Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Nodoze posted:

I don't think Gannon will get fired unless he is Urban or Hackett levels of inept/embarrassing, which he very well might be.
Both those teams had high expectations, especially the Broncos. I think this is more of a Jim Tomsula hire in that he will be bad because they expect him to be bad then they will fire him because he was bad so they can hire someone good. I expect he'll be fired so the Cards can hire Ben Johnson to be the HC with a new young QB they draft #1 overall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

D-LINK posted:

1. Green Bay Packers
2. Dallas Cowboys
3. Pittsburgh Steelers
4. ?
5. ?
I doubt the Bears, Eagles, Dolphins, Broncos, or 49ers would ever move. A few others too but thats all the thought I'm putting into it.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

D-LINK posted:

They already moved the 9ers to Santa Clara tho.
They're still the San Fran 49ers though. Bears might move to a suburb but they're still the Chicago Bears. I guess it depends on your definition of "move". I was thinking along the lines of "Bears leave Chicago (area) for St. Louis" or "49ers leave SF (area) for San Diego" rather than "move down the highway to a more economical somewhere they get government money and/or cheaper land for a new stadium".

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

Yeah, you know the problem though. Joe Douglas deserves the blame - and to be fired - for this mess, and if he goes you have that awkward New GM/Old Coach combo.
Douglas has drafted well though, except for the Wilson pick at the beginning of his tenure. I imagine the Rodgers pick was in part influenced by the owner.

Kalli posted:

Also Saleh got handed a raw deal but... it's year 3, probably going into year 4 with no good plan at QB. Just cut him loose, he's done.
The QB is the GM's fault. Saleh should get some flak for hiring a bad OC/QB coach, but part of the problem there is that their original, well regarded, hire for the QB coach job died in a horrible accident.

What I am saying is that the team is better now than it was when Saleh was hired so considering some of luck here I feel like they should get some slack.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

FizFashizzle posted:

You could probably whip up a quick ground and pound with fields’ skills et more easily than trying to zombie Rodgers offense onto Wilson.

Just spitballing here of course the jets needs to be offering a trade for dalton.
Maybe you or Professor Funk could, but Nathaniel Hackett could not.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Anderson Koopa posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJtPjkSTZyE

We might get another one of these possibly.
I miss Jay Cutler. And Kyle Orton. And and Fitzmagic.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

a neat cape posted:

Anthony Lynn
David Culley and Pep Hamilton (Pep wasnt a HC candidate that I am aware of but he was an OC and until that time a well regarded QB coach, I think).

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

D-LINK posted:

another catastrophic offensive performance this week
Considering the recent trend...

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

I look forward to the BYE holding Najee to 26 yards on 11 attempts and getting three sacks.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

https://i.imgur.com/2AYNO9N.mp4

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Mega64 posted:

When is the Commanders' bye? Wondering if we might get interim coach Bienemy at that point.

Of course it's more likely we'd get IC Del Rio since he has HC experience, but hey, might as well see what Bienemy can do.
I just said in the Aftermath thread that JDR is clearly the problem (putting a rookie CB on an island vs great WRs two weeks in a row) so I imagine Rivera will get the opportunity to fire him as a sacrificial lamb to keep his job through the end of the season.

That being said, its on Ron to make sure his coaches are being loving idiots, so yeah I could see Rivera getting shitcanned first.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Ches Neckbeard posted:

Bienemy has the hotshot young (for the NFL) OC thing going. I really don't see why it would be bad for him to take the interim especially if it comes with firing Del Rio. He leads them to .500 with Sam Howell of all people that's only upping his resume. There's every reason to not give a single poo poo under Rivera but Bienemy is a really candidate and would be a splash hire for new ownership. The roster isn't exactly bad (outside Howell) either.
Howell is actually decent, its the OL that is godawful. Some sacks are on Howell for trying to play hero ball, but he also avoids a lot of sacks by being strong enough and elusive enough. And he tends to keep his eyes downfield and still gets an accurate ball out while dodging free rushers.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

really queer Christmas posted:

so how hot is bills seat. Medium or toasty?
I dunno but he is in trouble. I dont think Kraft fires him mid-season but if this keeps up they may "mutually agree to part ways" at the end of the year

