Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Grassy Knowles posted:

The omega virus voice saying “5 minutes until I take over” and sarcastically “help me help me hahahaha”
it's so good

Captain Hygiene posted:

I never saw that one before, that's cool as hell. I like the flatter design, it looks like Star Destroyer concept art or something.
it was released last year as an anniversary set, updating the old Galaxy Explorer design to a more modern style with modern pieces. that's probably why you don't remember it :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Captain Invictus posted:

it was released last year as an anniversary set, updating the old Galaxy Explorer design to a more modern style with modern pieces. that's probably why you don't remember it :v:

Oh lol, I misread it as an anniversary reissue of an existing vintage set. It's really well done, I had to tell myself no, you will not look this up to see how much it's going for :sweatdrop:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I linked to the lego store page you can still order it from until the end of this year, it's a hundred bucks(but will likely go up a lot once it's out of production, as one does). which, for a set with 1400+ pieces, isn't bad for a lego set these days.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Yeah, that seems surprisingly low from what I expected. Must...resist... :shepspends:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
g i v e   i n

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I'm standing strong. I've learned my lesson, the last pricey Lego set I bought was the Tallneck from Horizon Zero Dawn.

I love it, it's one of the coolest Lego models I've seen. But at the same time, the instant I finished it I was thinking "what am I doing, I don't even have anywhere to put this". No more big Lego sets for now.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

There are also alternate instructions to build two small ships from the parts

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.

Captain Hygiene posted:

I'm standing strong. I've learned my lesson, the last pricey Lego set I bought was the Tallneck from Horizon Zero Dawn.

I love it, it's one of the coolest Lego models I've seen. But at the same time, the instant I finished it I was thinking "what am I doing, I don't even have anywhere to put this". No more big Lego sets for now.

I'm so happy you did this though

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

My Lovely Horse posted:

There are also alternate instructions to build two small ships from the parts

Note that you cannot build both smaller ships from a single Galaxy Explorer set. You can only build one of the three.
You'd have to be a crazy person to build all three at once.

Professor Spatula
Apr 16, 2007

Captain Hygiene posted:

I went a little crazy on big Lego sets for a bit. Now I have the big millennium falcon, the new lions castle, and the delorean set in their boxes in my closet with absolutely nowhere to put them. I love the technic car kits but they take so much space.

Poo In An Alleyway
Feb 12, 2016

Teeny Weeny Families playsets. Man I fuckin loved these.

There was also a really cool cardboard haunted house set that I had to collect 30 Fyffe's Bananas stickers and send them to Fyffe's in order to get and build. I've been looking around for this for years to get again, or even just find images of it to prove to myself and others that it did in fact exist, but alas it seems like no advertising material for it exists.

It looked somewhat similar to this on the outside but you could open up the back of the house to reveal rooms filled with haunted furniture and cardboard Addams Family-style characters that you could move from room to room.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

action figures are low-hanging fruit I suppose, but holy gently caress the LotR action figures were good. Check out this Gimli. He came with all his axes, and of course that thing from Rivendell so you can re-enact his attempt to smash the ring, and he has holsters so you can actually have him carry all of his axes outside of battle. Not pictured, he had removeable helmet and elven cloak.

everyone came equally kitted out, ready to play all your favourite scenes.

Edgar Allen Ho has a new favorite as of 22:08 on Oct 1, 2023

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

I really wanted turtles for pets, so my parents got me this

The Littlest Pet Shop started branching out into zoo and other exotic animals after the initial success. I adored this one because it was so glittery and you could hook the polar bear on the magnetic fish. It really delighted me that you could put it in water and go fishing for a polar bear

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

action figures are low-hanging fruit I suppose, but holy gently caress the LotR action figures were good. Check out this Gimli. He came with all his axes, and of course that thing from Rivendell so you can re-enact his attempt to smash the ring, and he has holsters so you can actually have him carry all of his axes outside of battle. Not pictured, he had removeable helmet and elven cloak.

It was a little too late to technically be childhood toys, but we got into the X-Men movies action figures from around the same time. They also had some pretty impressive design details. Nightcrawler was easily the best though, he had a bendy articulated tail that held its position strongly enough to support him hanging from stuff.

So of course we bought a bunch on clearance, and for a while our house had multiple Nightcrawlers hanging around on lamps, the Christmas tree, etc :v:

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Enfys posted:

The Littlest Pet Shop started branching out into zoo and other exotic animals after the initial success. I adored this one because it was so glittery and you could hook the polar bear on the magnetic fish. It really delighted me that you could put it in water and go fishing for a polar bear

I had SO many Littlest Pet Shops. I particularly liked the horses (I was a big fan of all sorts of plastic horses, the sparklier the better).

