Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Unfortunately there are a lot of things you can do to minimize your carry weight but the way the UI works it becomes a pain in the rear end to constantly be moving cards around.

For example, you can equip a weapon like a harpoon for a minor carry weight reduction. But you still have to use it on the sea to actually hunt fish, so if you are spearfishing a lot then it's a game of constantly equipping and unequipping you harpoon to save on the weight. Same thing for your backpack, travois, and satchel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
That's why that info mod is so critical, it gives you all that container weight info on mouseover. It also gives trap info so you can see that as well as what it might catch.

There are a few other 2-parter foods such as fried rice and goat stew. I think anything that uses two meat makes two servings, but the wiki has details and nutrition breakdowns.

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Sep 12, 2023

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
One good thing about equipping a harpoon on your shoulder is that it is always available in a combat encounter.

I'm trying to figure out what is the most annoying resource to deal with right now.

Wood piles- Bulky, need lots to keep fires going, either wastes axe durability to harvest or you have to get lucky with exploring. You can hack up logs to get many but this doesn't seem worth the time/durability and you'll want logs+half logs for other things probably.

Long sticks-Also a hassle to carry, needed for lots of structures and spears, very rare find when exploring, and chopping small trees for long sticks doesn't raise woodworking for some idiotic reason.

Mud bricks-Time consuming to make, heavy, and you always need a million of them. Mud hut feels like it requires about a hundred total (I dread how many stone hut requires :gonk:). Simplest source seems like mud puddles in wetlands, combine with sand which is easy to get at beach. One good thing about them is you can make them in the dark I think so in lieu of anything else you can save fuel and make 4/night then nap till sunrise.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
On my replay I managed to survive the drought and I'm hoping that's the hardest part. I appear to be losing my marbles though which is annoying. Looking at water storage media:

Jars n stuff: All of them are good. You'll always have a use for coming coconut halves. Small lidded jar is useful for storing oil since it won't evaporate, and glazed vase is obviously good for this too but it holds less than a regular vase. Jerry Can holds the most of any container but I don't yet know what fuel is used for so I've hoarded the one I've found. And actually thinking about it it makes little difference because you carry the weight of the liquid regardless of anything and you can stack identical containers/liquids in one card anyway. The only issue with multiple containers is evaporation.

Reservoir: Pretty easy to make, only needing bricks and clay even building 2 won't cut it during the drought though and the water evaporates over time.

Cistern: I think it holds more water and the water doesn't evaporate but it's an absolute chore to build it; half the task is hours of digging then lots of mortar+stone so it takes a good amount of planning to get it done in a timely manner. Definitely worth the effort because at that point you'll likely have enough water generating options to easily build a surplus of water since you're not getting robbed of your stores through evaporation anymore.

Water filter: Converts unsafe water to drinkable water. Actually feels a little redundant for this task- boiling 4 vases of unsafe water on a stove isn't that resource intense, the main gimmick is that it's one of the few truly passive systems that doesn't need any other consumable to work.

Well: Slowly produces water passively, works faster during rain. But the water is unsafe to drink so I guess mainly intended for irrigation. Well+water filter might be okay.

Alembic: You'll want at least 1for the drought. Converts salt water to fresh water so ideal on the shore. Still provides light so you get fresh water and more useful time during the day to work.

Solar collector: uses palm fronds to produce water. It is SLOW, I'm guessing intended for early game in other playthroughs. The fronds:water ratio doesn't feel good, probably better off getting water from banana stumps.

Rain catcher: I was testing this but then a storm hit and I lost it :negative: dunno the capacity but I'm assuming it works like a portable reservoir so when exploring you can set it up if it starts raining.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Fuel is nigh worthless, what's in that jerrycan is the equivalent of I think 2 wood worth of, well, fire fuel. IMO the biggest use for the jerrycan is to stick it on a nipa palm and drink the sap during the drought or make sugar with it outside of. Otherwise it's just a 2x vase sized (6 unit) storage vessel with a lid.

