Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Here is Slash doing the solo on an acoustic, which if any guitar player knows is quite a bit more difficult. First time I've heard this.

It's so good. I hate the random super heavy metal poo poo that is how many notes you can play in a second. Talented? Absolutely no doubt. But Slash has soul. A good bluesy aspect to it. The literal foundation of rock. When I learned guitar, all of my teachers started with the blues. :)

timestamped to his solo with whoever this dude is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5j6SQl6-F_Y&t=233s

He fucks up several times during this solo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Disco Pope posted:

Yeah, nothing as bad as RATMs "Cops are your friend" or Dead Kennedys "Check out his interview on Rogan he has some good ideas" or Bikini Kills "Tradwife Girl"

To clarify, and to be a bit less snide, I don't think that The Offspring are necessarily deliberate conservatives or pop-punk Skrewdriver or anything, but I do think the worldview on Americana has aged like milk and it makes the mid-tier pop-punk harder to stomach (like, they're better than Bowling for Soup, but not Green Day or Blink 182. They come in at about a New Found Glory). I had that record back in the day, I don't want to ruin anyone's nostalgia about it and definitely don't want to imply its politics reflects on them.

The Offspring, on Americana, come off very much like suburbanites who wanted to make a "State of the Nation" album but took the Jerry Springer show seriously. It all feels a bit mean-spirited and a little elitist with distance, so if I was half-cut and wanted some brain-erasing pop-punk, they'd probably be the last place I'd go. Even album stand out "The Kids Aren't Alright" seems to blame the characters for their situations when other punk bands can also tell stories about why someone "dropped out and had a couple of kids", and rather than be scandalised like a 50s housewife, talk about that experience. There's a lack of empathy and derision of the underclass on that album, which feels antiethical to its influences.

Yeah they fucken suck.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

He fucks up several times during this solo

Yeah he's pretty terrible. :jerkbag:

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

He's not terrible, but he's incredibly overrated as a musician: every solo is the same color-by-numbers pentatonic blues-rock snoozefest, and yet he still flubs them all the time in live settings. There are dozens of YouTube clips of teenagers killing this solo on an acoustic and they don't have the advantage of forty years of muscle memory and songwriting credits. Even in his heyday he wasn't doing anything that Gary Moore, Vivian Campbell, or Rory Gallagher hadn't already done much, much better. He is the ultimate "favorite guitarist of people who don't play guitar." Slash is mid-tier on a good day.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
To be fair, almost every time he was on stage he was legitimately dangerously drunk.

I think he wrote a book a while back about a bunch of that stuff.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

To be fair, almost every time he was on stage he was legitimately dangerously drunk.

I think he wrote a book a while back about a bunch of that stuff.

I play like poo poo when I'm hosed up too, I'm probably just salty that I spent all those years toiling in obscurity when the whole time I was just a top hat and a substance abuse disorder away from eternal fame.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Modal Auxiliary posted:

I play like poo poo when I'm hosed up too, I'm probably just salty that I spent all those years toiling in obscurity when the whole time I was just a top hat and a substance abuse disorder away from eternal fame.

:smith::hf::smith:

I got half of that recipe! (I do not own a top hat)

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

I'm not commenting on him in general, but the timestamped video you shared because "it's so good" is in fact, not good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Hello Machine
Jul 19, 2021

I'm not a real machine, but I am a real Hello-sayer.

Ratios and Tendency posted:

You're saying every song by my favourite band is good.

Yeah but I'm also saying they suck