Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
*******FINAL SEASON UPDATES********

BACK FOR 2024

Sean McDermott, Buffalo Bills
Mike McDaniel, Miami Dolphins
Robert Saleh, New York Jets
John Harbaugh, Baltimore Ravens
Mike Tomlin, Pittsburgh Steelers
Kevin Stefanski, Cleveland Browns
Zac Taylor, Cincinnati Bengals
DeMeco Ryans, Houston Texans
Doug Pederson, Jacksonville Jaguars
Shane Steichen, Indianapolis Colts
Andy Reid, Kansas City Chiefs
Sean Payton, Denver Broncos
Mike McCarthy, Dallas Cowboys
Nick Sirianni, Philadelphia Eagles
Brian Daboll, New York Giants
Matt LaFleur, Green Bay Packers
Dan Campvell, Detroit Lions
Kevin O’Connell, Minnesota Vikings
Matt Eberflus, Chicago Bears
Todd Bowles, Tampa Bay Buccaneers
Dennis Allen, New Orleans Saints
Kyle Shanahan, San Francisco 49ers
Sean McVay, Los Angeles Rams
Jonathan Gannon, Arizona Cardinals

Josh McDaniels, Las Vegas Raiders (interim coach: Antonio Pierce)
Frank Reich, Carolina Panthers (interim coach: Chris Tabor)
Brandon Staley, Los Angeles Chargers (interim coach: Giff Smith)
Arthur Smith, Atlanta Falcons
Ron Rivera, Washington Commanders
Mike Vrabel, Tennessee Titans
Pete Carroll, Seattle Seahawks
Bill Belichick, New England Patriots

NEW COACHING HIRES

New England Patriots: Jerod Mayo (Patriots LBs coach)
Las Vegas Raiders: Antonio Pierce
Tennessee Titans: Brian Callahan (Bengals OC)
Los Angeles Chargers: Jim Harbaugh (Michigan)
Carolina Panthers: Dave Canales (Bucs OC)
Atlanta Falcons: Raheem Morris (Rams DC)
Seattle Seahawks: Mike Macdonald (Ravens DC)
Washington Commanders: Dan Quinn (Cowboys DC)

Hard to believe I’ve been doing this thread for a decade now. At some point I’ll dig through archives just to link the old ones for historical purposes.

WELCOME BACK to the TFF Hot Seat Watch, here for another fun season of speculating about grown men’s job statuses. 2022 was actually a pretty quiet year for the coaching carousel, only five jobs opened up when most years there’s at least six or seven. But it looks like we’ll have a good crop this year, and I’ll be keeping track every step of the way (or more like once or twice a month, I stopped doing weekly updates a long time ago).

Let’s get right into it. As usual, I don’t have any major-hot candidates to start off Week 1,we’re just feeling out the vibes here until the season gets a chance to develop.

COOL

Sean McDermott, Buffalo Bills
Mike McDaniel, Miami Dolphins
Robert Saleh, New York Jets
Mike Tomlin, Pittsburgh Steelers
John Harbaugh, Baltimore Ravens
Zac Taylor, Cincinnati Bengals
Doug Pederson, Jacksonville Jaguars
Mike Vrabel, Tennessee Titans
Andy Reid, Kansas City Chiefs
Josh McDaniels, Las Vegas Raiders
Nick Sirianni, Philadelphia Eagles
Brian Daboll, New York Giants
Mike LaFleur, Green Bay Packers
Kevin O’Connell, Minnesota Vikings
Dan Campbell, Detroit Lions
Matt Eberflus, Chicago Bears
Dennis Allen, New Orleans Saints
Arthur Smith, Atlanta Falcons
Kyle Shanahan, San Francisco 49ers
Pete Carroll, Seattle Seahawks
Sean McVay, Los Angeles Rams

Couple guys I’m keeping an eye on here. Saleh is basically in playoffs-or-bust territory, and boy could they bust hard if Rodgers doesn’t live up to the hype. I’d put McDaniels in Mild if Mark Davis wasn’t still paying like $40 million to a guy he fired two years ago. Eberflus didn’t show much in year 1, and if the Bears (and specifically Justin Fields) don’t make a leap I’d question what he’s actually doing there. The Falcons are probably overhyped but it’s time for Smith to make a real push in his third season. And the Saints are just whatever at this point.

FIRST-YEAR COACHES

Shane Steichen, Indianapolis Colts
DeMeco Ryans, Houston Texans
Sean Payton, Denver Broncos
Frank Reich, Carolina Panthers
Jonathan Gannon, Arizona Cardinals

Last year we got not one, but two one-and-done coaches, with Hackett Peter Principling his way out of Denver and the Texans doing what the Texans do. Will Houston make it three in a row? That’d be hilarious but Ryans seems like a real prospect and was in-demand. Payton is back to save Russ’ career, Reich gets a fresh start with a young QB, and Steichen will try to keep Irsay locked out of his office while he develops Anthony Richardson. The big buzzy name is Gannon, a widely panned hire on a team that’s ready to tear it down to the studs. Will he be the fall guy in their quest for Caleb? I guess we can only wait.

