Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
I've lived through two stormy seasons in one game in a Shed on the beach, the worst I ever had to do was keep a constant supply of palm fronds at the ready because the roof would get damaged pretty regularly. The bigger concern I had was running out of storage room and it being pretty awful for managing my mood. That and not really being able to leave anything remotely useful outside without losing it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Since you need the shovel for other stuff I really like pushing for the cellar. Though it's less needed now with the windcatcher and I haven't built one in ages - The farmer, tourist, and mermaid all start with shelter.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

To help explain weight, I clipped out an example of the numbers for the system

So what you're seeing is the effect of having a good amount of high quality food to the point of being very full (+4 intestines) counterbalances by a -1 for being normal weight and -2 for being tired (enough stamina loss to prompt a warning, from travelling through three areas).

Most mid quality food will give a +2 to intestines while they're being digested, and this value decreases as time goes by. As a result you are only ever at +1, even if you're asleep. This means that moving one zone puts you at +0, and moving two is -1. This applies for all stamina loss, regardless of activity. You are at -2 until you get to the "exhausted" state, around 50% stamina, at which point it becomes -4. Usually you get to this state by moving continuously around/or moving encumbered, especially red encumbrance.

However, that only applies for things that burn stamina, like travelling. A lot of things don't; I was surpised to find that digging a well doesn't burn stamina.

Essentially if you want to gain weight then pumping up your intestines as high as you can go and also keeping stamina usage down through traveling light and taking 15 minute breaks frequently. You really don't want to do something like dive into the sea and then immediately turn around and head back to camp because that's multiple stamina hits in a row, which pushes you down quite a bit. If the game tells you to rest then rest unless you're in a major hurry.

And sometimes you just want to spend the weight, that's fine, especially in the early game. For example, dagging trees around places without equipment to help is one place where you're just going to go way into the red, it happens.

e. Actually, doing more testing it seems that the rate at which you digest food is tied to your stamina level. If you have food in your intestines (which you can check in your bars) then expending some stamina will increase digestion to +8. But it doesn't scale past that. So technically if you want to gain weight and have a lot of food then I suppose the best thing would be to stay in the slightly tired state. It's still much better to eat good food and take it easy, though, since you're burning at a higher rate alongside your digestion, and your intestines have to be fairly full to allow for the full bonus.

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Sep 8, 2023

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
Quick guide to crop farming:

- When your Herbology is high enough, you can make a crop field out of soil, ash, sticks and two fertilizer-type objects (rotten remains, guano, compost, etc). Empty Crop fields will always stick around at your location, so I like making them whenever I have the time and materials to spare.

- You can plant basically anything you can harvest from a plant in the wild to create a plant field of that type, with a couple of exceptions (more on that later).

- Fields will naturally accumulate water from rain, you can drag cisterns/reservoirs or water containers over them to manually water them as well. You don't want their water level to get too high, though, because that encourages fungal growth, so try not to water them too much.

- Adding Fertilizer from a Compost Bin, or other fertilizer-type objects to a growing plant increases the rate at which it grows and improves the plant's health. You can make a Compost Bin around the time you unlock crop fields, and it's a good idea to have that up and running before you start any serious farming. You can toss in anything organic to get compost out of it over time, it's a good way to use up food that's about to rot and all those spare leaves/palm fronds you get from exploration.

- Crops grow faster in biomes similar to the type where you normally find them in the wild, though you can make any crop grow anywhere with enough time and patience. Jungle-type areas are a fairly good median for most common crops.

- Crops build up mite and fungal rot over time, which will decrease the plant's health as it builds up. Adding Chili pesticide helps deal with mites, but you need the rarer and more expensive Brimstone Pesticide to deal with fungal rot. Fungal rot builds up faster the more heavily-watered the field is, so it can be a challenge to grow plants during Wet Season if you haven't unlocked Brimstone Pesticide yet. Simply outpacing the rate at which it builds up by adding Compost to it to keep the plant's health up/boost its growth rate is a viable option, but it can be pretty challenging for some plants.

