Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

Rodgers wasn't really wrong with most of his complaints about the Packers. Certainly they didn't try very hard to build around him in the back part of his time there.

Eh, they were trying to build the best team possible without completely mortgaging the future. Part of the charm of having an ~elite~ qb is that they can elevate the offense around them and you don’t have to spend tons of capital on that side of the ball, and he still enjoyed a good line for a lot of that time. The defense hasn’t panned out (yet) but Love was really the only move that wasn’t trying to take advantage of the Rodgers window

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

YOLOsubmarine posted:

It’s a Sean Payton team now, they’ll just renegotiate his contract to lower the 2025 cap hit in exchange for paying him 10 million a year until 2035.

Denver can start celebrating a lovely Bobby Bonilla Day! He’ll high knee into fans’ hearts yet!

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

SKULL.GIF posted:

It owns how the Rams traded for Stafford, immediately won a championship, and then all these other teams tried trading for their own franchise QB and ate poo poo.

Copycatting doesn't work!!

Not like that’s a new thing and it worked out for Tampa quite well recently as well. In a weird way Denver too, even if P Manning was dead for their actual super bowl winning season, don’t think that could’ve worked with like Kyle Orton manning the helm

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

a neat cape posted:

Those weren't trades

Fair, and maybe (probably) the bucs wouldn’t have done as well without their first round pick protecting Old Man Brady, but there was still plenty of successful evidence for pursuing older ~franchise quarterbacks~

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

SKULL.GIF posted:

I still think it's weird Rich Bisaccia never got a look anywhere after being extremely well received as interim coach for the Raiders and getting promoted to assistant head coach after only one year with the Packers.

Same, he got that mediocre raiders team to the playoffs as an interim coach (in part because of singed-butt Staley but) after they had to deal with a lotta poo poo, and then back to STC? It’s weird—maybe he just didn’t want the pressure/responsibility

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

Ches Neckbeard posted:

Had a dude stealing handsigns in the most tracable way possible

Had heard about that but assumed there was something else—no way that actually gets you blacklisted from the nfl, especially a big (white) name like Harbaugh. Now if he actually ever decides to come back that’s a different discussion

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify
lol that is indeed all hilarious and I don’t follow college ball too much, so thank you, but still think if Other Harbaugh wanted to return to the nfl he’d find a team desperate enough

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify
And why the hell is vrabel so high?

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify
Y’aww good for the titans for getting their lil logo, still don’t understand why vrabel is so high on these tho

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify
As a chargers fan, I’d still currently take Football Dictator Billy B over Staley and Tolesco. gently caress it, maybe it wouldn’t be good long term, but I’ll take the short term gamble with this roster before herbie becomes, like, a saint

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

Nervous posted:

Seattle will give you Geno + DK for Herbie. Deal?

nah it’d have to be a ricky williams/herschel walker type haul for me to even consider that

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

indigi posted:

this situation is becoming funny

I guess I can buy that owners still think that highly of Belichick but it seems incredibly stupid. he'd be my plan B or C and even then I'd want veto power over his coordinator picks

It’d make sense for like the chargers than the panthers but I’m not really sold on both. Mays I think made the point that we’ve already seen what a 3-4 year Belichick rebuild looks like—it’s this

also my phone considers one Belichick spelled correctly and the other Belichick spelled incorrectly. and both of these most recent Belichicks…

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

Shrimpy posted:

The Jets are in such an awkward spot, because they pretty much have to fire Joe Douglas at the end of this year, but any new GM they bring on will be stuck with Saleh/Hackett until Rodgers retires or they have to find a coach who is cool with Hackett staying onboard.

Just do it like GB did—have a HC who calls the offensive plays and then Hackett can be “OC”/aaron’s friend

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify
Moore has been an upgrade, over an admittedly very low bar, but not as much as I was hoping. Some of it is the roster being injured/older/not as good as we thought, but he still hasn’t been spectacular or anything. That said, fire Staley way, way before him

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify
yes, fire sirriani and tomlin, let them be hired by teams who’d appreciate a good HC after years of nonsense (and then fire him after going 14-2)

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

Shinji2015 posted:

Has anyone ever hired and fired a HC before the season started? Because if it hasn't happened yet, I don't think it's impossible for Tepper to be the first

Think this happened to some coach in the 80s, but I’m completely blanking on who and what team. It was mentioned in articles about how Reich was the fastest HC firing besides this guy who was fired after two preseason games iirc (I prolly don’t)

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify
There was also the stat floated around at the time that the raiders had basically garbage defenses for carr’s entire time on the raiders and the saints were expected to have at least a functional defense

still lollin at the raiders fan I met in the wild this past offseason who was super hyped for jimmy g replacing carr because jimmy just wins

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify
2018 NFCN probably gets saved by McCarthy’s season this year. Besides big Mike, Zimmer, Nagy, and Patricia

e: huh, a Mike, another Mike, and a Matt and a Matt

Pontius Pilate fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Dec 13, 2023

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

Erainor posted:

I’m envisioning a coach suiting up to kick field goals himself since his kicker sucks.