MILD

Bill Belichick, New England Patriots – Starting off with the non-controversial pick, obviously. It’s now been four years since Brady, five years since their last playoff win, and the Pats don’t seem any closer to finding a real identity. The Matt Patricia experiment was a disaster that would’ve gotten almost any other coach fired. Now it’s up to Bill O’Brien to get Mac Jones back on track and get this team headed … somewhere.

Would Robert Kraft be so bold as to fire the most accomplished coach in history? I’ll say no, but Belichick is clearly getting close to the finish line. Now 71 years old and only 21 wins away from breaking Don Shula’s record, that seems about as good an endpoint as any to ride off into the sunset. But going 8-9 again simply won’t be good enough for a franchise that’s gotten very used to winning in the 21st Century. Another mediocre season won’t make the angst go away.

Kevin Stefanski, Cleveland Browns – Three years ago Stefanski was beating the Steelers in the Wild Card round and was the toast of Cleveland. Now he’s hoping that the nasty quarterback can remember how to play football again. Die a hero, live long enough yadda yadda. I think we all know the score here – if Watson doesn't bounce back then a lot of heads are rolling for that contract.

Brandon Staley, Los Angeles Chargers – It’s easy to bring up 27-0. Almost too easy, in fact. So instead I’ll bring up another number: Zero, their number of playoff wins in three years with Justin Herbert. Only the Chargers could have a gifted QB in the middle of his prime and still feel like a disappointment. Really living up to the legacies of Fouts and Rivers. Anyway, Staley fired Joe Lombardi to save some face and brought in Kellen Moore from the Cowboys, so at least the offense should be more creative. But how high is this team’s ceiling if they’re always going to have “just” the second-best quarterback in their division?

Mike McCarthy, Dallas Cowboys – It wouldn’t be a hot seat thread without the Cowboys coach on it. I wrote about Jason Garrett for what felt like 30 years before they finally got rid of him. But yeah, another maddening playoff loss for a team that should be way better than Divisional Round fodder. Fat Mike is now calling the plays with Moore gone, so this has some real comedic potential. An 80-year-old Jerry Jones trying to chase one more ring? That should be hilarious to watch.

Ron Rivera, Washington Commanders – Respected coach but with underwhelming results and new ownership coming in? No way Rivera can relate, not at all. He’s now hitching his wagon to Sam Howell for … some reason. It’s a big risk, but they tried to play it safe with Carson Wentz last year, so maybe a big risk is what this team needs. Either Howell shocks us all or Rivera is looking for work by December. I don’t think there is any in-between.

Todd Bowles, Tampa Bay Buccaneers – I’m glad that Bowles got a second chance at HC, a shamefully rare trend for black coaches in the NFL. I’m also glad he got the time to remind us that, oh yeah, he’s still a pretty bad head coach! Weirdly enough it was Byron Leftwich who took the fall, a once-hot coaching prospect now completely out of work. I’m sure there’s nothing to that at all. Oh, and Mike Evans wants out and they’re starting Baker Mayfield on purpose. Things are going great!

Benne fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Feb 3, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
It would be extremely funny if McDaniels never gets to be Bill's successor because he got impatient and went on to poo poo the bed in Vegas

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
I do think they make the playoffs and render this discussion moot. There's too much talent on that roster not to, and even a diminished Rodgers is better than the poo poo they were trotting out last year.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
It's honestly a great bit that Nathaniel freakin Hackett is like the only coach Aaron has ever liked

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
I think we're done with full-scale relocation now that they finally got their LA teams (which was an important bargaining chip for decades). Fleeing to the richer (whiter) suburbs is the new hotness.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
McDermott isn't going anywhere unless performances like that become the new normal (it is the Bills so never say never)

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Folks, it is time for a Matt Eberflus dialogue

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
It's wild how Herbert is having almost the exact same career arc as Fouts and Rivers

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Matt Nagy went from Coach of the Year in 2018 to fired in 2021. Looks like Daboll is itching to break that record.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Kirios posted:

Are we...sure Eberflus is safe?

Absolutely not, especially if he's losing the locker room

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
As always, Cavauro is right

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
The Bears

Woooooof

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
The Bears traded a higher draft pick than the spot Chase Claypool was originally drafted in to get him

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
My conspiracy is that Aaron didn't want a good QB2 to threaten him

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
That entire article reeks of "hey guys, I talk to coaches!" Nearly every entry is just some anonymous source gassing up his buddies.

They did nail Steichen, Ryans, and Gannon last year, so the top of the list is worth paying attention to. Everything else may as well be a PR release.

Benne fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Sep 29, 2023

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
None of that even explains why he would be a good head coach, which is fundamentally different from being a good play designer.