- Once crop fields are fully grown, they change from crop fields to just plants at your location, so there's no need to micromanage them anymore. Boars may occasionally show up to munch on them, though.

- Finding Rice lets you make Rice Paddies, which only need water to grow (though they need a lot of it) and don't build up rot. Making a few of these during Wet Season gives you a fairly significant source of food (you get a lot of rice from one paddy), but you need a shovel to construct them, and Rice can only be found in one location (The Secret Valley).

- Chilies are a good crop and you can never have too many of them. They take care of mite rot just by being chili plants, they're used in a whole lot of cooking pot recipes, you can make Chili Pesticide out of them, and you can cook them or stick them into a drying rack to make Dried Chilies which keep indefinitely (though once you have the chili plants on hand, you can also just leave them be and harvest them only when you need them).

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Holy moly I can't believe I'm still alive. It's day 48 and I'm still going strong. Managed to build a second reservoir; we'll see if two are enough to survive the incoming drought in a few weeks. I did also manage to build a water filter as well so maybe I can find enough dirty water to hold me over.

What's in the hole in the jungle highlands? Says I need rope to get down there.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

Panfilo posted:

What's in the hole in the jungle highlands? Says I need rope to get down there.

Voices. Captain

Double Spoiler Seriously Don't Click This And Ruin it Unless You're Really Sure.
Evil version of Weston who can be pretty amusing as you go crazy

Rynoto fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Sep 8, 2023

Jawnycat
Jul 9, 2015
I believe there is also an entrance to the extensive cave network down there, though I thiiiink it's one of the ones that needs to be exited from inside the cave network before it's an option to enter via. Regardless, there is stuff down the hole, but getting in *and* back out again can be taxing.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Inadequately posted:

(though once you have the chili plants on hand, you can also just leave them be and harvest them only when you need them).

This is true of basically every plant, including the ones you find while searching; they never spoil when they are in the ground, so leaving them there forever isn't an issue. Boars can sometimes stomp on them, but in terms of spoilage there's no reason to pull them out unnecessarily.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
I’d recommend avoiding that hole and keep exploring, the collapsed cave entrance nearby is the typical safer entrance into the cave network.

speaking of, without too many spoilers, i would advise explorers be fully rested, bring several candles, food+water for at least 24h and most importantly tinder, sticks and wood to build several small campfires for light for what needs doing. a few candles will not be enough light. it’s a serious undertaking especially if your climbing isn’t good and you can strand yourself and die if you get a bad roll of the dice.

copper efficiency tips: you can get copper rarely from geodes and one from highland exploration so you may not even need to cave to make the knife. if you dig out only 2 copper from each vein you can blow the vein up with dynamite and get another full 3 ore from part depleted vein. a 1-2 day trip exiting in the wetlands will get you enough copper to get the 3 tools and you can come back with dynamite later to make trinkets and such.

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Sep 8, 2023

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
OK I think I survived the drought! Waiting for the first rain (what day should I expect?). I managed via 2 reservoirs and building a second alembic, which indirectly converts fuel to fresh water over time. Water filter wasn't nearly as useful as mud puddles dried out quick so there was little unsafe water to filter.

Still don't have enough woodworking to get shovel. Took me forever to realize I could just use an axe on the actual forest terrain card and didn't need to actually chop down entire trees for wood. So I'm guessing that's why it lagged so bad. Also very slow to start setting traps which means my trap skill is abysmal. Things that took way too long to figure out;

-Use axe on forest terrain card and fishing stuff on sea card. If you have a salt maker you can just drag it onto the sea card to completely fill it.

-Take coals out when the fire runs out of fuel, so it doesn't deplete the fuel. The coal seems disproportionately effective in the kiln.

-Salt maker, spindle, alembic, stove, Travois, coconut milk recipe, wood drill, hammock and sack are all techs that save a lot of time and stamina.

-Cutting down banana trees can allow you to put a vase in the stump and passively generate water, a life saver during the drought.