You learned not to build stuff on the beach the hard way :smith:. It's safe to build in the grasslands, but I prefer using the plastic for a raincoat. One of the best things to do before the drought is to find that cave in the wetlands (and, if you have a lot of time or an expert, explore the cave system)

The second most dangerous thing in the game is combat encounters. They got significantly buffed when the new combat card system came in and a monitor lizard or boar can straight up kill you if you aren't well equipped and skilled. You aren't recovering from multiple lacerations/fractures.

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Sep 14, 2023

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Well + cave puddle + water filter can pretty easily get you through the drought, especially if you start off with a couple reservoirs. The second one refills fairly quickly so you can get a half full glazed jar off of it and top it off with the well, which then goes into the water filter for lossless passive filtration and results in enough water to sustain you so long as you aren't running yourself ragged. Making water from seawater is fine but you do need to go all over getting wood to keep it burning which also dehydrates you more unless you're washing yourself with seawater constantly.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
How much does armor actually help? I agree combat is risky, I try to avoid boars unless I'm really hungry.

Log trap can kill boars and I assume monitor lizards, though it does need a log and a loooong time to reset.I built a cage trap but it hasn't caught anything yet.

I seem to currently be in some sort of mental health spiral right now, even with Wilson and the monkey friend I'm still emo and spending 45 mins to travel even though I'm not encumbered or hurt. Dunno what's going on, and the game doesn't do a good job breaking down time penalties.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

Panfilo posted:

How much does armor actually help? I agree combat is risky, I try to avoid boars unless I'm really hungry.

Log trap can kill boars and I assume monitor lizards, though it does need a log and a loooong time to reset.I built a cage trap but it hasn't caught anything yet.

I seem to currently be in some sort of mental health spiral right now, even with Wilson and the monkey friend I'm still emo and spending 45 mins to travel even though I'm not encumbered or hurt. Dunno what's going on, and the game doesn't do a good job breaking down time penalties.

Armour is very good and essential for boar and lizard hunting without getting tons of wounds. When armour breaks you get back half of the materials used to make it.

So there's a semi-hidden stat called Isolation that steadily increases over time until capping out ~day 90 or so with ramping debuffs. To counter its effects you'll need a better house, decorations, furniture, statues, and proper clothes to stay passively fine. Capping out house comfort is a vital near-end-game concern. Teas, candles, good food, and music are good actives for stress spikes.

There's actually a somewhat-positive to letting mental health lapse in euphoria. Zero mental structure with high mood makes you VERY happy

Rynoto fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Sep 14, 2023

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Another opaque and irritating mechanic is the functionality of tools. In most games more advanced tools tend to have more durability and work on tougher resources. But in this game it's a little weird. It seems like more advanced tools only really have one quality: sharpness. Some items require sharp tools to work (wood planks notable for requiring both a sharp knife and a sharp axe). When I build a flint knife I see it's durability go down just as fast if not faster than a bone knife. I've taken to bringing both stone/bone and flint versions, using the cheaper one on things not gated by sharpness. I do observe some things are affected by sharpness though a stone axe takes I think 5 whacks to fell a tree while a flint axe does it in 2.

I know once you get to copper the tools can just be re sharpened but in the meantime it's kind of tedious. Reminds me of BreathsEdge beta where tools had an insanely tiny durability and people spent 90% of their time replacing broken tools :shepface:

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:
You also get twice as much wood from the location card when you use a sharp axe.

If knapping was slightly quicker to level or gave you some useful byproduct I think flint would be fine as a low risk way to get sharp tools. As it is the time you spend getting access to flint is barely less than going for copper, and copper is so much better once you have it.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Alright so I have a few questions because I've ran out of immediate aims now that I've managed to build a mud hut and I'm managing to keep fed/hydrated pretty well. I am about 13 days in. What are my next aims once I've done most of the tutorial aims? I just need to build the kiln and I've completed all of them. I've built the windcatcher on my hut as well. Where should I go off exploring that is important for the future?

