Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Touch of Grey - Grateful Dead

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Saalkin posted:

Not Casey Jones?!

I don't know much from them. I don't like jam bands and I remember that one from when I was a kid and liked it. It's very different from their other stuff.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Pac and Cheese posted:

good shitpost but actually true, the first 5 seconds have been memed so hard that people forget it's their only good song. seriously if you listen at least to the chorus you'll be like "oh yeah that one, that one nickelback song that doesn't suck"

I liked Leader of Men when it came out and I still do. :colbert:

Well I haven't heard it in years but I remember liking it.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

I. M. Gei posted:

I don't believe anyone actually likes Bob Dylan. I think society just kind of woke up one day and agreed to pretend he's the greatest musician of all time, and now everyone is afraid to say otherwise.

Hell, that goes for the Beatles too.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

I. M. Gei posted:

John Lennon gave money to scientology. gently caress John Lennon and gently caress the Beatles. :colbert:

He died in 1980. If that's even true, he would have no loving idea what it would have become.

Kinda weird that his most famous song is about imagining no religion.

:colbert:

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

peanut posted:

REM - End of the world

This is a huge honeypot thread but eh. They had quite a few good songs. Losing My Religion was probably the biggest hit I remember.

Shiny Happy People was great. I remember watching the music video on MTV as a kid. I learned like a month ago that it was about Tiananmen Square.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Oh you're just this guy.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

:same:

When that movie came out was when I was just getting into weed and I saw that high alone at a theater I worked at and remember having my first existential crisis when I got home which led to me to stop believing in god.

Weird random memory.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Kryptonite by 3 Doors Down

Cause they suuuuuuuuuuuuuck

I believe they're a chud band too. They'd play chud events and poo poo. That was a good song when it came out but I can't remember any others from them.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Vampire Panties posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pDxgCWiSnkE

to be clear I think both Korn and 3 Doors Down suck very, very bad

Yeah hella chud band, there's a music video version of the song I linked where its all :patriot: ARE COUNTRY :patriot: jingoistic bullshit from the Desert Wars

I have been corrected. That's a good song.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

I remember in the early 2000s they had a music video that was US Army propaganda and the only place I ever saw it was at movie theaters.

Maybe it was that one.

This is now the 3rd or 4th time I've mentioned this on these forums but I remember seeing pro-Saudi Arabia ads at theaters and no one batted an eye. I was like.... wtf is this poo poo?

Just like a 15-30 second thing "Saudi Arabia..... our friends... Always...." or some other insane bullshit. It was immediately after 9/11 for very very obvious reasons. I didn't know anything about them or the attackers much at the time and shrugged it off and joined the Marines but god drat if that wasn't the weirdest ad I've seen at a theater.

I have no evidence of this and no one I've talked to remembers it.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

kntfkr posted:

that's what they call the mintjulip effect

It was after the marines where I began drinking myself to death.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Just saw this in the PYF meme thread. It's sort of appropriate.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

redshirt posted:

I admit upfront and without deception I don't know any music past 2009

:same:

Also, this video loving rocks. Like, legitimately one of the best videos I've ever seen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DcHKOC64KnE

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

redshirt posted:

Weird rear end Fury Road vibes, I love it.

And it was like 2002 or something.

The art is amazing. Looks like a video game.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I used to go to a certain bar all the time when I was younger and there wouldn't be a single night where Hotel California didn't play 2+ times.

It got annoying but it's a decent song.

Honestly I don't know anything else they do but they sound like old, light, slow country "rock" or something.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

It's 29 years old.

:cripes:

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

two of the worst loving videos that came out when I was 13.

November Rain is an amazing song and it came out right when my aunt died when I was like 8 or so and it was my first experience with death and the video hit me really hard.

Barring that, it's still really good.

GnR had some good poo poo. And Slash is still my favorite guitarist to this day. I honestly think the Sweet Child o' Mine solo is the best major band rock solo...... ever.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Here is Slash doing the solo on an acoustic, which if any guitar player knows is quite a bit more difficult. First time I've heard this.

It's so good. I hate the random super heavy metal poo poo that is how many notes you can play in a second. Talented? Absolutely no doubt. But Slash has soul. A good bluesy aspect to it. The literal foundation of rock. When I learned guitar, all of my teachers started with the blues. :)

timestamped to his solo with whoever this dude is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5j6SQl6-F_Y&t=233s

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

He fucks up several times during this solo

Yeah he's pretty terrible. :jerkbag:

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
To be fair, almost every time he was on stage he was legitimately dangerously drunk.

I think he wrote a book a while back about a bunch of that stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Modal Auxiliary posted:

I play like poo poo when I'm hosed up too, I'm probably just salty that I spent all those years toiling in obscurity when the whole time I was just a top hat and a substance abuse disorder away from eternal fame.

:smith::hf::smith:

I got half of that recipe! (I do not own a top hat)