene posted:

Ah, that's awesome, I'm glad you found it out. One of the things that I had in mind when I started the thread was hoping it would jog my memories enough to identify a little flying saucer toy I remember playing with when I was five or six, that's popped up in my mind every so often since then. The kind of thing that I have a good mental picture of when it's just generally in mind, but instantly starts fading away the moment I try to come up with specific details to search for. Oh well, maybe someday :iiam:

This'n?

If that's it, try looking for combinations of 1980s, Playmates, and Space. I think everyone back then knew a kid who had some of those sets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

Phy posted:

This'n?

If that's it, try looking for combinations of 1980s, Playmates, and Space. I think everyone back then knew a kid who had some of those sets.

holy poo poo i forgot about these. i definitely had that ufo when i was little

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Phy posted:

This'n?

No, it was probably close to the size of the little spaceship there, but going for a more "realistic" style like you'd see with a Star Wars toy or something. I think it was mostly red with a gray cockpit and it had a little pilot figure to go in it, also going more for a realistic person.

Skios
Oct 1, 2021

Skios posted:

Of course looking up the specific ones on Google Image Search also conveniently sent me to a vintage toy store that happened to have those three specifically in stock.

They arrived :3:

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Skios posted:

They arrived :3:

Ah, that's awesome :buddy:
I've had to stop myself from checking ebay prices on multiple things this thread has brought up.

Lewd Mangabey
Jun 2, 2011
"What sort of ape?" asked Stephen.
"A damned ill-conditioned sort of an ape. It had a can of ale at every pot-house on the road, and is reeling drunk. It has been offering itself to Babbington."
This seems like good place to ask a question that has been bugging me for years:

In the 80s, my brother and I got a few sets of vehicles that were roughly Matchbox-scale in size. Each set contained three identical vehicles, except one had slightly different paint or decals to make it seem like the leader. The ones I remember were all military vehicles -- I remember a set of tanks and a set of VTOL-style aircraft. They were great for playing games with, since you could make a little army with one leader that looked different enough to make it cool.

Does anyone remember the name for these things?

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

Lewd Mangabey posted:

This seems like good place to ask a question that has been bugging me for years:

In the 80s, my brother and I got a few sets of vehicles that were roughly Matchbox-scale in size. Each set contained three identical vehicles, except one had slightly different paint or decals to make it seem like the leader. The ones I remember were all military vehicles -- I remember a set of tanks and a set of VTOL-style aircraft. They were great for playing games with, since you could make a little army with one leader that looked different enough to make it cool.

Does anyone remember the name for these things?

Mega Force!

My friends and I got into them because they ended the line and were on deep discount at KB Toys, and we got a ton of them. I think I had like 80% of the released sets. They had some wild vehicles, and the back of the boxes had cut-away drawings of the interiors:

Pyroclastic has a new favorite as of 15:02 on Sep 22, 2023

Lewd Mangabey
Jun 2, 2011
"What sort of ape?" asked Stephen.
"A damned ill-conditioned sort of an ape. It had a can of ale at every pot-house on the road, and is reeling drunk. It has been offering itself to Babbington."

Pyroclastic posted:

Mega Force!

My friends and I got into them because they ended the line and were on deep discount at KB Toys, and we got a ton of them. I think I had like 80% of the released sets. They had some wild vehicles, and the back of the boxes had cut-away drawings of the interiors:

Awesome! Thank you. Those pictures bring back so many memories. I'd forgotten about the big vehicles -- I think we wanted them but never got them, although we did have a million star wars toys so we weren't exactly deprived.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Oh, nice! I was gonna be no help there, but I instantly remembered that logo once the pictures showed up. Also, it's funny to see KB keep popping up, I hadn't thought about it in years.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

credburn posted:

BLACKTRON!

They were a lineup of LEGO. I loved Blacktron, they all had awesome neon green visors and windows and it lit up all rad under a black light. BLACKTRON!

I had this baby. Man looking at this brings back memories. I love the early LEGO lineups, like Blacktron, Futuretron (I think?), they had that underwater thing, the Islanders, Pirates, the medieval one...

I loved the look of these in ads but never got one myself, they looked so fun.

Inceltown posted:

I was also going to put the MASK base here but they really didn't plan for SEO when they named the cartoon.

I have fond memories of the pop-up turret with the boulder on top, springing up in the middle of the night and scaring the poo poo out of me thanks to a weak latch.

MASK cartoon cancellation was my first experience with grief at 4yo.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

gently caress yes, it's like an arcade sim on your lap!