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Tekopo posted:

Alright so I have a few questions because I've ran out of immediate aims now that I've managed to build a mud hut and I'm managing to keep fed/hydrated pretty well. I am about 13 days in. What are my next aims once I've done most of the tutorial aims? I just need to build the kiln and I've completed all of them. I've built the windcatcher on my hut as well. Where should I go off exploring that is important for the future?

If you have all that within 13 days you're certainly running all out. You next steps would be

1. Level up your skills, especially your food gathering/processing skills such as trapping or fishing (spear or non).

2. Secure methods of gathering and holding water, such as reservoirs and wells, as well as a way to produce fresh water efficiently.

3. Find copper to make a knife and axe with to ensure you have a renewable sharp tool. Hint: start walking through the grasslands and into the highlands

4. Once you have the trapping and herbology skills to support it, start a farm and animal pasture with the water infrastructure to support it.

5. Once you have all that set you can start looking at increasing the comfort of your home to try and stave off the debuff from isolation.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Those so-called "Monkey friends" are assholes that bite me even when they are at 100% happiness. Is there any benefit to having more than one?

Are bow+arrow worth bothering with? I'm guessing it let's you attack without retaliation. I built one but haven't used it, because it either needs to be in a hand slot or replaces your backpack slot.

Still really struggling with mental health, even petting macaques, decorating my hut, talking to Wilson, etc doesn't seem to help.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

CuddleCryptid posted:

If you have all that within 13 days you're certainly running all out. You next steps would be

1. Level up your skills, especially your food gathering/processing skills such as trapping or fishing (spear or non).

2. Secure methods of gathering and holding water, such as reservoirs and wells, as well as a way to produce fresh water efficiently.

3. Find copper to make a knife and axe with to ensure you have a renewable sharp tool. Hint: start walking through the grasslands and into the highlands

4. Once you have the trapping and herbology skills to support it, start a farm and animal pasture with the water infrastructure to support it.

5. Once you have all that set you can start looking at increasing the comfort of your home to try and stave off the debuff from isolation.
Thanks, will be seeing about those. I started as hunter since I want to learn the systems, but I kept loving up in my first few tries by eating too many coconuts.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Tekopo posted:

Thanks, will be seeing about those. I started as hunter since I want to learn the systems, but I kept loving up in my first few tries by eating too many coconuts.

Stool liquidity, dysentery of the sea

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

I was being a bit dumb and didn't realise how much of an impact it actually has. Like I remember going to sleep and waking up close to dehydration due to stool liquidity and not quite adding the fact that I was losing a lot of water because of it. Once I realised that coconut is just a sometimes food/water supply, it made things much easier.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
The best use for coconuts is the halves make perfect 1 serving containers for teas, and the meat can be made Jerry coconut milk which gets boiled down into oil. Though later on you'll be able to trap+kill so many animals oil becomes a little obsolete (there might be recipes that ONLY use oil, not fat, I forget.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Coconuts can be good for portioning out liquids for immediate usage or being set out to catch a ton of rain but they definitely don't want to be used to store liquids because they evaporate very quickly.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Panfilo posted:

(there might be recipes that ONLY use oil, not fat, I forget.
There's only a handful of cases that demand oil over fat - torches can't be soaked in fat, jungle salads can't be dressed with fat, and citronella/jasmine oils can't be made with fat.
Torches are mostly relatively light on early resource demands and for getting an initial bee skep started, jungle salads are similarly not likely to be made frequently once more efficient cooking is available, but the special candles can be worthwhile even late game. Though you likely don't really need to keep an oil reserve around for that, either, since you can always crack a coconut on demand.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

In my experience candles also burn a lot slower; a short trip one area away is enough to burn through a lot of a torch. It's good for emergencies but as Hogama said it isn't something you need to or should save up for.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
Candles are one of the best items in the game, imo. And the specialty ones are very strong for their costs.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Man I'm getting really frustrated with all these time penalties. The ones triggered by encumbrance, weather, or injury are easy to navigate, but high stress is another matter because I feel like there's not any really good stress dump in the game.