I remembered Staley played qb and tennis in college, but for some reason I thought he had also played soccer and was going to suggest that he’d finally found his niche. But alas, he’d probably suck at that too

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

wandler20 posted:

drat, I can't remember a GM getting fired mid season. Spanos must've been PISSED.

Literally last season after the titans watched aj brown dunk on them after trading him for peanuts on draft day with a very pissed off vrabel reaction of said trade when it happened

e: that said, it is rare, and I’m happy the chargers are doing it. This roster got old and stagnant and the cap situation is hell

Pontius Pilate fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Dec 15, 2023

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify
I’d however trust him to make the defense look good even with no additional pieces. I’ll take Belichick as Football Dictator at this point even if it wouldn’t be my dream hiring(s). They should obviously let whoever is in charge of the social media hirings run the hc/gm search tho

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify
lmao trade herbert

we will rebuild to find a new herbert, maybe

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

a neat cape posted:

He hasn't, really. He's mostly hit on 1st rounders, but I can count.... Two? Three? 3rd rounders and below who have ever made any kind of impact on the team. Keenan Allen and Josh Palmer.

Yea, he’s hung onto his hits for years which led to them both being a bit of a stars and scrubs roster and people overrating him based on those stars. also old

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

a neat cape posted:

The JC Jackson dead money really loving sucks

that was a rough one. On the bright side if belichick takes over and he comes back he’d be a serviceable corner again

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

Woozie66 posted:

If Smith is fired, which he should be, I don't remember such a wet fart of a three year stint. They never cratered but they never did anything. This team still has basically no identity. Just bizarre. It's like the franchise is was paused for three years.

Especially since it seemed like they were making an identity with their personnel moves and last season’s RUN success but then ridder throws it fifty times and bijan gets two touches

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify
Does this mean he’ll take a Herbie discount for Spanos? (lol no tho still cheaper than carolina prolly)

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify
He’s my current first choice too. They need another Marty type

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

Ayudo posted:

Probably just the price he's quoting Tepper.

Tepper leaked it because he’s salty, “we have a #1 pick qb!!”

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

a neat cape posted:

Cameron Dicker rules

He does! (silver linings)

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify
Defensive wunderkind who consistently had some of the worst defenses even after the cheap rear end chargers dumped tons of money onto that side of the ball. O, and squandered herbie’s rookie contract

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

a neat cape posted:

Oh, yeah. This was the best case scenario

And Stick looks like he could maybe possibly be a serviceable backup. Best chargers game of the year probably

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify
Hitting on Sauce and a good Wilson probably saved his rear end. That and the Rodgers mulligan year and Woody incompetence too of course

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

3 DONG HORSE posted:

Just in case we have to play in Germany we will be ready

Imagining Thunder in a cavalry charge with the rider brandishing the saber Patton designed

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify
Even with the recent meltdown of Reid and Mahomes, they’re still a bit too likable which makes them far worse villains than brady/belichick, ultimately making them more unlikable

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

FizFashizzle posted:

What is the argument for firing Siriani? Is it just Philly fans being insane?

They’re slightly disappointing coming off a super bowl run! So yes

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Thinking about how much eagles fans hated Gannon last year and chuckling.

Gives one a lot of faith in eagles fans coaching evaluations

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

Simplex posted:

So you've got Andy Reid in KC, Payton in Denver, Chargers supposedly all in on a Belichick or Harbaugh level hire. There's no way you can stay pat with your okayish interim if you're Vegas

And we’ll all convince ourselves the afcw is a gauntlet and then they’ll all suck besides the chiefs

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify
Eh, I’d still take reich who has similar excuses/reasons as Bryce and took a mostly QBless colts teams to mostly playoff relevancy, over Smith who showed flashes as an OC wunderkind and then nothing. He’s an offensive Brandon Staley.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

Timby posted:

Reich was lost in Indianapolis after Luck retired, and he was overmatched and clearly exhausted in Carolina. He might get an offensive coordinator position but I think his fire to be a head coach is gone.

And yet he still made them playoff relevant for several seasons post-Luck with their endless qb carousel, and an owner doing lines off Hendrix’s guitar. Not saying he’s a HoF coach or anything, but compared to Arthur Smith? eh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify
I forget—and assume—gruden is suing the nfl over being a poor persecuted straight white man who lost his job unfairly?