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

A big red bucket of Lego I got when I was 3 or 4. I had/have a physical handicap and couldn't do sports, so I spent a lot of time "playing Lego" with this thing. I think my bucket combined several sets, including airplane (?) Lego sets sold by Burger King in the late '80s. Sadly, my bucket was thrown out sometime in the mid '00s. Too afraid to check eBay for a replacement because I'd probably buy one.

Got one of these for my 6th birthday, 1990. Really lucky kid; especially since my parents were never super rich at all. I was too young to appreciate it at the time and I'm not sure what became of mine.

This was a Christmas 1990 present. It actually wasn't quite as cool as it looked like; the gameplay was mostly just avoiding other cars and staying on the road. But it looked totally awesome to six year old me.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald has a new favorite as of 01:10 on Sep 24, 2023

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

I think my bucket combined several sets, including airplane (?) Lego sets sold by Burger King in the late '80s.

This sparked a memory for me, and I went down a rabbit hole trying to find it. I couldn't find anything for Burger King, but I found multiple sets of McDonald's Happy Meal Lego sets from the 80s to 90s, just general vehicles without being themed tie-ins. I think these are the ones I remember:

I found some older, blockier ones and some newer, slicker ones, but these feel like the sets I remember. Just fun little vehicles mostly made out of the normal generic playset pieces.

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?
I remember this old cliff terrain I got with some jungle animals:

Looks like they were used in lots of sets with army men scaled figures, but mine were larger scale, like action figure sized and looked like the kind you'd get at a zoo giftshop. google is failing me. Anyways as you can see it has a ton of play value for being a single hunk of plastic with no moving parts, it worked great with my Imperial rubber dinosaurs.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Captain Hygiene posted:

This sparked a memory for me, and I went down a rabbit hole trying to find it. I couldn't find anything for Burger King, but I found multiple sets of McDonald's Happy Meal Lego sets from the 80s to 90s, just general vehicles without being themed tie-ins. I think these are the ones I remember:

I found some older, blockier ones and some newer, slicker ones, but these feel like the sets I remember. Just fun little vehicles mostly made out of the normal generic playset pieces.

That's probably it; they look like some of the sets I had. I'm pretty sure I had the yellow propeller plane and gray rotor chopper ones.

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

We were pretty poor in 1983, but I had everything made for Crossbows and Catapults. Lots of memories. Huge epic battles on the kitchen floor, using extra rubber bands to make them more powerful, using lockblocks to make extra walls.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eWu1p29vaV8

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Dr. Jerrold Coe posted:

Looks like they were used in lots of sets with army men scaled figures, but mine were larger scale, like action figure sized and looked like the kind you'd get at a zoo giftshop. google is failing me. Anyways as you can see it has a ton of play value for being a single hunk of plastic with no moving parts, it worked great with my Imperial rubber dinosaurs.

Child me says: Dimetrodon is not a dinosaur you frauds, you absolute buffoons:colbert:

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Speaking of dinosaurs (and dimetrodons), did anyone get these old trading cards back in the day?

A friend got me a bunch of packs for me birthday since we all loved dinosaurs, not really knowing what they were. Imagine 6 or 7 year old me, extremely sheltered in terms of media I was allowed to see, expecting some fun dino battles and opening them to find these horrors:

A real :stonklol: reaction, they absolutely terrified me and were instantly confiscated and disposed of aside from the bubblegum sticks. I appreciate them a whole lot more in retrospect, they're just the most absurdly over-the-top kitsch that I can't help but love them. Especially after finding out that the architect of the whole invasion was in fact....

DINO SATAN HIMSELF :aaaaa:

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

Dr. Jerrold Coe posted:

I had the army man scale one. It had a permanent place in my sandbox. I would also take the garden hose and stick it in the sand at one corner, turn the water on, and let a river be naturally carved out. I had to stop though, because my dad got mad at me for getting wet sand on the lawn where it drained out.

Ralph Hurley
Aug 3, 2009

:barf::sweep::zoid:

I had a bunch of these science and anatomy model kits that I really liked and had fun putting together with my dad. They were my first real “grown up” hobby kits that weren’t exactly toys and were about learning to use real model paints and glue. These were often pretty difficult to put together and took some patience. Not to mention learning actual science stuff like what an amoeba is.

These pictures might not be the exact ones I had in the 80s but they’re close. The chonky bull frog box art is definitely the same one I had.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
As far as Lego discussion goes, I think the largest Lego set I got as a kid was this thing:

I don't even know why I had it. I remember obsessing over the medieval fantasy sets people have posted here before but even as a kid I don't think I would've specifically asked for this? Probably given to me as a gift because of the horses in it.

