Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

Benne posted:

https://twitter.com/JFowlerESPN/status/1761838019244331256

I believe Desai was the last "big name" coach still out there (we already knew that Belichick/Vrabel/Carroll were taking the year off).

With nearly every staff finalized, that about closes the book on the 2023/24 coaching carousel. I'll be closing this thread soon, but just wanted a couple more days so people can get their final thoughts in -- or unless there's some crazy news, like, Bill joining his son on the Washington staff or whatever.

Once again, thanks to everyone who makes this project exciting every year, and keeps me coming back. I truly appreciate the kind words. For now, here's my quick and dirty watchlist for the 2024 hot seat, which is obviously going to change a lot depending on how their offseasons go.

Early 2024 watch, plus One Big Question

Robert Saleh -- Running out of time and excuses. Does his savior QB still have the juice?

Sean McDermott -- Have the Bills gone as far as they could with him?

Doug Pederson -- Late collapse won't be soon forgotten. How much is he really getting out of this roster?

Mike McCarthy -- How the hell has this not happened already?

Nick Sirianni -- Team openly quit on him. Almost a miracle he's getting one more shot. Does he have any answers left?

Brian Daboll -- Reports of staff turmoil revealed a potentially shaky foundation. One-year wonder?

Matt Eberflus -- Bears showed signs of life late. Will that matter if they're starting over at QB again?

Dennis Allen -- Fake Kneelgate left a bad taste on the season. Does the locker room still trust him?

Kevin Stefanski hasn't been extended yet and is heading into a lame duck year. It is Jimmy Haslam so it bears keeping an eye on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I really thought Billy B would be coaching in Dallas come September. Do you think his stock goes up or goes down with a year out of the league?

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

belichick will be written off by most teams now but his stock might shoot up with 1 or 2 weirdo ownerships that weren't yet in the firing mood this offseason

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
Any hiring of belichik from this point forward is merely a raiders-esque gimmick a la Jon gruden. I really hope none of you seriously think he still has any ability or interest from teams that are serious franchises to be their head coach.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

C-Euro posted:

I really thought Billy B would be coaching in Dallas come September. Do you think his stock goes up or goes down with a year out of the league?

I also assumed he was a lock for either Dallas or Atlanta. If nobody gave him a serious look this year I dunno what another year older and away from football is going to do for his image. The optimistic case would be he pulls a Bruce Arians and parachutes into a team that "just" needs a great coach and 1-2 pieces, has a couple strong seasons, and retires the millisecond he passes Shula. I feel like this fits the Jets pretty well which would be hilarious and unlikely for various reasons. It could also still totally fit Dallas in 2025 when Fat Mike is inevitably fired. Not like Jerruh has many years left on this earth, what does he care if Belichick is only committed to the team for 2 seasons if it brings him a Lombardi?

Most likely outcome is he never coaches in the NFL again though

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
The Falcons did 2 rounds with Belichick so they were serious. The sticking point is him wanting roster control. Say whatever about the office they have I wouldn't replace them with 70+ year old Billband his failsons

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
If the Cowboys wanted Bill they had their chance this year. Not sure there is any serious connection other than people doing fanfiction with Jerry, whose "rash" reputation has been wildly exaggerated for years at this point.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable

Ches Neckbeard posted:

The Falcons did 2 rounds with Belichick so they were serious. The sticking point is him wanting roster control. Say whatever about the office they have I wouldn't replace them with 70+ year old Billband his failsons

Falcons are a clown franchise and even they didn't take the bait. He's cooked, I think it's insane any of you even talk like he could coach again. Feels like I'm taking crazy pills.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
Jerry will never hire a coach who he thinks will get more credit for the team winning than he will. Jason Garrett got like 8 years coaching that team for a reason.

Bjork Bjowlob
Feb 23, 2006
yes that's very hot and i'll deal with it in the morning

If the Jets hire Belichick in 2025 I would love it in a sickos way. Give him roster control, who cares by that point. Can he do better than Adam Gase? Can the Jets send him into retirement with a couple of 2-15 seasons or worse?

New York Jets: the comic relief of the NFL

Fat Jesus
Jul 13, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2023

Bill Belichick Buffalo Bills maybe if their current guy can't get them there. It sounds good at least

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
Bill the GM has sucked rear end like 5 years running, and specifically his instincts when it comes to anything relating to players OR coordinators on offense are hyperbolicaly awful now, like maybe league-worst.

That he can still coach defense on game day is almost irrelevant in the face of that.