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Asproigerosis posted:

Mac is only a rookie!
No thats Zach, not Mac.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

SKULL.GIF posted:

I dunno if getting blown out by the best team in football is a good reason to upgrade McCarthy.
They got embarrassed on national TV by a historical rival. Jerruh is probably pissed.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Shinjobi posted:

Yeah, probably why he didn't get the job over fat mike
Wasnt he still coaching the Saints when that happened, and retired after the next year? Also Jerruh may not have wanted to part with a pick (or picks) to trade for a HC.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Apparently according to OTC, if the Broncos designate Russ as a post-June 1 cut in 2024, he "just" has a $35,400,000 dead cap hit in 2024 and then would have a pretty hefty hit the next year too of course but it would make it less suicidal to do it. Once they cut Tim Patrick and either extend or re-negotiate like two other guys they'll be under the cap and we can enjoy watching Jarrett Stidham earn his 7m contract.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

wandler20 posted:

I don't even get how this is still a discussion. If you lose your starting QB, you're hosed, end of story.
But the Colts are going to be better with their backup QB playing!

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Benne posted:

The Texans seem pretty happy with DeMeco Ryans right now.
Right but will they still be when Slowik gets hired away as an HC and the offense comes crashing down to earth?

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Diva Cupcake posted:

^^ It's been like 5 games lol.

Saleh turned the 32nd ranked defense into a consistent top 5 unit in 2 years. That's a best case for defensive coach. Still need a QB.
I was being hypothetical and you know it. This is the same as some Bills fans hating Daboll's replacement because he just doesnt capture that same magic, how the Falcons Offense dropped off after Shanahan got hired away, ect.

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Oct 16, 2023

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

BlindSite posted:

Yeah but, just as much to the point. The giants definitely aren't playing around it. McAdoo was such a weird choice as head coach at the time, did OKish as OC in carolina last year toward the last few games. Managed to dial up some decent run game at least but nothing about the dude ever struck me as a HC.
The Giants were going for continuity with Old Man Coughlin leaving, with McAdoo having been on his staff.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Cognac McCarthy posted:

The 49ers have had several promising seasons collapse due to QB injuries in the last few years so I dunno that I would say they're doing well with a mediocre OL. I'd say they're maybe reaching their ceiling.
The quality of the OL does not affect QB health that much. Handsome James was regularly injured doing routine poo poo. Lance got hurt on a designed run. The only notable 49ers QB injury I can think of that could be "blamed" on the OL is Purdy's elbow in the playoffs last year because he got hit while dropping back to pass. Note: I'm not 9'ers fan so someone please correct me if I am missing something obvious.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Ches Neckbeard posted:

Howell kind of sucks along with the line sucking. There's only so much suck you can compensate for.
Other than holding the ball too long, Howell is doing great considering the OL in front of him is pure garbage. On most plays he has a solid 1 second to finish his drop, make his read, and throw the ball before he gets hit. Most of his throws look good considering the circumstances and it seems like he can make a good read, but its the classic "its hard to say because he is constantly running for his life and getting sacked too often to be sure".

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

BlindSite posted:

If ... the defense comes together a little more toward the back end he might be fine.
It wont, because MLF hired a friend as his DC and he refuses to fire him despite the defense underperforming for three years straight. Which is part of why MLF should be on the hot seat.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Especially when it is now obvious that Steichen was the offensive mastermind. Considering the quality of the OL and weapons, the offense is remarkably bland.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Kalli posted:

I mean McDaniels is a really good OC with a long, long career of building an offense around great QB's.

And he'll never ever get poached as a HC candidate ever again. He's like the perfect OC for Herbert. He could be there 15 years.

