Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!
Still chugging along, though my patience is starting to wear thin with the repetition, so I'm going to have to start taking it in smaller doses. I would loving kill for an undo button. I understand why it doesn't have one, but it makes every small mistake or fat finger that causes a reset pretty frustrating.

While picking up the memory crystal on B001, I warped back to B000 while I was at it and found a weird chimera creature that looks like an amalgam of a bunch of the other lords. When I entered the room, some cards hanging from a line burned away, not sure what to make of that.

Got all of the Covetous Lord's hints, though I'm having trouble finding the rooms for a couple of them. "Three leeches roam, one completely out of reach" sounds like it should describe a lot of levels, but I have some mental block that prevents me from noticing when I go past that one. Just to check, leeches are the slow white crawlers, right? The slightly faster grey ones look more like snakes to me. Starting to regret not simply taking a screenshot of every single floor. Don't suppose anyone has a handy zip file with floors B000-227 or so lying around?

Edit: Just fat fingered an input and dropped down in front of a smiling statue at B186 when I was just trying to clean up memory crystals from the last few levels and maybe finish unvoided. I had enough locusts to put me past the end of the game, and it put me in this weird void with disappearing platforms and a seemingly infinite set of random but easy (other than not being able to see the floor more than 2 tiles away) levels. The game quit out and put me back on B186 when I fat fingered another input and died, which was a relief, but I wonder if I'm going to have to head back in there and write down some level layouts at some point.

Thoom fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Apr 6, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Thoom posted:

Got all of the Covetous Lord's hints, though I'm having trouble finding the rooms for a couple of them. "Three leeches roam, one completely out of reach" sounds like it should describe a lot of levels, but I have some mental block that prevents me from noticing when I go past that one. Just to check, leeches are the slow white crawlers, right? The slightly faster grey ones look more like snakes to me.
nope! leeches're the snake-looking fuckers

considered de-spoiling that because it's dumb and i hate it

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!
Oh poo poo. Well, I know exactly where that is, then.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Ciaphas posted:

nope! leeches're the snake-looking fuckers

considered de-spoiling that because it's dumb and i hate it

lol yeah that made me so mad

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!
Whoa.

Made it to the bottom without dying, and got to see the rest of "Lady Grey"'s story. That certainly turns all my plot theories upside down. I thought this was going to be the standard artsy game story where it's a metaphor for psychological trauma, based on the photos you unlock with memory crystals obviously taking place in the modern world. But maybe things are intended more literally than I'm giving it credit for.

These new puzzles are hard as gently caress, but I'm pretty relieved to apparently be back to a stage of progression where I can just solve puzzles and not have to meta too hard for a bit. I wonder if any of the shortcuts work in the updated dungeon, not that I'd use them my first go-around

Edit: It also clarified the identities of most of the Void Lords. (Ab)Add(on), (Asmod)Eus, Bee(elzebub), (Mam)Mon, (Sa)Tan, (Belphe)Gor, Lev(iathan), (Lu)Cif(er). Using different parts of the names when shortening them was a pretty clever trick and had me basically fooled.

Thoom fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Apr 6, 2024

Some Strange Flea
Apr 9, 2010

AAA
Pillbug
Lmao. I have just found where the JUSTICE screencap in the OP comes from.

Couple of the B130s (lots of statue pushing) were giving me trouble and I realised I could just re-load the game to restart the room without losing a locust idol. Soon as I realised that save scumming was possible, I knew in my heart I wasn't going to get away with it for long. :D

Concurred
Apr 23, 2003

My team got swept out of the playoffs, and all I got was this avatar and red text

Some Strange Flea posted:

Lmao. I have just found where the JUSTICE screencap in the OP comes from.

Couple of the B130s (lots of statue pushing) were giving me trouble and I realised I could just re-load the game to restart the room without losing a locust idol. Soon as I realised that save scumming was possible, I knew in my heart I wasn't going to get away with it for long. :D

Guilty.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Making progress on the new stuff but still struggling. Stuck on E038. It's like I'm fundamentally missing something. Like I missed a game rule or something. Might take a break and come back to it later. Refresh the brain.

e: yup. Tunnel visioned into forgetting a basic rule. That was all that was in the way. Figured everything out minus the most simple element. Yeah I'm putting the game down for today. :v:

Mindblast fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Apr 6, 2024

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
:dukedog:

Venuz Patrol posted:

these are not puzzle mechanics i want to see together!!!