Black Sunshine
Apr 4, 2004

LEFT 4 DEAD IS A LOT LIKE FOOTBALL - I JERK OFF TO BOTH

Asproigerosis posted:

Any hiring of belichik from this point forward is merely a raiders-esque gimmick a la Jon gruden. I really hope none of you seriously think he still has any ability or interest from teams that are serious franchises to be their head coach.

We are not serious people

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

Gonna be very interesting to see if he accepts a much more limited role next year in order to get that record, versus still insisting on his full control.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Bjork Bjowlob posted:

If the Jets hire Belichick in 2025 I would love it in a sickos way. Give him roster control, who cares by that point. Can he do better than Adam Gase? Can the Jets send him into retirement with a couple of 2-15 seasons or worse?

New York Jets: the comic relief of the NFL

It's more likely that you are the HC of the NYJ in 2025 than Belichick.

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.
Could you imagine if Throw Rogan stuck around one more year and a win a ring with old Billy though?

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet
I think pederson is probably safe unless the jags completely bottom out, which I find unlikely. Beathard should be able to get them at least a few wins.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Bismack Billabongo posted:

I think pederson is probably safe unless the jags completely bottom out, which I find unlikely. Beathard should be able to get them at least a few wins.
Counterpoint: Pederson is still stubbornly employing Press Taylor, and I dont think even the likes of Beathard can overcome that. Also Nathan Rourke should get a shot.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Bill objectively had interest from teams it seems his unwillingness to compromise on his power structure left him out in the cold more than anything

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet
In all seriousness if the jags and Trevor bust didn’t totally mismanage his injury situation over the last five weeks of the season they would have won the division so I’m not sure how to divvy out blame for that

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

Fat Jesus posted:

Bill Belichick Buffalo Bills maybe if their current guy can't get them there. It sounds good at least

No. If/when the Bills move on from McDermott, they need to find an offensive guy that can scheme with Allen, instead of hoping to land an OC that then gets poached.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

In all seriousness if the jags and Trevor bust didn’t totally mismanage his injury situation over the last five weeks of the season they would have won the division so I’m not sure how to divvy out blame for that

Pederson fired like 20 defensive coaches, so it sounds like the blame has already been divvied out

Benne fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Feb 26, 2024

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Benne posted:

Pederson fired like 20 defensive coaches, so it sounds like the blame has already been divvied out
To be fair, the defense giving up like 400 yards to Jake Browning in the Jags' first Night Game in like literally 20 years was unforgivable.

three
Aug 9, 2007

i fantasize about ndamukong suh licking my doodoo hole

kiimo posted:

I think it's a great job for him. He's also associate head coach if that means anything.

As a Panthers fan I love DeShaun Foster, but he's a comically unqualified choice as HC and he's Bienemy's boss.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
Does SF have a DC yet?

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.

a neat cape posted:

Does SF have a DC yet?

No.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

they interviewed staley and another guy, they'll probably have a hire soon

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

the o-line has been awful for years now, their GM is an idiot and Pederson is making magic out of the pieces available there. I don't think they managed the Trevor situation well at all but I'm also not surprised he got injured with how bad the o-lines has been and continues to be. At this point the Jags biggest issue is going to be talent. They've got some solid pieces but also some huge gaps.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Trevor's sack rates are solidly middle of the pack and he's not a runner, it's not like he was getting killed back there. He played through injury because he was trying to make the playoffs, not a single franchise QB is getting benched in that moment. I don't know what else you're supposed to do there.

The Jags' real problems can be summed up here:

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

To be fair, the defense giving up like 400 yards to Jake Browning in the Jags' first Night Game in like literally 20 years was unforgivable.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

i mean jake browning and the bengals offense looked good against everyone they played besides the chiefs and the steelers, i don't know that giving up 400 yards to him is some great shame

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Benne posted:

Trevor's sack rates are solidly middle of the pack and he's not a runner, it's not like he was getting killed back there. He played through injury because he was trying to make the playoffs, not a single franchise QB is getting benched in that moment. I don't know what else you're supposed to do there.

The Jags' real problems can be summed up here:

They had a 99% chance to make the playoffs when he got injured if they just let him rest a couple weeks they would have walked in lol

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Declan MacManus posted:

i mean jake browning and the bengals offense looked good against everyone they played besides the chiefs and the steelers, i don't know that giving up 400 yards to him is some great shame
?? Browning threw for his second most yards in a game against the Steelers, with 335 yards that game (his second game against the Steelers), so I'm not sure what you are referring to. His other game against the Steelers he did fine, he definitely didnt look bad against them (according to the stat sheet, anyway, because I cant say that I saw the game).

