Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
Feels weird to have Staley on the hot seat when he's had two winning seasons and won more games last year than the year prior (He's only had Herbert for two years, not three), but here we are.

If he gets axed, Kellen Moore is a shoo in for HC

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

aperion posted:

Brandon Staley is super unlikely to be fired mid-season, but I think the expectations are pretty obvious for him and his coaches to clean up the braindead decisions from last year and get the goddamn offense moving more consistently. 27-0 cannot happen again in any form, straight-up, and his seat will cool off completely if they get into the playoffs and win at least one game convincingly there versus a real contender.

I agree with this

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

fartknocker posted:

Bill isn’t gonna stop coaching until he breaks Shula’s record or drops dead.

I mean that's only like 30 more wins

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

The Browns are never going anywhere.

I can't ever see the NFL allowing a city to lose a team twice.

The Raiders don't count

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Febreeze posted:

Yeah now that LA/Vegas has teams what cities would even be candidates for a move or expansion?

San Diego and St Louis probably the most likely since they already had teams, but then...what? San Antonio? Salt Lake City? Portland? Nothing particularly jumps out as a viable billionaire leverage town to hold anyone ransom

Give me my goddamn Chargers back

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Saints to San Antonio was the big threat before they won a Super Bowl. Texas seems like the most obvious candidate for a relocation.

I always figured Jerry just like.... Wouldn't let this happen

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Darth Brooks posted:

The Chargers have a 20 year lease to stay in LA which means as soon as Dean Spanos no longer owns the team the new owner will break the lease as soon as they can get a new stadium built.

It seems hosed up that this is already year 7 in LA

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

Let's call a spade a spade. Brandon Staley sucks poo poo and will be fired in January.

Yep.

Took me a while, but I'm there now.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

He's not getting fired mid-season

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Probably Magic posted:

How much longer can you really keep doing this every week with Staley? This team is anti-clutch under him. If Jerry West and Robert Horry are the pictures of Los Angeles clutch, the Chargers are the antonym.

This isn't a Staley problem, it's every chargers coach. Nothing will ever change while Spanos owns the team.

Anyway Staley and Telesco are gone after the season, lots of big names are gonna get cut, and Herbert is going to flounder under another first time head coach until he's also fired after year 3

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Staley you idiot

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Febreeze posted:

I wonder if Vance Joseph takes the hit instead because woof

Broncos defense was great last year so we know it's all coaching

The talent level on the Broncos defense is also way exaggerated because of how good they looked under Evero in the first half the year last year.

They started coming apart over the second half of the season

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Cavauro posted:

are the broncos defense just unfamiliar with how they have to play now? is every defensive look the wrong call? is vance joseph telling players to do things that are objectively wrong. why did they become that bad? that's freagging nuts.

They have 2 defensive starts who are above average

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

ChocolatePancake posted:

I was going to argue with this until I thought about it. Simmons is a very good safety, but he was hurt and missed the game. Surtain is a very good CB, but he's just one man. Rest of the secondary is mediocre at best.
The linebackers are all bad. The defensive line is incapable of getting any pressure on a QB in under 5 seconds.

They all played above their talent level last year with Eviro until the season unraveled and Chubb got moved. That defense needs to be rebuilt from the ground up

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Come on, 0-17 is not going to happen. It’s extremely hard to not win a single game in an NFL season. The Broncos are bad but they aren’t “one of the worst teams of all time” bad.

The 2011 colts were actively tanking and lost a game by 55 points and still didn’t go 0-16.

Denver/Minnesota is gonna be fun

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

They're paying Payton 18 million a year and he's owed like 85 million still. He's not going anywhere unless the owners are gonna start leaking more emails.

I don't think Walmart cares

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

I would just like for Kellen Moore to be the next Chargers coach because I dont want Herbert to have to learn a 4th system in 5 years

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Joseph is gone after this game, Payton’s future is going to depend on whether he can find anyone to elevate the defense to “merely bad.”

Vance is Sean's scapegoat for later in the season. Much too early to fire him

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

I hate this mf staley

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/BarryOnHere/status/1708622798388695057

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Q_res posted:

Yeah the excuses are, and always have been, bullshit. And I say that as someone who thought the questionable stuff at the college level was a legit reason to pass on him at one time.

Oh he's with Mahomes and Reid, so who knows how good he is? Didn't stop Nagy from getting a job. Too much of a hard rear end? Can I point you in the direction of basically the entire Belicheck coaching tree, with the somewhat ironic exception of Romeo Crennel?

Even if they're not consciously passing on him due to race there's obviously some kind of bias at play.

Even if it's a race thing, I still wonder why guys like Vance Joseph, Demeco Ryan's, Robert Saleh, and Anthony Lynn got jobs before Bienemy

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

fartknocker posted:

There has been some talk in the past about the racial issue particularly with the offensive side of the ball. Joseph, Ryans, and Saleh were all defensive coordinators before being head coaches. There aren’t a lot of minority offensive coordinators, and the only one I can think of from recent memory who got head coaching chances was Hue Jackson.

