Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

DrBouvenstein posted:

One thing I haven't seen mentioned yet is Construx:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Construx

Little plastic pieces that were various lengths of straight or curved pieces, and then some plastic "filler" pieces to close the gaps, all connected to 6x6 cubes with little notches that all the pieces slid and locked into.
I loved making weird little cars and spaceships.

:hellyeah: Those were the other biggest contender for my favorite construction type set, no idea how I managed to not bring them up. They were neat because of how big and standardized the pieces were, you could easily get tubs of them at garage sales and make pretty large builds like that.

I did occasionally get actual sets, too, and unsurprisingly the spaceships were my favorites. Especially the alien line that had a darker theme and glow in the dark pieces.

This one was my favorite, and the biggest set I ever got. It went one step beyond the regular alien line and was wired up with a battery pack and actual working lights :aaaaa:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

These were awesome, I still have a couple.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

I still have my Devastator and Defensor Micromaster combiners:

They also sold Superion and Rail Racer Micromaster combiner sets but for some reason I never bought those. Devastator was always my favourite Transformers character but I could only ever afford the dinky little cheap Micromaster version. :sweatdrop: I eventually got a bootleg version of the OG Devastator but it's pretty janky

I never heard of those, that's cool as hell. I would've loved combiner miniature guys.

I mostly had incomplete sets of combiners older, I did have the terrorcons and monster pretenders, and I had to settle for a Gen2 recolored Devastator. He was kind of disappointing in terms of playability.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
This cartoon was rather politically serious. A rebellion of genetically engineered alien slaves. They were the villains.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I wonder how popular the Exosquad toys were. I recognize them from the store, but I never knew anybody who had them - I could count on friends to have a lot of the bigger toy lines I never got to buy (Turtles, He-Man etc), so I got to play with them when I was visiting.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Pleads posted:

The white mech in the front was 100% my favourite single toy of all time. Good articulation, cool parts, a motorcycle handlebar for control, plus it could shoot missiles at cats. Sadly, ACAB.

The world needs more mechs with stompy ED-209 feet.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy

John Murdoch posted:

In my eyes the Pizza Thrower was the peak of vehicle design. :colbert: It was so good they reused the mold multiple times.

Though actually that reminds me of another 90s classic that hasn't been brought up yet: Exosquad!

One day in the early 2000s I did a double take because KB Toys had figures stocked that were 100% definitely Exosquad but presumably the molds either got swiped or just kept around to keep pumping out knockoff toys well after the original run had died. I think they were sold as just the exosuits, no GI Joe-esque figures to stick in 'em.

:aaaaa: You just answered a question I forgot I had. I received a complete, intact copy of the guy in the middle (gray suit) and I never had any idea where it came from. His legs had little fake pistons that would move when it articulated and I was fascinated.

Kangaroo Jerk
Jul 23, 2000
Devastator chat: I had the original Devastator, and that damned thing took forever to put together. It also, like the others said, wouldn’t stand up for more than a few seconds before toppling over.

Poor Devastator: thought of Dinobots and died

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Kangaroo Jerk posted:

Devastator chat: I had the original Devastator, and that damned thing took forever to put together. It also, like the others said, wouldn’t stand up for more than a few seconds before toppling over.

Yeah kids today don't know how good they've got it.

Just look at this drat thing, 12 year old me would have gone nuts for this:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Neither of those are really kids toys though. The devastator is a third party one that I have a ko of and while it's neat and the robots are cool, I think it's too complicated and flimsy for kids(yes i have a KO but a lot of the parts even "original"i doubt would be very sturdy) and also it is extremely expensive. And the optimus prime, wasn't that some promotional transforming pen thing?

Anyways, i get your point, just probably could have used a better example :v:

Captain Invictus has a new favorite as of 07:49 on Oct 6, 2023

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

This one was the pride of my collection. My dad never got me big gifts, and then one day, completely out of the blue, he comes home with this giant box. I guess he must have found it on sale or something.

