Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

LLSix posted:

Does the palm hat do anything? The grass skirt raises your temperature, but the palm hat doesn’t seem to lower it as you would expect if it is providing “protection from the sun”. I guess maybe it’s not useful for the hunter?
Hat's a bit hard to get an immediate read on its benefits, since the stats it affects are usually already things you'd take care of through other means, but it does offer some protection against sun and rain, and counts as clothing.
For the nitty-gritty that kind of needs more detailed info than the vanilla game provides (spoilered for that reason):
it provides a step of protection against overheating from the sun (being indoors/under foliage also helps), some rain protection (mostly only a concern if you're without shelter or fire), and assists in keeping good mental structure (as all worn clothing items do)
Not the most vital piece to craft, especially for the Hunter and Farmer, but at least it's relatively cheap in material/time cost.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Thanks.

Is there a way to bookmark items on iOS? I’m getting to have too many things to scroll through but am still working on a house so don’t want to spend time on making storage items just for organizing.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

LLSix posted:

Thanks.

Is there a way to bookmark items on iOS? I’m getting to have too many things to scroll through but am still working on a house so don’t want to spend time on making storage items just for organizing.

I'm assuming that android and IOS are the same, on the detail view for each card there is a bookmark icon that is in the top left corner that you can set to be 1-6, which will correspond to the numbers next to your held inventory. However the bookmarks only work for things on the ground at a location, if it is in a container it won't open that container. You can also use the pin icon to hold a card in place on the spread, so that even if you consume the item it'll leave a grayed out placeholder that will keep relevant cards together.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Thanks.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Is there much benefit to petting the monkey? Every time I try I get bit, so I don't know what it's supposed to do.

Oh, yeah, I tamed a monkey! It kept biting me when I tried to feed it so, I let it starve and dehydrate until it was almost dead then I gave it enough water to get it's happiness to 100, then I fed it, and it didn't bite me and now we're friends. I guess? I can equip him like a backpack.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
If your macaque friend is fully happy, well-fed/hydrated, and uninjured, petting should be pretty risk-free, though there may be a bit of an internal cooldown before they truly catch up with their happiness. The benefit is the companionship, right? Having them with you (even if not currently in your inventory) lowers your loneliness, petting is an even bigger boost.

Try experimenting with dragging items onto them, or dragging them over locations. Think like a monkey for this. Just try to keep up with their needs as well.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
equipping the monkey takes a shoulder slot so it’s shared with rope and maybe the non-rustic spears?

petting can be risky and bite chance is inversely related to happiness so pet after feeding / drinking only. it also isn’t really needed, if you talk to weston every 24h and keep him around even at max isolation you can keep your loneliness at zero even with camp only monkey. just pin the meter and keep an eye on it.

a semi major monkey benefit is being able to do a few tasks instantly that take you 15m. biggest ones are extracting nipa seeds (for bird feed) and shucking coconuts.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
Petting the monkey (and not getting bit) can help lower stress as well. Same thing as petting the dog friend if you roll a custom character.

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
so I'll try to be oblique.
I am very nearly at a win with the farmer. I just need to find a few more oysters and get some milk (I have the goats).

Can oysters be gotten at tide pools or are they diving only?

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
I've only found oysters while diving in the bay or exploring bird rock. Never found them in tide pools.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The Farmer start was surprisingly hard for me. You start several zones away from non-rice food sources, and with no callouses, you can’t explore much in a row before being in pain, even with the flip flops. Similarly, with no hand callouses you can’t work nonstop so juggling actions to avoid doing real damage to yourself from overwork or over exploring is hard and even then you tend to be super stressed.

The abundance of rice you get to start with seems like a huge advantage but after playing a few days it felt super necessary since there’s so little other food options around.

Anyone understand how grandpa’s health works? It seemed to me to start decreasing any time I let his hunger or water get below 70%.

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
Yeah you definitely have to approach the Farmer differently. You can craft hand and foot protection using cloth, which helps tremendously. The biggest hurdle is water imo, mainly because grandpa is always loving thirsty (worse if you have a macaque friend). Farmer can be cheesed though, I noticed. All you have to do is plant the crops, you don't have to nurture them to maturity.