I put the game down on this one a couple nights ago and it has been haunting me since I haven't had time to go back.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Swilo posted:

I put the game down on this one a couple nights ago and it has been haunting me since I haven't had time to go back.

I slept on it a night and got it done a few minutes after logging back in the next day. New perspective and all that. Really works for me personally. Try again!

Level 1 Thief
Dec 17, 2007

I'm busy, and I'm having fun.
From the new levels:

This game is going to be the death of me I swear to god

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD

Mindblast posted:

I slept on it a night and got it done a few minutes after logging back in the next day. New perspective and all that. Really works for me personally. Try again!

I just didn't have a chance until now, it took about 20 more minutes and of course I was way overcomplicating things. The next level explained a lot, I was wondering what happens if you come in with burdens...

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.

Swilo posted:

I just didn't have a chance until now, it took about 20 more minutes and of course I was way overcomplicating things. The next level explained a lot, I was wondering what happens if you come in with burdens...

you can't bring burdens in at all

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD

lih posted:

That's really hosed, guess you have to play through multiple times to talk to the rocks and solve those Add statues :gonk: Unless they're all just an impossible tease but I'm not sure which would be more cruel.

Calling it a night on E044, some of these puzzles are ridiculous.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

lih posted:

Not when you initially start ex. But Once you're through E031(or somewhat near there) you will notice the situation is different.

Level 1 Thief posted:

From the new levels:

This game is going to be the death of me I swear to god

This is the thing we just talked about a little earlier. Get back to it later. It is more doable than it seems. Reset your head and try again.

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
I really wish the game supported multiple save profiles so I could go back and do some other stuff while stuck on a particular puzzle. I'm in the mood to keep playing but just bashing my face against E058 with a constrained loop of shades and trap tiles and getting nowhere.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014

Swilo posted:

I really wish the game supported multiple save profiles so I could go back and do some other stuff while stuck on a particular puzzle. I'm in the mood to keep playing but just bashing my face against E058 with a constrained loop of shades and trap tiles and getting nowhere.

I guess grabbing save.vs is not quite the same as having a dedicated swap option, huh?

Imagine a brand screen 3 times as large that supports a password system from the olden days but in brand form for you to store "continues"

Some Strange Flea
Apr 9, 2010

AAA
Pillbug
Big thanks to this poster from page 24 for being one of the top google image results for "Void Stranger tail brand"

No Wave posted:

BIG SPOILER!!!

If the world were full of people like me I would put this in the OP btw. I love the game but I don't respect this puzzle.

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
Got past my previous wall almost immediately after sleeping on it as usual, then there were only 2 more levels until the next checkpoint :dumb: I realized my notes were sorely lacking so I went back and replayed it all again over a few sessions in case I was missing anything, picking up new clues along the way, and am now into the final(?) segment. Sadly I need to sleep, hopefully it's smooth going from here on out.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
i found one new ending in EX mode, but there's more to do and i think it's going to require some lateral thinking

Concurred
Apr 23, 2003

My team got swept out of the playoffs, and all I got was this avatar and red text

Venuz Patrol posted:

i found one new ending in EX mode, but there's more to do and i think it's going to require some lateral thinking
:sickos:

I reinstalled it after having played a ton around launch but haven't had the time to jump in

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD

Venuz Patrol posted:

What have you found? I cleared all the stages and want to discuss but there's so little interest or activity outside of the discord.

Gigantic warning for all of EX-mode on this one, obviously:
On E016 I pushed the seemingly conscious and very belligerent rock down a series of holes until a complete dead end where the only option was to crash the game or pick up the E? tile and enter oblivion (does this have a proper name? onion space? the void? carcass land?). Finding the carcass by following the sound got me a new cutscene between a pair of the scientists from the final memory photo (Lev and Mon?) that was cute but didn't reveal much (mostly mocking the playerbase about the solution to the unsolved riddle you get in those wisp bubbles with positive karma), and a new title screen. Sadly when I went back to check it seems this is the exact same thing that happens if you pick up the E? or E0 tile on any other floor so it feels like the "bad" ending.

I'm wondering if not helping the egg results in something else. The only other obvious option was the Cif idol above the stairs on E016 which I can't imagine does anything different, or the ones by the holes in the subsequent floors. I will investigate those another day.

One curious thing I noticed when I went in the second time is the lack of those droning war horns in the background ambience until obtaining the void memory. I don't recall that ever happening in the base game, and their intensity varies by floor.