The ones they make now are hideous.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I had a bunch of the 1990s action figures. I know I had Gandalf and this butt ugly Balrog but I'm not sure how many of the others I had, the photos I found online didn't ring any bells

I don't think they sold very well because LOTR didn't have much of an active fanbase at the time. I ended up giving them all away at some point

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I didn't even know there were LOTR action figures before the Jackson movies :stare:

A couple mostly-ignored Nintendo and computer games are about the most I remember from before then, I kinda want a weird nonsensical Balrog now.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Captain Hygiene posted:

I didn't even know there were LOTR action figures before the Jackson movies :stare:

A couple mostly-ignored Nintendo and computer games are about the most I remember from before then, I kinda want a weird nonsensical Balrog now.

There was also a line of action figures released for the 1978 Ralph Bakshi animated film but I completely missed out on those

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Enfys posted:

What an oddly specific memory - I clearly had one of these, but I can't recall which one, but what I do vividly recall is the clip-on water bottle.

Edit: Bingo. https://www.toysisters.com/1992-littlest-pet-shop-pet-presents-marching-mice-with-magic-maze/

Magnetic cheese!

John Murdoch has a new favorite as of 06:17 on Oct 2, 2023

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

I went looking for the Barbie limo I had, it had a Jacuzzi that was just a lovely sticker but I loved loading it up with Barbies and GI Joes

Turns out it's an off-brand "Fashion Girl" toy, lmbo

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

i just remembered Sky Dancers/i think the boy version was called Dragon Flyz?

i had this specific one with the dolphin launcher and it was the dumbest thing. you pulled the rip cord and it twirled into the air, spinning around and around until it crashed to the ground somewhere and you had to go get it. the "wings" were made of foam but they could still gently caress you up if you launched the thing towards your sibling (or were an idiot and stood too close to it while it twirled), so they got discontinued/recalled after a bunch of kids got horrible facial injuries. gotta love it.

someone awful. has a new favorite as of 07:24 on Oct 2, 2023

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
a classic
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ba25S_AqGRo

Poo In An Alleyway
Feb 12, 2016

someone awful. posted:

i had this specific one with the dolphin launcher and it was the dumbest thing. you pulled the rip cord and it twirled into the air, spinning around and around until it crashed to the ground somewhere and you had to go get it. the "wings" were made of foam but they could still gently caress you up if you launched the thing towards your sibling (or were an idiot and stood too close to it while it twirled), so they got discontinued/recalled after a bunch of kids got horrible facial injuries. gotta love it.

They’re back on the market! I swear every few years they come back, then get discontinued because of kids getting their eyes hosed up from them flying directly into people’s faces, then just enough years go by that people forget the whole thing and they appear again. I swear this has happened like 5 times in my entire life (I’m 36)

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

someone awful. posted:

I had forgotten these existed, but the commercial is burned into my brain because of the bit where one girl catches the sky dancer that her friend had gently and accurately launched over to her, an impossible feat to recreate in real life. My friend and I spent so long hitting each other in the face or chasing after the stupid things when we overshot just trying to do what the girls on the commercial did (because what else did you do with them?) :argh:

https://i.imgur.com/tFGesjv.mp4

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

someone awful. posted:

oh hell yeah my sis and i had so many bruises from that barbie

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Poo In An Alleyway posted:

They’re back on the market! I swear every few years they come back, then get discontinued because of kids getting their eyes hosed up from them flying directly into people’s faces, then just enough years go by that people forget the whole thing and they appear again. I swear this has happened like 5 times in my entire life (I’m 36)

Wikipedia only mentions one recall and return, although that article says the newer versions were made by Play Along Toys and the ones I can see for sale now are apparently made by Lansay, so maybe there were other versions or maybe it just depends what country you're in which company has the licence. :shrug:

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Enfys posted:

My friend and I spent so long hitting each other in the face or chasing after the stupid things when we overshot just trying to do what the girls on the commercial did (because what else did you do with them?) :argh:

That reminds me of getting stuff for Christmas like Stretch Armstrong that I'd pay with for five minutes and be like, "ok what am I supposed to do with this crap".

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

There was also a line of action figures released for the 1978 Ralph Bakshi animated film but I completely missed out on those

My inner manchild wants these very much

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Baskin Robbins ice cream maker mother fuckersssss

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EufwZw7LpVY

I swear my dad was more excited to play with this than I was and that was nice

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

I had more lego and micro machines than I knew what to do with and probably played with them far more, but I had these two playsets and for my nostalgia the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles cannot be beat.

TECHNODROME

:krad: sewer lair

I think they may both be in storage somewhere still...