-Cooling jar is particularly useful for preserving bananas;they are abundant but you get sick of them easily so being able to hoard them in this container let's you rotate through food over time without them going bad.

-Travois can hold other full containers to offset their weight. Right now I have it carrying a woven backpack and sack with space left over to stay under the 50% weight threshold. This is good for moving lots of bricks or wood around.

Panfilo fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Sep 9, 2023

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
There are two ways to get a shovel without grinding woodworking, though both of those are fairly location-specific:

- Fully exploring the Rocks or Desolate Beach unlocks the Bird Rock out in the sea, the Hunter has a fairly decent chance getting there with just their base swimming skill but other characters may struggle. Exploring the Bird Rock reveals a Shipwreck, and you can dive into the Shipwreck for useful items and up to five pieces of metal scrap (though there's a chance of cutting yourself during exploration, so be careful). It takes two Metal Scrap to make one Scrap Shovel, you can also make other tools with it but scrap doesn't replenish so be circumspect with it. One Scrap Shovel lasts fairly long as long as you only ever use it for anything which absolutely requires a shovel (so far I've dug out two cisterns, a well, and four rice paddies with mine, and it hasn't completely depleted yet).

- This one is more of an endgame thing, but you can also make a Copper Shovel with enough copper and metalworking. Easiest way to get enough Metalworking is to make the copper axe and knife beforehand (and you should prioritize those anyway). Copper can be found in geodes and very rarely just lying around, but the most reliable source is from copper veins in the extensive cave network accessible via the Eastern Highlands (you'll have to dig out the Collapsed Tunnel Entrance first to get to it). The big advantage of copper tools is that when the tool runs out of durability, you can just resharpen the copper part with a rock and reassemble it, so once you have copper tools you don't ever need anything else again.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Does anyone know if Weston stops working after a while? I thought he did but looking into it now I might just be wrong about that.

I held off on creating him until I got through my first year and loneliness started being an issue but that might have been a mistake.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

CuddleCryptid posted:

Does anyone know if Weston stops working after a while? I thought he did but looking into it now I might just be wrong about that.

I held off on creating him until I got through my first year and loneliness started being an issue but that might have been a mistake.

Nope. His effect is small so eventually he can't counteract loneliness by himself and if he isn't nearby you lose his effect but otherwise you can stuff him with your statues and he JustWorks forever.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Rynoto posted:

Nope. His effect is small so eventually he can't counteract loneliness by himself and if he isn't nearby you lose his effect but otherwise you can stuff him with your statues and he JustWorks forever.

Well, it's not that big of a deal, but I'll make him sooner next time. I guess I misremembered the gradually decreasing effect as Weston himself starting to go bad.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Weston has 2 modes. There is a passive improvement in loneliness by being in the same area (he can be in a boookshelf, backpack or trunk) and there is a separate 24h buff you get from talking to him that works without him being present. Both offset loneliness which affects mood and is affected by isolation, which gradually gets worse and maxes out after about 100ish(?) days.

You can pin the loneliness stat to watch it. Optimally you want it at 0 but even keeping Weston with and talking to him every day is a delaying action by the end. You need a macaque friend or a lot of comfort once your isolation is maxed.

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Sep 10, 2023

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
I ended up dying from dehydration at day 85, that drought is no joke. I'm trying to figure out how people are able to tech up to a normal shovel fast enough.

Getting cooking, herbology, and tailoring leveled up wasn't hard, but woodworking, something I assumed would apply to many things has been really slow.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Panfilo posted:

I ended up dying from dehydration at day 85, that drought is no joke. I'm trying to figure out how people are able to tech up to a normal shovel fast enough.

Getting cooking, herbology, and tailoring leveled up wasn't hard, but woodworking, something I assumed would apply to many things has been really slow.

Woodworking is a little deceptive because some wood stuff counts and others don't. Cutting down small/palm trees doesn't count but large trees do. It also requires either an axe or sharp knife to work efficiently at leveling it up, and if you don't push for copper tools then those aren't super sustainable. Shavings from wood or carvings count with a knife, while dragging the axe over the area tile for wood an efficient way to do that. You just need to really space them out to protect your tool durability; three hours to make a new stone axe is no joke.