The E in the floor numbers stands not for Extend but rather Elysium as indicated by the DIS OS error report when corrupting the HUD. That name doesn't ring any bells from this or ZeroRanger.

On E038 there is a lone rock but it behaves like a mindless fallen soul with random dialog instead of lore or clues. Seems like an oversight.

If you want to revisit the EX content but not play through all the early stuff again, break the lorn idol on E001 and head to E002. All the number tiles there lead directly to the burdens! Though there isn't one for E016, so you can't avoid redoing some of the worst in terms of being trial-and-error timing nonsense; I'm looking at you, E008 and E010 :argh:

Game continues to be amazing and I'm looking forward to whatever else they add.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

Swilo posted:

What have you found? I cleared all the stages and want to discuss but there's so little interest or activity outside of the discord.

i also found the new carcass ending. other than that, i haven't made it past E02 yet. I can get a sequence of hints from lone rocks in the earlier levels, but the hints seem to be either misdirections or total lies? I assume floor 34 is relevant since it has one of every enemy type, but i still need to experiment more

Arc Impulse
Jun 5, 2010

Fun Shoe
I'm still muddling my way past EX here, since I'm not big brained enough to have blitzed it all just yet, but it's nice to see the discussion continue on the game with the new update. Made it up to the start of the third major bit so far, but it seems to be alternating between levels which are fine to work out after a bit and those which are designed to stump me for absolute ages after. Unironically love this game.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
the other things about EX stuff i know are using the brand rooms to escape back to "normal" branes, checking / falling down the tile where the stairs normally are in the last room

Wilko
Dec 3, 2013

:toot:
So glad to see they've added more stuff to this, these EX mimic puzzles are hurting my head

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!
If I'm in this for lore/secrets more than pure Sokoban gameplay, is there a reason to do the Lillie run without the sword/wings? I like the direction the story is going here, and I want to keep up my momentum.

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.

Swilo posted:

Gigantic warning for all of EX-mode on this one, obviously:
On E016 I pushed the seemingly conscious and very belligerent rock down a series of holes until a complete dead end where the only option was to crash the game or pick up the E? tile and enter oblivion (does this have a proper name? onion space? the void? carcass land?). Finding the carcass by following the sound got me a new cutscene between a pair of the scientists from the final memory photo (Lev and Mon?) that was cute but didn't reveal much (mostly mocking the playerbase about the solution to the unsolved riddle you get in those wisp bubbles with positive karma), and a new title screen. Sadly when I went back to check it seems this is the exact same thing that happens if you pick up the E? or E0 tile on any other floor so it feels like the "bad" ending.

I'm wondering if not helping the egg results in something else. The only other obvious option was the Cif idol above the stairs on E016 which I can't imagine does anything different, or the ones by the holes in the subsequent floors. I will investigate those another day.

One curious thing I noticed when I went in the second time is the lack of those droning war horns in the background ambience until obtaining the void memory. I don't recall that ever happening in the base game, and their intensity varies by floor.

The E in the floor numbers stands not for Extend but rather Elysium as indicated by the DIS OS error report when corrupting the HUD. That name doesn't ring any bells from this or ZeroRanger.

On E038 there is a lone rock but it behaves like a mindless fallen soul with random dialog instead of lore or clues. Seems like an oversight.

If you want to revisit the EX content but not play through all the early stuff again, break the lorn idol on E001 and head to E002. All the number tiles there lead directly to the burdens! Though there isn't one for E016, so you can't avoid redoing some of the worst in terms of being trial-and-error timing nonsense; I'm looking at you, E008 and E010 :argh:

Game continues to be amazing and I'm looking forward to whatever else they add.

an actual hint if you want it:

the complete dead end isn't a dead end

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD

Thoom posted:

If I'm in this for lore/secrets more than pure Sokoban gameplay, is there a reason to do the Lillie run without the sword/wings? I like the direction the story is going here, and I want to keep up my momentum.

That is purely a bragging rights kind of thing, you won't miss anything by taking all the burdens with you.

lih posted:

an actual hint if you want it:

the complete dead end isn't a dead end

This was on my list :hai:

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
i have absolutely no idea what to do with E02.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
I just started the new content

what the gently caress

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD

Venuz Patrol posted:

i have absolutely no idea what to do with E02.
What have you tried?

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Tortolia posted:

I just started the new content

what the gently caress

please keep us posted :allears:

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

Swilo posted:

What have you tried?