Captain Invictus posted:

a few years back I found my old Jayce and the Wheeled Warriors bad guy, the SAWBOSS.

didn't even know the name of it until I found it, I just knew it was a rad trike tank with a huge chrome gold sawblade, and that was THE COOLEST to me as a kid
I also definitely had a few of these and had 100% forgotten entirely about their existence.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
I got to enjoy the sewer lair as a 99% intact hand-me-down from my brother, along with the bulk of his TMNT collection. Had a bunch of the vehicles too.

But I'll never forgive his teenage phase where he started selling off his stuff for quick cash, as that included the Ghostbusters firehouse. :argh:

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

There were great TMNT figures. I remember a cool Splinter and a Michelangelo that came with pizza, but I can't find it.

I remember these though

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Enfys posted:

There were great TMNT figures. I remember a cool Splinter and a Michelangelo that came with pizza, but I can't find it.

There were an insane number of official TMNT action figures and vehicles, they pumped out hundreds and hundreds of them

Here's a list of just the vehicles, it's loving crazy how many there are: https://turtlepedia.fandom.com/wiki/Category:Vehicle_toys

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
In my eyes the Pizza Thrower was the peak of vehicle design. :colbert: It was so good they reused the mold multiple times.

Though actually that reminds me of another 90s classic that hasn't been brought up yet: Exosquad!

One day in the early 2000s I did a double take because KB Toys had figures stocked that were 100% definitely Exosquad but presumably the molds either got swiped or just kept around to keep pumping out knockoff toys well after the original run had died. I think they were sold as just the exosuits, no GI Joe-esque figures to stick in 'em.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

John Murdoch posted:

In my eyes the Pizza Thrower was the peak of vehicle design. :colbert: It was so good they reused the mold multiple times.

Though actually that reminds me of another 90s classic that hasn't been brought up yet: Exosquad!

One day in the early 2000s I did a double take because KB Toys had figures stocked that were 100% definitely Exosquad but presumably the molds either got swiped or just kept around to keep pumping out knockoff toys well after the original run had died. I think they were sold as just the exosuits, no GI Joe-esque figures to stick in 'em.

I loved my TMNT technodrome and sewer, but I think the Transformers micromasters took the cake for me, combining micro machine scale and action figure playability. I need to find some pictures, I remember the rocket launch pad in particular.

If I recall correctly, ExoSquad were another result of the BattleTech licensing drama? Like they were supposed to be Clan Elementals originally?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

PerniciousKnid posted:

I loved my TMNT technodrome and sewer, but I think the Transformers micromasters took the cake for me, combining micro machine scale and action figure playability. I need to find some pictures, I remember the rocket launch pad in particular.

I still have my Devastator and Defensor Micromaster combiners:

They also sold Superion and Rail Racer Micromaster combiner sets but for some reason I never bought those. Devastator was always my favourite Transformers character but I could only ever afford the dinky little cheap Micromaster version. :sweatdrop: I eventually got a bootleg version of the OG Devastator but it's pretty janky

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

John Murdoch posted:

The white mech in the front was 100% my favourite single toy of all time. Good articulation, cool parts, a motorcycle handlebar for control, plus it could shoot missiles at cats. Sadly, ACAB.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

I still have my Devastator and Defensor Micromaster combiners:

They also sold Superion and Rail Racer Micromaster combiner sets but for some reason I never bought those. Devastator was always my favourite Transformers character but I could only ever afford the dinky little cheap Micromaster version. :sweatdrop: I eventually got a bootleg version of the OG Devastator but it's pretty janky

The original original Devastator is pretty janky too, tbh

You know what I never see come up on the internet? Air Raiders

Typical gi-joe-ish vehicles and playsets but the big gimmick was pump-action missiles. I had this sucker and that big round thing in the middle was a bellows that if you squeezed it would fire off a little missile nerf-dart-style. I thought it was cool at the time.

Also the store where my mom bought it was this place where they didn't have stock out on shelves, just a catalogue and little tickets or poo poo to order off of. You'd take your ticket to the counter, they'd bring you your thing. Such an early-20th-century way of doin business.

E: I just noticed the name of the thing in French is a pretty great portmanteau

Phy has a new favorite as of 17:55 on Oct 5, 2023

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
I'm jealous of any kid who got actual playsets for their action figures. My brother and I got plenty of G.I.Joe, Transformers, even a few random M.A.S.K. and He-Man figured, a couple vehicles, but NEVER a big themed playset like the Technodrome or US Flagg or Castle Greyskull.

One thing I haven't seen mentioned yet is Construx:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Construx

Little plastic pieces that were various lengths of straight or curved pieces, and then some plastic "filler" pieces to close the gaps, all connected to 6x6 cubes with little notches that all the pieces slid and locked into.
I loved making weird little cars and spaceships.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
That kid gets better birthday present than you. He won’t call you poor, but he wants you to know he knows.