Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
San Diego Chargers. Anaheim Angels. Seattle Thunder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Nervous posted:

It was the Seattle Supersonics heathen.

:thejoke:

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

How much longer can you really keep doing this every week with Staley? This team is anti-clutch under him. If Jerry West and Robert Horry are the pictures of Los Angeles clutch, the Chargers are the antonym.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

a neat cape posted:

This isn't a Staley problem, it's every chargers coach. Nothing will ever change while Spanos owns the team.

Anyway Staley and Telesco are gone after the season, lots of big names are gonna get cut, and Herbert is going to flounder under another first time head coach until he's also fired after year 3

I remember a few years where the Chargers specifically kept squeezing the Titans out of the playoffs by having late season surges that snuck them into the playoffs, like, the early Norv years. But lately... just insanely frustrating. Feel for you guys.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

It's wild how the Jags came out of that disaster with an actual good coach and division win the next year.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Benne posted:

This is dangerous misinformation and lies

The Patriots have actually been outscored 69-3 in their last eight quarters

Nice.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Benne posted:

Ben McAdoo, goofy TV dad

The dad after the show takes a dark turn in Season 3

this is a tim heidecker character evolution

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Reading Sun Tzu so I can coach the Raiders.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

this, to me, is funnier than the fortune cookie story

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Benne posted:

BetOnline has new odds on "next coach fired." Some ... interesting names at the top.

code:
Matt Eberflus 9/4
Frank Reich 5/2
Ron Rivera 5/1
Bill Belichick 7/1
Mike Vrabel 10/1
Brandon Staley 12/1
Todd Bowles 12/1
Matt LaFleur 18/1
Dennis Allen 40/1
Kevin O'Connell 40/1
Kevin Stefanski 40/1

Don't really get Vrabel at all. Team's stripping down for a rebuild, so what's Vrabel's sin, not understanding the assignment and having them play better than their personnel? Also, the Browns are playing a bit too well for Stefanski to get serious consideration, but I guess the whole team being run on wildcard logic makes it more possible. Also don't think Allen should be getting that much ire since the Saints are doing better than I expected.

Rest of these kinda justify themselves.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Benne posted:

I can only assume it's whiny Titans fans and/or their division rivals betting up Vrabel (remember these aren't predictions)

I mean, from a superficial perspective, it makes sense what with the Titans trending downwards for the second straight year in a row, but it ignores a lot of context with the roster and such.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Relentlessboredomm posted:

Allen is very very bad and the Saints are only beating the absolute dregs. The man actively makes the team worse, hell there was a stretch late in the game with the Bears where they were only up 1 score and they kept punting on their own 40. It was maddening. As a Bucs fan I hope they keep him around bc that dude’s never doing better than like a 8-9 / 9-8 division win over a truly garbage NFC S division and even that’s his absolute ceiling

In general with the NFC South this year you gotta keep in mind we have the softest of soft schedules and still every team looks BAD

I can see what you mean, and Allen is definitely a mediocre coach, but I'm used to seeing defensive coaches do a poor job defensively for their teams, and I think the Saints D is one of their better aspects. If there was a way to get rid of the man at the top while not losing that edge, that'd be preferable for New Orleans.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

In the name of Love, what more (interceptions) in the name of Love....

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Docjowles posted:

These are all funny options but Bill owns a boat that he renames every time he wins another ring (RIP the future income of his boat painter) and he's probably going to just fart around the Florida coast like every other wealthy old white guy whenever he cashes out

I refuse to spoiler this content

Tarantino-rear end shot.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

I know the Spanos are cheap, but Staley has to be gone if he loses to the Packers, right?

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

fartknocker posted:

Yeah, that's been the Chargers for many, many years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UAL5X3TRA2A

It's wild, because fifteen years ago, the Chargers MO seemed to be really sluggish starts and then figuring it out and making a big run in the second half of the season. The Staley Era though has been like a mirror of the Angels: "We have the ingredients to win, now let's find a way to lose anyway."

Probably Magic fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Nov 19, 2023

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

the defense that, to be clear, could not stop jordan love

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

The fact this Titans team won 3 games instead of, like, 1, is testament to Vrabel for me. Kelly has to go, his playcalling is uninspired on top of everything else. Bowen... I don't know, eh.

a neat cape posted:

I'm very tired.

I think you're a Padres fan so this probably won't mean anything, but as a very casual Angels fan, I so get that. Like, Herb deserves better this. He just does.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

a neat cape posted:

I'm an Angels fan

Lol gently caress. Well... same.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

riverboated out of town

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Kirios posted:

Vibes, yes, and a clear step forward without him.

I don’t get any perception from Packer fans that they miss him - in fact I think a ton of them were done with his antics.

Pretty easy to not miss someone who isn't even playing this year. I doubt Aaron's ever really going to come back in a meaningful way either, he was looking well-done even before the injury.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Feeling proud that my dogshit team is the one that gets coaches fired this year if they lose to them.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Why Tabor over Caldwell? Does Jim just not want to be an HC ever again?

