Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

bawfuls posted:

well he's beaten the Cubs thrice in October so I guess we're already there

Future HOF candidate and reborn spirit of Greg Maddux (even though he's not dead) KYLE HENDRICKS had a thing or two to say about that in G6, thank you very much.

Non-meanspirited realtalk though: I think after expansion MLB should just totally blow away the concept of divisions and go to an NBA style strict NL/AL split with 16 teams in each league, top 6 records from each make the postseason and are seeded into a similar format they are now, maybe try to figure something out so that the higher seeded teams aren't iced for like a week while the lower seed WC's get to stay in a rhythm fighting it out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

illcendiary posted:

Most fans don't want a smaller postseason either
Hard to gauge this with baseball fans, but I agree that the smaller postseason ship has sailed

they could still recognize regular season greatness in addition to tournaments the way EU soccer has forever (and as baseball did for 50 years)

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Sydin posted:

Future HOF candidate and reborn spirit of Greg Maddux (even though he's not dead) KYLE HENDRICKS had a thing or two to say about that in G6, thank you very much.

Non-meanspirited realtalk though: I think after expansion MLB should just totally blow away the concept of divisions and go to an NBA style strict NL/AL split with 16 teams in each league, top 6 records from each make the postseason and are seeded into a similar format they are now, maybe try to figure something out so that the higher seeded teams aren't iced for like a week while the lower seed WC's get to stay in a rhythm fighting it out.
this would be an improvement but all the math says that baseball is just way too random and chaotic for this to really matter in the long run

My proposal is the same as it's been for years: award a pennant to the best record in each league as was intended, give them a trophy for it, stop calling the LCS winners the "pennant winners"

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

bawfuls posted:

tournaments are fun but I'm on record that I'd like the sport to celebrate greatness over a 6 month season (a thing it did for 50 years)

there are ways to do this without changing the postseason format but the league doesn't care because if it doesn't increase revenues next year then it's invisible to billionaires
I already forgot where I heard this, but someone recently said that if the knockout round playoffs bother you that much, just think of the entire season as the tournament, with the regular season as a really long group stage.

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost

bawfuls posted:

baseball will expand the postseason until there is a world series played between sub-.500 teams, complain that the ratings were low, then expand the postseason some more to get more tv money

Only nineteen years until the London Kings play the World Series in front of 300 fans!

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

CapnAndy posted:

I already forgot where I heard this, but someone recently said that if the knockout round playoffs bother you that much, just think of the entire season as the tournament, with the regular season as a really long group stage.
all that does is underscore the meaninglessness of the regular season, which is the opposite of what I'm aiming for

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

InsensitiveSeaBass posted:

Only nineteen years until the London Kings play the World Series in front of 300 fans!
Buck Bokai is supposed to be 4 years into his career for the Crenshaw Monarchs and Gotham City Bats by now

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

bawfuls posted:

all that does is underscore the meaninglessness of the regular season, which is the opposite of what I'm aiming for

The regular season is a lot more fun than the playoffs though. It's not meaningless, it's where everything happens.

Playoff baseball is extremely stressful and not as enjoyable as a Sunday day game in June with low stakes.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

bawfuls posted:

this would be an improvement but all the math says that baseball is just way too random and chaotic for this to really matter in the long run

My proposal is the same as it's been for years: award a pennant to the best record in each league as was intended, give them a trophy for it, stop calling the LCS winners the "pennant winners"

As a Capitals fan I am very proud of all those President’s Trophies!

(I am not proud of any of them)

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

I like the existence of the AL central. It's my favourite division in baseball

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

It's only an avatar if the Cubs get swept.
Alas, Philly was just a dirtbag fling and not a dirtbag boyfriend

Miz Kriss posted:

:rip: PLAYOFF LOSERS :rip:

• October 4, 2023
    The Tampa Bay Rays lose the Wild Card Series 0-2
    The Toronto Blue Jays lose the Wild Card Series 0-2
    The Milwaulkee Brewers lose the Wild Card Series 0-2
    The Miami Marlins lose the Wild Card Series 0-2

