Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

homphgomph
Nov 23, 2007

So that's what that feels like

Hi there friends! I'm homphgomph (Joe), my sister ginko (Katie) along with my good buddy zelgadisA027123 (Jesse) will be playing through the main campaign of Call of Duty Black Ops III

Why Call of Duty? Why Black Ops 3 of all games?
Valid question and honestly, this let’s play was conceptualized so long ago that I’m not really sure the reasoning for Black Ops 3 outside of, hey it’s fun to play through co-op shooting games together, I have fun editing the footage, the cut scenes are kind of bonkers, and some other things…

Is there anything else different about this playthrough?
Yes. We will be using this mod and I have edited an anime style intro/ending, after episode 1 there will be a intro/ending cut and a version without in case you don’t want to see it every update. Other than that it’s just a co-op playthrough with multiple angles for extra action

There’s a whole Zombie thing in this too, will you be playing that?
We’ll be trying out some of that and some of the…interesting Steam Workshop maps out there as well. Not going to commit to a whole playthrough of every map but if it’s fun we’ll keep at it.

One other thing to note-
:siren:This is a chill fun and/or silly playthrough, we will talk over cutscenes typically:siren:

When will you be posting updates?
Updates will go live Mondays! I try to keep it around noon central.

Also hey, sort of unrelated but if you like our chill vibes - We also stream 3 nights a week

Playlist with Opening/Ending ///// Playlist with no Intro or Ending

Episode 1 - More Waifu Than Man
Episode 2 - The Fart Heard 'Round the World ////// No intro/ending
Episode 3 - Jesse Needs to be Revived ////// No intro/ending
Episode 4 - Coming In Hot ////// No intro/ending
Episode 5 - Proper Grenade Usage ////// No intro/ending
Episode 6 - You Got Red On You ////// No intro/ending
Episode 7 - Like a Potato ////// No intro/ending
Episode 8 - Canonical Zombies ////// No intro/ending
Episode 9 - Joe! Stop This Crazy Thing!! ////// No intro/ending
Episode 10 - Imagine Yourself In a Frozen Forest ////// No intro/ending
Episode 11 - Taylor

homphgomph fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Nov 21, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homphgomph
Nov 23, 2007

Saved for stuff

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
This is very kowaii desu

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Wow it's really weird seeing someone other than Leal running a Neptunia LP.

It's weird finally seeing one of the BLOPS games in action. How y'all manage to stand playing an FPS with a controller is beyond me though.

Looking forward to seeing the rest of the plot as it gets laid out!

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Wow, that outro was surprisingly metal gear

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013
The last COD game I played was CODBLOPS 1 - and I don't think I've watched an LP of CODBLOPS 3 (COD all kind of blends together after a while) - but I can already tell that with this mod, you're taking the game exactly as seriously as it warrants.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

I missed this because i see codblops and my eyes slide right off the page

Lmao this is good

Mildly Interesting
Nov 24, 2012
I already can't imagine playing a military FPS without this mod. Those huge eyes, shining in the dark... chilling stuff.

azren
Feb 14, 2011

Antistar01 posted:

but I can already tell that with this mod, you're taking the game exactly as seriously as it warrants.

Yeah, that's pretty much what I was thinking. These games have gotten to taking themselves way too seriously as far as I can tell.

homphgomph
Nov 23, 2007

Evil Kit posted:

How y'all manage to stand playing an FPS with a controller is beyond me though.

I have also questioned Jesse's choice of playing with a controller, I suppose I initially played COD4 back in the day with a controller but if I have an fps on PC I gotta do mouse.

Jobbo_Fett posted:

This is very kowaii desu

:3

Antistar01 posted:

but I can already tell that with this mod, you're taking the game exactly as seriously as it warrants.

It was an uphill struggle to get Katie to play a COD, the entire time I was just saying "no trust me"

Mildly Interesting posted:

I already can't imagine playing a military FPS without this mod. Those huge eyes, shining in the dark... chilling stuff.

The girls models are too short for some of the camera angles, which I think is hilarious though you do miss some of the very funny lip syncs

Time for Episode 2! From here on out I've made two versions of the episode, one with the anine-style intro and outro, one without so choose whichever you'd prefer

Episode 2 - The Fart Heard 'Round the World ////// No intro/ending

Also here's the intro and outro if you'd like!

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

homphgomph posted:

one with the anine-style intro

In my heart I hope you misspelled "asinine"

homphgomph
Nov 23, 2007

bbcisdabomb posted:

In my heart I hope you misspelled "asinine"

This is very funny and I'm not going to correct it

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
The intro and outro are incredible. Anime of the year

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Call of Duty: Infinite Trauma

Mildly Interesting
Nov 24, 2012
I'm so relieved the train didn't go boom.

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013
Haven't had time to watch the whole video yet, but you know what, I think I have watched an LP of CODBLOPS 3 before at some point. I remember the part on the train reminding me a lot of the movie Source Code.

Also, I feel bad for skipping through the intro/outro bits because of the great editing in them, but - and I know the extremely trad J-Pop is part of the joke, but, but... I can't do it, man. :barf:

I loathe anime-intro-style J-Pop. Unless it's something like the mould-breaking Watamote intro, or the classic and wonderfully unhinged Azumanga Daioh intro, or, like, probably the various Ghost in the Shell intros, I just can't stand it.

(I mean really there's got to be lots of exceptions out there, but you know what I mean.)

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012
Thank you for making me laugh.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Antistar01 posted:

I loathe anime-intro-style J-Pop.

Yeah totally fair.
A lot of it is just formulaic.