Oh and those spiked bushes in this set were a terrible idea and a terrific foot-stepping hazard.

Nuns with Guns has a new favorite as of 21:05 on Sep 24, 2023

Canadian Bakin
Nov 6, 2011

Retaliate first.
If I had to point to a specific toy that saw repeated use through my childhood, it would be the Playskool roly poly bird toy.

To this day I'm still not sure what sort of bird it's supposed to be, but we always called it a penguin. It belonged to my father or one of his siblings and then I got my hands on it when I was a tiny tot, followed by everyone of my siblings and cousins. That poor bird has seen it all. A favorite activity was rolling it down the stairs at my grandparents house for the ungodly racket it would make. Good times had by all!

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
Monorail!! My actual favorite as a child.

I also had a normal lego Trainset and my nephew just spent a day playing with the remaining tracks:

Though a lot of parts are missing and the drive system is broken.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

VictualSquid posted:

I also had a normal lego Trainset and my nephew just spent a day playing with the remaining tracks:

Those motorized ones were at the top of my wishlist, but I never got any of them. That monorail in particular was :chefkiss:

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Lotta hits ITT of things I haven't thought about in years. The Fisher Price modular flute thing unlocked memories of messing with that thing constantly growing up.

LEGO-wise, I had tons of amazing sets growing up, a few of which have already been posted. The sea exploration sub with the grabby arms, Ice Planet stuff. I want to highlight this modest little kit because it struck me in just the right way as a kid:

The symmetry, the translucent dome, just enough greeblies to imply something cool, and those space thruster pieces used in a non-standard way. Love this thing.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Big effort post time so I can inflict one of my obsessions on the thread. The crown jewel of my adolescence and gently caress it, still to this day, the toy line that came and went in a flash but was the single coolest thing ever made: XEVOZ!!!!

As I understand it, first came the Stikfas ball joint figure model kits. Then Hasbro bought them out and nabbed the ball joint technology to use for themselves. Xevoz was the result. Unfortunately the line had basically zero marketing and was being pushed and dragged around as some kind of all-in-one franchise with some crappy game you'd play with the figures and of course a website with webcomics and webtoons and webgames and yadda yadda yadda They should've just focused on the toys themselves, because they're loving awesome!!!

Cyberpunk/military dudes, animal people, giant insects, elemental beings, cyborgs, and undead monsters, all in one line! (And five seconds before the whole line was canceled, dragons and wizards on top, why not??)

Every figure came with alternate pieces - variant heads, armor bits, or even totally different build configurations. And tons of accessories, including wacky joke pieces. Everything was universally interchangeable by way of either the aforementioned ball joint technology or square pegs for armor and accessories.

Here's a sampling of the line:

This first deluxe two pack sets the tone pretty well, I think. High tech ninja vs. giant praying mantis.

One of the later undead figs, this :krad: Frankenstein.

Take a gander at this Samurai Jack lookin' motherfucker. His chest plate comes apart to reveal his real head/brain. All of the robots were cyborgs with squishy bits somewhere.

How many toy lines have characters made out of electricity?

Or fire?

A little out of left field in terms of theme, but this superhero guy was one of the last ones they made. He came with like half a dozen energy effects/constructs.

Mess of translucent plastic ice ninja warrior thing...versus what is basically just Urgot from League of Legends.

Again, a bit far off from the standard themes, but this is still a pretty cool cowboy. With both giant and regular six shooters.

I feel like the furry faction lacked the same panache as the others, but maybe that's just my preferences. These were the two best of the bunch, I think.

Also this is a weird little story. So first, they had a skeleton pirate:

(He came with enough parts so you could have a full "naked" skeleton which is a great figure all by itself. Pretty sure he glows in the dark, too.)

Then they put out some "value packs" that were actually kind of a clever way to do repaints and rereleases. See, you got a repaint of one of the early figures, but they also threw in extra parts from different early figures. Cue Fire Skeleton:

All black skelly remixed with bits from the fire elemental figure and cool translucent blue pirate accessories.

