Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Docjowles posted:

Also weirdly, Dan Campbell? Despite the off the charts high T meathead persona

Dan Campbell is a meathead, but some local reporting suggests that he exaggerates it for effect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

I mean, I'm reading this quote as the source close to Mac talking poo poo about Mac.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

SKULL.GIF posted:

It owns how the Rams traded for Stafford, immediately won a championship, and then all these other teams tried trading for their own franchise QB and ate poo poo.

Copycatting doesn't work!!

Yeah it's because Stafford rules while Wilson drools.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Schwartz might be a good hire for a bad team trying to achieve mediocrity, but definitely a bad hire for a mediocre team trying to be good.

Source: his Lions HC tenure.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
In a weird way I feel like Eberflus' seat has cooled off a bit in the last few weeks, between the Bears getting their first win (and showing life in their two most recent losses) and now Fields being out for an indeterminant amount of time. We're a long way from the start of the season where a mediocre Packers team hung 40 on them in Chicago and their DC left under what may or may not have been an FBI investigation. The scenario's already forming in my mind's eye where they use the "starting QB injury" mulligan, draft Caleb Williams with the higher of their two firsts, Eberflus gets a year to show he can make it work with a better(?) QB, and he gets replaced by...let's say Mike McCarthy, really anyone with the QB Whisperer tag assigned to them. Maybe he gets fired at the end of this season but I think he's out of midseason firing territory right now. Wheel in the sky keeps on turning.

Also, you think Brian Daboll is cool with the season NYG is having, and the sideline/media freakouts he's been caught in? TBF I may be inflating these in my memory, but this is not what a team that won a playoff game last year should look like.

E: Also I had a hatepost for Aaron Glenn (Lions DC) ready to go for this thread after their Seattle loss, but I held back and am glad that I did.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
PeePee McAdoodoo

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Acebuckeye13 posted:

There were a lot of people who wanted Glenn gone, especially after last year. It's really incredible the kind of turnaround the Lions' defense has had — going from one of the worst defenses in the league (Dead last in YPG, 28th in rushing yards per game, 29th in passing yards) to one of the best (Now 7th, 1st, and 18th, respectively) is a frankly spectacular turnaround.

hmmm

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
This is where I admit that my "McDaniels is probably a fine coach, he just shouldn't also have GM powers" take from a few years ago was wildly off-base.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Benne do you have a list of the coaches who were fired while on your Mild list? I swear this same thing happened last year.

E: Might be thinking of Gruden two years ago, which lmao

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Nov 1, 2023

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Funny story and a funny picture of McD.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Black Sunshine posted:

Is there any other coach who can challenge McDaniels as the most hated coach in NFL history? I'm having a hard time coming up with someone so universally despised by multiple fanbases.

Usually a coach is "hated" because he sucks or whatever but it's not true hatred, it's just frustration and at some point, as a human being you're like "well he's probably honestly trying his best but he's just not good at this so please go away" but with Josh I'd be pretty okay with watching him being tossed to a literal pack of wolves in the wilderness and letting nature take it's course.

I think there's something to be said about McD going scorched earth on Denver, and then getting to do it again on Oakland (and Indy in spirit). None of these other guys named have gotten a second chance (yet). Fool me once, etc.

Does Belichek count as most-hated if that hate is coming from outside of his team's fanbase?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
I'd feel awful for their respective fanbases but it would be extremely funny if McDaniels was somehow able to coach all four AFCW teams and get run out of town in all four cases. I know there's been a handful of HCs who have coached two teams in the same division, but how about 3+?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Look at what Ben Johnson has done with Goff and imagine what he could do with Allen.

Shut the gently caress up

:(

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

is pepsi ok posted:

There's a story in the book The Essential Smart Football about Sean Payton coaching his kid's 6th grade football team while he was suspended for bountygate. He easily beat every team during the regular season except for one that ran the single wing.

He ended up facing that same team in the finals that year, and before the game he called up Jon Gruden and asked him if he knew how to beat the single wing. They came up with a gameplan together, and then Payton's team went out and got smashed a second time.

Dudes Rock

Imagine you're a middle school gym teacher and you're 2-0 against a Super Bowl winning coach in pee-wee

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
As the great(?) Herm Edwards said, you play to win the game.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Somebody post AAAAAAAGGGG

Real ones know

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Kalli posted:

Reich will go to a rehab OC job, look great for a few years, then get another shot.

He was terrible and flailed, but come on, he got handed a lemon and an awfully built roster. Who would survive with that offensive cast?

He'll come to Detroit after Ben Johnson dips for LAC and I'll be sad.

Or maybe not, the Lions offensive roster is worlds better than Carolina's on paper.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
On the one hand, come back Duce
On the other hand, run game's been pretty good without him so ???

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

BlindSite posted:

Harbaugh and Billy 5 Aces opening as bookie's favourites for the panthers job. lol.

