Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I've recently been playing around with inpainting via multi-image prompting over generations with MJ. Creating part of your scent, then selecting a portion to change, then swapping out description and adding an image prompt. I can kinda get whatever I want out of it regardless of complexity and number of scene elements. It's great!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
AI GMs aren't going to be viable anytime in the short-term. That being said, I have had great success in using AI as a collaborative storytelling partner in a slightly less traditional RPG format.

I have a little Jurassic Park '93 fan TTRPG I've been toying with for a while, which is mostly worldbuilding rather than game mechanics. I also have a list of random event cards in there, and general rules around those cards such as what should happen when a dinosaur attack occurs and such. I've had a lot of fun popping it in claude.ai (since it has the largest context window) and bouncing the narrative back and forth. Once "we" establish a starting location and a group of characters, I give it a handful of details such as character personality, give it a few vague bullet points for what the scene should be, then tell it to dramatize the action, then tell it to draw a random event card. It does a pretty darn good job of following what I give it, throwing in lots of fun details, then taking the story into an unexpected direction. Then I tell it how the characters react to the scenario, tell it to dramatize it, and have it draw another random event card. It's very fun! It's a little more like I'm the GM and it's the player than the other way around, but for me it's the same effect in the end. As long as I decide the majority of events, the limitations of AI don't really rear their heads much.

I still occasionally run up against limitations, of course. It definitely doesn't "draw" a card at random, it instead picks an event that it thinks lines up with where the story has been going. To combat this, I made a random event roller and throw in those events here and there. It also gets a little confused about geography and such here and there, but that tends to be pretty easy to course-correct. I also had to remove a lot of the mechanics I had defined since it tends to ignore them. But I'm not a very crunchy player so I don't really mind so much. Plus, I wrote the game, so I can always corral it more in the direction I prefer.

At the end of the day it's more like a fan fiction generator than an RPG session, but I'm having fun with that for now. The biggest limitation isn't in the AI itself, but that claude.ai doesn't allow you to go back and edit things like ChatGPT does. If you give it bad instructions, you're stuck with them and have to do a "ignore the last prompt and your last response..." which is annoying.

e: This kinda stuff:

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Oct 28, 2023

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
The site interface is poo poo, though.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

So I made an unofficial Jurassic Park tabletop RPG which extensively uses AI imagery to create the illustrations in the book and the associated game materials such as action and item cards. Then I heavily edited, modified, and overpainted them to get them closer to my vision. I primarily used ChatGPT to generate the base-imagery, then used a combination of manual Photoshop, Photoshop's Generative Fill, a local Stable Diffusion model, and the online service getimg.ai to get them where I wanted them to be.

Here's the Jurassic Park: Edge of Chaos itch.io page.

And here's some of the cards for a preview of things:

I learned so much about AI tools during the course of this, and now view them as a truly invaluable part of my workflow. Ethically I'm against any of this stuff being used in commercial projects, but I think it's perfect for a fan project like this where everything is already derivative and used without permission.

e: Oh yeah, this is kinda a cross-post from my Jurassic Park Choose Your Own Adventure thread that I'm seeing if people want to get going again.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Mar 18, 2024

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Exactly—I've got a note in the book about AI art where I describe it as akin to collage as well. I more or less feel like that's where I've landed on the ethical debate. There can be a significant amount of artistry and craftsmanship that goes into an AI-derived work, just as there can be with any derivative work. But anything that uses AI, whether as a base image or as training data in the use of a Generative Fill-style tool, is a derivative work in the exact same way as using and modifying an existing work for a collage. There are some grey areas and fuzzy lines with artistry and ownership, but the only stuff I consider mine in there is the stuff I built from the ground up like the blueprints and the graphic design.

Some images in there just have minor touchups, removing AI gremlins from the background, smoothings out surfaces with weird greeblies, or resizing different parts of the image to retain an accurate scale. But most images involved extensive modification and have very little resemblance to the original image. No matter what, I don't consider any of them my original works. If anything I feel like an art director, requesting particular images and giving notes. They're not my art, but I did have a heavy hand in their direction.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Appreciate it, I'll include a note about that. The compressed PDF contains all the game materials in a compressed format as well!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Good idea. Swapped out the names, and swapped out the PDFs with slightly more accessible ones including a version optimized for mobile/tablet viewing. By bookmarks do you just mean a clickable glossary? I was thinking about that. I'll probably add it in tonight if I have time.

Totally open to any other feedback. I've got tunnel vision on this thing.