In the regular season he had a QB rating of 98.4, averaging 70% completions, 8 yards an attempt,. Against Jacksonville he had a 115 rating, completed 85% of his passes, and averaged 10 yards an attempt. The Jags game was by far his best game of the year, and it was in only his second start.

Metapod posted:

They had a 99% chance to make the playoffs when he got injured if they just let him rest a couple weeks they would have walked in lol
100% this. He was concussed and had a throwing shoulder injury, two of the best reasons to rest a guy. Him playing the next week after the concussion was stupid as gently caress.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

I will always remember this stupid game because it cost me like $600 in my survivor pool :argh: But yeah the Jags defense was useless that night, almost every single drive ended in points for the Bengals. Browning played competently in relief of Burrow but you really shouldn't be getting absolutely rolled by a UDFA who spent the last 3 years on various practice squads.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet

Metapod posted:

Yeah this. Like leaving aside how much I think he sucks and is overrated, if they give him a week or two weeks after the initial injury (can’t remember if it was the shoulder first or the concussion) I think they easily manage to scrape in but whether it was T Bust being too hardheaded or the coaching staff pushing him too fast, somebody should have pumped the brakes

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Benne posted:

I should add to this that their interior OL is incredibly bad. TLaw is pretty mobile and fast, but he was constantly under pressure from the interior because they were starting a bad 2nd day pick at C, a washed up (and overpaid) Brandon Scherff at one Guard spot, and a rotating cast of nobodies at the other G spot. TLaw wasnt sacked a ton, but he was making off balance throws / early throws to the guy the play was designed to get open / overthrows because he was leaning back or bracing for the hit all the time because he had a dude in his face most plays.

Docjowles posted:

I will always remember this stupid game because it cost me like $600 in my survivor pool :argh: But yeah the Jags defense was useless that night, almost every single drive ended in points for the Bengals. Browning played competently in relief of Burrow but you really shouldn't be getting absolutely rolled by a UDFA who spent the last 3 years on various practice squads.
Ouch. It was the game where I knew the season wasnt going to work out. Things looked shaky before then, but after that I knew the season was toast and the DC likely to get shitcanned because the D has been so inconsistent under his watch.

edit: I just wish Dougie P would loving let go of Press Goddamned Taylor. He is not the answer. Doug had several years to learn that in Philly and he brought the guy with him to Jacksonville anyway.

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Feb 27, 2024

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

?? Browning threw for his second most yards in a game against the Steelers, with 335 yards that game (his second game against the Steelers), so I'm not sure what you are referring to. His other game against the Steelers he did fine, he definitely didnt look bad against them (according to the stat sheet, anyway, because I cant say that I saw the game).

bengals offense put up a combined total of 21 points against the steelers the two times they played them; when i say browning and the bengals offense, i mean browning and the bengals offense

i don't care about empty yards in the middle of the field

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Declan MacManus posted:

bengals offense put up a combined total of 21 points against the steelers the two times they played them; when i say browning and the bengals offense, i mean browning and the bengals offense

i don't care about empty yards in the middle of the field
ok

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable

I should add to this that their interior OL is incredibly bad. TLaw is pretty mobile and fast, but he was constantly under pressure from the interior because they were starting a bad 2nd day pick at C, a washed up (and overpaid) Brandon Scherff at one Guard spot, and a rotating cast of nobodies at the other G spot. TLaw wasnt sacked a ton, but he was making off balance throws / early throws to the guy the play was designed to get open / overthrows because he was leaning back or bracing for the hit all the time because he had a dude in his face most plays.

Ouch. It was the game where I knew the season wasnt going to work out. Things looked shaky before then, but after that I knew the season was toast and the DC likely to get shitcanned because the D has been so inconsistent under his watch.

edit: I just wish Dougie P would loving let go of Press Goddamned Taylor. He is not the answer. Doug had several years to learn that in Philly and he brought the guy with him to Jacksonville anyway.

For better or worse he is ride or die for his guys, which is why he got fired. I'd take him back immediately.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

Benne posted:

Trevor's sack rates are solidly middle of the pack and he's not a runner, it's not like he was getting killed back there.

This is bc Trevor is pretty shifty and bc Pederson had to hamstring the offense with tons of quick routes so he doesn't get murdered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

i don't study every team or pretend to but it seems like there's about 4 or 6 good pass pro offensive lines as a whole and the rest are horse poo poo. i guess most quarterbacks are going to need to be able to do a little razzle dazzle if you know what i mean. idk