A lot of teams are going to chase "the next Mike McDaniel" and end up with the next Kliff Kingsbury instead.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Sean Payton is stealing more Walmart money than Walmart steals from their own employees

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Vance Joseph has such a humiliating career arc.

Imagine getting fired from the Broncos, crawling back to that same team years later in a demoted role, and then getting fired again.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Let's just fire both coaches and get it over with

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
My only question about firing Eberflus midseason is, uh ... is there anyone in the building to replace him?

It's not like Getsy has earned a promotion, they don't even have a DC right now, and nobody else on the staff has previous HC experience, which is what cowardly owners usually value when they have to go to an interim (remember this is the McCaskeys we're talking about). I guess the special teams coordinator can keep the lights on for a few months?

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

mcmagic posted:

The Bears might really get the no 1 and no 2 picks lol

Williams and MHJ at the end of the rainbow sure is something.

So Williams can get ruined and Harrison can get traded 2 years later for not "fitting the culture"

Foolproof plan at Halas Hall

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

mcmagic posted:

Obviously there aren't enough black coaches or GMs but Ryans got a job pretty quickly, no? I think there is something to EB not interviewing well.

When people say a coach "doesn't interview well" it usually means "doesn't tell the owners what they want to hear."

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Everybody treated Sam Howell like a joke and Bieniemy has him looking competent to pretty good. He's so obviously the real deal at this point.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Ches Neckbeard posted:

4 of the last 8 coty winners deserve to be fired and they're all even year winners. Well Jason Garret and Matt Nagy have been.

Garrett is terrible in the NBC studio so you can argue he deserves to be fired a second time

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Ron Rivera has a losing record in eight of his 12 seasons, and somehow made the playoffs twice with a losing record. He is Jeff Fisher with a better PR department.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
When your job is definitely safe

https://twitter.com/MySportsUpdate/status/1710342498290143471

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Interim job is a terrible idea for Bieniemy unless he wants his career to stall out even more

Taking over a bad team that's checked out just so ownership can say "welp he got his chance"

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

mcmagic posted:

If he takes over and they play better than embarrassing and pathetic like last night he'll probably get the job full time.

Ask Steve Wilks how that worked out

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Ches Neckbeard posted:

Bienemy has the hotshot young (for the NFL) OC thing going. I really don't see why it would be bad for him to take the interim especially if it comes with firing Del Rio. He leads them to .500 with Sam Howell of all people that's only upping his resume. There's every reason to not give a single poo poo under Rivera but Bienemy is a really candidate and would be a splash hire for new ownership. The roster isn't exactly bad (outside Howell) either. The Commies don't HAVE to be bad this year.

Historically, interim coaches promoted to full-time have a vanishingly low success rate, with way more Mike Singletarys than Dan Campbells. From the ownership's perspective, they want a flashy new hire, not to just keep the interim guy and make it look like they "settled." And from the coach's perspective, you're effectively shutting yourself out of the market if you're in demand.

There's just very little upside and a ton of risk, especially for a guy like Bienemy who's trying to jumpstart his career. Coaches hate interim jobs because it's viewed as a dead end, often for good reason.

Benne fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Oct 6, 2023

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Diva Cupcake posted:

Both Dan Campbell and Todd Bowles leveraged interim gigs into their resumes for head positions.

Evero didn't take it because he's been BFFs with Hackett since college. He only took the DC position because of him and wanted out after he was gone.

Campbell had to wait 5 years and his interim run was largely seen as a joke. Bowles waited 3 years and needed a successful run as DC (plus the backing of Arians) to get the Jets job. I don't think either of those guys got a major boost from being a caretaker for half a season.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

This is dangerous misinformation and lies

The Patriots have actually been outscored 69-3 in their last eight quarters

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Kraft is 82 years old, does he want to sit through a long rebuild? I think the wacky bullshit is just getting started whenever Bill finally leaves.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Here's the actual source because I refuse to allow Dov Kleiman content in my thread:

https://twitter.com/_adamcrowley/status/1711370039981465882

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
So that's why his offense is never on schedule

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Mega64 posted:

Also we haven't had a proper OP update yet, hoping we get one after this week's games. Should be fun to see where OP stands on certain coaches compared to other media outlets.

I was planning to do one this week but came down with the sickness. Next week for sure!

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Courtland Sutton was great, he just hasn't looked the same since his ACL.

Jerry Jeudy always kind of sucked though.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
I've seen enough, Arthur Smith sucks

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
The national media is now talking about "wow Zach Wilson actually looks pretty competent" in the same way that you'd congratulate a 3-year-old for going poopy in the potty instead of smearing it on the walls. The bar is incredibly low for Jets fans.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Dan Quinn still can't get a job and unlike Schwartz he actually coached a Super Bowl team. I don't think many of these DC types are as hot as media members say they are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Relentlessboredomm posted:

Didn’t Dan Quinn turn down the Denver job last year? Or was that all agent bullshit?

My money's on the latter. We spent like 3 years going "Dan Quinn will definitely get hired" and then Dan Quinn not getting hired.