Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

After both the Pats and Browns miss the playoffs this year the Browns trade yet more future picks away for Belichick.

They continue to be mediocre.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

SKULL.GIF posted:

Wouldn't that be a point in favor of keeping Saleh? You can't really blame him for a QB being taken out behind the shed by Father Time.

He’s currently got an 11-23 all time record. If they have another mediocre to bad season what’s the argument for keeping him? Yea, maybe he got dealt a bad hand with QBs but so does most every other coach that gets fired because they can’t put together a single good season in three years.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

SKULL.GIF posted:

Green Bay doesn't have a billionaire who can bankroll the team through lean years. They explicitly have something like $400 million stashed away in a reserve fund for this reason. It's been a while since I looked at the numbers but iirc the majority of the Packers' income comes from the revenue share.

If the team starts sucking for an extended period of time the league won't hesitate to move the franchise, they won't care about all the cute little bylaws forbidding this.

Rich billionaire owners are the reason teams move in the first place, since they like to pit cities against each other to get public money to build new stadiums to hold non-football events to get even richer. The league generally begrudgingly accepts moves, rather than pushes for them. Green Bay is one of the top 5 least likely teams to ever move, for historical and economic reasons.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

D-LINK posted:

1. Green Bay Packers
2. Dallas Cowboys
3. Pittsburgh Steelers
4. ?
5. ?

Those were top three I could think of, I just said five because it’s a nice round number. But if I had to fill out the top five I’d probably put the Giants and Bears in there as well. I’m talking leaving their home market entirely, not just moving to the suburbs, which the Bears seem pretty intent on doing.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

fsif posted:

The Pegulas threatened to move to Austin of all places during stadium negotiations.

Saints to San Antonio was the big threat before they won a Super Bowl. Texas seems like the most obvious candidate for a relocation.

Or London.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

a neat cape posted:

It seems hosed up that this is already year 7 in LA

What the gently caress?!

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

kalensc posted:

Unless a clearly superior coaching candidate wants to inherit that sort of mess, then why can Saleh? Are you selling off Sauce & co and tanking? If not, then why dump the coach that has worked well on that side of the ball?

Why would they sell off their best players and tank? I’m sure the next DC would appreciate having great players to work with and maybe the next coach and GM can do something about the terribly mismanaged QB and OL situations.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Diva Cupcake posted:

They took a swing at an all-time great QB and it took a blood curse for that to fail.

He was nearly 40 and spent most of last year injured, him getting hurt in some way was hardly a long shot.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Nodoze posted:

Are we even sure Carr would have picked the Jets over the Saints given that he's friends with Dennis Allen

Impossible to say since the Jets made very clear that they didn’t really want him, but I doubt he’d have met with them if he wasn’t open to going there and it’s certainly a better roster situation than New Orleans.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

rjmccall posted:

I’m not saying that everything is perfect in Jetsland, but I am saying that this attitude that the Jets defense is secretly really bad and everyone involved should be fired is exactly what drives me crazy about sports fans around here. Just a total inability to appreciate anything that’s going well.

What’s the point of keeping a coach and GM who can build a great defense if they still can’t get you more than 7 wins a year?

They’ve had some poo poo luck but that’s true of basically every coach/GM that gets fired. At some point you are your record and it’s looking like they’re going to be well below .500 at the end of three years.

Nobody should aspire to be the Jeff Fisher Rams.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

It's a sunk cost at this point. They wasted two years on Wilson and now one year on Rodgers. You wanna gamble ANOTHER year on a 40 year old QB coming off an achilles?

They can’t move on from Rodgers next year, they’d have like 65 million in dead money.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Definitely need to see another year after this one to know for sure if he’s the guy.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Ches Neckbeard posted:

It's like these young defensive wunderkin are dependent on talent more than their scheme's.

Eberflus is 53, I don’t think he really qualifies as a young defensive wunderkind. He’s been coaching football for 30+ years.

I don’t think he’s really a creative or exotic scheme guy either, he just does cover 2 with a 4-3 front.

YOLOsubmarine fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Sep 25, 2023

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Hot Diggity! posted:

Bears paid for two ILBs after trading away Smith after doing nothing to upgrade their anaemic pass rush and lovely secondary

Da Bears

Can’t go too crazy in free agency, gotta save that cape space for the future you will never see because your team loving sucks and you’re going to get fired.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

SKULL.GIF posted:

Sean Payton may possibly be a first-year candidate. The Broncos openly quit on him today.

