Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Nick Buntline posted:

first run managed to get to ~B60 before running out of lives and needing to switch to VOID; I could have gotten farther, but apparently JUSTICE didn't appreciate my strategy of quitting the game and reloading to conserve lives, and I got cursed to lose a life every time a floor loaded (at least I'm pretty sure that's why that happened - possibly I could have avoided it by pleading not guilty? does anyone know?).

second run is definitely going smoother (at the very least, I'm not accidentally ending cutscenes or murdering NPCs due to poor understanding of controls); game's really good, and looking forward to/dreading the puzzles getting worse.

I finished the game with seemingly no consequences after choosing not guilty. Them going Mr. Resetti on your rear end is really funny though. I finished my first run voided and then did a non-void run after, it felt like intended progression and I was able to use the tricks I learned the first time to breeze through the floors

edit: And the voided ending is loving sick, worth doing it

goferchan fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Sep 7, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrBlarney
Nov 8, 2009
I was clued into this game from a different, smaller forum, and it showed up in my Steam's New and Trending list, so I decided to dive in. Five hours in, (progress) completed my first run through the labyrinth, and it's got its hooks into me.

I'm such a fan of games that teach you about things that were 'there all along', and the first run has had that in spades. Teaching how to set up a reset to cap off the first run was also a great touch. When I learned that I could lift up button and exit tiles, it felt like a bit of a headslap moment. I recognized, but was unable to solve any of the mural puzzle floors in that first run, so I'm looking forward to seeing how solving them might change things up in the next run. And maybe see what changes when I don't die on B002 this time? I don't expect to go deathless on just the second run, but we'll see how far I get.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Accidentally baited a bull into (4th stratum) the thief. And I was doing so well with NPCs this time. :newlol:

Nick Buntline
Dec 20, 2007
Doesn't know the impossible.

goferchan posted:

I finished the game with seemingly no consequences after choosing not guilty. Them going Mr. Resetti on your rear end is really funny though.

follow-up since I was curious on the other instance I saw: pleading guilty on touching the lamia's boobs appears to have replaced all push sound effects with the boob bounce sound effect, which is hilarious and also probably going to confuse me and cause some unnecessary deaths in this run.

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
:dukedog:
More progress, in new and exciting ways. I assume I have hard mode unlocked reached the end hungry and Gray made a choice I disagree with but I've been digging deeper into the mysteries I already have before going into that.

I'm not really looking for answers or confirmations or hints, just sharing some highlights of my journey:

I found some sweet graffiti by my man MON and summoned him in the first instance by duplicating locusts. He gave me a clue to a shortcut and I also pissed off the VOID COURT in the process, that was a shock since I hadn't abused savescumming hard enough before then. I went to track down his other instances in a no-deaths run only to discover I was short on locusts for each and every one :confused: Then I realized, and hosed around and found out. I now know where several more shortcuts are and they certainly make revisits more tolerable on top of everything else! The JUSTICE system seems none the wiser, or perhaps even endorses my cheating?

I finally got that gem on B001 that's been haunting me for days and floor B000 is super weird. Not sure what's going on there. I'm interested in what might happen if I try to give myself 4 digits of health, or visit a room beyond B255 or maybe a side trip to B?00.

Also got some non-mural carvings to investigate which look like simple nonogram depictions of certain rooms. They seem to point towards secret gems so I'm not in any rush because while the pictures are cute they haven't been relevant. No idea what the deal is with the fruits and vegetables though.

17 hours so far and loving every minute of it.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Took me a while but the naming scheme for the Void Lords finally clicked. BEElzebub, SaTAN, MamMON, etc-- makes sense with Bee's locusts, Mon's mercantile nature, etc

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
oh this game has boss fights huh

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Picked this game up after someone compared it to La-mulana in the Steam thread, then saw it had a thread of its own.

I...think I've beaten the game, though I gather there's more to it than what I've seen. "Died" pretty quickly, ate the apple, saw a bunch of flashbacks, then got interrupted right before the end with a teleporting musical number and...amnesia? Something's up.

The most interesting thing I found was a giant egg, though the game called it a carcass. I found it in an error void, and had to track it down using sound and graph paper. It looked like something had burst out of it and later, while I was mapping out the place, something ran up and killed me. I'm assuming someone else found this as well.

Anyway, started up my second playthrough. Still alive so far, but found some crystals (though they disappear when I move between rooms. I'm I collecting these or do I need to use them for something in each room? One of the appeared where there used to be some NPC I couldn't save.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Check the Memories option in the pause menu

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Finally, finally found one of the Picross solution rooms :woop:

Anyone have any tips on where to find the (pertaining to having lots of locusts) 2nd shortcut, the one with the hint about 3 leeches? I must've missed it several times now.

Elswyyr
Mar 4, 2009
Spoiler related to Idols and floors.

oh my god can i exchange health/locust count/floor count now? that's completely insane, this game is so cool

Elswyyr
Mar 4, 2009

lets hang out posted:

Anyone have any tips on where to find the (pertaining to having lots of locusts) 2nd shortcut, the one with the hint about 3 leeches? I must've missed it several times now.

It's quite early on. One of the leeches is in the top right and can be hard to see. I don't remember the exact floor number, but it's before floor 50 I'm pretty sure.

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011

lets hang out posted:

I doubt it's the issue, but just to be absolutely clear, leeches are the enemies that look like snakes.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

BoldFace posted:

I doubt it's the issue, but just to be absolutely clear, leeches are the enemies that look like snakes.

lmao yes that is in fact the issue :doh:

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
So what are the enemies that look like leeches?

Also (major spoiler I hit nine hours in) jeez the floor B67 treasure totally changes the game. From solving hard puzzles to cheating at them (which I enjoy a lot more ha).

Steely Glint
Oct 29, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
I'm bad at block pushing puzzles but seriously -- this is a good time so far. I suspect I won't make it to the super turbo secret true final ending but I did get to one! I don't think I've seen it mentioned so far so here's some steps that may or may not be necessary or sufficient to trigger it:
- Escape into the abyss
- Follow the sound
- Interact with the carcass and fidget around until stuff happens

3DBlast
Oct 9, 2012

Steely Glint posted:

I'm bad at block pushing puzzles but seriously -- this is a good time so far. I suspect I won't make it to the super turbo secret true final ending but I did get to one! I don't think I've seen it mentioned so far so here's some steps that may or may not be necessary or sufficient to trigger it:
- Escape into the abyss
- Follow the sound
- Interact with the carcass and fidget around until stuff happens

After spending way too long trying to trigger the last step here, specifically you have to bonk into the carcass six times, wait six seconds and then press interact.

Extremely cool game.

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011
If the choice is between not finishing the game and looking up spoilers to some of the puzzles you can't solve yourself, I doubt many would hold a player in contempt for choosing the latter.

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.
(Major spoilers pertaining to Floor 227 onwards; specifically, its mural puzzle, and what lies at the bottom.)

The Cif fight is sneaky, considering that fighting Bee right before primes you for a straightforward boss battle. The leadup to the final sequence is really cool, and the scenes between Add and Lily were cute. Haven't beaten Lev's final phase yet, but it shouldn't take too long.

Steely Glint
Oct 29, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

3DBlast posted:

After spending way too long trying to trigger the last step here, specifically you have to bonk into the carcass six times, wait six seconds and then press interact.

Extremely cool game.

Thanks for the clarification! In retrospect that makes sense because it's the same pattern you're taught to use to escape the flesh room with the talky cube, I think. Patterns~

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

goferchan posted:

Check the Memories option in the pause menu
Oh, very neat. Thanks.

This certainly adds a new wrinkle to the plot.

Tiramisu
Dec 25, 2006

Hey, where did you go!? Do you really dislike seeing my face that much!?
Maaan I know how Dis rolls but they got me with (hard mode npc) Ninnie’s levels. Primarily because you can see Lillie opening up and then they just let the implications hang without commentary. I’m finding the story surprisingly engaging and the threads are really coming together nicely. Lots of very effective subtext and reveals that really give new context to prior scenes.

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.
Got the true ending with just under 42 hours on the clock. What an incredible game.

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
I first decided to try visiting B257 and that was a BIG MISTAKE. I came across a giant lady with her skull cracked open and it seemed like the only way to progress was to take her offer because refusing left me in limbo which reset all of my progress. Not like dying normally, but as if I just launched the game for the first time. SUPER NOT COOL! All my gems :negative:

edit: the same thing seems to happen if you break out of the void ending by moving the stairs after the tree and you can avoid it by either dying or exiting the game. Learn from my mistake.

Swilo fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Sep 8, 2023

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Swilo posted:

I first decided to try visiting B257 and that was a BIG MISTAKE. I came across a giant lady with her skull cracked open and it seemed like the only way to progress was to take her offer because refusing left me in limbo which reset all of my progress. Not like dying normally, but as if I just launched the game for the first time. SUPER NOT COOL! All my gems :negative:

edit: the same thing seems to happen if you break out of the void ending by moving the stairs after the tree and you can avoid it by either dying or exiting the game. Learn from my mistake.

Ouch. Can you at least use the special brand to jump right to hard mode? If you don't have a screenshot of it I can give you one

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

"I'm sick and tired of reading these posts!"
Jesus, I'm still on my second run but ready to squeeze every lotus out of every treasure chest and go all the way, whatever that means. So much is unlocked by figuring out how to acquire burdens that I think they really should drop a hint at the end of your first voided run.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Whew it is slow going over here in hard mode.

MrBlarney
Nov 8, 2009
So that's nine hours and completion of my second descent into the labyrinth done, as well as my first ending?

Discussion of current understanding follows: The reveals just keep on coming, huh? I've discovered that, while you're not in VOID state, that the locust idols act as extra lives. I did not expect to get extra abilities from completing mural puzzles, and I used them liberally in the latter half of my descent. (Side note: I also didn't expect a surprise rhythm mini-game in the memory segment I warped over in my first run.) But I didn't complete all of the mural rooms, nor did I collect all of the memory crystals. I did get enough to unlock the first, last, and middlemost images, though. Those, combined with the ending, make me wonder who is actually depicted in those images, and from what era? There was already the hint at something high-tech from the broken mural observed in the first run, but it's not clear to me what the reality of the world is both inside and outside the labyrinth. Despite the fact that I did get an ending, the other fact that I got an alphabetic / binary code right before hitting the end obviously points to more to uncover. (Also, it took away the game's Steam achievement, which I didn't know was possible. Interesting.) Nothing left to do but restart the game and see what has changed and what other details I can figure out.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Yeah losing the achievement is a super cute little twist, I had no idea that was possible either. As for the memories.... definitely boot the game back up and see what's new!

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
More progress, more fun. Finally solved the riddle of NLYOFE :doh: but still need to tackle MIOENS. Kinda sad there was no reward down there, just an untalkative statue who takes damage if you push it then can't be moved again. I guess it does have a rock spell out how to mess with the brane value though.

3DBlast posted:

Extremely cool game.

Thanks for the tip. I put the solution together thanks to knowing about the bell sound but forgot to try inspecting it afterwards because there was no confirmation like the stairs appearing in the room you learn that or the chest flashing when you get L U C K Y !

Now my title screen is different.

goferchan posted:

Ouch. Can you at least use the special brand to jump right to hard mode? If you don't have a screenshot of it I can give you one

Thankfully yes, they all still work but were no longer shown until after entering them. I assume that's the game's default state? The only thing it seemed to have preserved was my color selection, purple is the most void-y imo and less fatiguing to look at.

RoboCicero posted:

Jesus, I'm still on my second run but ready to squeeze every lotus out of every treasure chest and go all the way, whatever that means. So much is unlocked by figuring out how to acquire burdens that I think they really should drop a hint at the end of your first voided run.

They do! When you sleep at the tree in the B??? floor after the super rad musical event it shows a picture of the first brand again but in black and white and the exact size and position of room tiles. It's very subtle but intended to lead you to thinking about them as shapes as well as coded text, and there happens to be a room exactly like that very early on...

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

"I'm sick and tired of reading these posts!"

Swilo posted:

They do! When you sleep at the tree in the B??? floor after the super rad musical event it shows a picture of the first brand again but in black and white and the exact size and position of room tiles. It's very subtle but intended to lead you to thinking about them as shapes as well as coded text, and there happens to be a room exactly like that very early on...
That rules, and I absolutely need to be paying more attention.

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

What does void memory do?

Accidentally figured out what the black statues do well past floor 100, welp

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

Atoramos posted:

What does void memory do?

Accidentally figured out what the black statues do well past floor 100, welp

lets you talk to rocks

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.

Venuz Patrol posted:

lets you talk to rocks

also lets you understand the language of the murals

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

Oh I tried that for the first time after finding the thing so it was very unclear it made a difference.

found wings, what the locust statues do, the fun you can have on B099, and the mural explaining where the dude shows up to tell you about secrets. Is there a downside to using special brands in future runs? I'm guessing having 1 locus on B99 is how to get the crystal in B1

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
I've been through the entire game at least a dozen times and only just tonight realized something I consistently missed: a god damned floor. I immediately checked that out and left more confused than when I entered. This game is really good!

Atoramos posted:

Is there a downside to using special brands in future runs?

No penalties that I have encountered, but they do logically enable or block access to some things.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Made some good progress on my second run, found some new floors with enemies who copy your movements, played DDR, then got stonewalled. I tried pleading innocent/guilty but nothing came of it, then refused to eat the apple and lost my one achievement. I had no idea a game could do that, honestly. Pretty neat.

On my third attempt now, saved the nun, who got killed by a snake last time, held enter to wake up from a flashback, and discovered I could swap my HP, locust, and level values around. Last time I tried I accidentally hit the level gauge itself and wound up in an infinite expanse of nothing but that hatched egg.

I also got the infinity brand at the start of my third attempt, but it didn't do anything. The instructions said to enter it twice but the game started after entering it once.

I'm intrigued, but some of these mysteries feel big enough I'm probably gonna have to turn to the community at large. I was able to finish La-Mulana 2 mostly guide-less, but that game was positively brimming with information in comparison.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
Oh cool there's a thread I can rant about the Full "There are no mysteries left, don't click this unless you've already solved every mural and every puzzle that resulted from that" Ending of finishing DIS with Lillie mode enabled because lol lmao at the diagetic timeline of events

- Lily gets duped/enticed, by her surrogate mother figure, into a marriage proposal with an rear end in a top hat that wants to kill her
- Lily gets kidnapped instead and stuck in a box
- Gray goes to save Lily, finds out Lily is pregnant
- Takes Lily's kid instead, leaves Lily in the box
- Names the kid Lillie, treats her like a replacement Lily until she slips up and lets Lillie know she's adopted
- Refuses to elaborate
- Dies
- Lillie comes back to her old house, gets dropped down a hole
- Goes to save her bio mom because Gray couldn't be bothered to the first time around
- Gets possessed by Add
- Saves Lily
- Promises to elaborate later
- Kills Lev
- Drops Lily naked on a beach somewhere (somewhen?) while the ghosts of Gray and Lily's mom look on
- Refuses to elaborate
- Dies

If that's the actual full ending and I'm not missing a Actual Real Full True Ending locked behind OstRanger If no-hits or something then sheesh talk about being dealt a poo poo hand, poor Lily

I get that the "canonical" true ending is probably meant to be played as Gray and not Lillie and basically everything involving Lillie is "rolled back" if Add!Gray saves Lily the first time around via the power of metaknowledge, but it's still kind of wild that they did all the Add!Lillie dialogue and artwork and still ended it that way anyways, especially since the earlier "bad" ending leaves Lillie and Lily at least able to pick up the pieces of their relationship that Gray unceremoniously stole the first 16-20 years of

Ursine Catastrophe fucked around with this message at 11:04 on Sep 8, 2023

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.
Could use a hint for B217 now:

I know here I can't summon shadows until after I get rid of the two beholder guys,, I probably need to use the statue to crush them, but again the tile economy if messing with me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Wait, Picross now?

What is going on.