Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

Jippa posted:

Apparently mourinho has "fans" as well (who follow him club to club).

The earliest single player fans I was aware of were for Mido (if any other spurs fans were on message boards back then). Pre social media. :lol:

From what I've read, a big part of Mido's career issues came from the fact that he was an idol for so many Egyptians. It was like the wrong mix of adulation and pressure for him.

https://thesefootballtimes.co/2017/11/21/the-rise-and-fall-of-mido-egypts-volatile-son/

It's part of why I'm amazed at how Salah has been able to hold it together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Amr Zaki was unplayable for a week and then became the least professional footballer Steve Bruce ever managed

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

the sex ghost posted:

Amr Zaki was unplayable for a week and then became the least professional footballer Steve Bruce ever managed

Wigan looked unbeatable with Amr Zaki banging in the goals and brutalizing defenders

The Finn
Aug 27, 2004

إنه أصلع في الأسفل، كما تعلم

Eric Cantonese posted:

From what I've read, a big part of Mido's career issues came from the fact that he was an idol for so many Egyptians. It was like the wrong mix of adulation and pressure for him.

https://thesefootballtimes.co/2017/11/21/the-rise-and-fall-of-mido-egypts-volatile-son/

The oft-repeated line I used to hear was that he came from money and that was what contributed to the spoiled antics and work ethic issues. He simply didn't need football, or the money that comes with it, as bad as others did, he just happened to be good at it. That article doesn't mention any of that and I'm wondering if that was always apocryphal

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

the sex ghost posted:

Jonathan Wilson will not be permabanned in this forum unless he starts posting about contemporary modern football instead of weird niche footy stories from the 1930s

He would probably just get frustrated by the 80,000 character limit of posts here

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

Eric Cantonese posted:

lol, drat, I had forgotten that he AND Zlatan were at Ajax at the same time, not enough room in the changing room for both of their egos

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

The Finn posted:

The oft-repeated line I used to hear was that he came from money and that was what contributed to the spoiled antics and work ethic issues. He simply didn't need football, or the money that comes with it, as bad as others did, he just happened to be good at it. That article doesn't mention any of that and I'm wondering if that was always apocryphal

He definitely came from money but I don't know if it was Pirlo, my dad owns a steel mill and a vineyard, wealthy.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

:rip:, everyone’s broken

https://twitter.com/arsenal/status/1706722802592891295?s=46

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

The Finn posted:

I never knew about the rich family bit. This Vice piece gets into that a little:

quote:

But as similar as the two were in persona, all boisterousness and bravura, their backgrounds could hardly have been more different. Mido was born into a hugely wealthy Cairo family, his business executive father funding his way through private sports college. Ibrahimovic's route to the top started in the Malmo ghetto of Rosengard. "Beer tins, Yugo music, empty fridges and the Balkan war, that's what we had at home," he later wrote.

All I can find from some extra Googling through our SEO-compromised information hellscape is that Mido's dad owns a travel agency, but also used to be a professional footballer.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Ulesi posted:

Welcome to my ride as a Liverpool supporter from 2005 to 13/14. Yes I was a glory hunting kid after Istanbul but I paid dearly for those years.

Worlds tiniest loving violin

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Butterfly Valley posted:

Worlds tiniest loving violin

Manchester United have only won four major trophies in the past decade, how do you think I feel?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Eric Cantonese posted:

I never knew about the rich family bit. This Vice piece gets into that a little:

All I can find from some extra Googling through our SEO-compromised information hellscape is that Mido's dad owns a travel agency, but also used to be a professional footballer.

Like the famous crouch line about being asked what he'd be if not a footballer mido said nothing because he was rich

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
:lol:

Apparently villa got some dodgy knock off kits. Can't they just get some more made?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/66932993

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Soccertriads unplugging the phone and stuffing money into briefcases

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Aren't Newcastle using Castore as well, are they having the same problems, or is it just the ones filled with claret ink that are broken?

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Newcastle are back to adidas

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

Not this season they aren’t.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

Too many stripes imo

nawilo_420
Nov 24, 2021
:redflag:
cant believe world renowned AAA sports brand castore (sp?), who've been in the game for
more than 7 years, could have quality issues with their kits

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Disco is not dead! Disco is LIFE!

