Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

If there were an actual formula for October baseball then we'd see teams clustering around said formula. But that's not what happens. Sometimes it's the 2015 Royals with 3 lights-out pen arms and elite defense. Sometimes it's the 2019 Nationals with like literally 4 pitchers they trust who somehow pitch every game that matters. Sometimes it's the 2022 Astros with a lineup that simply refuses to strike out while also hitting for power. Sometimes it's the 2021 Braves with an outfield of Random Dudes they picked up at the deadline who play out of their mind for a month. Sometimes David Eckstein wins World Series MVP. Sometimes a rookie with a 5.72 ERA, 1.4 WHIP, and negative WAR gives up just 2 runs in 9.2 innings.

There is no formula. It's just a chaotic tournament that can be fun as hell because of that chaos. This is something that we all (people who follow baseball) fundamentally know.

I just wish the culture around the sport also recognized this to some small degree, and I think the soccer model offers a view of a different culture that does this better.

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Oct 25, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

R.D. Mangles posted:

my formula for winning october baseball is having

two legit aces neither of whom are clayton kershaw
a very good third starter
an absolute holy poo poo you don't want to face this guy MVP caliber hitter
three other really good hitters
at least two mediocre hitters who are absolute loving dirtbags and make you throw a million pitches
only one guy who absolutely loving sucks
a guy who usually sucks but for some reason is on fire in the playoffs
three bullpen guys who don't make fans nervous as hell

This is just the Twins and it didn't turn out so well in the second round

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

R.D. Mangles posted:

at least two mediocre hitters who are absolute loving dirtbags and make you throw a million pitches

So, for the Cubs in 2016 that would have been:

- Arrieta and Lester
- Hendricks
- Kris Bryant
- Rizzo, Zobrist and Fowler
- Contreras and Baez
- Heyward
- Montero
- Cahill, Wood and Strop

?

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

R.D. Mangles posted:

The Dodgers won with two aces one of whom was in fact Clayton Kershaw :colbert:

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Timby posted:

So, for the Cubs in 2016 that would have been:

- Arrieta and Lester
- Hendricks
- Kris Bryant
- Rizzo, Zobrist and Fowler
- Contreras and Baez
- Heyward
- Montero
- Cahill, Wood and Strop

?

Wrong, Heyward has an 80 Locker Room Speech tool.

Pobrecito
Jun 16, 2020

hasta que la muerte nos separe
Baseball is just too random in small sample sizes (like the playoffs) to ever really be predictable. Even the 2001 Mariners lost 46 games in the regular season. They had a 4 game losing streak during the regular season, went to game 5 in the ALDS vs a team that won 25 less games than them and got their asses handed to them 4-1 in the ALCS vs a team that won 21 less games than them.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

Intruder posted:

they also had trea turner

Trea Turner is dogshit garbage

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

the formula for winning playoff baseball is not go back to craig kimbrel one night after him demonstrating to the whole rear end world that his arm is shot to hell

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

bawfuls posted:

mcmagic is correct that an 84-win negative run differential team should not ever be in position to play in a world series, but the time for that particular objection was at the end of september

The Cubs went 1-6 against the DBacks in September so it's kinda hard to argue that they deserved it more because they had a much better run differential.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

shyduck posted:

the formula for winning playoff baseball is not go back to craig kimbrel one night after him demonstrating to the whole rear end world that his arm is shot to hell

it's crazy because he still throws 97 and that wicked slider, but guys are just teeing off on him like it's BP, 2023 baseball is nuts.

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020

bawfuls posted:

The Dodgers won with two aces one of whom was in fact Clayton Kershaw :colbert:

2020 wasnt a real World Series lol

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

A Buffer Gay Dude posted:

2020 wasnt a real World Series lol

It involved the Rays choking it away horribly that is pretty real to me

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020
Kershaw not having to pitch in front of a crowd and finally “getting it done” is just the funniest thing

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

shyduck posted:

It's funny how we got the Cash/Thomson meme with the "lol gonna put kimbrel in" thing but the meaning has changed completely since before the NLCS

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

I'll eventually let go of the bats going cold in Games 6/7. I'm not all that mad about it, just disappointed, and it'll pass.

Game 4 is etched in my brain and is probably the most incredulous I've ever been as a sports fan. It was a slow motion train wreck, and everybody, EVERYBODY, saw what was happening (well except for Thomson), from the moment Sanchez was yanked prematurely onward. Maybe this is why I'm handling things better today around here than perhaps most, because I think I knew deep down that was where they gave it all away.

shyduck fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Oct 25, 2023

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

Intruder posted:

thinking about rocktober and how when the magic wore off the rockies got absolutely demolished by the sox

Look at that pitching staff lmao: Jeff Francis, Josh Fogg, Aaron Cook, Ubaldo Jimenez

Miracle they even won a series never mind two

Incitatus
Dec 16, 2005

The Meat Man was out of wings, Mr. William Ash More!:argh:

Nodoze posted:

Look at that pitching staff lmao: Jeff Francis, Josh Fogg, Aaron Cook, Ubaldo Jimenez

Miracle they even won a series never mind two

DO NOT talk poo poo about josh fogg

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

A Buffer Gay Dude posted:

2017 wasnt a real World Series lol

:hmmyes:

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
list of real world series (modern era) - 1972-1974, 1989, 2001, 2003, 2016, ????

