Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tesla was right
Apr 3, 2009

Whats with all the robot sex avatars?

Swilo posted:

That MISC note is also interesting. Had anybody ever found the previous requirements? I'm assuming it refers to the young girl who shoves you down a pit.

I've unlocked this now. I never found this in the past, but I succeeded now.

I went there as Grey with all the burdens and talked until I exhausted all the dialogue, then I jumped to the next floor using the bee statue.
In the credits for a Dis ending she gets a small scene, screenshotted below:

Also, I found a mimic
(A white box in the top-right corner?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tesla was right
Apr 3, 2009

Tortolia posted:

EX: I have no idea how I solved E017, I kinda went into a fugue state after 20 minutes and did it.

Just a very rude awakening after not playing for a few months. New song’s kind of a bop though.

:shepface: I'm having a very rude introduction to EX. Did you solve E017 without any burdens?
Seriously, this looks impossible!

I've got it! Step on the glass then put the stairs in the hole!

Tesla was right fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Apr 13, 2024

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Tesla was right posted:

:shepface: I'm having a very rude introduction to EX. Did you solve E017 without any burdens?
Seriously, this looks impossible!

:ssh: you cannot start ex with burdens. Everyone has to do this with the same loadout.

Some Strange Flea
Apr 9, 2010

AAA
Pillbug
Okay I'm super confused about one of the merchant hints.

Details below:

"Nothing but a straight road. Take a fall before your reflection."

I've tried dropping down a hole I've created immediately to the left of where I'm stood in the image (i.e "before" my reflection, physically?), removing the stairs and dropping down on the far right, and using my wings to drop the mimic down a hole before dropping down the hole on the far left, none of which seem to do it.
is the shortcut not in this room? Do you need to buy a shortcut on the same run, or do something else, in order to "activate" it?
Or is the timing important? Is the fact that I have the wings a problem? Since it's just a one-space hole which requires me to fly over the hole and then bump a wall in order to fall in (i.e. I can't take the fall "before" my reflection, temporally?)

e: From taking a quick look around, it looks like it's just a skip rather than something with a tangible secret behind it so happy enough to move past it for now, but still v. odd

Some Strange Flea fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Apr 13, 2024

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

Some Strange Flea posted:

Details below:

"Nothing but a straight road. Take a fall before your reflection."

IIRC remove the stairs and fall into the hole left behind. Turn off wings so you fall first, otherwise you'll hover and the mimic will fall first, breaking the shortcut.

Arc Impulse
Jun 5, 2010

Fun Shoe

Some Strange Flea posted:

If you want a few hints on this one, I'll put a few down below in a sorta escalating order followed by the answer:
You're close, but are misunderstanding one thing
You can also disable burdens from the pause menu if needed
This shortcut can be hit without any burdens
What happens if you bump a wall when flying?

Answer: Grab the stairs and then hop down on the space they were originally in

Tesla was right posted:

I did this one the long way then, I didn't even think of that, whoops.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Tesla was right posted:

Also, I found a mimic

That's one of the hints for the new EX mode

Some Strange Flea
Apr 9, 2010

AAA
Pillbug

Scrublord Prime posted:

IIRC remove the stairs and fall into the hole left behind. Turn off wings so you fall first, otherwise you'll hover and the mimic will fall first, breaking the shortcut.

Arc Impulse posted:

If you want a few hints on this one, I'll put a few down below in a sorta escalating order followed by the answer:
You're close, but are misunderstanding one thing
You can also disable burdens from the pause menu if needed
This shortcut can be hit without any burdens
What happens if you bump a wall when flying?

Answer: Grab the stairs and then hop down on the space they were originally in

I did this one the long way then, I didn't even think of that, whoops.
Thank you! Glad to know I had roughly the right idea but had clean plum forgot about being able to disable burdens from the pause menu, which appears to be necessary for this one!

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Tesla was right posted:

I've unlocked this now. I never found this in the past, but I succeeded now.