I think my Dad owns some castore stuff so I just assumed it was a brand for old men who play Tennis/Golf

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty

Jippa posted:

:lol:

Apparently villa got some dodgy knock off kits. Can't they just get some more made?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/66932993

It's not a natural fibre. I think they would prefer cotton.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

I was under the impression that Castore exists solely to be bought out by someone else.

frameset
Apr 13, 2008

If the league carries on like this, it feels like a team might stay up on like 25 points.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

frameset posted:

If the league carries on like this, it feels like a team might stay up on like 25 points.

I was thinking this the other day, Southampton would be staying up if they were playing this season

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
but I don’t scream and I don’t shout
And I feel so proud
to be alive
every time Castore's lovely kits come up I look at their Wikipedia page

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Castore

quote:

The company was founded in 2015 by brothers Thomas (born September 1989) and Philip Beahon (born November 1992) when they were 25 and 22 years old respectively.[7] Tom had been a professional youth football player for Tranmere Rovers between the ages of 17 and 21 before spending time at Jerez Industrial in Spain and attending the Glenn Hoddle Academy.[7] Phil played semi-professional cricket for Cheshire and Lancashire cricket clubs.[7]

The pair left their playing careers in 2013 and moved to London to work in finance in an effort to raise money for their sportswear venture;[7] Tom worked at Lloyds Bank and Phil for Deloitte.[8] During their time in London they began their market research by interviewing patrons of high-end gymnasiums and signing up a number of prolific investors from the fashion and sporting industries.[7] Castore launched online in 2016.[7] In 2019 Forbes listed the pair in their "30 Under 30" list.[9]

"lol posted:

: Every garment has a five-year performance guarantee.

laughing at the idea of two 20something failsons of some rich dickhead leaving their whimsical sports careers to do lines in Canary Wharf for a couple years and raising millions of pounds to sell this poo poo

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Xabi posted:

It's not a natural fibre. I think they would prefer cotton.

Not letting this reference go unappreciated

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006

frameset posted:

I’m going to personally blame Sheffield United and Luton if Everton manage to stay up

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
but I don’t scream and I don’t shout
And I feel so proud
to be alive

Ziggy Tzardust posted:

I’m going to personally blame Sheffield United and Luton if Everton manage to stay up

same but chelsea

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Nuclear Spoon posted:

every time Castore's lovely kits come up I look at their Wikipedia page

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Castore

laughing at the idea of two 20something failsons of some rich dickhead leaving their whimsical sports careers to do lines in Canary Wharf for a couple years and raising millions of pounds to sell this poo poo

Nice the 30 under 30 fraud pipeline continues.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Isn't that whole thing pay to win anyway? Not even metaphorically.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Castore didn't just give everyone the same template all their Newcastle kits have been nice imo

nawilo_420
Nov 24, 2021
:redflag:
i mean, proper sports brands do non-template kits for big clubs... so yeah I can see why newcastle would go for castore

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Word on the streets (the villa forums I visit) is that Newcastle see villa as their biggest threat to top 4 so they paid off Castore to sabotage us by giving us poo poo kits.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Frankston posted:

Word on the streets (the villa forums I visit) is that Newcastle see villa as their biggest threat to top 4 so they paid off Castore to sabotage us by giving us poo poo kits.

Makes you think.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Jesus Christ I actually looked. Outside of the Luton game, Chelsea have scored 2 (Two) goals in the league.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Dudley posted:

Jesus Christ I actually looked. Outside of the Luton game, Chelsea have scored 2 (Two) goals in the league.

lol

J Hume
Apr 23, 2013

What is the best number?

Dudley posted:

With Fat Frank it was funny, now it's sort of sad. The fact that I'm feeling any sympathy for Chelsea is proof that we're in the bizarro timeline.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

It is funny. I'd be tempted to agree with people saying that they're only six games into the season and to give it time, but they're back to playing completely different teams each week when they'd probably be better just sticking with a squad for a few games even if a couple of individuals turn out to be shitter than the bench options. Utd have a pretty tame run of PL games which could take all the pressure off ten Hag in the sack race, leaving room for Poch to step up.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

They’d be doing really well if they blew some of that cash on one or two marquee players you could really build a club around. Imagine if they skipped three of those up-and-coming players and splurged on a Leao or Osimhen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

J Hume posted:

With Fat Frank it was funny, now it's sort of sad. The fact that I'm feeling any sympathy for Chelsea is proof that we're in the bizarro timeline.

It is still very funny op and not the least bit sad