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

What's wild to me is, I get the arguments for Young's motivation, but of all the backups to veto jumping in while your rookie fixes his mechanics in practice a bit more, and it's Andy Dalton? Like, the Jets would probably kill to have an Andy Dalton right now. Why would you have as quality a backup as that and say, "Bryce can never take a break and prepare more." It's not like he'd be briefly losing the job to Easton Stick or whatever, it's a dude with significant starting time in the league. Why do you even have Dalton if you're never going to consider playing him.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Dalton is good enough that the team would actually be in contention for the South this year with him starting, which means Bryce wouldn’t be starting at all this season. The problem with having a decent backup for your rookie QB is they’re probably going to be better than the rookie QB for at least a while so you really can’t switch back and forth during the season unless you really want to create havoc.

I'm not sure if I quite agree with that. Tannehill would be a quality backup on most teams for the same reason as Andy, but Levis has outplayed him so that even coming back from the injury it's Levis going forward. Meanwhile, Dalton is currently outplaying Young, so if it's a true meritocracy, you try Young out, see he's not there yet, and stick with Andy.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

R.D. Mangles posted:

wow you're telling the steelers were good when they had a hall of fame quarterback and mediocre when they have poo poo quarterbacks? must be the coach.

If anything, Pittsburgh has been massively overachieving this year considering their qb situation.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

A lot of thorough cases condemning Saleh, but I will be the one defender that he made Zack Wilson an offensive player of the week for one week.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

BlindSite posted:

You never know he might be on the Epstein client list and forced to sell the team

Lol, it's going to be a bigger question of what franchise owners aren't on that list though.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Arthur Smith should get kicked just for not leaning hard on Bijan.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Kirios posted:

BoB has really matured since his time with the Texans. I think he and the Raiders would be a perfect fit.

man, what did the raiders ever do to you?

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

What I've liked about Vrabel is he's taken some really banged up defensive units and still had them playing meaningfully late in the season. That matters a lot, more than taking a shot on a potential offensive whiz kid who then doesn't know what they're doing (like Arthur Smith!), so I'd much rather we just have hire an offensive ccordinator who doesn't get into predictable gut run/gut run/pass on third and long cycles for once.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Dumb as gently caress. Who are we going to get? We're easily the latest entrant into the coaching race. Why has the past three years of this team just been a series of shot feet?

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Wonder if this is over Will Levis somehow. Vrabel started him but I'm not sure he ever had full confidence in him. Might have wanted a different QB to work with and the Titans said, "No," but that's extreme conjecture. Definitely want a post-mortem on this.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

kalensc posted:

Oh, I forgot that the Titans had confirmed Mularkey would be back after his playoff win, only to about-face a few days later. There's chatter that Adams Strunk is rather aimless, initially indicating confidence in going one way before changing plans without an obvious impetus.

https://theathletic.com/5186917/2024/01/09/mike-vrabel-fired-titans/

Article lost me hard when it criticized the Robinson firing as nonsensical. Yeah, it's weird how getting dominated by AJ Brown in a game after trading him will make you question a GM's ability! I don't think Adams Strunk has been the most stable owner, but losing confidence in Robinson is not the most absurd choice in the world.

If these leaks are anything to go by, I'm wondering if Bill not being totally ready to "part ways" with New England is just throwing a wrench in everyone's plans, which is what the "doing a trade would take too long" means, because by the time Bill makes a decision one way or another, the coaching roulette is exhausted and you're hosed (and the Titans probably don't get Belichick in the meantime). So better off jumping in, especially if someone has your interest, and whatever goodwill is there isn't because Vrebel clearly wanted to move on, preferably to New England. It's... not aimless, but it is a maelstrom of circumstances that could potentially gently caress the Titans, but I'd like to think if there's this much urgency to get in on the coaching search that there's already a coaching target. I'm going to reserve judgement until I see who the Titans hire. I don't think this is the end of the world, but it could be. Too soon to tell.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Bismack Billabongo posted:

Yeah, nothing against rexrode generally but how anybody could defend Jon Robinson after seeing the state of this team last season and this season is beyond me.

I even wrote a post-mortem on Twitter talking about how a lot of teams could probably do worse than having Jon Robinson as their GM, but yeah, You gently caress Around And Trade Half Your Team's Offensive Identity Away, You Find Out.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Bismack Billabongo posted:

I don’t recall there being any smoke about them targeting mcdaniels but they did fire mularkey even though he won a playoff game. They got waxed by New England after that win and then he got canned

He would've kept his job but he insisted on keeping absolutely terrible personnel around, made his own undoing there.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Codependent Poster posted:

I thought Vrabel was done early in the season when the Titans were clearly not going to win the division like some people thought. Just got those vibes.

...who the gently caress thought the Titans were going to win the division last year?

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Did you read the AFC South thread? Like the majority of it at the start of the year was Titans fans talking about the playoffs and Big Jeff

The Authoritative Posting that is AFC South posters memeing, lol.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

You can also find stuff like https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/2023-nfl-season-predictions-picking-super-bowl-playoff-teams-plus-final-standings-for-all-32-teams/ where you had someone pick them to win it and everyone thought they'd at least be second.

Sorry your team was a lot worse than everyone thought lol

This is some pathetic posting, man. Yeah, Stroud turned out to be better than people thought, which means the hopes for a team that just fired their GM and was clearly bracing for a rebuild disappointed for their lofty projections this year. All this tells me is Titans fans absolutely need to keep memeing because it's clearly making everyone else melt down in envy of fans actually liking their team even when they're bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Think we found out what was killing the plans to trade Vrabel away.