I went there as Grey with all the burdens and talked until I exhausted all the dialogue, then I jumped to the next floor using the bee statue.
In the credits for a Dis ending she gets a small scene, screenshotted below:

Also, I found a mimic

About the mimic thing, you might have missed it if you're been avoiding spoilers in this thread but it's related to what people have been talking about for the past few pages. I wouldn't advise trying to figure it out yourself since I'm not sure it's actually solvable by one person, but has already been solved, the details are in this post: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4041253&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=31#post538721484

I would say the spoiler in that post is "safe to read" as it only spoils what the deal with the mimics is, which again, I don't think is actually solvable by a single person nor was it intended to be.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, as best I can tell the mimic thing was just designed to be a fun community ARG type thing to unlock the new EX mode.

EX: Oh my god E026 is B213 hard’s angry older brother this is horrible

Tortolia fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Apr 14, 2024

Tesla was right
Apr 3, 2009

The Cheshire Cat posted:

About the mimic thing, you might have missed it if you're been avoiding spoilers in this thread but it's related to what people have been talking about for the past few pages. I wouldn't advise trying to figure it out yourself since I'm not sure it's actually solvable by one person, but has already been solved, the details are in this post: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4041253&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=31#post538721484

I would say the spoiler in that post is "safe to read" as it only spoils what the deal with the mimics is, which again, I don't think is actually solvable by a single person nor was it intended to be.

Yeah, I saw the mimic post but wasn't sure how the mimic sightings worked.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

New stuff completed. I probably missed some stuff but I'm not sure I want to do all these puzzles again just for a few bonus things.

Completed the regular route but messed up with the optional rock I you could kick down the hole. Probably missed out on a bonus thing. Still got the new cutscene tho, as sad as it was. I feel there's more to uncover but for now I'm petered out.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
You can skip most of the puzzles by going straight to E002, which nets you direct easy access to the burdens through UI access and preplaced numbers. It makes it a lot easier.

The rock at the end can only be taken so far and doesn't really do anything special as far as anyone knows. There's a point where it's flatly impossible to continue without shoving it down and going alone

congratulations on beating it!

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Cleared a few more puzzles, now on E029. Have a vague sense of approach here but I think I need to sleep on it more. They’re really enjoying this kind of “set up a tile cascade with limited ways to trigger it” thing, I see.

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!
I've now run into two different SECRET!s obtained by falling in specific places, the second of which was a secret banana in a room (B105) where a worm-like thing is quoting Dante's Inferno. Didn't notice if any specific object popped up for the first one (B066). I have no idea what to make of that, but I'm intrigued.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Puzzles with effective turn limits are my bane. EX E040 I feel like I’ve tunnel visioned on something that feels like it lines up perfectly - stab the south hand, go SE, clear out the first set of the maggots as they perfectly line up for killing, and trap the leftmost of the next trio up north to give my shadows room to exit, but the entire room is seemingly one tile too wide to maintain a proper buffer of zig-zag shadows to work my way back west to the switches and exit.

If nothing else I respect the hell out of their ability to put together compelling sword-only puzzles.

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!
B119, Lillie Edition is a beautiful puzzle. Probably my favorite in the game so far. But I am definitely going to resent it if I have to do it more than twice. The solution is incredibly fiddly and for some reason doesn't stick in my head, so I have to trial and error it each time.

Edit: Nearing the (presumable) end of the Lillie run, and is it just me or do the puzzles suddenly get suspiciously easy in Leviathan's domain? There are a ton of rooms that are just straight up easier than their Grey versions, even without the burdens. Makes me wonder about what other reason those rooms might have to exist.

Thoom fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Apr 19, 2024

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!
gently caress. I'm on the part where you do jigsaw puzzles to reveal a story, but I fat fingered my way into a stair before I finished one of the puzzles on accident and missed one of the scenes. Is there an easy way to go back, or am I going to have to finish this and then carefully make my way through a spoiler minefield to watch it on youtube later? Don't suppose anyone has a safe-ish link to that part specifically? Edit: In fairness, the thread title did warn me about this.

In related stupidity, I got all the way to M in the alphabet countdown sequence before realizing it was telling me how to translate both the murals and the braille-looking text in the hint wall that tells you where the covetous lord pops up to take your locusts. I suspect that's less of an issue though, since I can just infer the missing letters from context.

