Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

I can definitely seeing Belichick retiring before the record because this could be a 4 year slog of 6 to 8 win seasons. He’s not giving up any power and Kraft doesn’t care enough at this point to fire him.

There’s a world where Saleh and Douglas are fired but based on current vibes that seems super low percentage. His record is what it is but this was full tear down after the Gase debacle and now the roster hasn’t been this good in 15 years. It needs to translate to wins though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Yeah pretty much. His "gameday advantage", not sure how you quantify that, is that he took their team defense from 31st in the league to top 5 and his defensive line to probably top 3 in the league and he did it in 2 years.

No one thinks he's surviving a wet fart of a non-playoff season where Rodgers stays healthy and they finish 4th in the division though. His fellow 2021 hires in Staley and Arthur Smith and Dan Campbell are all probably fired as well if they did the same.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Kalli posted:

Hell, they could be like 2-4 even if Rodgers is good out of the gate, plus they have a stinky early bye

Bills
@Cowboys
Patriots
Chiefs
@Broncos
Eagles
<bye>

I see 5-1.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Benne posted:

It's honestly a great bit that Nathaniel freakin Hackett is like the only coach Aaron has ever liked
He also really like Alex Van Pelt I guess? He has his guys.

quote:

Appearing on ESPN Radio's Golic & Wingo from the Super Bowl in Minneapolis on Thursday, Rodgers said some of the Packers' offseason coaching changes were "a little strange."

"Well, my quarterback coach didn't get retained," Rodgers said when asked for specifics. "I thought that was an interesting change, really without consulting me. There's a close connection between quarterback and quarterback coach, and that was an interesting decision."

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

SKULL.GIF posted:

???

?????????

Sorry are you going to tell me that the NFL doesn't have revenue sharing??????????????? Or is this yet another dumbass loving comment from a dumbass loving poster???
I think he’s just saying that the Packers are getting their ~$400m per year from revenue sharing regardless if they’re good or bad.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Gully Foyle posted:

Arthur Smith I think will get a pass if the Falcons don't do anything because this a QB evaluation year for Ridder.
One neat trick to staying employed is to keep changing your starting QB every year.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

I would keep both Douglas and Saleh. The roster as a whole is 10000% better than what was inherited from the Maccagnan/Gase era. It’s not even arguable. I think they have the best roster in the division outside of QB.

Yeah they whiffed on the drafted QB. So did everyone else. Trevor is the only in that class worth a drat they didn’t have the opportunity to take him. They took a swing at an all-time great QB and it took a blood curse for that to fail.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

YOLOsubmarine posted:

He was nearly 40 and spent most of last year injured, him getting hurt in some way was hardly a long shot.
I’ll stick with blood curse over his broken thumb causing his Achilles to explode.
https://twitter.com/albertbreer/status/1701617307775021442?s=46&t=DcBXErlGIUJUj8quAgYfkQ

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

mcmagic posted:

Unless there is a no brainer coaching hire available, there is no way the Jets will be able to find the next great coordinator for their next coach. The jets aren't well coached but this is a roster construction issue with a GM who has royally hosed up QB and OL for as long as he's been here.

He’s a defensive head coach. Their defense since he took over went from like 31st in the league to top 3 minimum. How can you pretend his coaching isn’t responsible?

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

mcmagic posted:

It's players, not scheme. Their talent is way better than when they took over so they are better. I think their scheme is pretty mediocre.
The scheme is obviously working for the players they have. Quinnen was underwhelming and you bitched about him being drafted until Saleh unlocked him. Guys like JFM, and Quincy Williams, and DJ Reed were either waiver pickups or mid-tier FA that he turned into top-flight talent. Bryce Huff. Michael Carter II. These aren't guys with pedigree but he gets massive production out of. That's good coaching.

Would you prefer schematic defensive super genius Brandon Staley?

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

mcmagic posted:

They get killed on screens and draws because it's too predicable and they play too much cover 2 but any scheme is going to look good with the amount of talent they have on the DL right now. It's not like they are outsmarting anyone.... their guys are winning their 1 on 1s.

It's not because it's predictable; that's literally how quarters coverage works. It's exploitable through underneath routes because assuming 4 rushers, you only have 3 linebackers or 2 linebackers and a safety to cover a large swatch of field close to the LOS. You do this to take away the deep game, which they've been wildly successful at.

It works against Josh Allen particularly because he's not wired to play in a manner to beat it.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

In retrospect the correct move was Penei Sewell I guess.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Sooooo….. Brandon Staley?

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Payton is also still generally well thought of around the league and that job would become as toxic as the bears job if they fired him after a year.
Is he? It really seems like most the league thinks he's a huge rear end in a top hat who runs his mouth and wants to embarrass him?

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

The Broncos handed out like $250 million in free agent contracts this offseason.