(EX mode) i've received an order from the rocks throughout the other sections. i've tried defeating the enemies both in that order and by ordering from lowest floor to highest floor the specific rocks are found in.

neither order has worked, but that might be because of uncertainty about what "you" and the shade sign require.
-is covering the shade sign with an add statue good enough, or do i need to spawn and kill a shade by dropping it in a pit?
-does "you" refer to Gray, meaning she needs to fall into the pit during the sequence? Does an Add statue count, since that's technically her? could that also require spawning a shade to kill at the right time?
-or could "you" refer to a mimic? there's a room in EX (floor 34) with one of every enemy type, which seems relevant, but the first enemy in the kill order is the Eye, and it's impossible to kill the eye first in that room

The order given by the rocks also changed after I took a diversion to get the new carcass ending, which i think means the order is randomized in every new save file, but it was confusing for a while to try to sort through that

at this point i've tried so much random poo poo that i don't even remember which orders i have or haven't inputted yet

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Venuz Patrol posted:

(EX mode) i've received an order from the rocks throughout the other sections. i've tried defeating the enemies both in that order and by ordering from lowest floor to highest floor the specific rocks are found in.

neither order has worked, but that might be because of uncertainty about what "you" and the shade sign require.
-is covering the shade sign with an add statue good enough, or do i need to spawn and kill a shade by dropping it in a pit?
-does "you" refer to Gray, meaning she needs to fall into the pit during the sequence? Does an Add statue count, since that's technically her? could that also require spawning a shade to kill at the right time?
-or could "you" refer to a mimic? there's a room in EX (floor 34) with one of every enemy type, which seems relevant, but the first enemy in the kill order is the Eye, and it's impossible to kill the eye first in that room

The order given by the rocks also changed after I took a diversion to get the new carcass ending, which i think means the order is randomized in every new save file, but it was confusing for a while to try to sort through that

at this point i've tried so much random poo poo that i don't even remember which orders i have or haven't inputted yet

The order is randomized, but you're on the right track, albeit overthinking it here and there.

Regarding the shade tile: you have to pick it up. I dont think you're allowed to put it down again so everyone has to make their personal plan. In my case it was the second thing to do so I had to set up everything beforehand.

Regarding "you": yes you need to throw yourself in a hole.

And there are more tiles to use than you might initially think. :ssh:

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

Mindblast posted:

The order is randomized, but you're on the right track, albeit overthinking it here and there.

Regarding the shade tile: you have to pick it up. I dont think you're allowed to put it down again so everyone has to make their personal plan. In my case it was the second thing to do so I had to set up everything beforehand.

Regarding "you": yes you need to throw yourself in a hole.

And there are more tiles to use than you might initially think. :ssh:

that did the trick, thanks. i don't hate lateral thinking puzzles, but i always come up with three or four plausible explanations for them and then i get burnt out trying to run through all 8 iterations of every possible interpretation

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
Went back down. Got the "good" ending cutscene, what a bittersweet dream that poor mimic experienced. Have to find my alphabet notes and transcribe those texts.

There was no rock on E016 for the second journey, that seems to be a one-time event unless it has some obscure requirement like beating every EX floor.

It sure would be nice if there were an easy way to change your title screen or a gallery to view all the ones you have unlocked.

Mindblast posted:

I discovered the order being randomized when I went in and my old solution didn't work. It's nifty but kinda tedious because you need to take a tour with the hidden number tiles.

You cannot put the Shade's sign back down.

edit: Transliterated those four screens of text, it's the final verse of O Fortuna

quote:

Sors salutis et virtutis michi nunc contraria
Est affectus et defectus semper in angaria
Hac in hora sine mora corde pulsum tangite
Quod per sortem sternit fortem mecum omnes plangite

I have no idea what relevance that has to anything :raise:

Swilo fucked around with this message at 09:08 on Apr 12, 2024

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Zamujasa posted:

please keep us posted :allears:

EX: I have no idea how I solved E017, I kinda went into a fugue state after 20 minutes and did it. Next few weren’t too bad, but I stopped on E021 for the night; yay for mirrors :shepface:

Just a very rude awakening after not playing for a few months. New song’s kind of a bop though.

PhysicsFrenzy
May 30, 2011

this, too, is physics

Thoom posted:

Swilo posted:

That is purely a bragging rights kind of thing, you won't miss anything by taking all the burdens with you.

yeah i went to hard mode straight from the end of gray and completed it without burdens because i found the empty chests and assumed part of the difficulty was burdens no longer existing. never again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
E022 I do not like you