Thoom fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Apr 20, 2024

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
:dukedog:

Thoom posted:

Edit: Nearing the (presumable) end of the Lillie run, and is it just me or do the puzzles suddenly get suspiciously easy in Leviathan's domain? There are a ton of rooms that are just straight up easier than their Grey versions, even without the burdens. Makes me wonder about what other reason those rooms might have to exist.

There is a very good reason so long as you are not voided.

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!

Swilo posted:

There is a very good reason so long as you are not voided.

I'm not! I wanted to grind out the last 24 memory crystals (because I thought there might only be exactly enough of them), so I made sure to build up a nice buffer of locusts against my stupidity, including a couple of swaps from floor BX99 to a lower number, though these were usually also motivated by having taken one of the shortcuts and wanting to go back to a tree I missed.

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
Did you happen to skip floor B173?

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!
I didn't, but I also didn't notice anything relevant there that I remember. I've made a note to check it out later.

It strikes me that the late game would heavily benefit from the ability to jump straight to a desired floor once you're progressed enough and it also strikes me that the brand entry screen has exactly the right number of squares to input a complete floor number, if only I knew how to represent digits in dot language. Food for thought.

Edit: Translated the message from the locust hint wall. God drat it Mammon. Drink your Ovaltine.

Thoom fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Apr 20, 2024

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!
Getting deep into the weeds here. I finished the Lillie run, and did a few loops as Cif. The first time I flat out didn't notice much at all (but took the opportunity to screenshot the alphabet letters I missed and talk to the charming new characters who pop upk). The second time, I finally diligently took screenshots of every single floor, and I noticed the invisible person in Lev's domain but lost track of them. Third time was the charm and I followed them down the hole (I knew those fake boulders were suspicious!) and met the new puzzle mechanic.

Decided to break for the night at that point, but I did work a bit on organizing my out of game notes. Armed with a full set of screenshots, I solved all of the picross puzzles and realized that each one of them is pointing to a specific tile on a specific floor. One of these tiles is a place I'd previously fallen down and got a "SECRET!" popup, so presumably the others are the same. My one point of confusion is that I also found a SECRET! in B105, which I don't currently have a picross pointing to, but maybe that's in one of the murals I haven't solved yet.

Speaking of unsolved murals, I have a pretty good theory about what I'm supposed to do. My bet is that once I can figure out a way to do a hard reset and get back to the brand entry screen, it will show me a brand I can use to choose to play as Cif, which will point to the floor in Cif's domain that is pre-carved, and might also give me a hint as to the structure of demon brands that will help fill in the other two I'm missing.

Thoom fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Apr 21, 2024

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
You’re making good progress! Thanks for the commentary, it’s fun to read.

Tesla was right
Apr 3, 2009

I'm getting my rear end kicked by E029

The rules as I see it are:
1. The way to take out all of the lazy eyes is to make a path of trodden circle tiles next to them, and then push something onto a trodden tile to trigger it.
2. The only thing I'm capable of moving is a Tan statue.
3. I must not be stood on a circle tile when I take out all the trodden tiles, or I fall with them.

How I've tried to approach this:
1. I can push the Tan statue onto the lazy eye to the right
2. I can pick up a circle tile to cover the gap and go from the left side of the map to the right side
3. I could pick up a normal tile to fill the gap, but then the path of trodden circle tiles doesn't join up
4. I can push the Tan statue onto a trodden circle tile from the right, but I'm standing on a trodden circle tile, so I fall
5. I can't backtrack from right to left because the circle tiles can only be trodden on once
6. There must be a reason why there's two movable Tan statues

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Tesla was right posted:

I'm getting my rear end kicked by E029

I had a lot of fun with that one but it was definitely a "come back the next day once my brain reboots" affair.

As you've surmised, the tile drops need to be from Tan statues pushed onto them to avoid taking you with them. Your understanding of the three rules are correct.

A few tips that might help:

1. What does the presence of two separate Tan statues around the mid stage cluster tell you?
2. Examine the directions the Tan statues can be moved and how that might allow you to manipulate the stage to your liking.