The two cockpit sections were detachable, and then you could split the main body into two pieces and plug a cockpit into each to make two smaller ships. The front section opened up to reveal a rocket inside, and the back section was a hangar for the little scout craft. It was a really fun design that made it more than just a single big ship.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

It's a great design. When Lego came out with the updated Galaxy Explorer a while ago I thought "I swear this is a test balloon as much as anything else; if they come out with a modernized Deep Freeze Defender after this they're gonna make absolute bank".

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
My mom got me the mega core magnetizer for Christmas while at my grandma's in Florida. Then my grandma took me to toys r us to pick out a gift I wanted, and...there was another mega core magnetizer, half destroyed, sitting in a discount bin for 12 dollars. It was missing some pieces since the box was torn in half, but it still had all the giant wheels and giant windshield, and honestly those are the most important parts. My grandma thought it was weird I insisted on getting a smashed open box with missing parts, but got it for me anyways. So I got 1.5 MCMs for Christmas. It ruled

She also got me some Snailiens. SUPERSONIC SHELL FIGHTERS!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oLABasuuGBQ

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Captain Invictus posted:

My grandma thought it was weird I insisted on getting a smashed open box with missing parts
your grandma, reading your Post My Favorites thread: well we always knew

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
lmao

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Kangaroo Jerk posted:

I wonder if how annoying he was to assemble and his terrible balance is why the all the other combiner teams changed form 6 robots, like Constructicons/Devastator, to 5?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
G1 devastator was so awesome to me as a kid, and when they finally, finally made a new version for Combiner Wars, you're drat right I bought it

the individual constructicons aren't perfect but the combined form is essentially flawless. amazing stability, articulation, and detail for a $120 set.

grill youre saelf
Jan 22, 2006

John Murdoch posted:

In my eyes the Pizza Thrower was the peak of vehicle design. :colbert: It was so good they reused the mold multiple times.

Though actually that reminds me of another 90s classic that hasn't been brought up yet: Exosquad!

One day in the early 2000s I did a double take because KB Toys had figures stocked that were 100% definitely Exosquad but presumably the molds either got swiped or just kept around to keep pumping out knockoff toys well after the original run had died. I think they were sold as just the exosuits, no GI Joe-esque figures to stick in 'em.

I had the grey guy in the middle. I liked all the little details - the little "plug" that you stuck into the back of the guys neck. The little power chip that slid into slot in the back. I somehow ended up duplicate grey figures and now my kids stomp/throw them around the house to this day! (I lost the missles)

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe
More non-LEGO stuff I just remembered after seeing something similar:

Battle Beasts. Each had a small label on it that changed color and became visible when you warmed it up a bit.

It got kind of tied in with Transformers in Japan but of course when you get one of these with no background whatsoever you don’t really care.

Too bad the label stopped working fairly quickly.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Laserjet 4P posted:

More non-LEGO stuff I just remembered after seeing something similar:

Battle Beasts. Each had a small label on it that changed color and became visible when you warmed it up a bit.

It got kind of tied in with Transformers in Japan but of course when you get one of these with no background whatsoever you don’t really care.

Too bad the label stopped working fairly quickly.

The label was for a stupid rock paper scissor game anyway. Visionaries had the cool labels!

Kid Fenris
Jan 22, 2004

If someone is reading this...
I must have failed.
Battle Beasts might be my favorite toy line from my childhood. They were cheap enough to get with my allowance, they were surprisingly detailed for their size, and the complete lack of any cartoon (there's an obscure and short comic series I didn't know about) left me free to give my Beasts whatever personalities and backstory I wanted.

I sold a lot of my childhood toys once I learned they were worth money (thanks for never throwing them out, mom) but I made sure I kept my Battle Beasts.

They sorta came back about a decade ago with Beast Saga, and the figures had little dice launchers instead of rub stickers.

https://www.takaratomy.co.jp/products/beastsaga/information/index.html

They're really cool, but the whole line flopped hard and was released only in Japan.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Kid Fenris posted:

Battle Beasts might be my favorite toy line from my childhood. They were cheap enough to get with my allowance, they were surprisingly detailed for their size, and the complete lack of any cartoon (there's an obscure and short comic series I didn't know about) left me free to give my Beasts whatever personalities and backstory I wanted.

