Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

So the Offspring started using new engineers after Smash and goddamn does the cleaner production/mixing really highlight the fact that Dexter Holland can't sing for poo poo. Like it was kind of endearing on their earlier albums, or at the very least it fit with the rougher style. I heard one of their newer songs on the radio a few days back and the vocals are absolutely drenched in autotune, it sounds hilarious.

Anyway you're all wrong and the good Offspring song is actually "Bad Habit."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

JnnyThndrs posted:

I strongly supported their ‘gently caress Ticketmaster’ crusade and I’ve also heard Vedder is a decent dude, but the way he sings, holding one note forever(eeeeeeeeeevenfloooooowwww, daugggggggghttttttterrrr) is like fingernails on a chalkboard to me, plus their guitar work sounds generically sludgy to my ears.

I made it a point not to say they sucked, as I know a lot of people like them, I’m just not one of them.

Yeah, I'm for sure not a fan but their discography is deep enough to have a couple tracks that click for me. I actually really like Eddie's vocals on "Elderly Woman..." and it helps a lot that the song is blissfully free of pentatonic dad-rock guitar licks. "Do the Evolution" is a fun stylistic departure too, and the video was loving dope for its time.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

emSparkly posted:

The only good thing that came from Guns n Roses were the Mega Man X5 mavericks.

Duff McWhalen!

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Szyznyk posted:

For great songs by a terrible human being I nominate Ted Nugent’s entire catalog.

Oh man, hard disagree there. I don't think he does anything musically that you couldn't get from a dozen other artists (Molly Hatchet, Montrose, Foghat, etc) who aren't openly racist pedophiles.

But in the interest of fairness and disclosure, I also celebrate Rick James's entire catalogue and he was a top-tier piece of poo poo, so take everything with a grain of salt.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Yeah he's pretty terrible. :jerkbag:

He's not terrible, but he's incredibly overrated as a musician: every solo is the same color-by-numbers pentatonic blues-rock snoozefest, and yet he still flubs them all the time in live settings. There are dozens of YouTube clips of teenagers killing this solo on an acoustic and they don't have the advantage of forty years of muscle memory and songwriting credits. Even in his heyday he wasn't doing anything that Gary Moore, Vivian Campbell, or Rory Gallagher hadn't already done much, much better. He is the ultimate "favorite guitarist of people who don't play guitar." Slash is mid-tier on a good day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Pennywise the Frown posted:

To be fair, almost every time he was on stage he was legitimately dangerously drunk.

I think he wrote a book a while back about a bunch of that stuff.

I play like poo poo when I'm hosed up too, I'm probably just salty that I spent all those years toiling in obscurity when the whole time I was just a top hat and a substance abuse disorder away from eternal fame.