Anthony Lynn

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Anderson Koopa posted:

That draft was a fever dream. I remember something weird happened with the Titans' webcam.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Fire Staley

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Black Sunshine posted:

counterpoint: give him a 10 year extension

what the gently caress!

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Forrest on Fire posted:

Yeah, and Dak looks like poo poo after looking solid in Moore's offense. McCarthy demonstrated he's a downgrade from the previous offensive guy. Jerry isn't gonna fire someone unless he thinks he has a short term upgrade on staff & I don't know if he thinks that's Dan Quinn

The Chargers offense and especially red zone offense looks much better this year btw

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Shinjobi posted:

Jerry will never, ever, ever under any circumstances let a coach like Parcells touch his team again.

Doesn't matter how much good it would do, if Jerry can't take credit then it's a nonstarter.

Wouldn't Sean Payton want total control?

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Docjowles posted:

Man I had forgotten the Broncos had to give up a 1st and a 2nd to land Payton. Jesus. That makes any talk of firing him this year or even over the next few years even more improbable.

Geroge Paton is really putting together a hell of a resume. His hits are like, uh... Patrick Surtain?

I don't know why Paton still has a job when Penner and Payton are controlling everything now.

Also, the Penners gave Walmart money. Sean Payton's contract is nothing to them

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

I'd be SHOCKED if Russ is the starting QB of the Denver Broncos in week 1 of 2024

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Timby posted:

That contract's a spicy meatball.

He might not be cut, but a rookie is gonna be starting whether Russ is on the roster or not.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Kalli posted:

I don't think he'll be on the team. His $37m 2025 salary becomes guaranteed if he is.

If Russ stinks enough to be benched, he's getting cut and the Broncos are just going to take a brutal dead cap hit next year.

There's also this.

The Broncos are going to get hurt badly because of that deal one way or the other, there's no avoiding it

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Pontius Pilate posted:

Not like that’s a new thing and it worked out for Tampa quite well recently as well. In a weird way Denver too, even if P Manning was dead for their actual super bowl winning season, don’t think that could’ve worked with like Kyle Orton manning the helm

Those weren't trades

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Relentlessboredomm posted:

Demeco’s been great and if Stroud keeps looking like this idk that anyone’s ever going to complain about Demeco as HC.

But my question is not “has a defensive HC hire been good?” it’s: Do any of you actually want your teams to hire a defensive HC?

NO.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

I wish my dumb team would just fire Staley and make kellen moore HC

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Shindragon posted:

I was about to say , would it be a stretch that Staley's chair is getting warm? Dude's a goddamn joke

It's burning hot.

He didn't even do anything that egregious today. The 4th down calls were all good. The players just didn't execute today.

Herbert was missing on wide open passes. Derwin himself had two really goddamn stupid personal foul penalties. Dallas was stopped on 3rd and 19 and the defense commits TWO holding calls deep in the secondary. The buck obviously stops with the coach but the players need to control what they can control.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Ches Neckbeard posted:

I'm going with Ross' earlier statement that he'll make it through the season but there's a timer is ticking on the rocket strapped to his chair

The only reason I say this is because the Spanoses are so cheap and won't pay a coach not to coach.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Also it won't matter who the Chargers hire next. It could be Belichick, Harbaugh, Tomlin, Reid, literally anyone you can think of. This type of bullshit will still happen because Chargers.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Durandal1707 posted:

It isn't terribly surprising that Staley survived the playoff meltdown last year, if you know how the Spanoses operate. They're just aggressively cheap when it comes to paying for coaches and the training staff, year after year. The last time they paid top dollar for a head coach was Marty, and Dean was sore for years about having to pay him to stay home after he was shitcanned following 2006. Almost every coach they've had since Marty was A) a first time HC and B) came way cheaper than most of the other available ones on the market.

The exception to this is Norv, who was a two time retread who they were stuck with, because they fired Marty so late in the offseason and after the coaching staff was raided to go work elsewhere. Even then, Norv was IIRC one of the least well paid HCs in the league when he was with the Chargers.

The fact that people don't just know this is what makes me realize not everyone cares/pays attention to my dumb team

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

I wonder who will the Chargers will hire.

Well.

I wonder who they WILL hire and I also wonder who they SHOULD hire.

They are different lists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Docjowles posted:

Yeah I think I agree with all of these. Especially Rivera. Maybe in an on the field sense he’s not OH MY GOD bad but it would be absolutely shocking if he is there next year. New owners can’t have the most boring coach in the league

When is Staley’s contract up? I do put stock in Ross’ assessment that Spanos won’t buy out a fired coach cause he is a cheap gently caress

After next season. But he's only making 4m per year.