I sold a lot of my childhood toys once I learned they were worth money (thanks for never throwing them out, mom) but I made sure I kept my Battle Beasts.

They sorta came back about a decade ago with Beast Saga, and the figures had little dice launchers instead of rub stickers.

https://www.takaratomy.co.jp/products/beastsaga/information/index.html

They're really cool, but the whole line flopped hard and was released only in Japan.

There must be someone out there who does all their d6 rolls with these

Calexio
Jun 12, 2008

Gyoza and beer

someone awful. posted:

a couple more of my childhood favorites that i haven't seen anyone post about yet:

Brio wooden train tracks!!!

apparently they make way fancier ones now than they did when I was a youngin. They were just super durable wooden train track pieces and trains, I remember building big sprawling tracks all over the living room and the hallway and making a train station out of the big blocks of Duplo from toddlerhood we never got rid of. There was something really satisfying about how well they interlocked and how smoothly the trains ran on them, and I had some sloped up/down pieces that were fun to make routes that looped under. :3: Probably inspired my love of Rollercoaster Tycoon's coaster designer later in life.

Hell yeah Brio. When I was around five years old, I apparently hit my little brother over the head with one of the trains because he grabbed it while I was playing with my Brios. He wasn't even two years old at the time. :( We're okay now though!

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Calexio posted:

Hell yeah Brio. When I was around five years old, I apparently hit my little brother over the head with one of the trains because he grabbed it while I was playing with my Brios. He wasn't even two years old at the time. :( We're okay now though!

He deserved it

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

let they who hasn't swung a line of brio train tracks like a sword throw the first plastic stone, tbh

sock it to me!
Feb 7, 2010
A straight section with a curved section attached to it to make it look like a scimitar.

Der-Wreck
Feb 13, 2006
Friday nights are for Wapner!

Haven’t we all been hit by one toy or another? An old friend of mine threw a Genesis controller and hit me in the head.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Der-Wreck posted:

Haven’t we all been hit by one toy or another? An old friend of mine threw a Genesis controller and hit me in the head.

Me and my little brother were wrestling, it was a fierce match and he didn't hold back. He knew I was afraid of getting in trouble, but as the little brother if he hurt me he'd get away with it easily. We were trying to throw each other off the couch and he eventually got the better of me and I came tumbling down, I looked up and he was looking back and getting position to jump off the corner of the couch like a loving WWF wrestler. Thinking quick I grabbed a weapon, a whiffle ball bat. I point it right at him like a sword, surely he wouldn't jump if the bat was in the way like that. Wrong. Motherfucker jumped with no hesitation and his head slammed right into the tip of the bat. He even got a little black eye :( He cried and I got in trouble.

Little dude threw himself on my sword just to own me and it worked

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

to heck with toys, my brother threw a block of parmesan cheese in a ziplock bag at me once. beaned me right in the head :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
One time my best buddy and I were playing this game where he was on a swing and I would throw things and he would kick them, you know, using the swing's momentum to launch things really far! So I'd throw a basketball and WHOOMP he'd knock it right over the fence into the alley! I throw a teddy bear and WHOOF it goes flying, right into a mud puddle hilarious! I throw a big plastic thing used to put plants in, but I overthrow it, and it hits him in the face. He topples backwards off the swing, and his face lands right in the mud puddle under the swing. And so he's also crying -- no, screaming, he's absolutely screaming. And you know the rules of being a kid: whoever gets to a grownup first gets to tell his side of the story first, so I ran up to him, shoved his face further into the mud so he'd be slowed down, and raced up the path that led to his front yard. There I encountered his mother, and I began my tale, which started like, "Okay, Best Buddy is going to come here and tell you some real crazy lies. But let me tell you how it really happened..." but at that moment, Best Buddy comes shambling up the porch, and there is blood everywhere. Blood and mud covering every part of him. It looked like something out of Hellraiser.

The plastic pot I threw had split his lip in half, right up to his nostril. He had to have stitches. I got grounded :\