Trying to clear a blocked tunnel and I spend 90mins just to reduce the blockage by ten percent :psyduck:

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Panfilo posted:

Man I'm getting really frustrated with all these time penalties. The ones triggered by encumbrance, weather, or injury are easy to navigate, but high stress is another matter because I feel like there's not any really good stress dump in the game.

Trying to clear a blocked tunnel and I spend 90mins just to reduce the blockage by ten percent :psyduck:

I mean, that's the game for you. You slowly go insane from isolation and unless you're on the ball about keeping your stress levels down it'll slowly kill you. If you starve to death because you are too depressed to find food then it's the system working as intended. Otherwise it would be really easy to make a jack shack and plant some yams to live forever.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
I have definitely found that it's best to be extremely proactive about your keeping your mood up early. You might not be able to even make Weston until you're lonely enough, but you can get to work on prettying up your abode by collecting the roughly millions of leather you'll need for the stitched-hide floors and baking large rocks for quicklime so you can slap it on the walls. Entertain yourself with instruments, sandcastles, and/or diving (that last one needs caution especially if you're not starting skilled). Fishing is slower than spearfishing but is also a "fun" task and can catch larger fish as an action.

Injuries can spiral into a lot of negative issues really quickly so hopefully you have the resources to more or less lounge around your camp until the worst is over. Sometimes it's better just to avoid even potentially dangerous situations (e.g. climbing a coconut tree) that you're pretty confident you can usually handle if you know you're not prepared for a bad roll of the die otherwise. Even if it means watching a boar munch on your crops because a major laceration would ruin you.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Your daily "sandcastle + dive" regimen until you have access to a sharp knife to do woodworking should cover your mood needs. It's definitely important to keep mood above/around half but those leathers can be put to better use (backpack, satchel).

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
Leather clothes, armour, and packs are much more useful than flooring early, yeah. In full leather with a decent spear and shield you can pretty safely kill lizards and especially monkeys for even more leather. Add a bow on as well for early injuries and it's likely you won't even get a scratch.

Shelves full of carved statues and curios are much more resource efficient for passive house mood.

Rynoto fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Sep 16, 2023

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Oh, there's definitely better places to use leather that early, but you can start thinking about stockpiling from the get-go. And you don't really need leather to fight macaques, I've found fiber works fine for them even for taking on the den, but you do probably want leather to cover your arms and legs at minimum if you're hunting boars/lizards.

Woodworking seems weirdly swingy for getting a useful display early on, I was up into the 80s in the skill before I made anything but ruined figurines.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

CuddleCryptid posted:

I mean, that's the game for you. You slowly go insane from isolation and unless you're on the ball about keeping your stress levels down it'll slowly kill you. If you starve to death because you are too depressed to find food then it's the system working as intended. Otherwise it would be really easy to make a jack shack and plant some yams to live forever.

Oh I get it, my point is that I'm struggling to turn things around and don't want to start completely over at day 120. I'm not in danger of dying, I can get all the food/water I need it's just all the decorations I have aren't helping. I have two carved figurines, a boar tusk figurine, stitched floors, wind catcher, shirt necklace hat 2 monkeys and weston yet I'm still in max 'extremely stressed'.

I wouldn't mind other entertainment options to trade more time+stamina since it could be balanced by stockpiling food and water ahead of time. Upside I finally got a copper knife so I guess I'm whittling like a madman every night to pass the time.

Didn't know fishing provides entertainment. Spearfishing is like at 100 for me and very reliable.

Does cage trap catch anything other than macaques? I was hoping to catch boars with it.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

Panfilo posted:

it's just all the decorations I have aren't helping. I have two carved figurines, a boar tusk figurine, stitched floors, wind catcher, shirt necklace hat 2 monkeys and weston yet I'm still in max 'extremely stressed'.