I wouldn't be shocked to see Harbs bounce if Michigan wins the natty and he somehow has a deal in place before the NCAA goes after him, but I can't imagine a worse place for him to coach right now. Based on the stories with Jed York in SF a decade ago he and Tepper would be physically assaulting each other.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

mcmagic posted:

His suspension is served and over.

Nah his three-game suspension was handed down by the Big Ten, the NCAA could still tag him with something. Probably just waiting to see how deep Michigan can go in the CFP.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

mcmagic posted:

they aren't going to do anything. there isn't even going to be any further investigation.

From your lips to God's ears.

As much as I don't want Johnson to leave, I'd much rather he go to the Chargers than the Panthers. And I think he's smart enough to know that whatever turned him off of the Panthers job last year probably hasn't changed.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
If Michigan wins the natty this year I will be OK with Harbs leaving the program. He may be leaving it regardless, we'll just have to wait and see.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
I don't think I would take Tomlin over Campbell in Detroit, but I'd at least sit through the pitch meeting.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
I won't say that Dan Campbell is anywhere near the hot seat, but he's in danger of learning a very important lesson about staying too loyal to a bad coordinator.

Simplex posted:

The Panthers job is so toxic that Kellen Moore is intentionally throwing his audition.

Also this but for Ben Johnson.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Was out with friends and forgot that this game was on until now

lmfao

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

a neat cape posted:

this was the good feeling I was talking about btw

You deserve happiness.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Congrats Dallas on your division title.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
I missed Matt Patricia chat but I'm workshopping a take that the Matt Patricia Lions were a more depressing experience than the Matt Millen Lions. The latter was at least darkly funny in spots, the former was just a horrible vibe from the first game onward. Keep that rear end in a top hat away from your team if you want them to succeed.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Docjowles posted:

Patricia getting shithoused by the Sam Darnold Jets in their mutual first game was pretty good vibes :unsmith: Both cause Patricia got owned and because for a hot second it looked like maybe the Jets had finally found a QB (lol)

It was exactly that game lol. I can't remember a fanbase ready to call it quits on a new regime so quickly and be correct in doing so.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
The only dynasty I support is the Lions dynasty that's taking root as we speak. Feel free to quote this post the first time I complain about Dan Campbell in next season's coaching thread.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Chris James 2 posted:

He just won the North, not only do I think his seat's cold for another two years minimum even if he lost out that whole period, I think a statue's planned (and deserved)

https://twitter.com/Lions/status/1739104949353476202?s=20

This ruled

Oh no question he's bought a couple years of job security, but show me a sports fan with a memory better than a goldfish and I'll show you a liar.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Matt Patricia has like bottom 3 vibes of any prominent coaching name currently employed in the NFL. Just a bad omen wherever he goes.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

I still don't know whether or not Glenn is a good coordinator, but that rating tracks with the vibe that I get from the Lions D. They may not be the best but they play their asses off for him, and maybe that's enough.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
I mean it'd be the most obvious mismatch between coach and owner since...well, the last time Jim was in the NFL. There's gotta be a word for a lie built upon truth but I'm blanking on it.

Also I have no idea why he'd be more interested in the Panthers roster than the Chargers or Raiders, beyond the hubris of "I can fix them".

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Agree with the assessment that Sirianni is safe for this season barring a truly catastrophic meltdown. They'll either have another division title on their belt or a (probable) softball WC opponent in the NFCS champ, and then he has the most obvious scapegoat firing in the world with Matt Patricia. Next year will for sure be a test though, especially if the Eagles have another good draft.

Also I was one of the first people to predict that Eberflus would be safe this season, feels nice to get one of these right for a change.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Diva Cupcake posted:

It is. Half these guys come from businesses where they’ll flush millions on a team of 26 year old McKinsey or Bain consultants that have little to no actual experience themselves because it places a wedge of responsibility in the decision making process and they can just say “not our fault, we hired the best!”

Can't remember which NFL franchise hired Korn Ferry to conduct a coaching search a few years back, but my wife was employed there for a year and change and absolutely hated it. This take is extremely correct based on what I saw from her.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

mcmagic posted:

The Saints are almost as good as the Jets at winning meaningless games that kill their draft position at the end of dead seasons.

Always take the opportunity to embarrass a division rival.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Can't remember where I saw earlier tonight that Atlanta went 7-10 each of the last three seasons, but that feels right. I think they're the team that I know the least about in the NFL, just zero identity and direction (positive or negative).

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Gatts posted:

One name not floating around is Jim Schwartz and I’m good with that because I want him back on the Browns rather than be poached for a HC.

Former Lions HC means teams are legally barred from hiring him as HC.

Seriously, go look at the list of Lions head coaches over the last 25+ years and their careers post-Detroit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Patricia is the easiest scapegoat in the world, so unless the Bucs blank them or something this weekend I think you dump pencil boy once the season's over and quietly tell Sirianni that he's on a hot seat to start 2024. Something has to change though, that team has a terrible vibe right now.