I also noticed a bug when it comes to building scarecrows. Palm Weave Hats deteriorate slower than a scarecrow. Every time a scarecrow disintegrates you get the hat back at 100%. Just cycle them out every other build and you have unlimited hats.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Kramer: Unlimited hats, Jerry!

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

I’m 25 days into a farmer run. I’m not planning on restarting, but I’m really confused about what a good start would look like.

At first I thought the Farmer start location was to encourage players to explore the other side of the island. The secret valley is closer to the secret cove than other water sources and well positioned to rush towards the copper caves.

However, the secret cove requires a climb check to get to, and the best way I’ve found to train climbing is the beach. You can technically train climbing with the cliff in the wetlands, but I’ve been injured several times trying that so it feels like a bad idea. Which ends up leading my thoughts back to the beach, and a very similar play through to my hunter start.

You also need oil or fat to make a torch to smoke bees to get a Queen to make your first bee skep. Which means coconuts, which means going to the beach. In theory you could kill a boar to get fat instead, but even with early bow access, monkeys are still a serious threat, so planning on hunting a boar seems suicidal. Sure you could hope to get lucky, but “get lucky” is a terrible plan. Maybe you’re supposed to use log traps to kill a boar to get fat?

Trivia posted:

Yeah you definitely have to approach the Farmer differently. You can craft hand and foot protection using cloth, which helps tremendously. The biggest hurdle is water imo, mainly because grandpa is always loving thirsty (worse if you have a macaque friend). Farmer can be cheesed though, I noticed. All you have to do is plant the crops, you don't have to nurture them to maturity.

I also noticed a bug when it comes to building scarecrows. Palm Weave Hats deteriorate slower than a scarecrow. Every time a scarecrow disintegrates you get the hat back at 100%. Just cycle them out every other build and you have unlimited hats.

Why do you build scarecrows? I’ve never looked at them because I want birds to try to eat my crops. When they do I’ll shoot and eat them instead, but I’ve never noticed them try.

LLSix fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Dec 27, 2023

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
Sometimes crops will just disappear as they're growing. I attributed that to the birds.

Remember that the farmer is a little girl, so play it that way. Make traps instead of hunting.

Want a coconut tree to train climbing? Grow your own!

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

I find that my most successful farmer runs are when I just give in and run my feet raw exploring til I get to the beach. You need the sand for the ability to make mid blocks en masse, and the rice you start with can last you forever. Your biggest hurdle is keeping new plants watered, so you need blocks to create some sort of reservoir.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
You can use feathers, fiber, ash, rice straw and such instead of sand. Given how much you're going to be boiling rice on a fire early on, I tend to have plenty of ash and straw. Never found the need for grabbing sand just for bricks. Only thing that sand is required for is the clay pot cooler.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
in terms of a good early game it’s about time management and focusing on short term stuff in the first season. training climbing is the same in all locations in terms of risk and that risk is just not worth it early game because it takes too much time to train up climbing with too much risk of injury. boar combat is also suicide unskilled. you can use a log trap in the jungle once you unlock it, but that’s also solid mid game.

my farmer start was to lean on all the rice for food, let it separate by itself and explore as much as possible and push for the jungle asap for cord and partridges and big trees, getting to and staying at the first level of foot damage to develop calluses. recovery days are for tailoring and trapping and woodcarving and crafting, cutting trees aiming for wooden shovel and building a path, long sticks for the enclosure and boards for more rice paddies. jars are a good thing to work on as well, you can use the hay instead of fiber in bricks. like all starts you’re going to go through a weeks worth of depression cuz of the pain but your ultimate goal is to get to the beach and then to shipwreck for scrap for a good shovel. if you have extra time training spears and bows is good but again not a priority at all, you should run from every combat. if you’re lucky enough to get a boar trapped you can use the oil to make fried rice, and you should be making farms of kava and yams alongside the rice.

you don’t need to push for copper since you start with the knife and before coconuts you can live on jungle salad and bananas and yams. bees are very late game luxuries and aren’t even to be considered until you unlock mangroves and are full up on yam jam.

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Dec 27, 2023

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
Food is never really the issue in the game; there's always so much of it.

Water. Water is what's nearly killed me dozens of times.

I've got a massive farm as the Farmer with so much goddamn food. I think I had 70 eggs at one point before deciding to kill off partridges because I couldn't keep up.