And then I guess they realized that one was a banger (or just wanted to get as much use out of the base skeleton figure as possible), so they then put out an updated take on the concept with all new parts:

:discourse:

And one more for the road, one of my favorite figures combined with the biggest waste of money ever. The figure is an awesome ghostly translucent green spectre animating old pieces of armor that looks amazing, and even has a repeat of the openable chest gimmick, revealing a sinister golden skull with "glowing" green eyes. The ugly thing behind the figure? You might guess it was a storage case so you could keep all these little easily lost parts neat and tidy, and well, yeah it did come with some awkwardly small compartments for that. Its actual purpose was to fold open and be used to play the Xevoz Battle Game! :shepface: You can see the hexagonal rolling die thing in the foreground - they wasted the time and effort to ship one with every. single. figure. They're an integral part of the game. The case included slots you could plug them into and press a button to automatically roll them with a little spring mechanism. :cripes: I think the game actually did involve swapping pieces in and out or knocking them off the figures, so it wasn't totally disconnected from the toys, but it was still such a waste. I'm a freak who bought multiple of these just so I could have enough parts to make a fully armored/symmetrical version of the ghost dude.

John Murdoch has a new favorite as of 02:33 on Sep 25, 2023

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

That is awesome, and for all that info, that's one I've never heard of before!

John Murdoch posted:

LEGO-wise, I had tons of amazing sets growing up, a few of which have already been posted. The sea exploration sub with the grabby arms, Ice Planet stuff. I want to highlight this modest little kit because it struck me in just the right way as a kid:

The symmetry, the translucent dome, just enough greeblies to imply something cool, and those space thruster pieces used in a non-standard way. Love this thing.

I keep meaning to post about Spyrius, I had a number of them that were some of my favorite sets! Beyond the awesome little saucer, they had:
The small robot

The large robot

And probably my favorite set I ever had, the king size flying saucer, complete with an extendable grapple claw and a snap-apart assembly that let you put the robot and its little rover up inside the ship

That was just an awesome series all around, neat theming and consistent parts for all of the sets. The big spaceship in particular, I don't think spent any time being deconstructed to build other stuff, it was just too cool on its own.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Yes! I definitely had one or both of the big robots, maybe the big UFO too. I always thought the robot minifig looked creepy and sinister.

One of the big robots also featured something I dubbed the "super block" because it was an extra large block with normal studs on top and an underside, but also had underside-style connections on both of its broad faces. I think it facilitated the slide on/slide off mechanism where the robot upper half could detach from the rover bottom half. And then there was a different big space robot from a subsequent theme that ended up having the opposite kind of super block with studs all over it. Naturally I combined the two and they were a coveted prize for all of the various Lego powers at large in my playtime. :3:

Edit: I'm now realizing I've got them mixed up. The all studs one is part of the smaller giant robot set, the all underside one is from the different theme.
Edit 2: Aha, it's from this Space Police set:

Also neatly explains why I had one random Blacktron duder despite that theme otherwise not really being a thing at that time. I think I had pretty much that entire chunk of Space Police sets. I almost never got the really big playset stuff or giant spaceships, but everything else was apparently fair game and cheap enough to at least get on birthdays and Christmas and such.

Shoutout to another gem of a set I had, the Flying Time Vessel from Time Cruisers.

A janky theme, but wonderfully so.

I also kinda miss the early days of Lego Star Wars where they had a slightly better balance of Lego-ness to Star Wars-ness, for lack of a better way to put it.

John Murdoch has a new favorite as of 04:24 on Sep 25, 2023

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

VictualSquid posted:

The monorail sets are in high demand these days. The complete Futuron one starts at around $430 for a complete used set in tested-working condition. They were the holy grail sets for kids back then, and since they were $155 back in 1987, not a whole lot got sold. Though, interestingly, when you account for inflation, the current pricing isn't much more than they originally sold for.

The train's a fair bit cheaper; more around $150.

Besides the monorails, what I wanted was the Mega Core Magnetizer, the big M:Tron vehicle. My friend had one, but apart from sets I got from my Aunt for birthday or Christmas, nearly everything my parents got me was less than $20. Once I left my dark ages a decade and change ago, I bought three of 'em when they were still available for under $80.

Der-Wreck
Feb 13, 2006
Friday nights are for Wapner!

The Time Cruisers set was great for free building! It provided all sorts of weird bits and pieces from many different past themes so you could get some real out-there builds going.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I completely forgot about Time Cruisers, what a wild theme. It really does remind me of the tubs of assorted leftover Legos we'd get from garage sales, like you could just root around in there and build a flying time travel vehicle from a pirate rowboat, dragon wings, spacecraft engines, and a spare steering wheel :science:

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
And it's even perfectly in-theme to have your Time Cruisers come visit all of your other Lego sets! :3:

A white whale I only rediscovered relatively recently, after a stray mention of Memphis design put me on the right path...Zolo! Mr. Potatohead for the postmodern crowd.

Beer_Suitcase
May 3, 2005

Verily, the whip is ghost riding.