And yeah dehydration is a monster. One thing that can help your water process is to use glazed vases if you aren't already, since they don't evaporate at all. You need a lot of salt for them but putting a salt bed on the beach can keep you pretty stocked so long as you make sure you refill it with salt water each time it rains. I am not sure about the Alembic but the water filter is lossless so long as there is a container in it so you can process a full glazed vase without worry.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
The problem with water filter is that during the drought all the unsafe water dries up anyway. With the alembics I usually chugged the water as fast as it desalinated so those losses weren't an issue, but the constant demand for fuel does become a challenge.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

CuddleCryptid posted:

And yeah dehydration is a monster. One thing that can help your water process is to use glazed vases if you aren't already, since they don't evaporate at all. You need a lot of salt for them but putting a salt bed on the beach can keep you pretty stocked so long as you make sure you refill it with salt water each time it rains.
On the flipside, though it’s kinda goofy/gamey, if the Salt Bed is full of salt water right before the mercy rain in the drought season it all changes to fresh so you can have a nice supply of extra drinking water for little effort, even if it delays scraping for a while.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Similarly, rice paddies even when empty can double as emergency puddles.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
I think I'm going to try for the Raft ending for this Hunter run. I usually just go for the max comfort 'live on the island in peace' ending, it's easier and I find it personally more satisfying (after all, the fantasy of living alone on a deserted island is what we're all here for, isn't it?). Last time I tried for it, I completed it and launched by the second dry season, should be able to do the same this run but I may wait till the third temperate season so I can collect water from rain.

Stuff I learned from my last unsuccessful run:

- The fish trap you can install on the raft starts decaying immediately, so only install it once you're ready to push off

- Don't forget to bring a rock to sharpen your Copper Knife

- If you bring stuff that needs cooking like rice, be sure to bring along a bowl or two to actually cook it, but it might not be worth doing that because you could lose the clay firepit to a storm anytime

- Fill the raft with as many chests as you can so you don't lose loose items to storms

- Repair the sail with cords early, before it fully runs out of durability

- Bring some more stuff to entertain yourself with so you don't spend the entire trip just dooting on your bone flute while waiting for time to pass

By the way, is there any way to prevent your stuff from being lost to storms, or do you just have to accept it's going to happen sometime? My sail was wrecked and I was in the middle of repairing it when that happened, so maybe that might have affected it.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Given the amount of materials you can get off one monitor lizard I wonder if the developers believe that they are roughly the size of moose.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
When mortar dries, can you re wet it or is that it? Kinda learning the hard way that when building the cistern to put the rocks in first, then the mortar.

This time around I'm almost done with it and still have ten days to spare. That scrap shovel is a game changer!

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Inadequately posted:

By the way, is there any way to prevent your stuff from being lost to storms, or do you just have to accept it's going to happen sometime? My sail was wrecked and I was in the middle of repairing it when that happened, so maybe that might have affected it.
It's going to get lost and what you have in your active slots isn't safe either. Things need to be in the raft chest+backpack+satchels to be safe from the storm. This includes "Deployed" stuff like leaf beds and normal chests.

For those prepping the raft, it's so easy to take a bunch of stuff "just in case" but I'd recommend caring about the absolute bare necessities. Your char is probably going to be miserable. Plan for surviving 15-20 days. Seasickness and sore back and even fever won't kill you - it'll just make you depressed. You can sail with just the chest, and the only thing raft extensions are good for are for making more raft chests. The net is helpful and the shelter if you have enough leather but it's not mandatory.

Separate your stuff into two piles, the first is critical supplies and stays in the raft chest and your backpack/satchel when not in active use (this includes the firepit). You can have/carry 2 satchels plus your backpack, 3 if you're the tourist with the belt pouch.