But during the drought, even with one cistern and three reservoirs, I was down to an alembic with sea water and boiling cave water, along with palm wine and banana stumps.

I found Hunter more difficult honestly, but I think that's because I was also learning the game.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Maybe my luck is just terrible this run, but I’m on day 28 and haven’t caught any partridges yet, or anything else with traps. I’ve got 2 deadfall (heavy rock) traps and a snare trap in the secret valley. One of each in deep jungle, jungle highlands, and wetlands.

I’ve caught partridges on my hunter runs with palm bush seeds and that’s what I’m using here. The traps trigger, but haven’t caught anything yet. Typing this, I just realized rice looks a lot like seed and would probably be good for catching partridges as well. I’ll give that a try.

Bhodi posted:

in terms of a good early game it’s about time management and focusing on short term stuff in the first season. training climbing is the same in all locations in terms of risk and that risk is just not worth it early game because it takes too much time to train up climbing with too much risk of injury. boar combat is also suicide unskilled. you can use a log trap in the jungle once you unlock it, but that’s also solid mid game.

my farmer start was to lean on all the rice for food, let it separate by itself and explore as much as possible and push for the jungle asap for cord and partridges and big trees, getting to and staying at the first level of foot damage to develop calluses. recovery days are for tailoring and trapping and woodcarving and crafting, cutting trees aiming for wooden shovel and building a path, long sticks for the enclosure and boards for more rice paddies. jars are a good thing to work on as well, you can use the hay instead of fiber in bricks. like all starts you’re going to go through a weeks worth of depression cuz of the pain but your ultimate goal is to get to the beach and then to shipwreck for scrap for a good shovel. if you have extra time training spears and bows is good but again not a priority at all, you should run from every combat. if you’re lucky enough to get a boar trapped you can use the oil to make fried rice, and you should be making farms of kava and yams alongside the rice.

you don’t need to push for copper since you start with the knife and before coconuts you can live on jungle salad and bananas and yams. bees are very late game luxuries and aren’t even to be considered until you unlock mangroves and are full up on yam jam.

Thanks. The game provides so little feedback about the rng I’ve developed a lot of superstitions. Good to know all climb training locations are created equal.

I only discovered a few (game) days ago that rice will thresh itself, and that was only because I was trying to get it to rot to provide more farm/rice paddy components.

OneTwentySix
Nov 5, 2007

fun
FUN
FUN

Trivia posted:

Food is never really the issue in the game; there's always so much of it.

Water. Water is what's nearly killed me dozens of times.

But during the drought, even with one cistern and three reservoirs, I was down to an alembic with sea water and boiling cave water, along with palm wine and banana stumps.

You must be doing something off - I've won with every character at least once and I've done some challenge runs, and a cistern plus a reservoir should get you through the dry season easily.

Unless you're really unlucky (I had one game where I only got rain three days before the end of the drought), you'll usually have a rainy day during the drought where you can store up a lot of water - be sure to gather all the water you can and put it in your water storage, so you can gather more water. Don't neglect your coconuts and vases - use them first and consolidate liquids when they evaporate.

Also, be sure to avoid as much of the hot times of day as you can - you sweat more and lose water faster. Rest frequently - when you see your stamina pop up, rest for 15 minutes (preferably in shade) and you'll waste less water during the day.

Also, what's this on rice threshing itself?

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
Try playing mermaid if you feel like food is easy. Dear god she needs to eat so freaking much, and can't keep down something but seafood, meat and eggs.

GenericOverusedName fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Dec 28, 2023

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

OneTwentySix posted:

Also, what's this on rice threshing itself?

When you harvest rice from the top row it has a durability timer. When that timer runs out it doesn’t rot. Instead it splits into rice grains and rice straw just as if you’d threshed it. At this stage, rice doesn’t have a durability timer. So you may as well harvest it as soon as it grows (or rather whenever you have spare time) and let it thresh itself.

The one downside to doing this is that it seems to attract mice, who I guess might eat some of the stored rice. At least I didn’t see any mice for 28 days and now, right after I started doing this, I caught a mouse in a trap. The first thing I have caught this run. So it seems to increase mice chance. I don’t keep a close enough track of food to tell if any is disappearing (being eaten by mice).

Also, I guess the rice takes a long time to self-thresh, so you’ll probably have to harvest and thresh a few times yourself, but that’s no worse off than doing it all the time by hand.