Ill have to ask my brothers if they have any of the DUNE toys I got.

Dad was a huge nerd and instead of StarWars stuff i got a Spice Harvester with a Sandworm. I think i had Paul, Stilgar, Baron Harkoneen and Sting

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I don't think I've seen very many Dune toys, I don't even know what all they had. I did have a few Star Wars toys, which was kinda funny because I wasn't allowed to see the movies for a long time, but getting toys from a garage sale was fine. I had a few different ones, my favorites were these two vintage ones from the 70s:

The X-Wing was pretty small, maybe 6" long, but I thought the wing opening action was really cool. The landspeeder was a favorite, though, since it was big enough to roll around with action figures in it. I know I recognized the X-Wing from it being pretty prominent in Star Wars ads and such, but I didn't know what the landspeeder was for a long time, it was a nice surprise when I found out it was from the same movie.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
This Luke was my star wars figure of choice. I asked my mom for a "Luke in stormtrooper armour" and she came back with this fella

apparently he's from Shadows of the Empire, which I only know as the game my friend('s parents) bought from Blockbuster with all the levels unlocked. There's a sweet Hoth level, a Boba Fett train level, and then apparently a lot of other poo poo that I don't remember

Skios
Oct 1, 2021
As far as space-themed Lego goes, you can't beat the space helicopter:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Lego Space was a truly special series. behold, the best lego set ever, the MEGA CORE MAGNETIZER

the tradition of a series of space having one ridiculously gigantic spaceship was great. every series had at least one stupidly huge ship. the Galactic Mediator. the Deep Freeze Defender. they all ruled, until the UFO line anyways

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

When I was a kid I got the classic late 1970s/early 1980s space Lego:

The '78 Space Cruiser was my main set (I guess we couldn't afford the larger Galaxy Explorer). That little bar fridge was loaded with SPACE GEMS, the back of the ship opened up and you could load it right in there with the forklift

well you now have an opportunity to get your very own Galaxy Explorer today, because they have released a Lego 90th Anniversary updated version of it. It's very cool.
https://www.lego.com/en-us/product/galaxy-explorer-10497

Skios posted:

As far as space-themed Lego goes, you can't beat the space helicopter:

this was my first "major" lego set that I can remember. I built it, then immediately lost the robot, and was DEVASTATED.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
non-lego toys I had that also ruled:

the Evac Fighter from the insane Kenner Aliens toyline, during the time period where kid-friendly versions of extremely not-kid-friendly licenses like Robocop, Aliens, Terminator and Toxic Avengers were being heavily marketed. I had the queen, the alien imposter armor, and the snake alien too. poo poo ruled

OMEGA VIRUS, the "boys" version of Mall Madness, which had a central console to input codes into. you could attack other players, get extra controllable play pieces, and you had a time limit so that once you neared the end the game would start shutting down entire sections of the map. it was stupidly fun, my favorite board game ever.

oh, also, the central console was full of voice clips from an antagonistic AI that was trying to kill you, and would endlessly mock you as you tried to track it down and destroy it.

RED is attacking BLUE. How AMUSING! RED, take your best shot! BLUE activated THREE SHIELDS.

NEGATRON FOUND.

HEEEELP ME! HEEEEELP ME! YOU HUMAN SCUM!

TOO LATE! THIS STATION IS MINE! I WIN! HEEHEHAHAHAHAHAHHHH! RED TERMINATED. BLUE TERMINATED. GREEN TERMINATED. YELLOW TERMINATED. HEE HEE HEE. HEEHEHAHAHAHAHAHHHH!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kh0s12Tjk3A

apparently AVGN reviewed it almost a decade ago. I remember picking up a shrinkwrapped, sealed copy of the game in mint condition for 30 bucks on Ebay at least a couple years before that, and him reviewing it would certainly explain why it is significantly more expensive nowadays. it's an excellent game, if you can pick up a copy for you and friends or you and your kids, do so!

a few years back I found my old Jayce and the Wheeled Warriors bad guy, the SAWBOSS.

didn't even know the name of it until I found it, I just knew it was a rad trike tank with a huge chrome gold sawblade, and that was THE COOLEST to me as a kid

Captain Invictus has a new favorite as of 23:59 on Sep 26, 2023

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I never saw that one before, that's cool as hell. I like the flatter design, it looks like Star Destroyer concept art or something.

That also looks great. I definitely don't remember it from back in the day, but I think I probably saw the AVGN video because it still seems a little familiar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"
The omega virus voice saying “5 minutes until I take over” and sarcastically “help me help me hahahaha”