Don’t think there’s any chance of this. The Broncos have sunk too much into him and Russ, they can’t cut bait on either so soon. Payton is also still generally well thought of around the league and that job would become as toxic as the bears job if they fired him after a year.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Docjowles posted:

I mean other than trading Chubb (to the Dolphins!) I don't think they had a major exodus of talent on the defensive side of the ball. The defense went from one of the best in the league to atrocious, and the most significant changes were coaching

The defense started falling apart at the end of last season. They gave up 51 to the Baker lead, Cooper Kupp-less Rams. 24 points to the Trace McSorely Cardinals. They went from giving up like 17 points a game to about 30 over the last 5 games.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Docjowles posted:

I attributed this to the team completely quitting on Hackett but who knows. Immediately after he was fired they played the Chiefs close and beat the Chargers, forcing multiple turnovers in each

The Chargers losing games they should win is just expected at this point. They still have up 27 and 28 points in those games which isn’t exactly a stellar defensive performance.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

SpaceDrake posted:

As was pointed out in another thread - a snap firing from this week isn't likely, despite my initial gut feelings on the matter.

If they lose against the Bears and the Jets, though...

like it really does feel like the potential for a 0-17 run is there, and I'm not sure the team as it exists can survive that. and it doesn't matter how good the offense gets if this is what we can expect from the d this year.

Come on, 0-17 is not going to happen. It’s extremely hard to not win a single game in an NFL season. The Broncos are bad but they aren’t “one of the worst teams of all time” bad.

The 2011 colts were actively tanking and lost a game by 55 points and still didn’t go 0-16.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

They're paying Payton 18 million a year and he's owed like 85 million still. He's not going anywhere unless the owners are gonna start leaking more emails.

Payton is safe but Paton isn’t.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

seiferguy posted:

Can't believe I'm gonna defend Russ, but Russell Wilson wasn't the reason they gave up 70 points, lol. He actually had a decent game! His one INT was a tip, and his receivers did him no favors.

That said, my working theory is the game evolved while Payton was being a hack analyst and he didn't keep up.

He was out of coaching for one year, I don’t think this is a “game passed him by” situation, or at least not in the year he was away. If it passed him by it was a while ago and it just wasn’t obvious because Brees was so good at running his offense and once Brees was gone he still had a roster of hand picked players who knew what he wanted.

But I think in this case it’s just that Denver’s offensive talent isn’t great and they haven’t had good offensive coaching in almost a decade so it’s going to be an uphill battle to get them functional on that side of the ball.

As far as the defense goes, that’s clearly never been Payton’s strong suit. He had a bunch of really bad defenses before he found Allen.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Joseph is gone after this game, Payton’s future is going to depend on whether he can find anyone to elevate the defense to “merely bad.”

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

a neat cape posted:

Vance is Sean's scapegoat for later in the season. Much too early to fire him

Unless they manage to pull out a win here I’m not sure he will have the luxury of waiting. Losing to this Bears team has to have consequences.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Benne posted:

My only question about firing Eberflus midseason is, uh ... is there anyone in the building to replace him?

It's not like Getsy has earned a promotion, they don't even have a DC right now, and nobody else on the staff has previous HC experience, which is what cowardly owners usually value when they have to go to an interim (remember this is the McCaskeys we're talking about). I guess the special teams coordinator can keep the lights on for a few months?

I don’t think it could get any worse so the real risk is that the interim is better and costs them the first pick.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

I don’t think it’s *purely* racism that’s held Bienemy back (just mostly racism) but the “he’s too hard on players,” thing is so transparently stupid it’s hardly worth engaging with. You have this endless string of mediocre humorless white dipshits preaching about effort and grit and hustle and all that poo poo who land head coaching jobs but I’m supposed to believe that GMs and owners are worried about hiring a guy who will ask players to work hard?

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Relentlessboredomm posted:

Just wanna point out that those except Lynn are defensive guys.

The racism in the league is worse on the offensive side of the ball bc for ages its been purely the purview of former white qbs.

At this point there's no excuses, he's clearly a very loving good offensive coach, he's got Reid's explicit backing for an HC position (which btw Reid's tree is pretty loving good so that should mean something), and most importantly he's got Sam Howell looking competent and dangerous.

Thankfully Byron Leftwich didn’t take the Jags HC job or he would have set other black offensive coaches back decades.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

mcmagic posted:

The POC coach who got hosed over the most is Steve Wilks. He had that lovely franchise playing it's best football in like 15 years and he gets canned for some mediocre retread white guy.

The Panthers went 6-6 under him and missed the playoffs in a very bad division. They went 15-1 and went to the Super Bowl in 2016.

syzpid posted:

Wilks had one of the best interim records from a coach in the last 20 years and probably deserved the Panthers job or a second HC job somewhere

He went .500 and couldn’t beat a moribund Tampa team to make the playoffs. Bisaccia went 7-5 with the Raiders and actually made the playoffs and he’s back to being a ST coordinator.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

ozymandius1024 posted:

If Pineiro doesn't shank a chip shot in ATL, they're 7-5 under him. With Sam loving Darnold and PJ Walker at QB.

He had Baker too until he released him. Baker isn’t a world but he can perform with good coaching, as evidenced by his play this year.