Unrelatedly, I really like that you can harvest yams faster with a shovel. That’s a neat interaction.

LLSix fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Dec 28, 2023

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Wooo! Finally caught a male partridge. Evening 31, apparently complaining online about not catching anything was the trick. Thank you for your karmic assistance :)

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

I got four copper on my farmer run. This is not enough to make an axe, but it is enough to make a shovel or knife. I already have grandpa’s knife. Unfortunately I don’t have enough metal-working skill to make the shovel mold. So I am making and then melting down a copper knife in my forge to grind my metalworking skill, so I can make a shovel. Is there a better way to do this?

I guess I could mine the only copper vein I can get to without oil a third time, but I heard you get more copper from dynamiting copper, so I’m waiting until I have dynamite to finish it off. (I got the 1 guaranteed exploration copper in the Eastern highlands, a second copper from a lucky geode, and 2 more from mining the first vein twice)

LLSix fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Dec 29, 2023

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
You need 5 copper. You don't need to really grind metal working I reckon. Making the axe first should be enough to unlock the shovel.

I finally beat Farmer and am now on Tourist. I tried a little but holy hell what a starting mess lol

OneTwentySix
Nov 5, 2007

fun
FUN
FUN

I used to worry about dynamite and how much more efficient it is, but you end up delaying so much longer to get it, and I've never needed the extra it would produce - there are more than enough veins on the island to make all the tools without dynamite. There might be a way to do it faster with dynamite if you rush the volcano, but I've never needed to.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
I enjoyed the tourist, getting that first week down was rough though. It's definitely a "restart until you get lucky on the first few days" character and you're going to be the most miserable of miserable people spending one hour per mud brick for a week until you heal. But once you get past the first few weeks IMO tourist is one of the easiest victories, having two jerrycans and a great home that can't get damaged is amazing. A few tips for tourist:

The bugs can't get inside the plane, you'll be spending most of your time there.
2 Painkillers, dressing on laceration and abrasion. Go outside and explore. If you didn't find a stick on explore #2, just restart. Rip your underwear and make a tourniquet, explore as much as possible on the first day before your mood makes it impossible. You won't be moving much after that for at least a week. If you can find enough small stones, getting a campfire early is fantastic luck. Build it outside the plane because of the heat.
Tropical shirt is a +mood item so once you're in the dumps take it off and save it for the upswing. you can't be *more* depressed once you hit zero. Keep wearing two shirts for the bug protection.
Seats give comfort, so don't detatch/dismantle more than you absolutely need. They have a lot of materials though so you'll dismantle at least two for scrap.
It's critical to pin some of the status meters and know your dangers. Bug protection, Filth, Bug bites, malaria, sunburn, immune system. If bug bites get to 25%, and you "feel itchy" before you're healed, you die. If malaria has an up arrow for too long, you die. They're survivable once you're healed and you prepped.
In the first week, you're aiming to get that laceration stitched as fast as possible. If you can get an early lucky monkey kill, a bone needle makes survival a lot more likely.
You need to find and cultivate as much spider lily as you can, your immune system is only stable when you're got a positive mood. the (hidden) bacteria fever bar can be deadly so you're going to be slamming those teas until you can stabilize your mood (or when you're ill, don't get ill). Ginger is also useful, and kava of course.
Putting snakegrass on the fire prevents bugs but it "washes off" so wash yourself first and do it early and intend to use it all day

You need a single bowl on the first day, remember you don't need to research it you can just drag cards on each other and cure it over the campfire (or fire if unlucky). You'll also want a leaf bed to prevent too much backpain. Hopefully you can get some bananas. An early leaf skirt can also help with the bug protection / mood. I rushed kiln in my game to get the stove so I wouldn't have to go outside to cook (and to boil wetlands water in my jerrycan). I also got lucky and killed a monkey on day 3 so I was able to stitch my wound and heal it by day 7.

Good luck!

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Dec 30, 2023

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
You can use bird bones to make needles and hooks too, so getting some deadfall traps going can help with nabbing that early needle.