And to be slightly more explicit based on how I solved the stage:

3. Despite the upper hand 1 tile west of where Gray starts the map being in the left half of the stage, consider dealing with that one along with the hands on the right side of the map, not with the left side.

Good luck!

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!
The bomberman snake boss fight with Mon and subsequent ending sequence ruled. A+. No notes.

Somewhat underwhelmed by/dreading the implications of the reward for solving the picross puzzles, which appears to be more memory crystals. This suggests that I'm going to need to collect all of them for something, and I think I left a bunch unclaimed in Lillie's ending sequence (because I'm a moron and stopped caring after unlocking the last available memory), so that's going to be a fun time getting back there. If there are more memory crystals than you need and the rest are just for bragging rights/completion, please just spoil that for me.

I think I have the gist of what to do with at least 2 of the 3 remaining brand puzzles -- when looking over my screenshots for Cif's domain I noticed I'm missing a shot for B223, so I'm guessing I have to locust warp there, which seems easy enough.

No idea about Gor's brand. Everything about the text related to them suggests that it's going to be something stupid/easy/lazy, so it's probably a pretty trivial modification to B157. I did notice that the visible text on the mural is slightly out of order. The other murals read top to bottom, right to left, but when the game translates the visible part of the Gor mural it puts the O in the wrong place. Deeply significant? Typo? I'll find out soon enough.

Having a bit more trouble with Eus's brand. I know it's related to the tail, and I just spent 30 minutes awkwardly dragging around screenshots of levels containing the tail in Krita hoping to make them fit together into a continuous picture, but couldn't quite make sense of it. There seem to be gaps, and/or the pieces don't quite fit together right in important places. I bet I'm overthinking this, so I'm going to take some time off and see if something else pops into my head.

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD

Thoom posted:

If there are more memory crystals than you need and the rest are just for bragging rights/completion, please just spoil that for me.

There are exactly as many memory crystals in the game as you will need to unlock all the memories, but they're just pictures and have no bearing on puzzles or progress.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Thoom, regarding your last paragraph, I will simply state that if you are unable to find a solution after some time, feel free to ask for hints or an outright solution. It is probably the consensus biggest whiff of a puzzle in the game and nobody should let it become a blocker to them past a reasonable level of effort.

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!
Wouldn't be a proper puzzle game without one real stinker of a puzzle. Is my general approach of trying to line up screenshots in a paint program a productive line of inquiry or am I barking up the wrong tree entirely?

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Thoom posted:

Wouldn't be a proper puzzle game without one real stinker of a puzzle. Is my general approach of trying to line up screenshots in a paint program a productive line of inquiry or am I barking up the wrong tree entirely?

You do have the right idea here, but the actual logic of it all is very unintuitive which is why a lot of people end up just looking that one up - even when you know what you're supposed to do it can be hard to figure out how you're supposed to do it in a way that gets you an answer.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
In addition to what The Cheshire Cat states there, I also have inherent bias against it because everything else in the entire Void Stranger experience was and continues to be doable on Steam Deck using nothing more than the built in screenshots and notes features, and for the reasons implied in this discussion, broke that trend rather glaringly.

All is forgiven though, game continues to be great and EX is a masterclass of sicko poo poo in all the best ways

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Tortolia posted:

Thoom, regarding your last paragraph, I will simply state that if you are unable to find a solution after some time, feel free to ask for hints or an outright solution. It is probably the consensus biggest whiff of a puzzle in the game and nobody should let it become a blocker to them past a reasonable level of effort.
it's so dumb :cripes:

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!
Ended up looking up the solution to the Eus brand puzzle. That is some bullshit, as advised. Even knowing the solution I still can't really see how to get to it.

Solved the other two as well. The Cif one was as expected, and confirmed that my original theory about learning something about brand structure was wrong. The Gor one was also kinda bullshit (though admittedly very clever once you know what to look for). I sort of stumbled into it, but it feels like it would be very easy to get stuck there, because AFAIK nothing else in the game behaves that way. As a nitpick, it's weird that the translated text on complete murals goes top-down right-left, but the translated text on defaced murals goes left-right top-down. Seems like either a random inconsistency or specifically there to gently caress with the player in a vaguely unfair way.