Critical Items Checklist:
Copper Knife
Fire Bow
Wood (to make kindling and refill firepit)
Stone (sharpening knife)
Drum (or flute, I guess)
Winston
Clay Firepit (fill it to 100% fuel on shore)
2 coconut shells
Tourniquet, 2-3 Bandages
Several hooks and needles
Spindle
Raincoat
Jerrycan, Water bottle(s) if you have them
~20 Cord
2 pre-baited lines (or a fishing rod)
One Harpoon > Fishing Spear > Spear (worn)
Food until storage is full - I recommend Yam Jam, Sago flour and Rice - Very light, calorie dense, and last a long time. Combine stale flatbread with the jam to reset spoiler timer.
3-4 Kava (optional, but nice to have, plan to grind it halfway through the voyage)

Non-critical items checklist, to be held in travois in your inventory when possible
~10-20 snakegrass to make into more cord
Leaf bed+Shelter if you didn't build the raft shelter (this will be washed away eventually)
About a week's worth of perishable food
1-2 Cooking pot w/ tea in it
Dynamite if you have it (dynamite fishing!)
Cloth (more bandage, clothing repair, whatever)
Anything else that makes you feel better but this is all gonna be gone within the week when the first storm hits

Get ready for lots of meditating! A chance for storms is one every 4 hours on the weather change, and every hour during the storm there's a chance for a wave so don't meditate or play the drums for an hour or more unless you want to lose it, it will get washed away. Only take out one cord and coconut at a time during a storm, and keep your working inventory empty when doing long activities. Keep the sail raised during favorable storm if your durability is above half. You can eat raw fish if your parasites bar is empty if needed.

Repairing > Fishing > Music / Meditate.

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Sep 11, 2023

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Panfilo posted:

When mortar dries, can you re wet it or is that it? Kinda learning the hard way that when building the cistern to put the rocks in first, then the mortar.

This time around I'm almost done with it and still have ten days to spare. That scrap shovel is a game changer!

You can heat it back up in the kiln to reclaim the quickline but that's it, you can't rewet it any more than you can re-wet cement. As you said it's a good idea to make sure you have all the build parts set (including 4 * X portions of mortar materials) before you start making it.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Yeah, one annoying thing is that the multi step objects really obscure resource costs, which can waste time when you suddenly discover you need xyz and totally could have brought it had you known. And they love to ream you on time! For example:

Paths are a cool upgrade, reducing base travel time by a whopping 80%! However, it takes a LOT of hacks with the shovel+axe to get to this point. In fact I think it takes a total of sixteen hours worth of shovel/axe actions to complete it. So while you shave off 12 minutes, you spent 960 minutes to get to that point. Which would mean a whopping eighty trips just to break even. Granted, at 3 minutes each way you're more inclined to go back and forth more, but that's conservatively a whole season right there.

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
so I'll try to be oblique.
Yeah obscuring building resources is really annoying. For a survival game that relies on planning and management so much, that's really terrible.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
Ehhh. Mortar is the only one that has a time limit and it's not particularly hard to make and only has to stay fresh for the current step. With that said it wouldn't be a bad thing to have material requirements for later steps pop up somewhere.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Obscuring materials is a pretty big pain, especially when it is things like "okay I spent days digging this cistern and...I need twenty stones?! gently caress!"

Or things like "if I had known I needed X then I wouldn't have researched it", like when I researched mushroom beds just to find out I needed a lot of manure to build one. I'm finally getting it put together now that I *finally* have an ape friend.

Speaking of which, it is funny how this game makes you feel. I caught a macaque to befriend for the first time the other day and I was trying to tame it with the same desperation as I would have if I had really spent the last five months talking to a coconut.

Panfilo posted:

Yeah, one annoying thing is that the multi step objects really obscure resource costs, which can waste time when you suddenly discover you need xyz and totally could have brought it had you known. And they love to ream you on time! For example:

Paths are a cool upgrade, reducing base travel time by a whopping 80%! However, it takes a LOT of hacks with the shovel+axe to get to this point. In fact I think it takes a total of sixteen hours worth of shovel/axe actions to complete it. So while you shave off 12 minutes, you spent 960 minutes to get to that point. Which would mean a whopping eighty trips just to break even. Granted, at 3 minutes each way you're more inclined to go back and forth more, but that's conservatively a whole season right there.