• October 10, 2023
    The Baltimore Orioles lose the Divisional Series 0-3

• October 11, 2023
    The Minnesota Twins lose the Divisional Series 1-3
    The Los Angeles Dodgers lose the Divisional Series 0-3

• October 12, 2023
    The Atlanta Braves lose the Divisional Series 1-3

• October 23, 2023
    The Houston Astros lose the Championship Series 3-4

• October 24, 2023
    The Philadelphia Phillies lose the Championship Series 3-4

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
i thought that the expanded playoffs were bullshit when they were announced but now that the dbacks are going to the world series and kicked the poo poo out of the dodgers along the way i have realized it actually loving rules

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Sab0921 posted:

The regular season is a lot more fun than the playoffs though. It's not meaningless, it's where everything happens.
it'd be more fun imo if everyone in and around the sport didn't constantly say that winning a championship is the only thing that matters, despite us all understanding that October baseball is pure unadulterated chaos

I genuinely think the European model is better, where there are multiple trophies that recognize different kinds of team achievements and there's not really a single "best team" crowned each year, except for the rare season where a team sweeps the major ones. It's a healthier approach to sports imo.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

maffew buildings posted:

i thought that the expanded playoffs were bullshit when they were announced but now that the dbacks are going to the world series and kicked the poo poo out of the dodgers along the way i have realized it actually loving rules

Are both teams the 6 seed?

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

CapnAndy posted:

I would counter-argue that any team who doesn't like it is free to bounce the 84 win negative run differential team right back out of the playoffs, and if they can't, then that says a lot more about your team than it does about them

people were razzing me for saying this in the GDT but I stand by it; showing up and playing hard counts a lot more than raw talent.

Agreed

It's not like the Diamondbacks lucked into the WS by winning one game. They had to play full series against a 3 opponents, 2 of them they swept. Those teams had home field advantage and the Diamondbacks still won, good for them.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Sab0921 posted:

Rangers were the 5 seed.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
With how volatile baseball is where you can have the worst team in the league sweep the best over a 3 game series I can see how losing the importance of the marathon season and making it even more of a crapshoot could be an issue

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned

Sab0921 posted:

one of them is the beat the poo poo out of your loser team in their park despite their bullpen being a constant 'can they not blow it challenge' seed. edit: for the record i think the astros, their fans and houston are losers regardless of if they're winning or not. gently caress houston, gently caress texas, go sneks

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

if we all love underdog cinderella stories so much, lets just hold a 30-team single-elimination tournament every October

imagine how funny it would be if the A's got hot at the right time this year

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

maffew buildings posted:

one of them is the beat the poo poo out of your loser team in their park despite their bullpen being a constant 'can they not blow it challenge' seed

Ok

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

That's a pretty weirdly aggressive post there

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Also part of building a team is one that can continue to be good over the long haul. Maybe your 100+ win team was really good over the regular season but didn't have the depth to make a strong push in the playoffs, that's a flaw that can be exposed.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

bawfuls posted:

This kinda invalidates the postseason though? And it's not like having the best record in your league necessarily means you're actually the "true" best team, since schedules aren't 100% balanced and a good team playing in a softer division could eek out more wins than a great team in a stronger one. Obviously that's not the case when you're talking about something like the 2023 Dodgers vs the 2023 D-Backs, but it does matter for something like the 2023 Dodgers vs the 2023 Braves or Phillies.

Unless you radically restructure how baseball seasons work, there's really no way to square the circle with baseball being a game that needs a shitload of games for an org's "true" ability to shake out but also that the postseason needs to wrap up in about a month and realistically you can't ask players health-wise to do much more than that before they need the offseason to start.

