Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
This is a very impressive achievement! Congratulations on a big project completed.

You should probably do compression on more than the rulebook, though. Files that big are going to wreck pdf reading devices and the connections of people trying to use VTTs, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Appreciate it, I'll include a note about that. The compressed PDF contains all the game materials in a compressed format as well!

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
I'd maybe even make the compressed version the main file you want people to download and put it on the top of the list, and mark the rest of the files as "high resolution for printing".

Also, cough, some bookmarks would be nice for digital use.,

Megazver fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Mar 18, 2024

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Good idea. Swapped out the names, and swapped out the PDFs with slightly more accessible ones including a version optimized for mobile/tablet viewing. By bookmarks do you just mean a clickable glossary? I was thinking about that. I'll probably add it in tonight if I have time.

Totally open to any other feedback. I've got tunnel vision on this thing.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
If you are using a word processor that supports headings and you have Acrobat installed, you should be able to use 'Save as Adobe PDF' and one of the options will take headings and turn them into bookmarks. Works for Word 365 at least.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
You know, these:

They're crucial if you're trying to run the game off a pdf.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
What are folks' favorite SDXL checkpoints for illustrations and paintings, rather than photorealism? I'm staring down the barrel of a lot of character art, locations, and architecture for a Blades in the Dark game, and by god I'm going to finally make myself use SDXL/Comfy/Fooocus for this. I'm finding that I can get lovely interior shots in an illustrated style using Juggernaut XL, but for some reason whenever I try to do a person it insists on making it photorealistic, come hell or high water.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
I'm afraid I don't know. At some point the system reqs for the newer SD stuff exceeded my potato PC's capacity so I just moved to MJ.

I should probably dive back in and see if I can make the newest stuff work.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
You can just use standard SDXL. You don't need a finetune/checkpoint.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

You can just use standard SDXL. You don't need a finetune/checkpoint.

Man, I wish! I spent a decent portion of the weekend generating portraits, architecture, room interiors, etc., and standard SDXL doesn’t compare to Juggernaut or Fooocus in terms of getting correct anatomy and rooms that look like they were made by sane people. Hands in particular: I’ve yet to see Juggernaut gently caress up a hand. The problem, of course, is the greatly reduced range of art styles it understands compared to the base model.

That said, there appears to be an interesting new piece of tech in town for getting the art style you want: IP Adapter Plus bills itself as being able to make essentially a one-image LoRa, transferring the style of whatever you image give it to whatever you generate. I suspect this could be very useful for making pieces that fit with the art style of a particular RPG, so I’m looking forward to diving into that later in the week when I have the time to build a new workflow. Will report back if it lives up to the hype.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Was messing about with Udio and it came up with this song about playing D&D: Roll The Dice https://www.udio.com/songs/m7xWuS6dB8iXQpBLFsZMyD

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
So I'm currently running the Two-Headed Serpent campaign for Pulp Cthulhu.

It's a good campaign but the NPC portraits are somewhat lacking IMO, so I've been generating my own. At this point, I've made enough that I might as well post about it.

This will contain mild spoilers! I won't spoil the real big stuff, but I'll give away some general details here and there. I'll leave the pretty pictures out of the spoiler tag zone, though.

So, the main premise of the campaign is that there is a humanitarian organization called The Caduceus Foundation that secretly fights the perfidious serpent people and foils the horrible plans of the terrorist organization the Inner Night. So, the structure of the campaign is that the PCs go out on missions in various parts of the world to foil said plans and then come back to Caduceus HQ where they get to hang out with the recurring NPCs.

The main Caduceus folks are the only characters who get higher quality portraits in the book, but they still suffer from a classic CoC problem - everyone looks kinda creepy, even the 'good guys' - so I generated some new ones for everyone anyway.

Left to right, Joshua Meadham the guy funding the whole thing, his bodyguard Canning, Dr. Goncalves the science guy, Delores the secretary, and Phil Conners the Quartermaster.

I like most of these, except for Goncalves, who fell victim from MJ's bizarre inability to generate or recognize classic 1930s pencil moustaches. Sorry Doc. I like doing a bit of theming in portraits when I can, so for everyone in Caduceus, including the PCs, I went with "gold and white in the background". (Inner Night gets "black and gold". Unaffiliated serpentfolk get "green and gold".) It's all a bit sloppy in terms of colors and actual portrait styles, but I have limited MJ credits and no one else gives a gently caress about this, so as long as there's some white and some gold in the background I don't worry too much about the symbolic repercussions of the ratios and patterns or if the artist styles don't quite match.

The PCs get the Caduceus White and Gold as well. As usual, almost all of them went with "ok megazver, what if I was a very pretty girl, again?" so, sigh, okay.

Left to right: Bewildered Texas Ranger, Occultist Russian Emigre, Supermodel Hot Redhead Hitwoman, Supermodel Hot Redhead Weird Scientist, Slightly Sociopathic Doctor Who Is A Little Too Good at Murder.

Anyway, the Campaign starts in Chapter 1, where the PCs travel to Bolivia thinking they are about to bring supplies to a humanitarian camp in the middle of a warzone but are instead unwillingly thrust into some Indiana Jones-style Action Archeology, complete with nefarious rivals trying to beat them to the prize and also murder them.

Here's what the actual portraits look like in the book:

If this was pre-MJ, I'd just sigh and make the best of it, but now I can spend money to satisfy my autism. Left to right, same characters as in original image. I didn't bother generating portraits for the three on the right because you mostly just murder them. But hey, here's a bonus portrait for the Bolivian soldiers unwittingly working for the Inner Night (note the Black and Gold!) as well as an important local, who doesn't even get a portrait in the book.

I have a few more chapters pic'ed up, I'll post some more pictures later.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
What was(were) your style prompt(s)?

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
For all of these, it would start with something along the lines of

'close-up painted portrait of [description], blank disco elysium [colors] background, art by Walter Baumhofer --ar 2:3'

I like honing in on a new look for a new project, so for Two Headed Serpent, which is a globe-trotting pulp horror campaign set in 1933 I took a look at some classic pulp artists and settled on the fantastic Walter Baumhofer. The degree to which the stuff MJ produces actually resembles his art, cough, varies, but there's still a somewhat consistent look.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

These are from a dieselpunk/supernatural/sci-fi campaign I'm running.

My go to MJ prompt was some combination of 'noir,action pose,photograph,black and white, film stock'

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

These are from a dieselpunk/supernatural/sci-fi campaign I'm running.

My go to MJ prompt was some combination of 'noir,action pose,photograph,black and white, film stock'

I really like this one, very atmospheric!

trapstar
Jun 30, 2012

Yo tengo un par de ideas.
Was just recently using GPT 4o to ask what level they thought various TG related character artworks were. This new version is pretty cool!!

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
Working on a Planetary Romance style campaign with art influenced by Boris Vallejo...

Humbug Scoolbus fucked around with this message at 20:02 on May 17, 2024

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Ooh, I like these!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
Have some more then...

and the Dark Destroyer

I cannot wait until my players meet this guy.