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

1955, 1957, 1960, 1963, 1964, 1976, 1981, 2001, 2003

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

maffew buildings posted:

list of real world series (modern era) - 1972-1974, 1989, 2001, 2003, 2016, ????

89 was made invalid by a natural disaster. 88 was much more legit

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet
2011 was real good and funny too.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
actually the record clearly shows 2011 was a national tragedy and extremely bad

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

For The Perfect Fruit 'n' Kaman

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Fill with pineapple juice
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice
I’m a week late as I was on vacation at the right time. Leave after Altuve’s homer, didn’t watch a second of either blowout.

This year’s Astros team could hardly be described as bad. Their shortcomings this year simply boiled down to regression and injuries. While you could point to a few suboptimal moves and roster decisions throughout the year, Dusty was pretty low on the list of problems. I doubt that Dusty was telling every pitcher to walk more guys and give up more dingers.

Regression: The biggest reason the Astros went from a 106 win team that cruised through the playoffs to a 90 win team that flamed out at the end of the ALCS was guys that played well last year simply didn’t this year, at least not consistently. Framber and Javier were both terrible for stretches. JV (who we’ll just pretend that Mets stint didn’t happen) had some small regression you’d expect with his age, but was far less pronounced than the other two. Hunter Brown’s arm could not withstand his first full season. On the hitting side, last year’s rookie sensation Jeremy Peña hit the sophomore slump hard and was arguably a worse bat than Maldy by September. Maldy himself regressed to a permanently sub-Mendoza hitter and lost the last of his defense as well. I’m very skeptical that he actually had the ability to “call a game” better than an average MLB catcher based on the SP performances this year.

Injuries: The season began with Altuve on the shelf from a broken thumb sustained at the end of the WBC. He came back for about a week, then immediately missed another month with an oblique strain. Yordan missed nearly 2 months with an oblique strain as well. Brantley didn’t see the field until the season was nearly over. All played great when healthy, so it’s hard to imagine that both of them missing extended time early in the season cost some games that would’ve made the home stretch easier to manage. Jose Abreu played hurt for way too long and was dreadful the first half of the season. On the pitching side, Luis Garcia earned his TJS rite of passage very early in the season. Lance McCullers did not even get his usual 3 month furlough from the IL this year. Montero got a massive contract as a bullpen guy and immediately reminded everyone why few bullpen arms get such deals.

Positives: The bullpen was still mostly good despite Montero. Bryan Abreu and Pressly have been consistent for multiple seasons and will be back next year. Extended playing time for Dubon showed he’s a viable bottom of the order guy instead of a “why does he ever see the field guy” as he seemed last year. Yainer Diaz came out of nowhere to show a ton of promise as a future catcher. Chas McCormick showed he can be an everyday player. Corey Julks flashed some potential early and could well be a major league player with a bit more seasoning. JP France was a nice surprise filling in at SP. He was never expected to be in that role, so no one should be mad that his arm couldn’t hold up all year.

Overall, this is just a slightly down year for a good core. There is no reason to not run it back with mostly the same group. Trust that the off-season and right coaching will help Framber, Cristian, and Jeremy bounce back. Please lock Kyle Tucker down. Maybe sign a value outfield bat so Dubon isn’t overexposed. Sign whatever pen guys you need. It doesn’t matter who takes the manager job in the slightest. The team performed equally under Hinch and Dusty. Just let Dana Brown steer the ship and keep Grigori Bagwell out of Crane’s ear.

Legendary Ptarmigan
Sep 21, 2007

Need a light?

bawfuls posted:

Can you give an example of this? Not as in a specific team that won 100 and sucked poo poo in October (obvious) but an example of team traits that would predictably lead to 100 wins but also predictable fail in October.

Building an offense around slow position players all aiming to hit home runs but who cannot move around the bases at all. Get a guy on 1B -> Hit a 2-run homerun off some team's 4-5th starter and solo shots galore will win 80-100 games and will get absolutely dominated in the first two rounds when you just see the top 3 starters and top half of the opposition's bullpen.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

But you basically described the Phillies who have been really successful the last two postseasons.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Blind Pineapple posted:

I’m very skeptical that he actually had the ability to “call a game” better than an average MLB catcher based on the SP performances this year.

Even if they think Maldy's game calling abilities are elite there's no reason they can't hire him as a coach and have him call games from the dugout (although that would require actual signs, I don't think you're allowed to use pitchcom from the dugout?)