You don't have nearly enough. 2 full bookshelves is the minimum I'd ever run on curios for max isolation.

Panfilo posted:

Does cage trap catch anything other than macaques? I was hoping to catch boars with it.

Need the pit trap for live boars and goats.

Rynoto fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Sep 16, 2023

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
You get diminishing returns from performing the same action over and over, so it helps to vary your entertainment in a day.
You'll get more stressed if you stay in the same locations for too long, as well, so moving around a bit also contributes (you don't have to constantly roam to keep it down but even when you have a fractured leg, you don't want to spend days holed up at camp if you're trying to manage your stress).
More complex prepared foods give a morale boost when eaten, and keeping generally topped up on satiation and hydration is better for mood than eating/drinking out of necessity. Drinking tea is also a good boost, and lit Jasmine Candles will improve comfort, too.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

My usual entertainment cycle is to walk to the bay (one screen since I'm in jungle) then dive, build a sandcastle, and then get a fish or two to regen stamina. Back home the fastest entertainment is to wood carve, or doing the flute or drum will burn around an hour. You're generally not going to keep much in the tank when it comes to entertainment since it depletes really, really fast but it's akin to eating where you just shove it in and "digest" it to keep your other bars up.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
What does the "Insight" skill do? My character apparently had some crazy revelation and got a bump in insight.

Having multiple monkey friends might be paying off as they gift you random items. While I wish they'd be more useful items but I can't complain as very few things are "free" in terms of time inputs.

What's the gimmick with ranged weapons? I'm guessing it just gives you a less accurate "free" attack you can open with. Weirdly it doesn't actually consume arrows just lowers their durability (I guess they're getting reused). Still waiting on unlocking quiver as you can have bow+arrow in back+shoulder slot and free up space.

Cage trap only catching monkeys is a bummer but I guess it's the only way to capture them alive when you're spear skills are too deadly.

OneTwentySix
Nov 5, 2007

fun
FUN
FUN

Cage traps can also catch partridges in the right locations - seeds as bait work best, I think.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

Panfilo posted:

What's the gimmick with ranged weapons? I'm guessing it just gives you a less accurate "free" attack you can open with. Weirdly it doesn't actually consume arrows just lowers their durability (I guess they're getting reused). Still waiting on unlocking quiver as you can have bow+arrow in back+shoulder slot and free up space.

Cage trap only catching monkeys is a bummer but I guess it's the only way to capture them alive when you're spear skills are too deadly.

After the combat rework they're now your first line of attack and with high skill and a good bow + arrows can outright kill creatures instantly or cause mortal wounds on ones like boars. Even a normal wound on an animal severely lowers their combat ability so can be worthwhile to carry a bow when hunting lizards/boar just for that chance. They can't fire at close range though so you still need to carry a spear and shield for after the first shot / when ambushed. They're also ideal for the hunter drone challenge.

Training with the bow ever morning and evening is a good routine to get into.

Rynoto fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Sep 17, 2023

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Announcement of their next game - Card Survival: Fantasy Life - though they haven't started Early Access yet.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Hell yeah

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
I hope I can get magic diarrhea

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
so I'll try to be oblique.
If it's as good as Tropical Island, I'm in. I want some UI updates though.

Speaking of, I finally beat the game with Hunter, adopting the island as my new home.

Gonna try for escape next.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
Sounds significantly more ambitious than TI so looking forward to this immensely!

Trivia posted:

If it's as good as Tropical Island, I'm in. I want some UI updates though.

While a mod this is the best UI overhaul I've used so far. Can just ignore adding more hand slots (if you want) and instead use the double line part of it to make it significantly easier to read everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Comedy mechanic: there is a magic system but only half thr "spells" work because it's all stuff that you have heard passed down from other over the years, like the cure for hiccups.