Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OneTwentySix
Nov 5, 2007

fun
FUN
FUN

Cage traps can also catch partridges in the right locations - seeds as bait work best, I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OneTwentySix
Nov 5, 2007

fun
FUN
FUN

Once I get a travois, I stop holding things in my slots for travel except a knife, and then I load it with sacks and my backpack - I don't forget to unload it then. If I'm packing the travois full, sometimes I'll wear the backpack - often you'll need to play a bit to get no encumbrance, but you can haul so much stuff. You can even fit a pig or tree in it.

OneTwentySix
Nov 5, 2007

fun
FUN
FUN

Trivia posted:

Food is never really the issue in the game; there's always so much of it.

Water. Water is what's nearly killed me dozens of times.

But during the drought, even with one cistern and three reservoirs, I was down to an alembic with sea water and boiling cave water, along with palm wine and banana stumps.

You must be doing something off - I've won with every character at least once and I've done some challenge runs, and a cistern plus a reservoir should get you through the dry season easily.

Unless you're really unlucky (I had one game where I only got rain three days before the end of the drought), you'll usually have a rainy day during the drought where you can store up a lot of water - be sure to gather all the water you can and put it in your water storage, so you can gather more water. Don't neglect your coconuts and vases - use them first and consolidate liquids when they evaporate.

Also, be sure to avoid as much of the hot times of day as you can - you sweat more and lose water faster. Rest frequently - when you see your stamina pop up, rest for 15 minutes (preferably in shade) and you'll waste less water during the day.

Also, what's this on rice threshing itself?

OneTwentySix
Nov 5, 2007

fun
FUN
FUN

I used to worry about dynamite and how much more efficient it is, but you end up delaying so much longer to get it, and I've never needed the extra it would produce - there are more than enough veins on the island to make all the tools without dynamite. There might be a way to do it faster with dynamite if you rush the volcano, but I've never needed to.

OneTwentySix
Nov 5, 2007

fun
FUN
FUN

It's been a few months since I played my tourist run, but I stayed in the swamp. A few things to help:

Combine puddles. Each puddle increases bugs. Reservoirs do the same, though you can add oil I believe to protect them for a bit - this never felt worth it to me. The jerry can can take something like half a puddle, so if you can dry it up, do so. Don't waste water though, of course. Setting up a reservoir in the jungle can help, too - or a cistern, even better.

Burning snake grass will give you bug protection. This can be a huge help early on, since it barely costs anything and you have limited options for protection. Get a hat as soon as you can.

Get as much clothing covering as you can. When you get to bird island, the tarp can help with that, as well as give you water protection, both of which are really important.

Going outside when it's raining means no bugs, but you'll get sick due to crappy immune system so avoid at all costs early on. If you get your immune system up, though, and some rain protection, you can use rainy days to get some work done. Keep it limited, though. This takes practice, be sure to have spider lilies on hand.

Speaking of which, planting spider lilies one time should produce enough to last you the whole game if you're lucky - two will definitely be enough. They're critically important, so get them early - grinding snake grass a few times a day (not at the same time, though!) can help get your skill up to unlock planting.

Be sure to pin your important information, so you can take care of it if it starts rising. Camp fever is going to be a massive pain, but eventually you'll get it, and if you survive you'll be immune to it for the rest of the game. Spider lilies and other +immune plants are key - keep immune up for the couple days you have it and you'll be fine, and then you're much more free to get wet, etc.

Get a shovel with some scrap and and axe and get a path as soon as you can. Work outside for limited amounts until it's done - it'll mean you don't really need to rely on working in the swamp nearly as much, so you'll limit bug exposure.

Early on, my first goal was to lose weight. I managed by eating real food only occasionally for mood buffs (if I got a bird or something and it was about to spoil). I mostly ate ground snake grass if I remember right until then. Your mood will tank, but you'll be mostly healed up by the end and the obese penalty will be gone, so things definitely pick up after this point.

Hope that helps!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OneTwentySix
Nov 5, 2007

fun
FUN
FUN

LLSix posted:

Can you train your immune system stat similar to a skill or callouses? I assumed it was all short-term buffs from spider-lily etc.

No, but high mood gives you a buff, and healing from your injuries removes one, I think?