Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LongTimeFirstTime
Sep 29, 2021
Yep, the 2023 Astros are now more dead than the Astrodome (which is more dormant than dead... long may it stand!). Thanks for having us here!

Intruder posted:

To be frank, even though losing the last two at home sucked I had no faith in the team even getting to this point with a couple weeks to go in the season while they were busy getting swept by the Royals and were the least likely to make the playoffs out of the Rangers, M's and Jays before the series against the M's so even being able to watch and cheer for my favorite team all the way to game 7 of the championship series (though I didn't get a chance to do much cheering in game 7 itself) was nice

Losing by 9-2 and 11-4 (at home) in games 6 and 7 of the 2023 ALCS didn't feel as bad as I remember losing games 6 and 7 (at home) of the 2019 WS did...

Tho I can't remember the exact scores off hand (pretty sure both were much closer), the travesty that was game 7 that year (and AJ Hinch not bringing in Cole) was much more painful.

Which is kinda funny since I didn't begrudge the Nationals beating us to win their first WS... whereas I really don't want the Rangers to go on to win their first WS this year (I'm fine with them winning it, just not in a year they destroyed us in the ALCS first... wounds too fresh and raw).

So maybe it just sucks to lose a WS narrowly more?

Games 3+4+5 felt more fun this time around than in DC in 2019, tho.... am I correct in remembering an epic Bregman grand slam? That was pretty badass, if so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
yeah bregman had a big blast and also the nats fans rightly booed the gently caress out of trump

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Ugh guess I have to post here now.

Hey bawfuls how ya doin

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

GOMS

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Kirios posted:

Ugh guess I have to post here now.

Hey bawfuls how ya doin
doing great looking forward to an enjoyable World Series

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

I love Dusty too death but he was the wrong manager this year. Too many weird decisions.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Sorry I meant "gut calls"

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
We won last year in spite of Dusty because of unsustainable performances from several people. With regression this year, his management was too much to overcome

If the pitching simply regresses the other way next year we'll still be quite viable contenders, so I'm not despairing or anything, the window isn't closed, but get Dusty Baker the gently caress out of here

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.
Honest question -- does anyone attribute their World Series win to good managing? I know Cubs fans have a complicated relationship with Maddon, same with LA and Roberts, and now Dusty. When was the last time someone was like, "Oh thank goodness they're pushing all the right buttons"...?

Also this question reminds me of when Davey Martinez did an interview about their offense struggling and he said they just needed to score more "points." Was convinced he was kind of an idiot, and then he won a World Series. :v:

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

I unironically believe Dave Roberts managed a masterful Game 6 in 2020. He used 7 pitchers who collectively allowed just 1 run, and the run came early.

The fact that Kevin Cash became the manager story of that game is a testament to how perfectly (and thus invisibly) Roberts deployed his pitching.

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
AJ Hinch leaving Charlie Morton in to finish off game 7 in 2017 is an example of a manager going with his gut and it working

But you can find a ton more examples of managers loving it up, of course, there was the time Pedro Martinez was left in too long in I think 2003 as just one of many many many examples, last year bringing in Robbie Ray to face Yordan Alvarez, etc

But in this particular case you have the egregiousness of playing arguably the worst catcher in all of baseball constantly over an objectively better player, insisting on putting Montero into games, not using Chas McCormick enough, it goes on and on.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Bregor posted:

Honest question -- does anyone attribute their World Series win to good managing? I know Cubs fans have a complicated relationship with Maddon, same with LA and Roberts, and now Dusty. When was the last time someone was like, "Oh thank goodness they're pushing all the right buttons"...?

Also this question reminds me of when Davey Martinez did an interview about their offense struggling and he said they just needed to score more "points." Was convinced he was kind of an idiot, and then he won a World Series. :v:

Maddon mismanaged the hell out of WS games 6 and 7, but he also ran circles around Bochy in NLDS G4. Bochy had no closer and everybody knew it, and once it was clear he was super twitchy on the bullpen trigger Maddon pulled the Russell -> Coghlan -> Contreras PH circus which got one of the Cubs hottest bats up to the plate in a platoon advantage and two pitches later Contreras tied the game.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Yeah the 2023 Houston Astros...should have been a lot better than they were. A team that should have won 100 games only winning 90 - even if they made it to the ALCS, can be infuriating. Especially when the blame for that largely falls on the manager.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Well, the manager and the Oakland A's.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Tbh I'm not sure that Singleton PH was the wrong call, he had a drat good AB

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Wayne Knight posted:

Well, the manager and the Oakland A's.