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

The Phillies were strikeout prone all season long and it feels like the book is out on them now. I don't think they need to anything crazy yet with the roster yet, the window is still wide open, but maybe they can start by trying someone new at leadoff again. Give Stott a crack at it again and stick with it. No disrespect to Schwarber but trying to solo shot your way to a chip is just not gonna happen

shyduck fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Oct 30, 2023

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Schwarber had a perfectly find OBP this year, I thought the whole point of him batting leadoff was that he walks a ton and has a good eye

He had 126 walks this season

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

True contract hitters in the vein of guys like Boggs and Gwynn just don't exist in the numbers they used to. Launch angles and hit velocity has ruined that mindset

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

MrMidnight posted:

True contract hitters in the vein of guys like Boggs and Gwynn just don't exist in the numbers they used to. Launch angles and hit velocity has ruined that mindset

launch angle aka "hit line drives" and exit velocity aka "hit them hard" have been the gameplan for contact hitters literally forever. ted williams talks about it in the science of hitting.

there is more focus on home runs now, especially in the postseason, because pitchers are very good at getting strikeouts, because a strikeout is an "unproductive out". it's harder to string together a few hits in an inning to drive in runs, so home runs become a more reliable way of scoring.

this isn't "players are too dumb to hit for average like they used to" it's "in the current era of baseball, power is more valuable for scoring runs than it was 40 years ago"

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Launch angle is about turning line drives into fly balls so that when you hit them hard they go over the fence instead of into it

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Intruder posted:

Schwarber had a perfectly find OBP this year, I thought the whole point of him batting leadoff was that he walks a ton and has a good eye

He had 126 walks this season
He also struck out a lot, like more than anyone else this season. It's weird, it's like he can only do one of 3 things and he'll do them reliably. But my big issue is once he's on base, he's just slow and everyone knows it. Stott"s OBP wasn't too far off Schwarber's and did more of it with his bat, and he the led the team in steals (31 vs. 0 for Schwarber).

My intention wasn't to sleight Schwarber, but I just feel like they can get more out of this team.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Stott's OBP was .747 compared to Schwarber's .817, plus he hit into 6 more double plays, and hit 32 fewer home runs, with 44 fewer RBIs and 87 fewer walks.

Now, it should be noted that Stott and Schwarber had DID have the same number of ABs, but Schwarbs had 80 more PAs, which is notable because Schwarbs was only up roughly the amount of times more one would expect given he appeared in more games, but he was more productive and made fewer outs even though he struck out nearly twice the number of times Stott did. Hell, he was even IBB'd five times vs. Stott's once.

There's no universe where Stott and Schwarber's batting contributions are similar unless you're looking solely at strikeouts.

Now, if you want to talk about how Schwarber is a loving boat anchor of a fielder vs Stott, there you've got an argument.

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

It's only an avatar if the Cubs get swept.
The season is over. Here’s the full list of losing teams

Miz Kriss posted:

:rip: TIMELINE OF LOSERS :rip:

• August 23, 2023
    The Oakland Athletics are eliminated from playoff contention.

• August 30, 2023
    The Kansas City Royals are eliminated from playoff contention.

• September 7 8, 2023
    The Colorado Rockies are eliminated from playoff contention

• September 10, 2023
    The Chicago White Sox are eliminated from playoff contention

• September 17, 2023
    The Los Angeles Angels are eliminated from playoff contention

• September 18, 2023
    The Washington Nationals are eliminated from playoff contention

• September 19, 2023
    The St Louis Cardinals are eliminated from playoff contention

• September 20, 2023
    The Boston Red Sox are eliminated from playoff contention

• September 22, 2023
    The New York Mets are eliminated from playoff contention
    The Cleveland Guardians are eliminated from playoff contention
    The Detroit Tigers are eliminated from playoff contention

• September 24, 2023
    The New York Yankees are eliminated from playoff contention

• September 26, 2023
    The San Francisco Giants are eliminated from playoff contention

• September 29, 2023
    The San Diego Padres are eliminated from playoff contention

• September 30, 2023
    The Chicago Cubs are eliminated from playoff contention
    Playoff brackets are set

:rip: PLAYOFF LOSERS :rip:

• October 4, 2023
    The Tampa Bay Rays lose the Wild Card Series 0-2
    The Toronto Blue Jays lose the Wild Card Series 0-2
    The Milwaulkee Brewers lose the Wild Card Series 0-2
    The Miami Marlins lose the Wild Card Series 0-2

• October 10, 2023
    The Baltimore Orioles lose the Divisional Series 0-3

• October 11, 2023
    The Minnesota Twins lose the Divisional Series 1-3
    The Los Angeles Dodgers lose the Divisional Series 0-3

• October 12, 2023
    The Atlanta Braves lose the Divisional Series 1-3

• October 23, 2023
    The Houston Astros lose the Championship Series 3-4

• October 24, 2023
    The Philadelphia Phillies lose the Championship Series 3-4

• November 1, 2023
    The Arizona Diamondbacks lose the World Series 1-4

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

Miz Kriss posted:

The season is over. Here’s the full list of losing teams

Mariners still in it. Refuse to Lose, baby!

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

The real losers: Fox Sports

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
If it was easier to watch, I'd watch more of it. I'll accept my consulting fee, Fox.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
The real winner is Madison Bumgarner