Based on the instructions in the Cif secret, I need to break the seals on both traitorous lords (Eus and Gor, based on eggspeak, and also they're the ones with defaced murals). There was also a suspicious hole in the Cif secret area next to an un-openable chest, so maybe that comes in to play somewhere? I have instructions for breaking Eus's seal, and it seems like Gor's seal may already be broken so no further action is required there. Which makes sense, because I then have to go to B000 and say hi to the creature there, which wouldn't be possible to return to from Gor's domain. This will get me a brand, which I then have to input somewhere. I have two candidates: the initial brand entry screen, and B227, which looks like the brand entry screen.

There was also an important-seeming lore tidbit in there about the B in BXXX standing for "brane" (a string from string theory),, so I'll take a minute to summarize what I think I know about the story. The setting of the void seems to be a giant supercomputer facility called DIS, and it's been 70,000 years or more since some disaster struck (was that the war between the void lords, or something else?). People seem to wander in from various places, and the square hole that opened up and swallowed Gray/Lillie in their intros seems to be meant literally and a common factor in the fall-into-the-void experience.

Everything beyond that, I'm much less certain about, because I haven't been given a solid anchor for what's real. Are the other worlds (like Gray's and Freya's) dreams? Are they parallel realities that the void is a nexus for? Are they simulations run by DIS? Is it the other way around and the void is a dream/simulation? What's happening when you eat the fruit and become VOIDed, and who is the weird little sprite that gives it to you? (DIS, maybe?) Was my original theory right and all of this is a complex metaphor for some kind of family trauma? Who are the void lords, really, and why are they named after biblical demons? The fish/jellyfish in Bee/Gor's domain suggests that Add created at least some of the other Void Lords, but was Add created by DIS? Is Add an upload of one of the scientists who built DIS? Are they all computer programs? Am I a computer program? What clever thing is DIS short for, anyway, and will that reveal totally recontextualize the whole story? Find out next time, on Void Stranger!

Thoom fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Apr 22, 2024

Tesla was right
Apr 3, 2009

Thoom posted:

Everything beyond that, I'm much less certain about, because I haven't been given a solid anchor for what's real. Are the other worlds (like Gray's and Freya's) dreams? Are they parallel realities that the void is a nexus for?

Compare the log text that gets printed onto the map when you mess with the UI in Grey and Lillie modes

Tesla was right
Apr 3, 2009

Tortolia posted:

Good luck!

Sayonara, suckers!

:ohdear:

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I actually found that next one relatively straightforward compared to some of the other nonsense, to be honest.

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!
Initially confused when killing Tail didn't immediately open up B000 because the seal in the mural secret area in Gor's domain was already broken, but now I'm realizing maybe that was Mon's seal and the tricky bastard swapped it out. Decided to try killing Gor. I originally didn't think that was possible because you can't get back to B000 from B1XX+ without a soft reset, but it looks like NPC deaths persist. Got the upgraded staff, but no obvious brand to write down with it. Headed down to 227, and took note of the empty brand displayed in B225 on the way (which was going to be my first guess anyway), so I cleared everything out of B227, and voila!

At this point, does it matter if I'm voided or not? I took a 99 locust leap to reach the 200s, so I'm fresh out of extra lives and I don't relish doing all of that again if dying necessitates a reset.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Thoom posted:

At this point, does it matter if I'm voided or not? I took a 99 locust leap to reach the 200s, so I'm fresh out of extra lives and I don't relish doing all of that again if dying necessitates a reset.

It depends on whether or not you are trying to collect all of the memory crystals, as there are some ahead of you with the standard voided-vs-not visibility criteria. In terms of progression though as long as you aren’t voided when you head past the floor B224 tree (which puts you into the Voided musical ending) then you should have proper access to do what you needed on B227 to progress and being voided is immaterial outside of a bit of an Easter egg that is absolutely nowhere near first-run territory.

Tortolia fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Apr 22, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!
Cool. I think I'll just take the death and look up the easter egg/final memory so I don't have to quit out every time I gently caress up.

Speaking of loving up, I almost got spooked by the black statue in the first DIS level, but had the presence of mind to Alt-F4 before the animation finished so it didn't get saved.