Eh, you don't have to do it all in a single run, I'll usually stop and do one chunk of it as I go through an area and over a few days it's done.

In pure time saving it's 80 walks worth of time, which if you put paths in your base could be paid back fairly quickly, but also if you start the 2hr digging at 19:55pm then you can basically get free work without having to light a fire. It also functionally expands your base, so for my run I can put things in the bay or grasslands off my jungle and there's no issue with traveling back and forth.

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Sep 12, 2023

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Yeah, honestly if you're OK with being spoiled a little I recommend just looking up blueprint costs on the wiki: https://cardsurvival.fandom.com/wiki/Blueprints_%26_Improvements. I definitely don't understand them not putting in the total cost somewhere or being able to look at future steps, but I guess it was a design decision.

And paths are great, the earlier the better; depending on where you "settle", if it's the jungle or grasslands, paths from wetlands <-> jungle <-> beach have a payback of under one season in game time for me. If there's nothing else going on it's a great way to fill an hour of or two. I don't do it with a wooden shovel, only the copper one (I tend to get copper tools fairly fast)

Start the longest craft you can at 9:45pm and it will complete in darkness, build those axes, create planks, and dig paths. Even that single path at your home base gives huge advantages.

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Sep 12, 2023

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
There's also the wear on the tools as well. Replacing axes is particularly time consuming.

How do you befreuevd a monkey?

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Either trap them with the cage trap once your trapping is high enough (recommended) or there's a small (~5-10%?) chance to get lucky during combat where they are wounded rather than die (in the combat card directly or after tracking them down when they run away)

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
so I'll try to be oblique.
It sucks when you wound them too early in the run and you have to kill them because you can't afford to feed and water them.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Trivia posted:

It sucks when you wound them too early in the run and you have to kill them because you can't afford to feed and water them.

It is nice that they can eat basically anything. I've been feeding mine bugs and it is a huge amount of food for him. I haven't confirmed but I feel like they use the same code as Grandpa where they take water in pieces but any food is 50% fullness.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Had a really stupid situation where I mismanaged my movement and was 3 minutes away from base in the dark with nothing to light my way, in a heavy rain, while I was freezing. Resorted to meditating to speed up time and noticed I was warming up just barely, made it to dawn on what could have been a really stupid game ender. Occasionally I wish I had an undo button due to weird misclicks/misdrags.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Hogama posted:

Had a really stupid situation where I mismanaged my movement and was 3 minutes away from base in the dark with nothing to light my way, in a heavy rain, while I was freezing. Resorted to meditating to speed up time and noticed I was warming up just barely, made it to dawn on what could have been a really stupid game ender. Occasionally I wish I had an undo button due to weird misclicks/misdrags.

Yeah I keep a candle, tinder, and hand drill in my bag for this exact reason. I've misjudged how long an activity will take enough times that having an out to walk home with is critical.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Poor Gordy. Thought of famine and died.

Trapping is one of the more cost effective skills I think. The % to actually catch something is small but you can reset it for just time cost and it goes up whenever the trap was triggered. I set a log trap but haven't caught anything big which is disappointing considering how valuable a whole log is.

Tracking seems like it would take forever to level up though as there's no way to 'train' it like spears/climbing which is too bad.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
I am currently building an enclosure, do I just release partridges in there? I have 3 I caught that I've been keeping alive. Says Patridge feeder unlocks when you have partridges but I'm assuming you need to have them in an actual enclosure to trigger the unlock. I read that you can just make birdseed for them which is super efficient to make and once they're in there it's pretty low maintenance it seems.

Armor during dry season seems like a trap because it makes you hotter though I think shield is a free equip (doesn't compete with other slots?) no idea how much armor helps unlike shoes which prevent spiders/urchin from hurting you.