Yes, Wilks got dealt a bad hand in Arizona and he did a respectable job as an interim, but he had 12 games to make his case and lost half of them. Yea, they beat the Lions. Bad teams beat good teams all the time in the NFL. They also lost to Atlanta, Pitt and Tampa, three bad teams. Any one of those games probably wins them the division.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

mcmagic posted:

They played better under Wilks than they are playing this year by a good margin. They are gonna win 1-2 games this season. They also likely hosed up the no 1 pick.

Yea, but just because they made a bad hire doesn’t mean Wilks was a good one. Saying he had them looking the best they have in 15 years is just nuts.

They’ll probably improve some once a Reich is forced to give up play calling halfway through the year.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Grozz Nuy posted:

It's pretty funny that people have completely memory holed that the nickname was originally meant to be ironic

He did actually get more aggressive about going for it on 4th and 1 a couple of years into his tenure in Carolina.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Docjowles posted:

Fixed for how NFL teams actually work

But yeah agree Bieniemy should turn that poo poo down even if it's offered to him. Just like Evero did in Denver. Keep the stink of being the captain of a sinking ship off you as much as possible

I’m not sure that’s really going to work out for Evero given how the Panthers season is going.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

FizFashizzle posted:

the panthers turned down 2 first rounders for brian burns

goooooooooooooooood god

Panthers had what may have been one of the worst off seasons ever between the picks they gave up, the picks they didn’t take, and the coach they hired.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

I feel like too often good football players are lovely people so you rarely get the pleasure of watching them fail. I’m glad Jones sucks as bad at football as he does as a person.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Grozz Nuy posted:

I dunno if Belichick would sign on to any other team unless they also gave him personnel power, at which point that team would just end up with the same problems as New England.

Maybe he cares enough about breaking Shula's record that he'd be willing to set his ego aside and report to a GM, but I kind of doubt it.

Some team would absolutely hire him and give him whatever he wants.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Diva Cupcake posted:

He spent $250m in the offseason on free agents. The cupboard wasn't entirely bare.

80% of that was basically just signing a tackle, guard and DL to replace the tackle, guard and DL they lost in FA.

I think Payton taking that job was idiotic and arrogant but the roster is objectively bad and it’s bad in a way that a single offseason of spending couldn’t possible fix.

YOLOsubmarine fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Oct 13, 2023

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Timby posted:

That contract's a spicy meatball.

He’s going to be on the team but that doesn’t mean he’s going to be starting. They’re bad enough to be in the hunt for Williams or Maye.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Kalli posted:

I don't think he'll be on the team. His $37m 2025 salary becomes guaranteed if he is.

If Russ stinks enough to be benched, he's getting cut and the Broncos are just going to take a brutal dead cap hit next year.

It’s a Sean Payton team now, they’ll just renegotiate his contract to lower the 2025 cap hit in exchange for paying him 10 million a year until 2035.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

wandler20 posted:

I don't even get how this is still a discussion. If you lose your starting QB, you're hosed, end of story.

Having a competent backup is pretty important if you’re a team with Super Bowl aspirations. Even if you don’t lose them for the season you might lose them for a few games here and there and those games can be the difference between home field and a bye and being a wild card team.

There’s no excuse for having Zack Wilson as QB2 if you’re trying to compete for superbowls.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

ozymandius1024 posted:

Dan Campbell is a great example. He got an opportunity to be interim for an awful Dolphins team, ate poo poo, and had to go back to being a coordinator for years before he got the Lions job. He wasn't a hotshot coordinator like a lot of guys are, and by the letter of the law you could call him a retread, but he's rewarding the Lions faith.

Campbell was never a coordinator at all, he was a TE coach and in NO he had an assistant Head Coach title, which basically meant Payton liked him a lot and mentored him. I wouldn’t really call him a retread, interims are just there to go down with the ship.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Chris James 2 posted:

I think he stays but can definitely see him re-retiring. He thought he was getting an easy ride with Russ, neither he nor the team are making it easy on him, and the question of if he'll want to be around for a rebuild not only will be present, it will make him think back to how good he had it on ESPN and chilling on couches not worrying about this poo poo except maybe as a fan

I’d be surprised if he retires, his personality is football and drugs and he stopped doing drugs a while ago so football is all he’s got. The fact that he took a job as bad as Denver instead of waiting around for the Chargers or Cowboys to open up is proof that he was bored out of his mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Simplex posted:

I just wonder if he was willing to stick around for a strip it down to the foundations rebuild, then why didn't he stay and do that in New Orleans? I can see a situation where he doesn't really want to keep coaching this team, and ownership isn't exactly desperate to keep him.

I really don’t know, but it’s possible he was just burnt out and needed a break or thought he was ready to retire, then realized retirement is boring as poo poo and talked himself into taking a job he probably shouldn’t have.