Anyway not to quote one of your posting enemies in my argument but I kinda agree with this take tbh as well:

Sab0921 posted:

Just because you didn't make or got bounced from the postseason doesn't mean what happened in the regular season had no purpose. You got to enjoy 100 Dodger regular season wins this year which kicks rear end. You're almost certainly going to get to enjoy another 100 next year and the year after that as well because your organization is loving stacked. If I could hit a button to make the Cubs just as sustainably successful in the regular season as the Dodgers BUT it comes with a significantly higher risk of bad luck/results in the postseason, I'd hit that button so goddamn fast and hard I'd have professional starcraft teams reaching out to recruit me over my apm.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.

maffew buildings posted:

one of them is the beat the poo poo out of your loser team in their park despite their bullpen being a constant 'can they not blow it challenge' seed. edit: for the record i think the astros, their fans and houston are losers regardless of if they're winning or not. gently caress houston, gently caress texas, go sneks

Houston is a great city friend

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Popete posted:

Also part of building a team is one that can continue to be good over the long haul. Maybe your 100+ win team was really good over the regular season but didn't have the depth to make a strong push in the playoffs, that's a flaw that can be exposed.
Can you give an example of this? Not as in a specific team that won 100 and sucked poo poo in October (obvious) but an example of team traits that would predictably lead to 100 wins but also predictable fail in October.

I don't think there is such a thing as teams "built" for October vs "built" for the regular season. You build the best team you can and roll the dice.

If anything the regular season rewards depth more than October does, since there are more off days and teams tend to push their best guys harder.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Dodgers are an example where their pitching fell apart second half, sure that wasn't necessarily the fault of roster construction (you could argue they didn't replace depth after losing Bauer) but they were a really good team that until the end of the year when they just didn't have starting pitching. I mean Lance Lynn started their final game.

The season is a grind and a lot of guys tend to slow down near the end, Diamondbacks are a young team and that might translate to being able to handle that grind and recuperate for the playoffs. I just don't think it's fair to say that because they weren't the best team during the regular season that invalidates that they played better than everyone else in the playoffs.

Edit: I realized you weren't asking for a specific team it's just as you stated the obvious one. But you could build a team for depth with a strong bullpen and maybe not dominate ace starters but 5-6 guys who are solid thru the rotation. Picking utility and platoon guys who keep you competitive when inevitable injuries or off days come up.

Popete fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Oct 25, 2023

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I think there are some examples of being built for the postseason versus being built for the regular season. Having two or three truly elite starters instead of five or six that are a step below. Having a complete shutdown setup man and closer instead of a deep bullpen. Having an extremely powerful lineup but only mediocre starting pitching

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Sydin posted:

This kinda invalidates the postseason though? And it's not like having the best record in your league necessarily means you're actually the "true" best team, since schedules aren't 100% balanced and a good team playing in a softer division could eek out more wins than a great team in a stronger one. Obviously that's not the case when you're talking about something like the 2023 Dodgers vs the 2023 D-Backs, but it does matter for something like the 2023 Dodgers vs the 2023 Braves or Phillies.

Unless you radically restructure how baseball seasons work, there's really no way to square the circle with baseball being a game that needs a shitload of games for an org's "true" ability to shake out but also that the postseason needs to wrap up in about a month and realistically you can't ask players health-wise to do much more than that before they need the offseason to start.

No, this is just awarding different trophies for different things. Same as EU soccer.

You had the best record in the regular season, you get a trophy. (EPL league champ)
You win the tournament, you get a different trophy (Champions League champ)
They even have multiple tournaments with additional trophies! (FA Cup)

To really stand out, you win all three in a single year. But that's rare. Most years they get split, and that's ok. Because most years there isn't a single team that's just The Best Period. I realize this is anathema to American culture, but once I came to understand it, I couldn't help but believe it is a better, more textured way to enjoy and think of sports.

Pennant Winner - noteworthy achiement, banner worthy
World Series Winner - noteworthy achievement, banner worthy

win both in the same year - historically great season, crow about it for years

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Popete posted:

Dodgers are an example where their pitching fell apart second half, sure that wasn't necessarily the fault of roster construction (you could argue they didn't replace depth after losing Bauer) but they were a really good team that until the end of the year when they just didn't have starting pitching. I mean Lance Lynn started their final game.

The season is a grind and a lot of guys tend to slow down near the end, Diamondbacks are a young team and that might translate to being able to handle that grind and recuperate for the playoffs. I just don't think it's fair to say that because they weren't the best team during the regular season that invalidates that they played better than everyone else in the playoffs.
I'd argue the Dodgers were a flawed team from the get-go and were very lucky to win 100 games this year.