Which complex foods are two parters? I noticed that yam curry gets two uses, anything else?

Drying rack needs a buff because it's way too slow and stove can smoke meats in 3hrs anyway. Only good thing is that it's the only food preservation method that costs no resources and it's passive but I discovered some herbs like kava dry out on their own anyway and with chilis you can just make a farm if you really want so many.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Yeah just walk into the enclosure and the option to release them will change to releasing them in the enclosure. They won't even get hungry that quickly so you'll have plenty of time to research/build a feeder even if you weren't feeding them by hand in the meantime. Birdseed is incredibly easy to make - you can use three bugs and two sago flour if you want, there's multiple options - and lasts a good while (though obviously the more partridges you have the faster they'll go through it).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Hmm I wonder what's the birdseed:egg ratio? Probably pretty favorable.

Also I learned more about how containers work, knowledge is power as knowing this mechanic saves you an enormous amount of time in the long run:

quote:

The thing about (non-liquid) containers that you don't see, unless you pay attention to your weight bar, is that they reduce the weight of what you put in them to (mostly) 0. Also, anything you equip has reduced weight as well.

Satchel weighs 250 on its own, but has -250 equipped reduction, so weighing 0 when equipped. It can hold up to 350 weight but has 300 reduction - meaning the stuff you put inside it doesn't increase total weight until it goes over 300. So a full satchel equipped will weigh a total of 50. Holding it in your hands (i.e. not equipped) will weigh a total of 300.

Woven backpack weighs 500, gets -250 equipped reduction, holds up to 1000, and has 1000 content reduction - meaning anything you put it in won't increase total weight at all. Fully loaded has total weight of 250.

Leather backpack also weighs 500, but gets -400 equipped reduction, holds up to 1500, and has 1500 content weight reduction.

Woven basket is the same as woven backpack, but can't be equipped.

Sack weighs 100, has 1000 capacity, but only 600 content weight reduction. So, like the satchel, things you put in a sack won't increase total weight until it gets over 600.

Fully loaded sack weighs the same as fully loaded basket - 500. But until a sack's content reaches 600, it only weighs 100. That's the benefit of sacks.

Note that you can also carry leather backpacks, like sacks and baskets. Fully loaded also weighs 500, but can carry 1500 instead of 1000.

Travois weighs 1500, has 3000 capactiy, and 2500 content weight reduction. Fully loaded would weigh 2000 which is exactly half of your total carrying capacity and not considered encumbered. 1 more weight would make you encumbered.

Liquid containers don't have any content weight reduction. For the units, this is going by what is shown in recipes, where a coconut shell = 1 unit of liquid.

Gourd bottle weighs 100, gets -100 equipped reduction, hold 2 units of liquid adding 198 weight.

Waterskin also weighs 100, gets -100 equipped reduction, but holds 3 units of liquid adding 297 weight.

Coconut shells weigh 50, hold 1 unit of liquid adding 99 weight.

Clay bowl weighs 100 and holds 1 unit of liquid adding 99 weight.

Clay jar and copper jar both weigh 100 and hold 0.5 units of liquid, adding 49.5 weight.

Clay vase weighs 250 and holds 4 units of liquid adding 396 weight.

Glazed vase weighs 200 and holds 3 units of liquid adding 297 weight.

Cooking pot weighs 250 and holds 2 units of liquid adding 198 weight.

Jerrycan weighs 250 and holds 8 units of liquid adding 792 weight.
TLDR: So long as most containers aren't filled to the brim they only add a flat amount of encumbrance. Some upgrades are rather indirect and opaque-for instance, having two full woven baskets vs 2 full sacks has the same cumulative weight. HOWEVER at <60% capacity the sacks are much lighter. So having a travois with a bunch of sacks seems like the way to go, as you'll be able to carry quite a lot with only 1500 weight.

Water on the other hand there's no getting around and one trap I fell into was lugging around water I didn't actually drink. So it seems practical to chug it as soon as there's room in your thirst bar as one sip can end up getting you under the 50% encumbrance threshold.