You do need to lose weight but keeping yourself starving will tank your mood real bad so do try to keep yourself at least a little bit fed if you can. Bone broth is amazing for this - fills you up without getting you fat. You can also use unsafe water for it just fine. After a while you'll have a ton of monkey bones sitting around so it's worthwhile.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The climb check to leave the secret cove is harder than the climb check to enter it. lol. RIP, me.

OneTwentySix posted:

I used to worry about dynamite and how much more efficient it is, but you end up delaying so much longer to get it, and I've never needed the extra it would produce - there are more than enough veins on the island to make all the tools without dynamite. There might be a way to do it faster with dynamite if you rush the volcano, but I've never needed to.

Good advice. I’ll do that.

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
I finally beat Farmer. It had been a foregone conclusion for a while, but I did get the win screen :toot:

Tourist is loving HARD.

I'm gonna need to re-evaluate the way I do things.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Did most people go straight from Farmer to Tourist? Or did you make an intermediate character between them?

Just losing the hunter/farmer strong immune system seems like it would be a big difficulty increase even without everything else going on with the tourist.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Broke my copper axe for the first time. I’m disappointed it takes longer to repair than the stone axe. 2 hours to make and a 30 minutes to sharpen. Still better than a stone axe because it lasts so much longer and cuts big trees in half the time.

Is there a way to sharpen the copper axe before it breaks, like the way Grandfather’s knife works? Same question for the shovel too.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
nope but it does get the crafting bonus reduction from table and chair.

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
Two deaths by dehydration (typhoid / cholera) on Tourist.

I'm slowly figuring it out.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Sounds like the tourist needs a lot of spider lilly.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
Rice for food and straw to make a coat would help a ton with traveling during the rain. Weak Immune System is a rough one. Once you've got a door a home in the grasslands so you aren't getting mosquito'd to death would help as well.

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
Yeah I ate all the charcoal / ginger / spider Lily I could find. Helped but I didn't have enough.

I figure needing to build a place outside the wetlands is a must, despite the great shelter that is the plane.

edit: Woo died again after 7 days. Unlucky with rain.

Trivia fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Jan 3, 2024

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
i forgot about that. tourist needs to rush those wetlands puddles and cave, since you start with a jerrycan once you healed you should try and push for the shipwreck and i remember right i was stable enough in the last weeks of hot season to do the caves just to unlock the second puddle, falling down the shaft and hoping for not too bad an injury

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OneTwentySix
Nov 5, 2007

fun
FUN
FUN

It's been a few months since I played my tourist run, but I stayed in the swamp. A few things to help:

Combine puddles. Each puddle increases bugs. Reservoirs do the same, though you can add oil I believe to protect them for a bit - this never felt worth it to me. The jerry can can take something like half a puddle, so if you can dry it up, do so. Don't waste water though, of course. Setting up a reservoir in the jungle can help, too - or a cistern, even better.

Burning snake grass will give you bug protection. This can be a huge help early on, since it barely costs anything and you have limited options for protection. Get a hat as soon as you can.

Get as much clothing covering as you can. When you get to bird island, the tarp can help with that, as well as give you water protection, both of which are really important.

Going outside when it's raining means no bugs, but you'll get sick due to crappy immune system so avoid at all costs early on. If you get your immune system up, though, and some rain protection, you can use rainy days to get some work done. Keep it limited, though. This takes practice, be sure to have spider lilies on hand.

Speaking of which, planting spider lilies one time should produce enough to last you the whole game if you're lucky - two will definitely be enough. They're critically important, so get them early - grinding snake grass a few times a day (not at the same time, though!) can help get your skill up to unlock planting.

Be sure to pin your important information, so you can take care of it if it starts rising. Camp fever is going to be a massive pain, but eventually you'll get it, and if you survive you'll be immune to it for the rest of the game. Spider lilies and other +immune plants are key - keep immune up for the couple days you have it and you'll be fine, and then you're much more free to get wet, etc.

Get a shovel with some scrap and and axe and get a path as soon as you can. Work outside for limited amounts until it's done - it'll mean you don't really need to rely on working in the swamp nearly as much, so you'll limit bug exposure.

Early on, my first goal was to lose weight. I managed by eating real food only occasionally for mood buffs (if I got a bird or something and it was about to spoil). I mostly ate ground snake grass if I remember right until then. Your mood will tank, but you'll be mostly healed up by the end and the obese penalty will be gone, so things definitely pick up after this point.

Hope that helps!