More the Royals than the A's. Only lost 2 of 3 to the A's, lost 5 of 6 to the Royals

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.
Astro bad very sad.

Bawfuls come fight with me in here to make me happy again.

Or McMagic or whatever I dont care.

Go Stros.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

e: wrongthread

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

WELCOME PHILLIES!

You're just like the rest of us.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
That is a rough one for the Phillies. Baseball's playoff system is completely broken.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.
Ok so the Phillies are dogshit garbage.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

mcmagic posted:

That is a rough one for the Phillies. Baseball's playoff system is completely broken.

Actually it owns OP

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.

mcmagic posted:

How the gently caress are you wrong about everything lmao. Randomly a Phillies sympathizer??

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Ugh I can’t believe I’m going to root for the d-bags

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

mcmagic is correct that an 84-win negative run differential team should not ever be in position to play in a world series, but the time for that particular objection was at the end of september

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

bawfuls posted:

mcmagic is correct that an 84-win negative run differential team should not ever be in position to play in a world series, but the time for that particular objection was at the end of september
I would counter-argue that any team who doesn't like it is free to bounce the 84 win negative run differential team right back out of the playoffs, and if they can't, then that says a lot more about your team than it does about them

people were razzing me for saying this in the GDT but I stand by it; showing up and playing hard counts a lot more than raw talent.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Beating Milwaukee, LA, and Philly is objectively hilarious. The system works

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

All playoffs are bullshit frankly, complaining about the format is just splitting hairs. As long as we have this stupid system might as well live with it, not like it's a surprise to any of the players

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

CapnAndy posted:

I would counter-argue that any team who doesn't like it is free to bounce the 84 win negative run differential team right back out of the playoffs

Yeah pretty much. Whining about how the D-Backs shouldn't have even been there rings pretty loving hollow when the teams that "should" have been there get stone cold beaten by them in the postseason.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

Let's not forget that they blew the last series of the year and got swept by the Astros which vaulted them from out of the playoffs to the division title.

D'backs are good people.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

baseball will expand the postseason until there is a world series played between sub-.500 teams, complain that the ratings were low, then expand the postseason some more to get more tv money

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

CapnAndy posted:

I would counter-argue that any team who doesn't like it is free to bounce the 84 win negative run differential team right back out of the playoffs, and if they can't, then that says a lot more about your team than it does about them

people were razzing me for saying this in the GDT but I stand by it; showing up and playing hard counts a lot more than raw talent.
tournaments are fun but I'm on record that I'd like the sport to celebrate greatness over a 6 month season (a thing it did for 50 years)

there are ways to do this without changing the postseason format but the league doesn't care because if it doesn't increase revenues next year then it's invisible to billionaires

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

bawfuls posted:

tournaments are fun but I'm on record that I'd like the sport to celebrate greatness over a 6 month season (a thing it did for 50 years)

there are ways to do this without changing the postseason format but the league doesn't care because if it doesn't increase revenues next year then it's invisible to billionaires

Most fans don't want a smaller postseason either

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

bawfuls posted:

baseball will expand the postseason until there is a world series played between sub-.500 teams, complain that the ratings were low, then expand the postseason some more to get more tv money

How low does the bar have to go for the first seed Dodgers to get matched up against a team Kershaw could actually beat in October? :v:

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

Sydin posted:

How low does the bar have to go for the first seed Dodgers to get matched up against a team Kershaw could actually beat in October? :v:

He had a CGSO this postseason.

Couldn't get single out.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Sydin posted:

well he's beaten the Cubs thrice in October so I guess we're already there

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Sydin posted:

You chose violence lol

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

bawfuls posted:

the problem with ratings (who cares) is not that the dbacks are .500 is that they are the diamondbacks. i guarantee you a world series between an 81 win cubs team against like an 85-win red sox team would have people watching it, on television

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

bawfuls posted:

The ratings for this one are already gonna be rough

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

R.D. Mangles posted:

the problem with ratings (who cares) is not that the dbacks are .500 is that they are the diamondbacks. i guarantee you a world series between an 81 win cubs team against like an 85-win red sox team would have people watching it, on television
yes and no, I believe research has shown that casual sports fans do tend to tune in more when there are juggernauts, if for no other reason than to see them fall