If you view hiring a defensive coach's biggest weakness that any good OC will get snatched from them after a year or two... McDaniels is your solution. He's an unhirable prick to any Head job, he's peaked. Give him a good QB and let him go to town
Wasnt McDaniels bad in St Louis after his first HC tenure? And he only looked good again when he went back to NE? My memory is fuzzy so I could be mis-remembering.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Phobeste posted:

well yeah but belichick would be there so you'd get good version
:hmmyes:

a neat cape posted:

That Rams team was uh.

Yeah.
Good point.

Kalli posted:

Yeah, but they had no QB (Sam Bradford). You're giving McDaniels a really good QB to work with, which should be gangbusters.
You're right.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Forrest on Fire posted:

Honestly yeah they should keep Pierce. He's cool as poo poo. That's my reason. They're the loving Raiders they need to think they're cool and play hard and/or dirty. Pierce knows he isn't a genius HC so he hired Marvin Lewis to help consult him on things and I think it's helped him a lot.
Also somehow just by like... sheer force of willpower the defense has been insanely better than they were earlier in the year without any major personnel changes that I am aware of.

The hiring Marvin Lewis for advice part I did not know and is awesome.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

FizFashizzle posted:

im so sorry bears fans (im not)
What happened now?

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Black Lighter posted:

Every Eagles game where the defense looks like dogshit is one that helps ensure that he won't be named DC for the next season. There are worse Ls to take.
lol, he’ll have the “I didn’t get to implement my scheme so of course it sucks” argument.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

I think Howie is smart enough to know that Sirianni doesn’t have It and that the magic beans left town with Steichen. Sirianni seems like he is a giant rear end in a top hat to the degree that he has worn out his welcome and patience.

I don’t think Daboll gets fired after 2 seasons and that improbable playoff run last year.

Edit: if it is Sirianni I hope the Eagles hire Steichen’s OC from Indy to continue that weird cycle that they have going.

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Jan 1, 2024

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

The Wild Man of YOLO posted:

Head Coach Jim Bob Cooter
That might actually get me to root for the Eagles in situations other than “is playing against the Patriots in the Super Bowl”.

FizFashizzle posted:

What is the argument for firing Siriani? Is it just Philly fans being insane?
His first year he insisted on being the offensive play caller, which he had never done in his career before. The offense was awful. He eventually passed play calling off to Steichen; the offense finally looked competent. This year, with Steichen gone, with an incredibly talented roster, his team keeps losing games they should win. The offense has looked terrible for like two months. The perception is that the Eagles won many early season games due to talent disparity and not game planning or scheme. It just seems like he got lucky by hiring Steichen and Gannon as his coordinators and now that they are gone the team looks listless and bad.

Also he willingly hired Matt Patricia.

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Jan 1, 2024

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Zeke isnt there to play Center so I wonder what he will cook up this year.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

I will never not laugh at that Hopkins trade.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

EmbryoSteve posted:

Russ as a bridge in Atlanta after they draft penix makes the most sense and sickens me
Isnt Penix almost as old as Russ?

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Nervous posted:

He's slow, icky, and bounces too much.
:golfclap:

Now tell all the teams that so they dont hire him away. I feel weird saying that because I'm a jags fan but CJS is just so much fun to watch I dont want him to have to deal with a revolving door of OCs if Slowik leaves and the new guy is bad.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Q_res posted:

Ben Johnson in Atlanta, trade for Josh Fields.
Not sure if you’re saying Josh Dobbs or Justin Fields. I’m going with Fields.

Harbaugh with that offensive talent and Justin Fields in Atlanta would be spicy.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

mcmagic posted:

If he had any chance to get that job they would've fired Ron during the season and promoted him.
Not necessarily. When Staley was fired, they offered Moore the interim tag and he said no. Entirely possible WAS wanted to fire Ron and asked Bieniemy said "nah" to the offer of the interim tag so they decided to just let Ron finish the year.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

a neat cape posted:

Moore said he was never approached about the interim tag
Oh, whatever I read about it was wrong then. Thank you for correcting me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

He coached some good games and had some season ruining stinkers so I can see it. What I don’t understand is why Press Taylor still has a job.