You know exactly how the song will go: Train go boom

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

I know we won't see it but IIRC one of the major selling points at the time this came out was the fact it was one of the games that did performance capture for the first time.

Christopher Meloni and Kate Sackoff were the two biggest names at the time (this was within a few years of Meloni leaving SVU and Sackoff on Battlestar Galactica).

Just wanted to mention that as I don't think we'll be seeing them.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I didn't know I needed CALL OF DUwUTY in my life, but here we are. I dunno about all those anime character model eyes, though :ohdear:

homphgomph
Nov 23, 2007

Sindai posted:

The intro and outro are incredible. Anime of the year
Thank you! It was extremely fun to do, there is a little more extra dumb poo poo coming, I assure you

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Call of Duty: Infinite Trauma
Trauma Go Boom

Antistar01 posted:

Also, I feel bad for skipping through the intro/outro bits because of the great editing in them, but - and I know the extremely trad J-Pop is part of the joke, but, but... I can't do it, man. :barf:
No worries and don't feel bad, that's exactly why I did one without the anime intro/outro bit, I know even just from a Let's Play perspective it won't be everyone's cup of tea but really leaning into the anime presentation has been really fun from an editing perspective

Rigged Death Trap posted:

You know exactly how the song will go: Train go boom
Season 2 spoilers??

Calax posted:

Just wanted to mention that as I don't think we'll be seeing them.
Yeah the performance capture is pretty good! But we're doing wacky, there's some good camp too in the zombie stuff that we'll show off later

Captain Hygiene posted:

I dunno about all those anime character model eyes, though :ohdear:

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Those eyes make me laugh.

homphgomph
Nov 23, 2007

SugarAddict posted:

Those eyes make me laugh.
It's me when I see a spider out of the corner of my eye

Episode 3 - Jesse Needs to be Revived ////// No intro/ending

Let's all make sure we download our tastebud mods to make everything taste like Malört.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012
I'm just thinking how much funnier this mod would be if the camera and interactions and everything else compensated for their height.

Gideon020
Apr 23, 2011
Ah, the Neptunia skins. Well, to be fair it was either this or the Girls Frontline ones.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
I don't know if it would be better or worse if the models were all scaled up to the intended heights

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Sindai posted:

I don't know if it would be better or worse if the models were all scaled up to the intended heights

It would be better if all the ingame cutscenes and interactions were scaled to the neptunia heights.

Bliss Authority
Jul 6, 2011

I'm not saying it was witches

but it was witches

Stop me if you know how this ends: Jesse go boom.

White Coke
May 29, 2015
When did Call of Duty become about sci-fi with cyborgs and robots?

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
Just this game really. Though Infinite is even further future with Expanse-ish solar system colonization

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

Basically from Blops 2 until WW2 dropped.

About 5 years.

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013
I'd forgotten - well, I'd forgotten basically everything about this game, but in particular I'd forgotten how much of a paint-by-numbers Saturday morning cartoon it is. It's a hair's breadth from becoming GI Joe.

So again, the anime girl mod is very appropriate. :v:

White Coke
May 29, 2015
Have they done an alternate history Call of Duty? What if the Nazis won WW2? What if the South won the Civil War and joined the Axis? Anything like that?

homphgomph
Nov 23, 2007

Sindai posted:

Yeah biggest bummer is you don't see the very good lip syncing from the mocap but you do get some real fun situations because of the tiny models

Gideon020 posted:

Ah, the Neptunia skins. Well, to be fair it was either this or the Girls Frontline ones.
I actually don't think the Girls Frontline mod was around when we first started this, the one nice thing about that mod is I believe you get to keep weapon progression though.

White Coke posted:

Have they done an alternate history Call of Duty? What if the Nazis won WW2? What if the South won the Civil War and joined the Axis? Anything like that?
No I think they tend to play it pretty by the numbers pro-military with the story/settings, I think the first Black Ops was like...1960's Cold War stuff covert stuff that didn't really happen? I'm not sure honestly

Episode 4 in which we have probably the closest thing to a beach episode as we run through a water park for a brief moment

Episode 4 - Coming In Hot ////// No intro/ending

homphgomph
Nov 23, 2007

Episode 5 featuring Metal Gears and some test tube monkies :(

Episode 5 - Proper Grenade Usage ////// No intro/ending

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013
As silly and cartoonish as this game has been, I do kind of dig the atmosphere of exploring the ruined whatever in this mission. At least early on, before it got loud and dumb again. (But hey, that's CoD.)

White Coke
May 29, 2015
Were those robot zombies or cyborg zombies?

ginko
Mar 28, 2010

Finally able to get something finished to contribute and it's this.

White Coke posted:

Were those robot zombies or cyborg zombies?

I'm pretty sure they were part robot zombies and then just robots they had left over.

homphgomph
Nov 23, 2007

Adding a new layer of emotion that the mod just doesn't allow for

Antistar01 posted:

As silly and cartoonish as this game has been, I do kind of dig the atmosphere of exploring the ruined whatever in this mission. At least early on, before it got loud and dumb again. (But hey, that's CoD.)
Yeah I've actually really liked the environments, there's a couple a few missions later that are really cool too but they definitely keep you interested.

Episode 6 Katie checks out some workout equipment and we go snipin!

Episode 6 - You Got Red On You ////// No intro/ending

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mildly Interesting
Nov 24, 2012
It's amazing to me that Taylor is giving you his "who are the real bad guys?!" speech at the same time that the bad guys are pouring gasoline on their own citizens(?) for no apparent reason other than to make sure you know that they are, in fact, the real bad guys. Also, I have no idea who Taylor is.