Zach Allen, DE, 3 year $47.75 million
Jarrett Stidham, QB, 2 year $10 million
Ben Powers, OG, 4 year $51.5 million
Alex Singleton, LB, 3 year $18 million
Mike McGlinchey, RT, 5 year $87.5 million
Samaje Perine, RB, 2 year $7.5 million
Chris Manhertz, TE, 2 year $6 million
Frank Clark, DE, 1 year $5.75 million

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Didn’t Payton almost hire Rex and went the boring route with Vance instead?

What I’m saying is that the NFL is better with Rex in the league.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Matt Milano is a piece of poo poo cheap shot artist. Bieniemy is wrong.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Wilks is on Niners rehab now. He’s going to own a top 5 defense for the next two years and get another crack at a HC gig.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

I would like Josh McDaniels to remain employed because otherwise he’ll immediately go back to the Patriots and they might figure out how to play offense again.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

He’s not coaching a middling non-playoff team for another 4 years just to get a record. Does Bill Belichick , general manager, plan on upgrading the team as well?

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Forrest on Fire posted:

If you do well you're not getting a HC job either, you're stuck taking another Assistant gig
Both Dan Campbell and Todd Bowles leveraged interim gigs into their resumes for head positions.

Docjowles posted:

But yeah agree Bieniemy should turn that poo poo down even if it's offered to him. Just like Evero did in Denver. Keep the stink of being the captain of a sinking ship off you as much as possible
Evero didn't take it because he's been BFFs with Hackett since college. He only took the DC position because of him and wanted out after he was gone.

Diva Cupcake fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Oct 6, 2023

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

https://twitter.com/jeffphowe/status/1712064975894642842?s=46&t=DcBXErlGIUJUj8quAgYfkQ

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

He's 71. Not counting Romeo Crennel as an interim HC, Marv Levy is the oldest modern era at 72. I think he'd just retire if he were forced out.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Teams itching to hire Bill and his DC.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Also, that article by a looped in guy like Howe is a shot across the bow by Kraft. He wanted it out there.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Relentlessboredomm posted:

eh I still think Peyton's a good coach, he's walking into an absolutely bare cupboard and a significantly worse defensive unit from last year but its good for him to get humbled a bit here

He spent $250m in the offseason on free agents. The cupboard wasn't entirely bare.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

CharlestheHammer posted:

Saleh is in a personal hell where he has to save his job every two weeks
Like, in the broken minds of TFF posters I guess? There's zero smoke there. Neither him nor Douglas are getting fired.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Hypothetically if your backup QB is getting starters reps and looks like the 25th-28th best QB in the league, that's somewhat acceptable? I'm sure Trevor Siemien isn't beating him out.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Feel the excitement of this year's coaching carousel.

https://twitter.com/AllbrightNFL/status/1714004285028200772?s=20

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Relentlessboredomm posted:

Didn’t Dan Quinn turn down the Denver job last year? Or was that all agent bullshit?
He turned down the Broncos in 2022 and the Cardinals in 2023. He's not lacking in offers; he's probably just smartly realizing he'll have one more shot at a head gig and why blow it on a lovely situation?

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

^^ It's been like 5 games lol.

Saleh turned the 32nd ranked defense into a consistent top 5 unit in 2 years. That's a best case for defensive coach. Still need a QB.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

CharlestheHammer posted:

I mean the jets benefited greatly from the Eagles shooting themselves in the foot. Which is fine a win is a win but it’s not something you can rely on with that weak an offense
This again? At a certain point you give credit to the defense forcing these elite QBs to play like poo poo against them.

Patrick Mahomes, Josh Allen, and Jalen Hurts vs. the Jets Defense:

59% completion percentage
3TD/ 9 INT
5.7 YPA
17.0 PPG

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Yes everyone will be itching to hire Darell Bevell.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Remember when Joe Brady was the hot new offensive mastermind getting interviews? Good times.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

He did not turn around the Commies though. They’re still a bad team. Losing Snyder is not on him.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Can’t discount the difficulty of having a good defense when you only have prime Aaron Donald and Jalen Ramsey to work with.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

The Belichick to McDaniels transition plan is back on!

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Seems like a healthy organization.

https://twitter.com/MySportsUpdate/status/1719691179476783176?s=20

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

syzpid posted:

Also on the Jets, the reason the locker room has revolted this year is because they dumped Mike White who was likable and was better then Wilson for Tim Boyle who is just there because he is Aaron's buddy.
There's been a locker room revolt? lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Should also note that the only people who "revolted" last year were Denzel Mims, who I think is rotting on the Steelers practice squad at the moment, and Elijah Moore, who's stats with the Browns this year are actually worse than with the Zach Wilson Jets.

No one of consequence or impact.