I don't think something about their roster construction made them better in the regular season than in October.

I don't think their regular season record "invalidates" their play this month. They won the games, they deserve to be where they are.

But I also don't think they're special. I don't think there's some secret sauce they turned on when the calendar flipped. I think any of the 12 teams in the tournament were capable of doing what they did. Because that is how baseball works, over any small handful of games anything can happen. We know this from well over a century of baseball. It's still exciting when upsets happen, it makes for great narratives.

I just don't like that we all simultaneously know October is barely more than a series of chaotic coin flips, and still all pretend like surviving that sequence is some proof of Greatness or the only thing worth celebrating. It should be celebrated. But we should also celebrate some other truly remarkable and difficult accomplishments. Like the 2001 Mariners season should be a much bigger deal in the historical consciousness of Baseball than it is. What they did is so much harder than what most World Series champions have done, but it's little more than a trivia question or a sick joke because all anyon remembers is they got bounced by the Yankees.

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Oct 25, 2023

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

seems like having an absolutely nails bullpen with like 4 legit Guys is always helpful, but it is impossible to tell if a bullpen guy is going to be good year to year

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

bawfuls posted:

I'd argue the Dodgers were a flawed team from the get-go and were very lucky to win 100 games this year.

I don't think something about their roster construction made them better in the regular season than in October.

That's what I mean though, they feel like a team that played above what you would have expected in the regular season and that lack of depth really bit them in the play offs. But why is that more valid than the Diamondbacks being a mediocre team in the regular season but had the depth to outplay their opponents in the playoffs?

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

illcendiary posted:

Houston is a great city friend

Agreed. Houston, Atlanta, Philly. That's it for this country.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

my formula for winning october baseball is having

two legit aces neither of whom are clayton kershaw
a very good third starter
an absolute holy poo poo you don't want to face this guy MVP caliber hitter
three other really good hitters
at least two mediocre hitters who are absolute loving dirtbags and make you throw a million pitches
only one guy who absolutely loving sucks
a guy who usually sucks but for some reason is on fire in the playoffs
three bullpen guys who don't make fans nervous as hell

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

R.D. Mangles posted:

at least two mediocre hitters who are absolute loving dirtbags and make you throw a million pitches

The Nats won a world series with two aces and two bullpen guys and that's it.

Their line up was Soto, Rendon and some guys.

Tbh - it was insane.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

they also had trea turner

and eaton filledt he dirtbag fouling off role perfectly

gomes and kendrick filled the other good hitters roles

sounds pretty much like the blueprint tbh

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Popete posted:

That's what I mean though, they feel like a team that played above what you would have expected in the regular season and that lack of depth really bit them in the play offs. But why is that more valid than the Diamondbacks being a mediocre team in the regular season but had the depth to outplay their opponents in the playoffs?
I don't think the Dbacks are notably deep, they're a pretty good team the way basically all postseason teams are pretty good. They've played well this month and that counts for a lot with the way we treat these things.

It is harder to win 100 games over 6 months than it is to win 13 in October. That's just baseball. In a sense, the Dodgers got luckier to win 100 games this season with a 90-win true talent roster than the Dbacks did to win 3 rounds with an 84-win team.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

R.D. Mangles posted:

a guy who usually sucks but for some reason is on fire in the playoffs
The Dbacks have like 3 of these maybe

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

thinking about rocktober and how when the magic wore off the rockies got absolutely demolished by the sox

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

bawfuls posted:

The Dbacks have like 3 of these maybe

that is true, they're a team made up entirely of annoying little dirtbag guys

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

bawfuls posted:

I don't think the Dbacks are notably deep, they're a pretty good team the way basically all postseason teams are pretty good. They've played well this month and that counts for a lot with the way we treat these things.

It is harder to win 100 games over 6 months than it is to win 13 in October. That's just baseball. In a sense, the Dodgers got luckier to win 100 games this season with a 90-win true talent roster than the Dbacks did to win 3 rounds with an 84-win team.

Diamondbacks are 10-3 in the playoffs so really think of them as a 94-81 team :science: