Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011

grate deceiver posted:

Could use a hint for B217 now:

I know here I can't summon shadows until after I get rid of the two beholder guys,, I probably need to use the statue to crush them, but again the tile economy if messing with me.

I don't remember my exact solution, but the gist was moving all the shadow tiles from the center to the edges of the area so that you are left with a big clump of white tiles. I would probably prioritize replacing the top glass tile with normal white tile. Don't be afraid to activate the corner tiles if they let you grab a white tile or move a shadow tile out of the way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Is there a way to reset after starting a void run? I wanted to see if something different would happen but nope.

I should probably start writing down some of these solutions. I keep forgetting the more complicated ones.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

not to boast but I've got 100% achievements

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Bad Seafood posted:

Is there a way to reset after starting a void run? I wanted to see if something different would happen but nope.

I should probably start writing down some of these solutions. I keep forgetting the more complicated ones.

There is and it's actually taught to you at the end of a voided run

But if you really want it spelled out:
Move one of those black, multi-eyed statues so it's directly above a staircase, then descend

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

BoldFace posted:

I don't remember my exact solution, but the gist was moving all the shadow tiles from the center to the edges of the area so that you are left with a big clump of white tiles. I would probably prioritize replacing the top glass tile with normal white tile. Don't be afraid to activate the corner tiles if they let you grab a white tile or move a shadow tile out of the way.

Once again complaining on the internet helped :thumbsup:

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

B203

how do

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Hwurmp posted:

B203

how do

While a shadow is following you, you can still push things safely

Also holy poo poo goddamn, any game that features an original song with vocals is instantly S-tier 10/10 GOTY

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
To people who have beaten beaten the game, how many times did you accidentally take a black statue staircase? I need to know if I'll get better at this.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Hwurmp posted:

B203

how do

All those statues are a bit of a red herring, I think you can do this one by only picking up two different tiles

More explicitly: Get the stairs one step away from a button, then make a safe path for you and your shadow to get there

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
got to the end of a voided run and whatever that was was very cool

John DiFool
Aug 28, 2013

Bad Seafood posted:

I also got the infinity brand at the start of my third attempt, but it didn't do anything. The instructions said to enter it twice but the game started after entering it once.

If you don’t enter it correctly then the game assumes it’s your brand. If you entered it correctly the game will ask you to enter the same brand again to confirm.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
Stuck on B191. I can get to the exit, but haven't figured out how to get to the treasure chest at all.

Specifically, I can't figure out how to do anything with the upper left "timer" statue. I tried using the destructible floor plates to destroy it, but it doesn't seem to work.

Any hints? I think I'm just missing a small piece of a mechanic here.

Edit: Welp, accidentally went down the stairs, so I guess I'll try it next time through.

Edit 2: Aha, a couple of levels later it taught me an important new detail about those tiles.

WhiteHowler fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Sep 8, 2023

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

Oh cool there's a thread I can rant about the Full "There are no mysteries left, don't click this unless you've already solved every mural and every puzzle that resulted from that" Ending of finishing DIS with Lillie mode enabled because lol lmao at the diagetic timeline of events

does she necessarily fade away? I figured that only triggers if the very last sequence is failed

John DiFool posted:

If you don’t enter it correctly then the game assumes it’s your brand. If you entered it correctly the game will ask you to enter the same brand again to confirm.

to elaborate a little, if a special brand is inputted correctly it will show a special background before you finish selecting it

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Venuz Patrol posted:

does she necessarily fade away? I figured that only triggers if the very last sequence is failed

that may be the no-hit ending I was missing-- I've done the final sequence twice, once where I got hit during it and once where I interacted on Lev's heart and got a bonus sequence that still ended in the "fading away" cutscene, so I was under the impression that fading away was the outcome no matter what you did during that

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

that may be the no-hit ending I was missing-- I've done the final sequence twice, once where I got hit during it and once where I interacted on Lev's heart and got a bonus sequence that still ended in the "fading away" cutscene, so I was under the impression that fading away was the outcome no matter what you did during that

(true ending) oh, i was referring to filling the heart. if that doesn't change the ending then i'm wrong. i've made it fairly far into that last set of patterns, but the amount of time it takes to reach that point and without any way to practice it outside the moment.... somewhat daunting

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Hwurmp posted:

not to boast but I've got 100% achievements

Same. I'm real good at this game.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Venuz Patrol posted:

(true ending) oh, i was referring to filling the heart. if that doesn't change the ending then i'm wrong. i've made it fairly far into that last set of patterns, but the amount of time it takes to reach that point and without any way to practice it outside the moment.... somewhat daunting

When I did it that way, I got to it very early on when only one of the symbols was "activated", so it's not impossible that there's an entirely different end sequence hidden behind getting through everything otherwise untouched first, I was just Assuming it's just the same outcome no matter what when you get there

Ursine Catastrophe fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Sep 8, 2023

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Finished my basic bitch first run, now we're cooking with gas :getin:

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
:dukedog:

Venuz Patrol posted:

to elaborate a little, if a special brand is inputted correctly it will show a special background before you finish selecting it

And if you're still confused: the special brands are drawn in negative space, so you may be inputting the inverse which does not count

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
I'm up in the ~B220's and things are getting difficult.

Somewhere around B209 I had a "holy poo poo" epiphany moment for something that doesn't seem too useful (yet) but still blew my mind. Crazy that I'm still learning new mechanics.

You can walk down onto the status bar at the bottom. I mean, what?

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

B029 I randomly had a Secret pop up on the right side of the screen. No idea what it was or what clue led to it, I'm assuming maybe it was a crystal but didn't seem like it. Can't trigger it again.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

John DiFool posted:

Huh, I see. I'll have to give it another whirl.

WhiteHowler posted:

I'm up in the ~B220's and things are getting difficult.

Somewhere around B209 I had a "holy poo poo" epiphany moment for something that doesn't seem too useful (yet) but still blew my mind. Crazy that I'm still learning new mechanics.

You can walk down onto the status bar at the bottom. I mean, what?
You can do a lot more than that.

That was also a breakthrough moment for me.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
1.0.2 patch notes indicate that sufficiently frustrated voided players should be able to bail on a run if they jump down enough holes in quick succession

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Requesting new thread title:

Void Stranger: There was a hole here. It's gone now.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Discendo Vox posted:

Don't ask how I know

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

This hole was made for me.

MrBlarney
Nov 8, 2009
Status: Five more hours on the game, and I'm only a third of the way through my third descent through the void?

Observations: So Void Stranger Lily, a.k.a. Hard Mode, is a really big step up in difficulty compared to Gray's campaign, huh? I unexpectedly triggered the game's state scum protection after I got a bit confounded on B035, and had my lives privileges taken away from me. I went VOID shortly afterwards and have been gradually making my descent since then. Other than that, I don't think I've learned anything new mechanically. I did experience a little bit of the differences between being alive vs void from the first mural puzzle chamber, but I feel like I need to finish this void run first before I can really know more of what to do on my next run.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.
Just finished what I think was my first run through the game, but now I"m uh... kinda not sure what I should be doing.

One question about the cutscenes you get when you rest: Is the last cutscene you get on the first run the one of Lady Gray giving up and being arrested? I figured out what the smiling statues do early on in my first run and I'm concerned I might have inadvertently skipped a tree.

But yeah, I feel like all I've figured out from ending the first run and starting a second is how to activate the four-eyed statues and how to get crystals. But apart from that it feels like all I'm doing on the second run is exactly what I did on the first, only now I have to play much more cautiously because I don't want to die and there's no "reset room" button. I did notice that the brand on the B1 mural showed up during the first run's ending, but I have no idea what to do with it and I've mostly forgotten the message that showed up with it beyond something about an "envious one". Is this about where I should be or am I missing something obvious?

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

One question about the cutscenes you get when you rest: Is the last cutscene you get on the first run the one of Lady Gray giving up and being arrested? I figured out what the smiling statues do early on in my first run and I'm concerned I might have inadvertently skipped a tree.

The rest cutscenes are tied to the floor number the tree is on, not the order you find them in, so there's no pressure to try and count how many you've found and re-watch all of them in one go-round.

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

But yeah, I feel like all I've figured out from ending the first run and starting a second is how to activate the four-eyed statues and how to get crystals. But apart from that it feels like all I'm doing on the second run is exactly what I did on the first, only now I have to play much more cautiously because I don't want to die and there's no "reset room" button. I did notice that the brand on the B1 mural showed up during the first run's ending, but I have no idea what to do with it and I've mostly forgotten the message that showed up with it beyond something about an "envious one". Is this about where I should be or am I missing something obvious?

There's something that the game tries to reinforce a little bit, yeah. The game showed you the B1 mural again to try and prime your brain for some pattern recognition. How big was the mural, again? Remember seeing anything of similar dimensions?

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Venuz Patrol posted:

Update: I managed to pull off a no-hit and just went the entire way without entering the heart until it ended itself, ending unchanged, so I guess the only thing is to no-hit and enter the heart at the very end of it, but I'm not holding my breath for an alternate at this point since I did it unvoided through Bee/Cif to boot. Part of me has the dire thought that a "no item" run is required for True Ending but DIS absolutely requires you to have all of them so I think this is probably it

lih
May 15, 2013

i still haven't completed a non-voided run because i keep stumbling upon weird stuff i haven't seen yet and then having it ruin my run

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

lih posted:

i still haven't completed a non-voided run because i keep stumbling upon weird stuff i haven't seen yet and then having it ruin my run

After failing your run have you tried refusing to eat the fruit? You should unlock something to make things easier

poe meater
Feb 17, 2011
Do I lose anything for using the B190~ spoiler shortcut function where you drop down in front of the statue?

lih
May 15, 2013

i have since then because i wanted to reset some npcs but i could have easily finished a run without that if i didn't decide to explore lol

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011
The game could do a better job explaining that starting a new game and being returned to B001 are not the same thing.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Discendo Vox posted:

ok

For the record I will action any thread title that doesn't have a slur in it, basically, go ahead and report the post where the person came up with it :cheers:

faantastic
Dec 31, 2006

that dude.

BoldFace posted:

The game could do a better job explaining that starting a new game and being returned to B001 are not the same thing.

As my first time playing this style of game I'm very overwhelmed and after managing to send myself back to the start but not finish the first run I'm worried I'll reset myself again or miss something. I know I'll have to do multiple playthrus but don't want to waste my own time either.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

BoldFace posted:

it is very explicitly a trial-and-error thing, given that there's at least 3 ways for a run to "restart" and all of them have different effects on the world state

poe meater posted:

Do I lose anything for using the B190~ spoiler shortcut function where you drop down in front of the statue?

any shortcut that involves "skipping floors" just means "skipping whatever's on those floors"; whether or not that's important to your current run or not is going to vary wildly depending on what you're specifically trying to do at that moment. in general shortcuts are probably fine if you accept that sometimes you might end up in a situation where you have to go back and do the non-shortcut route anyways, and I'd probably take some notes about what floors the shortcut started/ended you at so you know the spots you've looked at the least if you get stuck

faantastic posted:

As my first time playing this style of game I'm very overwhelmed and after managing to send myself back to the start but not finish the first run I'm worried I'll reset myself again or miss something. I know I'll have to do multiple playthrus but don't want to waste my own time either.

I wouldn't stress too much about it, just take notes/screenshots about what floors have things that look interesting but you have no idea what to do with and you might find some things later that trigger a "oh, that's what that was for" or let you get back to those specific places quicker

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

faantastic posted:

I've played the first 100 floors quite a few times now and expect to do so quite a few more times. luckily I keep getting new poo poo and shortcuts to make it faster and faster and faster...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
For reference of how deep these things go I think no one's successfully done a full pacifist run of Zero Ranger yet.